The Healer

By MEllenH

Evelyn was sent up to The Maze with the original Gladers. She was the lone girl right from the start. But bei... More

Author's Notes
Prologue
Chapter 1: Birthday Wish
Chapter 2: Waking up
Chapter 3: Not a Witch
Chapter 4: First Gathering
Chapter 5: Nighttime Secrets
Chapter 6: The Glade
Chapter 7: A Hurting Heart
Chapter 8: Banishment
Chapter 9: The Syringe
Chapter 10: Grief
Chapter 11: Moonlit Forest
Chapter 12: Final Human Trial
Chapter 13: Don't Worry
Chapter 14: Rock Bottom
Chapter 15: Broken
Chapter 16: Listless Feelings
Chapter 17: Found & Awake
Chapter 18: Angel in Moonlight
Chapter 19: Anger
Chapter 20: Deal
Chapter 21: Quality Time
Chapter 22: Blushing
Author Note
chapter 24: The Box
Chapter 25: Bloody Wounds
Chapter 26: Glade Princess
Chapter 27: Awake
Chapter 28: Tease
Chapter 29: Taste Testing
Chapter 30: Tipsy Little Pixy
Chapter 31: Hangovers
Chapter 32: Follow the Flame
Chapter 33: Game On
Chapter 34: The Healer
Chapter 35: Fire
Chapter 36: Chuck
Chapter 37: Grief in the Forest
Chapter 38: Greenie Day
Chapter 39: Hurt Feelings
Chapter 40: Another Greenie
Chapter 41: Slammed Shut
Chapter 42: A Night
Chapter 43: Numbness
Chapter 44: Confessions
Chapter 45: Decisions
Chapter 46: Banishment
Chapter 47: Bloody Halls
Chapter 48: Take a Shower
Chapter 49: The Girl
Chapter 50: Voices in my Head
Chapter 51: Hammock in the Forest
Chapter 52: Section 4
Chapter 53: The Cliff
Chapter 54: Voices and Leaders
Chapter 55: Attacked
Chapter 56: Gally's Warning
Chapter 57: The Truth of it All
Chapter 58: Be Careful. Don't Die.
Chapter 59: The Hall
Chapter 60: Near Death
Chapter 61: The Final Variable
Chapter 62: Rescued

Chapter 23: I'm Yours

586 24 110
By MEllenH

Just before lunch there was a knock on the door. Evelyn looked up from stitching up the slicer on the bed.

"Come in."

"Is Newlyn decent?" The voice called.

"DAMMIT GALLY! NOT YOU TOO!" She yelled.

There was a chuckle and the door slowly opened. Jeff stood at the shelf howling, Newt was trying very hard not to laugh. Steve the slicer snorted and laughed silently, slapping a hand over his mouth. Evelyn stuck the needle a little more aggressively into his skin, making him yelp.

Gally came in chuckling, "couldn't help it Eve. Sorry."

"No you aren't, don't shucken lie to me!"

He grinned sheepishly at her. She rolled her eyes.

"What can I do for you Gal?"

"I have that request ready."

"Oh awesome! Thanks Gal! Give me a second." She grinned brightly.

She quickly finished stitching Steve and shooed him out the door. She turned to Gally. He led her outside and showed her the crutches leaning on the side of the Hut. She grinned, placing a hand in his arm, "thank you Gal! It will be so helpful!"

He just nodded.

"Seriously. Thank you." She gave him a quick hug.

"Do you want me to stay? If ya need help?"

"Sure. You'd probably be able to keep him more stable than me!"

They brought the crutches inside, and into Newt's room. He was still copying her notes into the notebook. He looked up when the three of them walked in.

"Hey, Gally! How ya doin'?"

"Fine." He shrugged, "you?"

"Eve keeps me busy."

"I'm sure she does." He smirked

"Gally! The shuck!" She swatted him, Newt grinned back.

"She sure does!"

"THE SHUCKEN HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS! SERIOUSLY?! ENOUGH!" she yelled.

"Sorry Love." He stopped laughing, but still had a proud smirk on his face.

Her happy mood burst with these immature comments directed towards her  and implying everything and all things sexual. She lost her smile.

"Gally made you some crutches so you can get around now." She snapped.

"Oh!" He looked nervous. "That's great."

"Short outings, and we'll slowly increase them. But four weeks and it should be healed enough to get up." Jeff explained. "Eve will give your leg a quick look over, we will rewrap it and off ya go!"

"Sounds good."

Jeff and Gally left and Evelyn sat down without a word, and started undoing the knots of the cloth that kept the splint in place. She kept her head down and her fingers worked furiously. She felt the sting of frustrated tears.

"Eve?" Newt asked, his voice was quiet.

She shifted, "What Newt?" She asked, her voice was sharp.

"I'm sorry, Love."

Her hands stopped working on one of the knifes and looked up, glaring at him.

"Are you sure? 'Cause you said that this morning and then you say more Klunk. I don't like it Newt. No one says anything out any of the guys who are together. It's just all me. They left me alone before, but now...that's all they can joke about is me and my body and what you do to it."

She felt the sting of frustrated tears. Newt looked at her with big sad eyes. He gently sat forward, grabbing her hands and holding them tight.

"Evelyn, I'm so sorry. I won' do it anymore. I promise, an' if I hear the others do it I'll make 'em stop."

She continued to glared at him. He let go of her hand and cupped her cheek gently.

"You mean too bloody much for me to lose ya over some stupid immature buggen' jokes."

She took a ragged breath.

"I mean it Love." He said sincerely.

"Thank you."

He smiled at her, making his eyes light up. She lifted the corners of her mouth. He pulled her closer and kissed her forehead. Letting her go she went back to untying the knots. Gingerly she removed the splint and then unwrapped the cloth around his leg. The swelling was gone and the bruising had faded. She gently had him flex and bend his ankle, she knew his knee was fine, but his ankle was stiff, and it was a matter of weight bearing that concerned her.

"Well from looking, it looks great. I'm going to try and feel what's going on, okay?"

He nodded apprehensively. Taking a deep breath, she placed both hands around his shin and closed her eyes. She could feel the blood pumping through the veins, the swelling was gone everything inside felt fine. She opened her eyes and looked up, with a smile.

"Feels good. It's just a matter of weight bearing and how you feel."

He nodded. She rewrapped his ankle with a tenser bandage and another one all up his shin, then rewrapped the splint, just giving his leg extra support. She got up and grabbed the crutches, bringing them over. Newt had slid to the edge of the bed. Placing both feet on the ground.

Jeff and Gally had come back in, and on each side of him and with a hand under each arm they helped him up. Newt took the crutches and slowly moved around the room. He turned towards them with a big smile.

"Thanks man!" He beamed at Gally.

Gally had his hands shoved in his pockets and nodded.

"If you need anything else, lemme know."

Jeff and him left together for lunch. Evelyn walked slowly beside Newt, holding the door for him. It took about half way across the Glade before he got the hang of crutches.

He suddenly slowled down and stopped. Evelyn stopped, sending a shift in his mood.

"What's wrong?" She asked quietly.

"Everyone's gonna look at me different for what I did." He said quietly, looking away.

"Newt, look at me."

She stepped in front of him, she was shorter than him, so she looked up to him, but his eyes looked into hers.

"The only people who fully know what happened have not treated you any different; me, Minho, Nick, Alby, Jeff and Sonny, that's it. Everyone else just knows it was an accident, they know nothing more than you were hurt. It's not our story to tell. So, if you want to share that information, that's up to you and no one else. And do I look at you different?"

A small smirk appeard, "weeeellll..."

"Don't answer that." She rolled her eyes.

He chuckled, letting go of the one crutch, still using it to balance under his arm, placed a hand on her jaw line, his thumb brushed her cheek bone.

"Evelyn...you have healed my body and heart and soul. Thank you, my Angel."

She placed a hand over his, and placed a hand on his chest and pushed up on her toes, giving him a quick kiss.

"I love you."

"Love you too.'

She lowered back down and they continued on.

"If I wasn't so buggen'  hungry, I'd say let's skip and I'd take ya back to the blood MedHut!" He gave her a rougush smirk.

"Newton!" She gasped, "you're shucken lucky I kinda like you!"

"I know. I'm very lucky."

They made it to the dinning area, Newt was breathing heavily, his body had exerted itself, he was looking a little pale and sweaty.

"Sit love. I'll bring food."

"Yes ma'am."

During lunch Gladers kept coming up to say hi and ask how recovery was going, how he doing, and lots of 'good to see ya shank'. At first Newt was a bit awkward and uncomfortable with the attention, but after Sonny pointed out that the guys were just genuinely happy to see him back he relaxed and was chatting happily with everyone. Evelyn leaned into Sonny.

"Thank you Sonny, for everything you've done for us."

"He's a brother. Him and Nick were the only ones kind to me...other than my little sister."

His dark eyes softened looking at her. With a smile she lay her head on his shoulder and watch Newt chat animatedly with a kid name Mikey. Newt caught her eye and without missing a beat in the conversation he winked at her. She felt heat flood her face.

The Greenie alarm went off and there was a mad dash to the box. Evelyn got up slowly and with the help of Sonny, got Newt to his feet.

"Lets get you back to the MedHut, Love."

"Can we bring the chair outside, I miss the bloody sunshine."

"Deal! I got some harvesting to do, you can keep me company, I don't want to be at the box anyway. The Greenie's usually just stare. It's awkward."

"What abou' the supply box?"

"That's what Jeffy is for." She grined.

They spent the afternoon in the sunshine. Newt was sitting in a chair with his leg proper up. Evelyn's journal opened, he copied down some more notes for her. Evelyn had tired her long hair up and had stripped her long sleeve shirt, leaving her in a tank top, and she was elbow deep in mud, she had sweat on her face and running down her neck, but she was happy.

She watched the New Green come up and huddle under the trees crying, Nick sat beside him talking quietly. Newt watched with a pained look of sympathy.

"Those poor buggen' shanks." He finally said quietly.

Evelyn hummed in agreement.

"You would make a good welcome committee."

"Me?"

She nodded, straightening up.

"Yeah. You're kind and respectful and considerate of others feelings. Guys crying doesn't bother you like it does Alby. Your level headed and for the most part, keep a level voice, and you understand how miserable and scared those boys are, and you don't have the terrifying leave me alone face like Min and Sonny."

"That's all very bloody kind of you Love." He grinned at her.

"But I might be biased." She smirked and threw a small clump of dirt at him. He just laughed at her.

Eventually Nick brought the Greenie around to introduce them.

"This here is Evelyn, The Keeper of the MedJacks. She's our healer, this here is Newt, on medical leave of the Runners. If you ever need anything medical or health wise her and Jeff are your go tos."

The kid looked at her with big blue eyes. He had close cut wavy brown hair, he was short and stocky. But when he gave her a shy grin, she saw a kindness behind his scared eyes.

"Hey Greenie!" Evelyn smiled up at him, she pushed up onto her feet, "I got some pretty muddy hands, so I'll shake your hand later. But welcome to The Glad."

"Thanks."

"Hey Greenie!" Newt chirped, holding out a hand, and smiling warmly at the kid, he hesitantly shook Newt's hand.

"Yeah...sure. What is this place? Where are we?"

"This is the Glad. Everything inside the walls, were we eat, sleep, work." Newt nodded and gestured around the place.

"For now...it's home. But won't always be." Nick said, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"No?" The Greenie asked.

"Nah. We got Gladers trying to find a way out."

"Oh...like explorers?"

"Yeah, like that." Evelyn agreed. Greenie looked over at her, and frowned, watching her.

"So you guys have explorers and healers? What else?" He asked, still watching her.l with curious eyes.

"Well.." as she explained the different jobs, Newt reached out and hooked a finger in the back pocket of her shorts and pulled her back, and then grabbing her hips, Newt pulled her down so she was sitting on his lap. She kept talking, but glanced at him with a raised eyebrow, and he just smirked. His arm wrapped around her waist and rested on her thigh.

"...and then there's Nick and Alby. The Glade leaders "

"That's....a lot." The green said, his eyes filling with anxiety.

"Slim it nice and cool, Greenie! You'll slowly get the hang of it. You'll have a day with each keeper, see which job fits ya the best. Were all in this together, we don't leave guys hanging." Nick reasured him.

The greenie nodded.

"Come on, into the next stop of the tour. See ya Evy. Newt." Nick waved.

"By Nicky. Greenie." Evelyn smiled.

"It was nice to meet you Newt and Evelyn." The green nodded and followed after Nick.

Evelyn finally turned to look at Newt.

"The shuck was that?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Didn't like how he kept starin' at my bloody girl." Newt growled, his eyes narrowed.

"I'm the only girl, Greenies are gonna be curious. They always are. You were too. I remember you pointed at me and said but you're a bloody girl."

Newt waved a hand dismissively, with a grin. "Not bloody important. What is...is you're mine now."

"I'm yours now." She cooed, tangling her muddy hands into his hair.

"I like the bloody sounda' tha'."

She hummed and kissed him.

_______________________

Before the fire, Jeff had helped Newt over to the shower. He unwrapped his leg and set a stool in the shower for him. Evelyn jumped into her own shower to get the mud and sweat off; the creators had sent up some more clothes and shampoo. Throwing on jean shorts and white t shit and her favorite sneakers she felt clean.

The fire was going, Frypan had pulled his BBQ out, Gally had his drinks out and the boys were finally allowed to let off some steam. They had set up a wrestling ring and some guys had some home made and real instruments. It was an evening to let loose.

Evelyn had set Newt up closer to the fire, but still able to see almost everything and she grabbed some snacks and drinks. She plunked down on the grass beside him to eat and people watch. She snuggled closer, throwing her legs over his lap, sipping Gally's disgusting drink.

"Ya know...if he adds some honey and maybe some lavander or something in this it wouldn't be so nasty." She said scrunching her nose, the light brown liquid burning her throat.

"Ahh it ain't that bad!" Newt chuckled at her.

"It like drinking rubbing alcohol!"

"Okay ya, it's bloody disgusting."

The fire party was fun for the first little bit. Their friends came over to talk for a bit and laugh. Eventually Minho went off to wrestle with Sonny and Gally. Fry and Winston were busy with the BBQ; Nick was still with the Greenie; Jeff had taken a liking to the guy, who remembered his name, Clint; Alby was somewhere trying to keep order. And the rest of the Gladers slowly got more wild the longer the fire went on and the more alcohol they consumed.

Newt sat contently, watching the wild shenanigans around him. He had his arm wrapped around her possessively, and his other hand absently ran up and down her bare leg. She shivered.

"Cold Love?" He asked.

"No. Tickled, and I'm not a big fan of wild parties."

He hummed.

"I think...if you don't mind...I'm going to go to bed. I..." Her voice dropped, "I'm kinda uncomfortable."

"I'll come with ya."

She untangled herself, and got to her feet and reached down and helped Newt to his feet, bent down and grabbed his crutches for him and together they set off around the fire. She wrapped her arms around herself as some guys whooped loudly and whistled.

Newt glared at the drunk guys, "I see why ya don't like these bloody parties. I'm sorry I never paid more buggen' attention."

"It's been a year, I'm used to it. They never actually do anything. Just...loud and obnoxious."

"Still." He muttered.

They made it to the MedHut and her adjoining room.

"So? I guess it's g'night, Love."

"No, just come in already." She rolled her eyes with a small shy smile up at him. He raised his eyebrows. She tugged his shirt.

"I'm gonna end up in the MedHut with you anyways. Just start here and we might actually sleep all night."

"Well ain't this bloody cozy." He grinned looking around.

"Doesn't smell like sweaty Runner, either."

"Hey!"

"You stunk. You and Min...that room would have been disgusting!"

"We showered thank you!"

She chuckled, "True. Two of the few who do."

She grabbed some things from the MedHut and came back. She tossed him some of his clothes he had kept in the MedHut and left for him to change. When she came back ready for bed he had also taken off the wood splint and was laying down.

"Feels good to have that thing off."

She crawled into bed beside him. Rolling into her side she sighed in contentment. She felt Newt wrap an arm around her and pulled her closer. His tall body fit perfectly around her. He gently moved her hair away from her neck and his lips caressed the back of her neck.

Instantly she felt heat exploding from her stomach and spread over her body, her head swam in a fog, and a quiet Humm left her mouth.

"I like this kind of party better." He whispered into her neck, making her shiver. She pushed back into him, silently beg for more.

"Me too."

"You're my." He whispered into her ear.

"I'm always." She whispered back.
___________________________________________

**I guess I lied. One more fluffy-ish chapter, had to fill the gap. Next chapter I promise trauma and angst and tears and emotional damage.**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.7K 1K 37
(Newt x Reader) (TMR) Y/n is WICKED's first mistake. She tries her best to fit in, but being the only girl in an experiment full of boys is the best...
14.5K 411 31
"It's so hard to let go of someone when they've given you so much to hold onto." Every Glader knows the rules. Endure, survive, thrive, repeat. Repea...
566K 11K 40
A metal box brought them there, a place surrounded with endless, shifting corridors with no sign of getting out. It's always been boys but one day a...
3.6K 158 32
Y/n is the only girl in the glade, she struggles day to day with someone who torments her and is torn between Gally and newt- this book does contain...