Lunar Rising

Od marcyswales17

"Defy the light and uncover what the cosmos has chosen to veil....for every moon has a dark side." In the af... Více

Prologue
Ch.1 Red Sail
Ch.2 The Jasmine Thief
Ch.3 Helios
Ch.5 Promiscuius
Ch.6 Crimes
Ch.7 Two Side Of The Same Moon
Ch.8 Dark Side of the Moon
Ch.9 Shadowfox
Ch.11 Council
Ch.12 Death
Ch.12 True Guardian
Ch.13 Siren's Call
Ch. 14. Venomfire
Ch. 15 She's Water
Ch. 16 Moral Compass
Ch.17 Ivory Tower
Ch.18 Fool For Pretty Eyes
Ch. 19 My Moon
Ch.20 Bloom
Ch.21 Honeybee
Ch.22 Sugar Dumplings
Ch.23 Three is a crowd
Ch.24 Fire and Ice
Ch.25 Husband
Ch.26 Voreios
Ch.27 Diamond
Ch. 28 Haunted Dreams
Ch. 29 Shadowshade
Ch.30 Friendship
Ch.31 Songbird
Ch.32 King's Play
Ch.33 Oh, Brother
Ch.34 Blue
Ch. 35 Fish in the sea
Ch.36 Dream Effects
Ch.37 Willow
Ch.38 Flower
Ch.39 Dead of Night
Ch.40 Best Soldier
Ch.41 Devour
Ch. 42 Penn

Ch.4 Waves

641 109 34
Od marcyswales17

Chapter 4

"My god," June whispered from her seat beside Meera at the banquet table. "Is he real or is he a figment of my imagination?"

Meera's eyes lifted, compelled by June's hushed words, and traced the path to where Eryx sat. A shiver danced down her spine as she took in his presence. His raven-dark curls framed his face, his nose, chiseled and sharp, hinting at an aristocratic lineage, and his piercing eyes, a silvery gray like storm clouds on a moonlit night...

Even from across the room, Meera could sense an electrifying energy emanating from him, an unexplainable pull that made her acutely aware of his presence. The air seemed to hum with an indefinable tension as his gaze, like a silver spotlight, swept over the faces in the hall before inevitably coming to rest upon her.

Meera, caught in the crossfire of that penetrating gaze, quickly averted her eyes, a flush of warmth coloring her cheeks. June's playful giggle beside her only deepened the crimson of her cheeks.

"Who's that lady with him?" Marcella questioned, leaning towards her sister and whispering to Meera. Meera's lashes lifted once more to the beautiful woman beside Eryx.

"Am I supposed to know everything?" She replied.

"Well, you danced with him," June said. "Didn't you ask him?"

"Of course, I said," Meera said sarcastically. "Right after we talked about our hobbies and dreams."

"What entertains him?" June's eyes lit up.

"June!" Meera forcefully pulled her cousin's arm down. "I didn't speak to him, you idiot."

"She's very beautiful," Marcella remarked, sneaking glasses towards the woman once more. "Do you think that's his fiancee?"

"He's engaged?" Meera's raised a brow.

"Yes, hello. Where have you been?" Marcella sipped her wine. "The whole palace has been talking about him for days. He's engaged to Lady Dawn Desmond. Her father is King Hemming's advisor."

"So she must be Lady Dawn then, right?" June looked at the two girls sitting on either side of her.

"That," Ozmen suddenly leaned over the back of June's chair and let out a sigh. His hooded eyes tracked the woman's movements as a sly smile played on his lips. "Is Zeya Winter. Her father is a nobleman in Voreious. She's here to shadow Eryx and learn diplomacy."

"What a fitting name," Marcella admired, her fascination with the mysterious woman growing.

All at once, the siblings and Meera turned their gaze towards the beautiful woman sitting beside Eryx. Zeya Winter looked as if she had descended from heaven on a cloud of dreams. And from that cloud of dreams, she had taken the time to paint her skin the color of midnight and mahogany. Her hair was a wild cascade of curls, an exuberant dance of coils that defied gravity and embraced the air around her. The curls, full-bodied and luscious, framed her face like a halo.

"I know that look, Ozmen," Marcella peered at her brother with disapproval. "She's too beautiful for you."

"And tall," June teased.

"I guess then I'll just have to put her legs over my shoulder," Ozmen chuckled as he sauntered away.

"What does he mean?" Meera asked, her brows furrowing in confusion.

"Who knows," Marcella shrugged, her expression a mix of bewilderment and amusement. "Probably just Ozmen being his usual charming self – and by charming, I mean completely ridiculous."

"Oh, she's looking at us!" June suddenly gasped, her startled movements knocking over the glass of wine in front of her and extinguishing the burning candle on the table.

"For heaven's sake," Marcella hissed as she grabbed the cloth on her lap, hastily patting the table dry. "Can you be any more embarrassing, June?"

"I wasn't trying to be," June groaned.

"I don't think anyone tries to be embarrassing," Meera frowned, feeling the spilled wine on her hands. Her gaze dropped to the stains on the fitted sleeves of her gown, and the frown on her face deepened.

"I am so sorry, Meera," June began to apologize, recognizing the mess she had created. "Let me help you."

"It's alright," Meera pulled back to avoid the second glass June knocked over.

"Stay still!" Marcella complained, grabbing her sister's elbow and the other clothes on the table. "Meera, stand up before the wine gets on your dress."

Pushing her chair back, Meera jumped to her feet, quickly stepping away as Henry came to stand beside her.

"What's wrong?" He asked, placing a protective hand on her lower back.

"It's nothing," Meera shook her head. "Just a small spill."

"Your dress," Henry reached out and touched the edge of Meera's sleeves.

"A good wash will take care of it," Meera suggested.

"This is silk from Delphina," Henry explained. "My mother had this dress made for you."

"It was my fault," June remarked. "I spilled the wine."

"You should have been more careful," Henry frowned. "Especially when you're sitting beside the bride in a white dress, Princess."

"Henry," Meera touched his shoulder as she witnessed the way June's eyes cowered. "It's just a spill. I can wash it off."

Henry's eyes lingered on June for a few long seconds before he turned back towards Meera.

"You should soak it before the stain sets," he said.

"Yes," Meera nodded, feeling June and Marcella's eyes on her. She picked up her dress and stepped away from the table. The three women exchanged glances, silently agreeing that Henry's scolding had made an ordinary spill feel like a royal catastrophe.

But Meera held her tongue and her thoughts to herself as she made her way around the banquet tables and slipped out of the grand hall. She politely asked one of the servants to bring her some water and a washcloth as she began to hurry toward the gardens.

"Meera," Henry called after her, attempting to gain her attention and halt her rushed departure.

"That wasn't very polite, Henry," Meera said without stopping, marching purposefully toward the garden. "June is clumsy. She made a mistake."

Her voice carried a subtle undercurrent of disappointment and frustration, a rare occurrence for the typically composed bride-to-be.

"I apologize, Princess," Henry caught her elbow and halted her in her tracks. "Look at me, please."

Meera, her weariness evident in the lines etched on her face, allowed Henry to turn her towards him. She looked up at him with a frown, her patience worn thin, waiting to hear what else he had to say.

"You just look so perfect tonight," Henry began. His eyes scanned Meera's face as his hands moved to her shoulders. "I don't want anything spoiling our day."

"You should apologize to June," Meera said, her tone carrying a hint of tired exasperation. "She's not used to people speaking to her in that manner."

"Maybe she should learn, then," Henry chuckled.

"Excuse me?" Meera's brow raised.

"I'm just teasing," Henry shook his head. "I'll let her know I feel terrible for the way I spoke to her."

"Thank you," Meera took in a deep breath.

"Will you smile for me now?" Henry placed his hand under Meera's chin and tipped her head back.

Meera wasn't in the mood to smile. Her shoulders felt tense, and her heart still hummed from the after-shock of dancing with Eryx. If it were up to her, she would have excused herself to her room. A part of her couldn't wait for the night to end. Her lack of enthusiasm was palpable, casting a shadow over the festivities that Henry seemed oblivious to.

"You're finally mine," Henry whispered taking a step closer.

"Not yet," Meera reminded him. "We've only exchanged rings."

"And we haven't exchanged our souls yet?" Henry teased. He moved his hand and laid it against Meera's face. His gaze dropped to her plump lips as he began to slowly lower his mouth.

"Henry..." Meera spoke his name in a soft breath. Her heart began to pound inside her chest. "What if someone sees us?"

"It's okay," Henry whispered. "You're my bride."

Meera's throat dried. Her sweaty palms gripped the silk of her dress and she bit down on her bottom lip.

"We were made for each other, Meera," Henry declared. "Like the stars were made for the moon."

Meera's beating heart couldn't keep up with her racing thoughts. The night air felt too warm against the back of her neck. Her legs felt funny and the strangest scent of pine and cedarwood tickled her nose. Meera's head began to sway as Henry moved her a bit closer.

"I love you, Meera," He confessed.

Holding her breath, Meera closed her eyes and tightened her grip on her dress. Her fluttering heart hummed restlessly inside her chest as it pushed out a river of anxious nerves.

Meera could feel Henry grow closer, the warmth of his presence covering her. His fingers spread over her cheek, a tender promise of a kiss. Determined to make this moment unforgettable, Meera tried to push out all extraneous sounds from her head, immersing herself in the present, in the embrace of her first kiss.

She longed to feel Henry's touch, to experience the elusive sparks that the maids had whispered about in hushed conversations. Meera yearned to be present in the moment, not entangled in the echoes of the restless sea in her mind.

Trying her hardest, Meera tilted her head towards Henry and waited. But before she could fully surrender to the kiss, an ear-piercing cry shattered the night.

Meera jumped, her eyes snapping open, and she instinctively stepped back.

Overhead, Helios spread his enormous wings, a majestic silhouette against the night sky. His shadow swept over Henry's face before the falcon executed a smooth landing on one of the branches nearby.

With her heart pounding, Meera's gaze shifted from Henry to Helios. The bird's black eyes peered back at her as if asking her a million questions.

Meera swallowed nervously as the scent of pine and cedarwood grew.

"I should go back inside," she said, gathering herself.

"It's just a bird," Henry remarked.

"If he's here, then Eryx is nearby."

"Right," Henry chuckled. He scratched the back of his head and flashed Meera his dimple smile. "I guess we'll have to wait."

Meera slowly nodded, "Are you coming back inside?"

"Yes," Henry cleared his throat.

Turning on her heels, Meera headed back towards the hall. She could still feel Helios watching her. His piercing gaze was locked on the back of her head. It made the hair on the back of her neck stand on their edges.

"Are you alright?" Henry asked when he noticed Meera shiver.

"Yes," Meera nodded. "That bird .... It's very unsettling."

"A dumb creature," Henry dismissed her.

"He looks as if he understands everything, sees everything."

"Maybe Eryx rubbed off on him," Henry said. "By the way, what did you two talk about?"

"Who?" Meera wondered.
"You and Eryx," Henry laughed. "Who else? I saw you conversing with him on the dance floor."

"It was nothing," Meera shook her head.

"You seemed upset," Henry noted. "Did he say something to you?"

"No," Meera shook her head.

"Hmm," Henry nodded. "Well, if he ever does, let me know. Nobody makes my princess sad."

His words made Meera smile. She admired his desire to protect her.

"Was this your first time meeting him?" Henry asked, checking Meera's ring under the lamplight.

"Eryx?" Meera asked. "Yes. I've never met him before."

"It didn't seem that way," Henry said.

"What do you mean?"

"He called you by your name," Henry reminded her.

"Maybe that's how people are addressed in Voreios."

"Perhaps," Henry sighed. "Let's go back inside. Everyone's waiting and we still haven't shared one dance."

"Isn't that just awful," Meera sighed, teasing him with a deep frown. "I've danced with half the kingdom but the man I'm about to marry."

"From now on, you shall only dance with me," Henry hooked his arm around Meera's waist and lifted her feet off the ground. He spun her around and carried her up the few steps that led to the grand hall. They could hear all the voices and the music pouring out as they paused to take a second longer to share their private moment.

Henry rested his forehead against Meera and took in a deep breath. His eyes closed and he once again took hold of Meera's shoulders.

"I didn't like seeing him dancing with y-"

"Henry!"

For the second time, Meera jumped in fright and instinctively stepped away from the man she was meant to marry. Henry, his eyes filled with concern, looked up as Ozmen hurried out of the grand hall with a panicked look in his eyes.

"What's the matter?" Henry asked immediately.

"We have to evacuate the city below the high walls," Ozmen announced, his words hanging heavy in the atmosphere.

"What for?" Henry wondered, a furrow forming on his brow.

"Is everything okay?" Meera stepped closer to her cousin, a gnawing unease settling in the pit of her stomach.

"No," Ozmen shook his head, the urgency in his voice cutting through the air. "There's been an earthquake in Delphina. We just received a raven. There's a large wave headed towards Ameera."

"A large wave?" Henry asked in confusion, his eyes darting between Meera and Ozmen.

Meera felt her bones chill as the gravity of Ozmen's words sank in.

"A tsunami..." she said breathlessly, her ears starting to ring.

Ozmen's eyes flickered from Meera's pale face to Henry, "Yes. We have to alert the people. Move as many as we can."

"There's isn't enough time," Meera began to feel breathless. The sound of the waves was louder than ever. "We'll never be able to evacuate everyone in time. The wave will be here before midnight!"

"You can't possibly know that," Henry shook his head. "Oz, get your men. I will come with you."

"Oz," Meera grabbed her cousin's arm. "The wave will be too powerful. You have to tell everyone to move farther north. Past the palace walls. Everyone in the palace needs to get to safety."

"The water will never make it this far inland," Ozmen shook his head. "We just have to get the lower city to move past the high walls."

"That won't be enough!" Meera tried to explain.

The two were already starting to rush out of the celebration. Meera watched her uncle and Hnery's father hurry off to speak to the soldiers as Neftali's advisors hurried behind them. Sion emerged behind the crowd and his eyes scanned the garden until they landed on Meera.

"Princess," he called to her, his voice coated with worry.

"I knew something was wrong, Sion," Meera reached for the old man but before she could get to him, Henry turned her away towards Marcella.

"What are you doing?" Meera demanded.

"Stay here," Henry said. "My men will look after you and my mother."

"I can't stay here," Meera said. "My people are out there."

"We will handle it," Henry said.

"No, I can help-"

"Help?" Henry frowned. "How? What can you possibly do to help in this situation, Meera?"

"I...." Meera felt the words lodge into her throat. "I...."

Henry stepped closer and touched the edge of her face with great urgency.

"Stay here," he said. "Stay safe. You'll just get in the way down there."

The tension hung in the air like an unspoken storm. Meera's frustration collided with the reality of her limitations. The urgency of the impending disaster made her tremble with fear. So many families....so many homes....so many generations...

"Come, Meera," Marcella said, gently taking Meera's hand from Henry as he turned and hurried off after Ozmen.

"Princess-" Sion tried once again but Henry paused beside the old man and urged him to follow him out and leave the ladies to retire to their room.

"Marcella," Meera reached for her cousin's hand while her eyes watched Sion and Henry disappear down the corridor. "We have to help them..."

"How?" Marcella asked. "Henry's right. We'll just get in the way. We need to stay here so they know at least we're safe."

"But we're not safe here," Meera looked towards her cousin.

"Meera, don't be afraid," Ada suddenly appeared beside the two girls. "Let the men do what they do best. Come, my child. You've had a long day."

"But I-"

"You need to rest," Ada insisted. "We'll need to change out the flowers in your hair again tonight. Have you been bathing in rose water daily?"

Meera didn't hear a single word the woman said. Her thoughts were consumed by the impending danger, her concern for those beyond the palace walls overshadowing all else. Her feet barely cooperated as she was led back to her room, leaving behind the urgent murmurs of Marcella and Ada discussing wedding preparations and wavering hopes about the waves not delaying the impending nuptials any further.

Meera's mind remained tethered to the impending catastrophe outside the palace walls as she entered her room. Upon seeing the view of the sea beyond her balcony, the urgency of the situation intensified. Meera's resolve to help her people became an unrelenting pulse in her veins.

"Don't worry so much, my sweet child," Ada patted Meera's shoulder. "Henry knows what he's doing. He's been so responsible with everything regarding the transition of Delphina. I keep telling Darwin that I think our son will make a fine king for Dalphina. What do you think, Meera?"

"I....." Meera lowered herself to the edge of her bed. "I suddenly feel so ill."

"What's wrong, dear?" Ada frowned.

"Are you alright?" Marcella stepped closer.

"It's been such a long day," Meera shut her eyes and touched her forehead with her trembling hands.

"It has been," Ada nodded in agreement. "Take rest, my love. Don't worry about anything. I'm sure the men will get everyone to safety."

"Yes," Meera answered in a weak voice. "I'm afraid Henry was correct. There's nothing we can do but get in their way."

"You can go out in the morning and offer your prayers to the people," Ada suggested. "I'm sure they will be very grateful."

"Yes," Meera nodded.

"Do you need something?" Marcella asked, worried for her cousin. "Have you had any food?"

"I just want to rest," Meera said. "Please."

"I'll send Naya in here to help you change."

"No," Meera shook her head. "She talks so much. I can undress myself. I would like to retire for the night."

"Certainly," Ada nodded. "Good night, sweetheart. Hope you have a restful sleep."

"Thank you," Meera sighed and slouched her shoulders as if she was too weak to say much. She leaned against the pillows on her bed until Marcella rose to her feet and followed Ada out the door.

After several long minutes, Meera opened her eyes and listened quietly to the sounds outside. When she was sure he could not hear anyone, she bolted up from bed and began to move.

Meera hastily discarded the ornate gown she wore for the celebration and exchanged it for a more practical ensemble. The muted sounds of the impending disaster echoed through the corridors, further fueling her determination to make a difference as she grabbed a black cloak she had been hiding under her bed and threw it around her shoulders.

Silently slipping out of her room, Meera navigated the labyrinthine palace halls with the finesse of a shadow. The night air held a charged tension, a symphony of distant waves and distant shouts. Meera's steps were guided by a singular purpose, to reach the vulnerable lower city and protect her people.

With each hallway she passed, the rhythmic pulse of her heart mirrored the approaching calamity. The palace guards, preoccupied with their tasks, remained oblivious to her departure. Meera's mind raced with thoughts of the people she cared for, knowing that every passing moment brought them closer to the impending danger. She made her way to the back walls where she quickly slipped out through her usual doorway and landed on the hay on the other side of the wall.

Meera stepped into the night, her movements deft and silent. The sea breeze carried the scent of salt, mingling with the faint urgency that resonated from the city below. The whispers of the impending disaster became more pronounced as she approached the edge of the high walls that surrounded the luxury homes of the noblemen. Meera's resolve solidified as she cast a fleeting glance back at the palace, knowing that she was forsaking its safety for a greater purpose.

Beyond the safety of the palace walls, Meera found herself enveloped by the sounds of distress. The distant cries of her people mingled with the roar of the approaching wave. In the shadows, she glimpsed the outlines of the palace guards coordinating their efforts.

Without hesitation, Meera blended into the chaos, her royal identity concealed by the cloak. The sea still called to her, its voice stronger than ever before. She felt the energy in her veins surge within her, a reservoir of strength awaiting release. The chilling touch of the wind urged her forward, guiding her steps toward the lower city.

Shrouded by the velvety curtain of night, Meera stealthily navigated her way through the alleys that led to the harbor. The urgency of the impending tsunami resonated in every echoing footstep, pushing her to hasten her pace.

As she reached the harbor, Meera found a concealed nook nestled between stacked crates and empty barrels. The spot granted her a vantage point to observe the sleepless sea and yet remain obscured from the watchful eyes of the city.

With a determined breath, Meera extended her hand towards the water. As the tips of her fingers touched the surface, she felt the sea reach up toward her begging for help. The water ran up her arm, catching Meera by surprise. Its buzzing energy dug into her skin with its claws as if the water was too afraid to be separated from her. The once tranquil sea now cried with restlessness, mirroring the anxiety that gripped the city. Meera's heart pounded inside of her chest. She did not know how to calm the sea. She had never felt such fear.

Meera closed her eyes, shutting out the chaos around her, and delved into the recesses of her abilities. The water immediately responded to her touch, its frenetic waves crashing against the shore in an attempt to get closer to Meera. The rolling sound of thunder started to growl in the clouds and the winds picked up.

Meera let the water run through the space between her fingers. She imagined a loved one holding onto her as they faced a fearful dream. Her throat dried as she slowly absorbed all the fear and worry.

The lower city behind her was beginning to grow quiet. The flickering light from the torches left behind started to die one by one as the clouds cried and their tears fell to earth.

Meera willed her mind to speak to the sea. She sang to it as if it were a child. She hummed softly against the howling wind. With each passing second, the rain grew stronger and the waves bigger. The hood over Meera's head flew off and the raindrops began to beat against her face like small pebbles.

"Come on," she pleaded with the sea. "Let me help you...."

As if to tell her she couldn't, the sea rolled a wave of unbridled energy towards Meera's hand in the water. The sheer strength and the anger pushed Meera back several feet, tossing her aside like a rag doll.
Meera fell against the stacked crates and threw her arm above her head to protect herself from the falling objects. She rolled away and struggled to her feet as the first wave crashed against the docks and rose ten feet high.

"No...." Meera whispered, her eyes growing wide.

The violent wave broke through the smaller docks like paper. Large and small pieces of wood were sent flying fifteen feet into the air. Meera barely had time to think as the water retreated and she felt another wave gearing up to assault her homeland.

"No, no," Meera ran forward and held up her hands. "Stop!"

Suddenly, like a start bursting to create an infinite amount of energy in the universe, Meera felt something within her burst into a million pieces. She felt a surge of strength roll over her and reach the tips of her fingers, causing the thirty-foot wave before her to come to a sudden halt.

Meera's arms began to tremble as she felt the weight of the wave loom towards her. The bones in her arms began to ache as if on the verge of snapping. Her eyes watered and the tears mixed in with the rain.

Meera had no understanding of what she was doing. The wave continued to increase its strength as the palms of her hands began to burn. Her skin felt as if she had been continuously scraping it against an abrasive rock. The skin felt torn and bloody. Meera began to see stars in her vision as she pushed past the pain and held her position against the wave.

"You..." she said through her teeth. "Are......not........wanted......here!"

Using all her strength, Meera lowered her arms to either side of her as if she were slicing the air in half.

With a roar, the thirty feet wave split down the middle and fell back into the sea like a violent fountain.

Meera watched the sea devour the water as all the strength left her body. She raised her hand as if she could call it to her but her body was already sinking to the floor. Meera tried to brace herself for the impact when suddenly, a pair of strong iron-like arms caught her.

"I..." Meera tried to speak as her eyes landed on the figure who held her in his arms. "Eryx...."

"At your service, Your Majesty," Eryx said, leaning forward to shield Meera's face from the pouring rain.   

Let me hear all of your thoughts :P 

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

32.9K 2.1K 57
(3RD BOOK OF CRYPTIC SERIES) Peace: the thing all search and fight for. It lasts for a while but inevitably crumbles to dust. So when an allied empir...
210K 12.6K 32
*Now a featured Wattpad story! Zara was never meant to be an outcast. Once upon a time, she was a Red Cape- a member of the respected forest guard. T...
13.4K 511 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
422 65 30
Sisters who were brought to a new realm facing challenges one after the other. Times become hard as they have to learn to rely on themselves as they...