The Healer

By MEllenH

Evelyn was sent up to The Maze with the original Gladers. She was the lone girl right from the start. But bei... More

Author's Notes
Prologue
Chapter 1: Birthday Wish
Chapter 3: Not a Witch
Chapter 4: First Gathering
Chapter 5: Nighttime Secrets
Chapter 6: The Glade
Chapter 7: A Hurting Heart
Chapter 8: Banishment
Chapter 9: The Syringe
Chapter 10: Grief
Chapter 11: Moonlit Forest
Chapter 12: Final Human Trial
Chapter 13: Don't Worry
Chapter 14: Rock Bottom
Chapter 15: Broken
Chapter 16: Listless Feelings
Chapter 17: Found & Awake
Chapter 18: Angel in Moonlight
Chapter 19: Anger
Chapter 20: Deal
Chapter 21: Quality Time
Chapter 22: Blushing
Chapter 23: I'm Yours
Author Note
chapter 24: The Box
Chapter 25: Bloody Wounds
Chapter 26: Glade Princess
Chapter 27: Awake
Chapter 28: Tease
Chapter 29: Taste Testing
Chapter 30: Tipsy Little Pixy
Chapter 31: Hangovers
Chapter 32: Follow the Flame
Chapter 33: Game On
Chapter 34: The Healer
Chapter 35: Fire
Chapter 36: Chuck
Chapter 37: Grief in the Forest
Chapter 38: Greenie Day
Chapter 39: Hurt Feelings
Chapter 40: Another Greenie
Chapter 41: Slammed Shut
Chapter 42: A Night
Chapter 43: Numbness
Chapter 44: Confessions
Chapter 45: Decisions
Chapter 46: Banishment
Chapter 47: Bloody Halls
Chapter 48: Take a Shower
Chapter 49: The Girl
Chapter 50: Voices in my Head
Chapter 51: Hammock in the Forest
Chapter 52: Section 4
Chapter 53: The Cliff
Chapter 54: Voices and Leaders
Chapter 55: Attacked
Chapter 56: Gally's Warning
Chapter 57: The Truth of it All
Chapter 58: Be Careful. Don't Die.
Chapter 59: The Hall
Chapter 60: Near Death
Chapter 61: The Final Variable
Chapter 62: Rescued

Chapter 2: Waking up

1K 32 78
By MEllenH

*Small Evelyn Aesthetic Board*

He eyes fluttered open. The sun was bright and she clamped them shut again. Her eyes burnt. It felt like she just fried her eyeballs. She clamped her eyes closed again.

She lay still, the sun was warm on her face. Now that it wasn't frying her eyeballs, it was quite comfortable, whatever she was laying on was soft. She could hear the wind rustling the trees, farm animals made noises in the distance and she heard moans and groans from other people.

"Wait- ?" She whispered, "what?"

She blinked her eyes open and twisted her head back and Roth trying to see what was going on and where she was. She pushed up onto her elbows. Blinking her sore eyes, trying to clear the fuzzy blurriness from her eyes. Looking around she saw a bunch of other people laying on the ground, all in various stages of waking up.

She frowned. Where am I? Why am I sleeping in a grassy field? And who are these people? Her eyes caught the dark eyes of a boy with dark rimmed glasses. He was sitting up, leaving back on his hands.

"What's going on?" He asked.

She blinked a few times, she had no answers. She shook her head. She pushed up further, looking around. She only then realized then how odd it was she had no idea how she got here. She had no recollection of getting here, or who these people were.

"Who are you?" The boy asked again.

She opened her mouth to answer, but fear struck her like lightning. She clamped her mouth shut. She had no nidea what her name was. Her eyes flicked to the boy a few feet from her, her eyes wide in fear.

"I...I don't know. I don't remember!" She whispered.

He frowned, his eyes narrowing and his dark eyebrows furrowing.

"Me either. I can't remember anything about myself. Or why I'm here. Or-"

"-where here is." She whispered, finishing his sentence.

They seemed to be the only two amawke at the moment, a few were moaning and groaning, but only the girl and the boy with glasses were sitting up. She slowly pushed herself up into shaking legs, standing up. She turned in a slow circle, her eyes taking in everything around her, her panic slowly increasing.

They were surrounded by huge thick giant walls. On all four sides, surrounded by walls. Inside the walls there was Barn, animals fenced in a pasture. A black dog on a chain sat with its head cocked watching. In another corner was a dense forest with thick trees. In the third corner was some kind of building structure and some smaller wood structure buildings and some kind of kitchen facility. The last corner didn't have much if anything. A few small buildings and that was it.

She spun in a circle, she felt her heart tudding against her chest, and her palms were sweety. A few of the boys were fully waking up now.

The girl was frightened, she didn't see any other girls. When the boy with the glasses had his back turned she spun around and made her way as quickly as she could, without stepping on anyone still laying on the ground, she made her way to the forest. Once she was in the shadows of the large tree she felt better. Calmer. She leaned against the tree and slid down wrapping her arms around her knees, resting her chin on them.

Who am I and where am I?

Those two questions kept bouncing around her head. She had no answers to them. She understood that something was going on, and that about 40 boys and herself couldn't all have woken up in a joint coma, or a dream. As she watched the boys wake up and look around she realized that no one seemed to know what was going on. The looks on all their faces, said the same thing. No one knew who they were or who each other was, as more boys woke up, everyone seemed to avoid each other.

Something rustled in the trees, she turned her head and caught sight of a metal little lizard bug.

"Hello Hephaestus." She muttered quietly with a small smile.

Her smile slid off her face. Who the heck was Hephaestus? She knew the name was from the Greek God of weapons and machines and blacksmiths...but why was she calling the metal lizard bug by that name?

Her frown deepened. A few of the boys were throwing names around, but they seemed unsure if the name they said was theirs or not. It was very strange to see.

One boy who caught her eye; he had black spiky hair, talk and huge with muscles, and Asian features, was inspecting the walls, every inch, slowly making his way down one side of it.

Her eyes found another boy, he was bald and had dark skin. His dark eyes looked hallow and broken. His jaw clamped shut, he wandered over to one of the trees and sat against it, like she did, but he looked like a shell of a person. He didn't look at anything, his eyes open, but not seeing.

The boy with glasses slowly approached him he hesitated and then shook his head and changed courses. He met her eye and frowned again. He slowly walked toward her, but never fully approached. He sat down a few feet away, cross legged, and leaned against the tree. His intelligent eyes flicking between everyone.

Another boy, with sandy blond hair, and tall and thin was wandering aimlessly, like most of the boys, but he seemed even more lost then most. He walked to the barn to the wall and then to the wood structure and then slowly approached the boys by the trees, like they were all complete strangers.

"Do you know where we are?" He asked.

The bald boy looked up sharply, "No, I don't know where we are!" He snapped, as if the blond boy had asked him a hundred times and he was sick if hearing it.

"Well, blood hell, neither do I!"

"Yeah, I think we all get that." The boy with glasses added to the conversation.

The three boys stared at each other for a long moment, neither dropping their gauze.

The blond finally said, "Well, at least I know my name, it's Newt. And you guys?"

"Alby...?" The black boy said, almost like he was guessing.

"Nick." The boy with glasses said firmly.

"Well ..shouldn't we start trying to figure things out?" The blond said.

"Yeah we should." Nick nodded, "but... tomorrow-"

"Let us nope for a day at least, jeeze!" Alby cut him off, he looked angry and mean.

"Right..." He said, his voice trailed away. His eyes slid around and came to rest in the girl sitting a few feet away.

"Hey...there's a buggen' girl here!" His surprise made him raise his voice which caused a few more heads to turn and look.

"Yeah, great observation skills, dud." The Asian boy called over his shoulder.

"Why's she the only buggen' girl?"

The girl shrugged. The blond's big brown eyes looked at her for a few more seconds.

"Do you know your name?"

She shook her head. Lowering her eyes back to the ground. Hiding behind her hair. She realized she didn't know what she looked like. She could see her hair was golden blond. And her hands were pale and small.

"We'll call ya Pixy." The Asian called again. He had glanced over his shoulder. His eyes looked on the verge of panic, but he had a cocky smile plastered on his face.

"Pixy?" She asked quietly.

"Well, ya do kinda look like a pixy..." Nick said, cocking his head, and readjusting his glasses.

"And what's your buggen' name then?" Newt asked, his hands on his hips.

"Minho."

He said without looking away from the wall. He continued on, walking around the perimeter of the wall. There was no break in the walls, they were trapped and very much stuck.

She pressed her lips into a thin line and furrowed her eyebrows. She pulled her knees tighter to her chest, and continued to watch the other boys.

Later that afternoon Minho tried to climb the wall. He gripped the vines that grew randomly along the walls. She had to admit it was tempting...but there was something in the back of her mind, like an itch in her brain, that something was going to happen, her right arm had a weird ache in it. She frowned and shook her head, watching Minho.

He gripped it, his knuckles white with the grip around the leafy ivy, finding perilous footholds as he inched his way up. Hand over hand, shifting his feet carefully, he climbed.

Ten feet. Fifteen feet. Twenty feet. Twenty five feet.

He stopped. He looked to the sky, then craned his neck to look back down at the ground. A crowd pf boys had gathered underneath him, cheering him on. Nick, Alby, Newt and the girl held back, watching from a distance. She felt very uneasy about this whole situation. It felt...familiar climbing a stone wall to see what was on the other side, but it had a bad outcome.

Minho looked up to the sky again. Back to the ground. The sky. The Wall. His hands. And then without any explanation, despite the abundance of ivy, he started to lower himself to the ground. He jumped the last few feet, and brushed his hands off on his pants.

"Can't be done here," He shrugged, "Lets try another spot."

Many hours later, all four walls tested in many different spots later, he finally gave up in a huff. Storming away to a quiet spot. She saw him storm to one of the buildings and slam the door behind him. When he gave up, the rest of the boys gave up as well.

It was getting dark, and her stomach was starting to grumble. No one was doing anything. Everyone sat huddled alone and despondent. She sighed. Getting to her feet she started to poke around the forest floor for tree branches, and anything she could use as kindling. She started to set it up, when someone snapped a stick and held it out for her. She jumped, being in her own world, not noticing someone. It was the boy with thick black rimmed glasses, Nick.

"Good idea Pixy." He gave her a small smile.

"Its Evelyn." She corrected.

"Hey! You remembered your name!" He gave her a bigger genuine smile.

She paused. It was weird, it was like it was always there, but then why couldn't she remember it for the day. She also couldn't remember anything else about herself. Well, she knew one thing... She knew she had something that she needed to keep quiet, she couldn't tell anyone. She continued building the fire.

"Here, look what we found in the bloody kitchen area."

Newt came striding over, holding out some matches. His big brown eyes still looked very lost, and empty, but they looked at her with some warmth. Nick took the matches and lit up the fire. A few of the boys slowly came over, still sitting apart, but they came over towards the fire. Evelyn slowly scootched further away the more boys joined. She didn't like being around so many people. She leaned against a tree, her knees pulled up to her chest again.

The sun was lone gone, and the stars came out. There was something wrong with them though. They didn't twinkle. She frowned as she looked up at them. Her heart felt heavy. Nothing made sense today. She woke up surrounded by strange boys, in a place she couldn't remember, with out her name or any other facts of who she was, or where she came from. Just like that feeling on unease when Minho tried to climb the wall, she had a feeling, like an itch in her brain, that she was used to being alone and being lonely was a normal part of her life. She slowly and quietly stood up and wandered further into the woods.

The woods were quiet, the wind gently rustled the leaves. She saw a few little glowing insects flying around. The weird moon and stars trickled through the leaves, casting shadows. But it didn't frighten Evelyn; she preferred the moon and the dark. It was calming and peaceful. She heard some scuttling, and saw red little lights. The moonlight glinted off the silver body of the metal bug lizard.

"Hello Hephaestus." Evelyn whispered.

She crouched down and held her hand out. The lizard paused, tilting its head. She stayed still, waiting patiently. The lizard slowly crawled down the tree trunk and onto the forest floor. It scurried over and up onto her outstretched palm. She slowly brought her hand up, so they were now at eye lever. It's bright red eyes stared at her. The eyes were dead and lifeless, it was all machine, Evelyn couldn't feel any sort of natural life inside it, but she felt more comfortable with this thing then with the boys back at the fire.

"She we explore the forest? See what there is to see? Looks like were going to be here for a while." She slowly stood up, the metal creature on her hand, she reached her hand to her shoulder and the creature she named Hephaestus jumped onto her shoulder, settling down.

She got up and continued walking slowly and carefully. The forest floor was littered with roots and branches, bushes and small rocks. There was all kinds of different plants and flowers growing. Her and Hephaestus explored the forest for most of the night. She eventually made her way back to the fire, all the boys had fallen asleep, sprawled out on the grass. She sighed, knowing she would also need to sleep. But sleeping around all these strange boys made her uncomfortable. She turned back towards the forest and went to find a quiet spot.

Maybe tomorrow would be different. Maybe they would know why they were there, maybe they would find a way out, of whatever this was. Nick, Alby, Newt and Minho all said they would start figuring things out. One thing she knew, they wouldn't climb the walls as an escape. Minho had tried.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.9K 1.3K 47
"And this is the moment I realize, that all the sadness I saw the day he first smiled at me is gone. That this is the purest smile he ever gave me, t...
14.5K 411 31
"It's so hard to let go of someone when they've given you so much to hold onto." Every Glader knows the rules. Endure, survive, thrive, repeat. Repea...
40K 747 28
Teresa wasn't the first girl in the Glade. Just the first that survived. Ayla Meyer. Subject A13. "The Wild Card" 16-year-old Ayla arrived in the Maz...
39.2K 932 71
A Newt x Female OC Story I have no collection of anything before coming up from the box. No memories came to me about my past life. The only thing I...