Dhruva Nakshathra - The Game...

By DevaDDK

A man who has been falsely promised for a throne forms an alliance with someone who could be his shield to pr... More

|| 0 ||
PART I
ONE
TWO - a
TWO - b
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
PART II
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y-O N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
T W E N T Y - T H R E E
T W E N T Y - F O U R
T W E N T Y - F I V E
T W E N T Y - S I X
T W E N T Y - S E V E N
T W E N T Y - E I G H T
TWENTY - NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY - FIVE
THIRTHY-SIX
THIRTHY-SEVEN
THIRTHY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
PART III
FORTY
FORTY - ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY - THREE
FORTY - FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY - SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY - TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
FIFTY-EIGHT
FIFTY-NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY - ONE

FIFTY-FIVE

47 5 0
By DevaDDK

Mahina, capital city of Durja

The city bathed in the glorious evening sunlight; each building shone like that of gold. Vegetation fields glowed in luscious green, river glinted under the sun rays. The last time she arrived to the city, it was dark and cold. Durja was in its monsoon season back then which was only a couple of weeks ago.

She knew being anxious did not make her feel any better but it gave her a kind of strength to find an end to the long impending episode of revenge. An ending both she and Dhruva deserved. Nakshathra peeped through the small window from the ratha vimana. A large amount of people gathered outside the palace gate to welcome their prince and his consort. Along with the people, a heavy number of retainers were seen controlling the crowd.

"Do you think the people of Durja will accept me as their crown prince's wife?" She asked subconsciously fidgeting with the gold bangles her mother had given her.

Dhruva grab hold of her hand and gently pulled her away from the window. "They have to for they have no other option. You are my wife and I am bringing you back as my princess. My people need to accept the choice I make for myself." He patted the back of her hand. "They will soon realise the opportunities this union will give them," he said referring to the job and economy opportunities to come from Kavish.

The ratha vimana landed somewhere inside the palace compound and they were brought to the palace entrance in a golden carriage. Hails to the crown prince were lauded with rain of flowers showered on them as they made their way to the palace where the maestro of their story, Kumudhavalli stood with big forced smile on her bright red lips at the front entrance of the palace. Nakshathra maintained her composure with limited smile and gaze sharp enough to pierce through Kumudhavalli.

Alli was simply a disguise Kumudhavalli had given herself to smartly avoid the queen's name from being tarnished. While she orchestrated atrocity to Kavish under the cloak of Alli, she had created a new image for the queen as a forlorn daughter who had abandoned the idea of revenge on her father's death. Kumudhavalli had been highly praised for being considerate and humane to not harm the people and chose peace without a war. People of the country had been living in a delusional image Kumudhavalli had fed them all the while.

Nakshathra's encounter with Kumudhavalli was short and crisp, neither one gave away their knowledge of what each other knew and made everything all the more interesting. The former was amazed at how well Kumudhavalli pretended to be the pious, soft and considerate queen in front of the king and the courtiers. As the new couple were ushered into the temple for a short prayer, the queen was seen enthusiastically preparing and overseeing the ceremony it ended.

"You are officially the Yuvarani of Durja," Kumudhavalli said soon after the ceremony completed. "I believe you would stay by Yuvaraja's side and play your part well towards the subjects of Durja."

"With earnest, Your Majesty," Nakshathra replied with a smile.

"I hope nothing less. You must be tired. I'll have the attendants to escort you to your chamber. Take rest and be ready for the evening celebration we have organized for both of you," Kumudhavalli said and cupped Dhruva's cheek, lovingly.

"We'll see you later, Your Majesty." Dhruva bowed to the queen and the king beside her and placed a hand behind Nakshathra's back.

"I have prepared Yuvarani's palace at the ladies' quarters. I hope you'll like my arrangement," she beamed and sent them off on the carriage.

The carriage rolled on a smooth platform through large and medium sized buildings, some of which were houses of the courtiers while others were ministers' and administrative offices. They made several turns to the left and to the right, it made her difficult to read the roads. Nakshathra shook her head, how was she suppose to navigate herself in such a big palace, she thought as she curiously watched.

As they rode close to a huge archway, Nakshathra gasped. A green archway crept in vines and laced with white flowers. She breathed a scent for greensward followed by a mild rose scent. Past the archway, a row of rose ran along the way until the path split into two. The carriage stopped.

"Which way, Yuvaraja?" The charioteer asked.

"Take the bridge," replied Dhruva.

Nakshathra observed the surroundings, she noted there were more women than men outside and assumed it to be the Ladies' Quarters. She then learnt it was they way of living in the palace. It seemed it was a way of living in the palace of Durja, women were deliberately made to stay away from their husbands in separate chambers and only get together if their male counterpart wish to have them for the night.

"What absurdity?" Nakshathra whispered under her breath.

Dhruva simply laughed at her comment. "Looks like someone doesn't want to stay away from me," he teased and poked a finger on her cheek which earned him a glare. The carriage echoed with his laughter.

Nakshathra immediately turned away to hide her warming cheeks and growing smile. That's not true. Back in Kavish they had no such things that separates a husband and wife on purpose but why does such practice exist here, she thought. Why do they have such a system?

She shook her head, why does she need to worry, it's not that Dhruva and her were clingy to each other. Or maybe they were and she hadn't realised yet. Her gaze fell on their entwined hands and she stole a glance at Dhruva who wriggled his eyebrows at her before pulling her closer to him.

Oh, clingy they were. She would admit it. In a place so dangerous that it could cost her, her life, Nakshathra still chose to be with him because she knew he would do anything to keep her and their people safe.

The carriage rode over the bridge Dhruva had mentioned to the rider earlier crossing a small manmade lake. After a reasonable amount of distance from the main palace, they reached the quarters. Stunned at its distance from the main building, Nakshathra realised women in the palace had close no involvement in the country's affair, at least the distance told her so much. On the other hand, she stood dumbfound before a micro sized palace assigned for her. It was said to be the second largest ladies' quarters on a hilly ground at the western part of the palace. A little further to hers were smaller sized quarters for other ladies in the palace and down south-west, Nakshathra spotted a larger and grander palace, she guessed it must for the queen.

The palace was called Utpala Sabha, Dhruva mentioned as they entered the three-storey palace. Vases upon vases of marigold and chrysanthemums filled the reception room along with its strong scents. A completely furnished interior, the palace had everything a house needed, in a larger scale. Utpala Sabha had its own kitchen, reception room, a Gathering Chamber on its first floor, bedchambers for the attendants on the second floor. On the highest level, a larger bedchamber for the Yuvarani, a bath chamber made of stone, a chamber for her dresses and jewellery and a study chamber.

Dhruva and she went around the palace as she was amazed, too blown away to speak. Nakshathra was already working on how she would set up her study room, with the shelves in the chamber, she would fill it with all the scripts she had brought along with her medicinal materials. She took in all of it and prepared herself mentally of her new house.

After got all of her luggage stored in a corner of her new chamber, Nakshathra had sent Arunya, her four guards and Ramani to retire for the day and only join for the celebration earlier if they have rested enough. Ramani, she had brought her along only to make sure she doesn't cause any trouble back at home. Nakshathra hasn't got time yet to interrogate her hence, keeping her close by was the best option for her.

They stood at the balcony that connects from her chamber and gazed at the setting sun behind mountains. The view of the palace complex was magnificent and the name Utpala made sense to her as she realised the palace was surrounded in water with full of waterlilies.

"This is beautiful," she said.

"It is but sadly, I made no special arrangements here for you."

"That's alright. You just make sure to come and see me here," she joked and gazed ahead the vast palace complex. "Where exactly is your quarters from here?"

"Hmm, ... It's not visible from here. Mine is exactly on the other side of the main palace." He pointed at the direction of his palace.

First keeping them away was absurd then having them live further from each other was even brutal. Nakshathra felt her only source of companion in Durja was purposely taken away from her before she could get accustom to the new place. Then she realised she still had Arunya with her, her personal guards from Kavish too were with her but for a reason unknown, Nakshathra wanted Dhruva with her. For some matters she could only speak to him. She sulked and sat on the cushioned chair.

Dhruva laughed softly at her childlike act and sat next to her. "I don't have any solution for that, I am sorry."

As she leaned in on him, "Can't you just stay here?" she asked.

"Of course, I can. Who is there to stop me?" he replied and wrapped an arm around her.

She stayed in his arms and lulled into sleep on his shallow rise and drop of his chest. The very moment she found herself to be in a peaceful state but in every calm thought sometimes darkness would peep. Nakshathra glance up at his serene face and the more and longer she stared at him, her chest tighten as her heartbeat pounded against it. Her hand reached for his face, her thumb softly caressing his cheek. 'I hope the truth of the queen will not break your heart,' she said in a voice only she could hear.

Later that evening, the newly wedded couple was welcomed in a grand manner with celebration planned for them. The main palace's Gathering Chamber was no less magnificent for it had also been massively decorated with lots of marigolds and chrysanthemums throughout the interior. Meanwhile outside the palace, various traditional music was played while artists performed in large group of people. As the performances kept the royal members and the people entertained, The Royal House of Durja had also organised feast for the city dwellers as a part of the celebration.

*-*-*-*-*

Just as she wanted, Dhruva decided to stay with her in Utpala until she was good on her own. Although he had wanted to completely move in with her, Nakshathra had denied and advise him against it, "that only give the others a topic to talk about," she said. Nakshathra had also told he could stay with her for a maximum of two months and then he had to be back to his quarters to which he had sulked.

Her third day in Utpala begin with a bright note and as Dhruva left to attend the matters of the court, Nakshathra received guests at the door.

The queen of Durja, Kumudhavalli also known to a few as Alli, the unrelenting enemy of Kavish in disguise as the forlorn queen, made her entrance into Utpala with several ladies in tow. Wives of ministers and nobles, dressed in their finest silk, decked up with their precious jewelleries accompanied the queen with their most trusted ladies-in-waiting.

Ah, a group of high ranked ladies. "Your Majesty." She gave her obeisance and welcomed the queen and her entourage to her new home. "It's a pleasure to have you here. Please have a seat."

"Oh, this is my first visit to Utpala," said one of the ladies, seemed to be the youngest of the group, pregnant with child. Her ebony hair pulled back into a bun with thick jasmine flower around it. Tiny bells tinkled as she swirled to scanned the living room. "I am so glad to meet you, Yuvarani." Her voice musical and sweet. "I am Lalita Sundari, wife of Bhupathi Kankeyan." She bowed and joined the rest of the ladies who have taken their seats.

Nakshathra and Kumudhavalli locked gazed for a short few seconds before the latter gestured her to sit with them.

As she took a seat, the queen spoke. "I hope you had a good night's sleep. It's a new place with new people around, it must have been hard."

"Hard indeed but I managed well, thank you." Truthfully, she slept like a baby longer than she normally do. The last she remembered, she was with Dhruva in the balcony and the rest, perhaps a good dream.

"What a relief?" Kumudhavalli gave a creaseless smile. "Let me introduce you to Sembaruthi, wife of the Maha Mantri."

The short lady next to the queen gave a small curtsy. Her silver hair frizzled at her temples under the silk shawl. Lines of age deepened around her lips as she spoke. "A pleasure to have you in the house of Durja palace, Yuvarani."

"I am Madhurika, the Pradhan Mantri's wife." The tall and slender lady by Sembaruthi's side introduced herself. Her grey eyes, stared at Nakshathra as sharp as razor.

The remaining seven ladies followed the same format but Nakshathra had deciphered through her quick analytic mind, the wives of Maha Mantri and Pradhan Mantri's words hold more value than the rest of them only after the queen's. They were like the queen's right and left hands, perhaps only in the matters of the ladies' palace.

While the ladies were on it, from her peripheral view Nakshathra noticed Alli bobbed her head to someone behind her. Her spy? Good, that meant the spy know her real identity.

"I heard you are an outgoing princess, is that true?" Sembaruthi asked after a brief moment of silence as refreshments were being served from Nakshathra's kitchen.

"You heard it right. I..."

"Well then that's bad." Nakshathra was swiftly interrupted without allowing her to speak further.

Kumudhavalli's lips stretched a little, amused with Sembaruthi.

"We actually came here to speak regrading this." Sembaruthi moved her hands animatedly. "I regret to tell you that you will need to be bounded within the palace complex for the next sixty days."

The piece of information took her off guard, she swept a glance at her guests who nodded. "It's a tradition here, the daughter-in-law of the royal family and the consort of the crown prince should perform a continuous ritual while observing fast for half day for sixty days," Madhurika chimed in.

Flabbergasted, Nakshathra attempt to not show it on her face but she wasn't sure if she managed to achieve it as Kumudhavalli raised her eyebrows at her.

"You can't do it?" Kumudhavalli asked.

"What is the significance of this fast, may I know?"

"For the nation's peace and to solemnly declare your loyalty to Durja," Madhurika answered, a corner of her mouth curved up.

They had only spoken a few words and these ladies were already getting on her nerves. Is it because they have come together with my enemy in disguise? Nakshathra sort patience and self-control from within, the longer she had these guests the harder she worked on to keep her tongue in check. It didn't seem wise to run her mouth at every given moment on her third day in Durja. These ladies are surely waiting to get on her as well. A fast for sixty days, she thought. She had heard of one fasting for one mandal, forty-eight days but this, was new. Nonetheless, she mustered a response with a smile.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"The night insects are out, Your Highness. Do you not want to go inside?" Arunya asked as she lit a lantern post outside Utpala and wafted her hands, shooing away the mosquitoes.

Nakshathra had missed to witness the night look of the palace the last two nights and she had wanted to watch from afar, how Utpala Sabha appeared with the lights lit. Pretty. Was the only word she had while having an image of her lovely home in Kavish in mind. "Oh, I miss home," she mumbled.

"Let's go in," Nakshathra called.

Sound from ahead. Armoured footfall approaching Utpala. She waited at the entrance till the faces came into light. A smile broke out on her serious face. "Just on time," Nakshathra chirped at Dhruva and his Yujyagana.

"Time for?"

"Dinner, of course," Nakshathra said. "All of you are invited as well," she added when the boys looked at each other.

"You cooked?" Dhruva asked in surprise.

"Oh, I don't dare to venture into things that will put all our lives in danger," she simpered and paced ahead of them as they chuckled.

In the dining hall, they sat on the ground in two rows facing each other, the banana leaves before them had spread of variety of foods. Sweet and sour lentil gravy. Toasted corn patties with butter. Spicy stir-fried potatoes. Apple mango roasted and soaked with honey. Sweet potato pickle. Most of the Yujyagana made lip-smacking noises and pouring praises to the cook as they dig into their dinner.

"I heard the queen came to visit," Dhruva whispered at her side.

"Yes, she did with a few other ladies. I am expected to observe a sixty day fast."

Nakshathra either said it loud or the rest were super attentive, all twenty-four pairs of eyes turned to them. "Why?" she asked.

"Did you just said sixty days fasting?" Viswanathan asked, gulping down his food.

"Yes, no food, no water while the sun is up. I was also told to pluck flowers on my own, offer it to the temple and take part in the morning puja. I am free to do anything after that but ... within the palace complex." Nakshathra glanced at Dhruva who remained quiet, his eyes unfocused as if he was in a deep thought.

After the dinner, one of the Yujyagana offered to help her find out on any information from other brides that came in from outside Durja regarding the rituals before they left for the night. Back in the reception chamber, Nakshathra found Dhruva staring blankly at a wall.

She thought for a second and headed to the man himself to know what was going on in his head.

"I don't remember such ritual ever took place in the palace before," he answered, hands crossed across his chest.

She sat next to him and said nothing.

"If my guess is right, the maharani might still be holding a little grudge on you."

"Not a little," she said calmly. "She has been holding grudges ever since."

"Ever since?" Dhruva said, eyebrows raised.

Ever since the fateful event took place in Mount Gaja, yes. She nodded to answer him, inside she tried to figure a way to start the conversation. Dhruva has all the right to know about Kumudhavalli but the time she had taken made her guilty. What if he gets mad at her for not telling him sooner? Then again, she has no prove to back her claim, she can't use Ranganathan alone. Her mind took her away from the present into imagining his reaction but soon she returned to the present by the touch of his warm hand on her shoulder.

"You looked lost."

"I am alright." She gave the smallest of a nod.

"So, when does the fasting begin?"

"Coming new moon day, five days from today," she said. "I hope we can get to the remaining Kavishians by then. Alli hasn't come back with any message and I am starting to think if there are any left with her." She slumped against the chair.

"It makes me think the same. Did you try to ask her spy? The one you are not ready to reveal to me yet."

"I did early today. Hopefully we get a lead."

Dhruva nodded and turned himself to face her. He fixed his intense gaze on her with his hand on his cheek. He appeared relaxed but she knew he had questions for her. Had he caught on her for hiding the most important detail from him?

If so, she should brace herself for whatever that was to come yet his eyes sent warmness down to her bones despite the chilly evening.

"Did you realise, we have not spoken about anything other than Alli. It's as if she is the centre of our world." Dhruva confessed.

The confrontation of keeping Alli's identity would have been less painful but the truth he had said pricked and twisted her inside. As she recalled their past conversations, it has mostly revolved around Alli and the missing Kavishians. What have they talked about apart from these two? Nothing. And did they find each other comforting because they have a common enemy?

She buried her face in her hands. Embarrassed for being self-centred while ashamed of using him for her own benefit. "I am sorry," her voice muffled through her hands.

"I said it not for you to apologise." Dhruva pushed her face up. "I wantonly said it so we could change the topic to something else. Do you want to go out? We can use the change of environment to move out of this awkwardness." He suggested.

"You still make me feel guilty but I'll take the invitation." Nakshathra took his awaiting hand and they both headed out for a stroll.

Dhruva led her to the lake, dark under the night sky, tiny lights from around reflected on the black water. Mirroring the lake, the sky blinked with tiny stars. The lake had no much people around, no one had time to sit by the water these days but there the new couple were, strolling. Dhruva held a small lantern he had picked up from outside Utpala and it was the only source of light in the bridge.

"Does this bridge always without a light?" She asked, hooking her arms in his. The bridge was wide but in the dark with lack of light, Nakshathra did not trust herself to walk straight.

"It's been years since anyone properly used this bridge." He raised the lantern for better view.

"We did, yesterday."

She heard his light chuckle and it warmed her cheeks. "It's the first in many years."

They stopped walking.

Though Nakshathra couldn't see, she guessed they were at the centre of the arch bridge. A cool breeze brushed her face gently as they stood leaning against the parapet.

"I used to come here often," he started, face turned away from her. "After mother passed, I frequently visit her palace then as I grew older, I stopped. She loved to use this path to go out and back to her palace."

She heard a hint of sadness in his voice and it made her reach out to him. Attempting to elevate him, she tried to speak of happy memories instead of sad one. "Was she an admirer of nature?" She asked.

He might have nodded his head but the dim light from the lantern could play tricks. "My father got this lake built for her when she first came to the palace. It's her favourite part of the palace," he said. "Speaking of my mother, to my calculation amma and your Achi has similarities." Dhruva sounded excited.

Nakshathra looked at him in amazement. He has a talent of switching emotions in a snap. Where have the sad Dhruva gone?

"What's that?" Nakshathra asked with a smile lingering at the corner of her mouth.

"Amma loved to read stories while your Achi has some amazing stories written. My mother would have drowned herself in your library if she was here."

Reading and writing doesn't count into similarities, she thought. "Correction, me and my mother-in-law have more similarities than my Achi and her." She placed her hands on her hips. "We both love to dive into fiction..." She stopped as if in realisation. "But wait. How did you know about Achi's stories? I don't remember telling any of it to you."

"I read some of them. You had a whole library scattered in the bedchamber and study chamber."

"Yes, but when did you?"

"While you were asleep, I couldn't get a blink of it so to kill the time I read a few."

Nakshathra then remembered those books that were left on her desk and some misarranged on the shelves.

"Achi has some pretty interesting set of genres written. I'm quite intrigued with those wrapped in black cloth," his voice shifted to a silvery tone.

At the mention of it, Nakshathra shook her head rigorously. "Nope. You shouldn't touch that," she warned.

The books wrapped in black were wrapped for a reason. Those were her grandmother's intimate and wildest fantasies written and when she read it for the first time at nineteen, Nakshathra was flabbergasted. She saw a different version of her Achi in those books. Shortly after reading those books, Nakshathra quietly picked it from the main library and snuck it in her own wrapped in black cloth. The books were too detailed, it seemed like her Achi wrote it in her vulnerable state and it deemed protection from other judging eyes. Since then, they were hidden among her other books in her shelves.

"Why?" Dhruva asked. In a way he sounded playful like he already knew the content of those books.

"It's just... Don't touch that. By the way, I didn't bring it here. You can't read even if you insist."

"Hmm... I think I saw it in your unpacked luggage." He pushed himself away from the parapet. "But that's for some other day." His silvery voice sent shiver down her spine. In the dim light, her eyes followed Dhruva moving closer to her. "In one of my mother's favourite books, it had a scene she had highlighted. A pair of lovers standing on a bridge, drawn to each other, oblivious to the people around watching them. There were only them in their world. And I have always dreamt of doing this." His hands cupped her cheeks.

The mere contact sent her heartbeat to a race as a wave of pleasure hit her. The closer he inched, the closer she brought herself to him, her eyes closed. The touch of his warm lips sent a jolt of current into her bones. He kissed her slowly with sweetness of passion, her hands snaked from his chest to his broad shoulders as she reciprocated in the same manner. It wasn't their first but it was no less than what she had experienced on the following morning after their wedding. Like a million loving thoughts condensed in a moment. Their heartbeats raced and mingled into one.

Sound of footfall came from one end of the bridge. She gently pulled away, heaving out of breath. "We should go back inside." Nakshathra breathed as she wiped off the sweat drops rolling down her neck. "The patrolling guards are here."

"Right, we should." She saw him smile in the little light. "Give me a moment, let me speak to them first." He said while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

In the blessed starry night, she realised how impenetrable they both were when comes to exposing themselves to each other. Her responsibilities have tied her to her duties that she did not see him as her better half. It was in such small stolen moments, made her understand life beyond responsibility. In his effort, she knew she had fallen in love with him.

Nakshathra sighed and fetched the dim lantern from the ground. "How did our fate aligned to brings us together against all odds," she said as she observed his firm composed silhouette.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.1K 1K 62
The story is about two modern billionaire royal family's mystery and past. This story is about the bond between brothers and their love of life. One...
49.8K 2.8K 72
So this is a story of the old draft of Dear destiny. It has nothing to do with the current 'DEAR DESTINY' story. This was the previous version which...
4.8K 331 28
Ajabdeh Punwar does not believe in the idea of a partnership. Until Pratap Singh comes along. He is royalty, he is as quirky as her and there is a se...
75.7K 2.1K 19
Anirudh and bondita after 8 years. Bondita is back from london for her one and only sakha babu. But what will happen when she sees the hatred in Anir...