Raising Wonders

By HMPDharma

This is the tale of a young girl and a masked man. A young girl unware of the world. A masked man who has see... More

Chapter 1: It's my job. (Part 1)
Chapter 1: It's my job. (Part 2)
Chapter 2: Chloe.
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 1)
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 2)
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 3)
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 4)
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 5)
Chapter 4: Adventure (Part 1)
Chapter 4: Adventure (Part 2)
Chapter 4: Adventure (Part 3)
Chapter 4: Adventure (Part 4)
Chapter 5: Interference (Part 1)
Chapter 5: Interference (Part 2)
Chapter 5: Interference (Part 3)
Chapter 5: Interference (Part 4)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 1)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 2)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 3)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 4)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 5)
Chapter 7: How much do you know? (Part 1)
Chapter 7: How much do you know? (Part 2)
Chapter 8: Responsibility (Part 2)
Chapter 9: A chance. (Part 1)
Chapter 9: A chance. (Part 2)
Chapter 9: A chance. (Part 3)
Chapter 10: Her story. (Part 1)
Chapter 10: Her story. (Part 2)
Chapter 11: My way (Part 1)
Chapter 11: My way (Part 2)
Chapter 11: My way (Part 3)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 1)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 2)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 3)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 4)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 5)
Chapter 13: Predetermined Chaos. (Part 1)
Chapter 13: Predetermined Chaos. (Part 2)
Chapter 13: Predetermined Chaos. (Part 3)
Chapter 13: Predetermined Chaos. (Part 4)
Chapter 14: Pressure (Part 1)
Chapter 14: Pressure (Part 2)
Chapter 14: Pressure (Part 3)
Chapter 15: Dungeon (Part 1)
Chapter 15: Dungeon (Part 2)
Chapter 15: Dungeon (Part 3)
Chapter 16: Defeat (Part 1)
Chapter 16: Defeat (Part 2)
Chapter 16: Defeat (Part 3)
Chapter 17: The end for now. (Part 1)
Chapter 17: The end for now. (Part 2)
Chapter 17: The end for now. (Part Final)

Chapter 8: Responsibility (Part 1)

9 2 2
By HMPDharma

Chapter 8: Responsibility

In the early morning of the guild before the sun even rose, a wave of energy scattered across the training yard. Master Lanton breathed out, his sword pointed straight.

"Wrong again," Mask shook his head. "You're putting too much force into the first strike. Flare isn't about taking down your opponent in one motion, its leading them to an end to your favour. Regulate your energy, let your aura flow from one strike to the next."

"Agh I get it," Master Lanton rolled his eyes. Though it was his decision to train in the Flare style, he had forgotten just how frustrating training under another could be.

"Then do it right," Mask remained stern.

The Guild Master sighed, "Why do you treat me so differently to Chloe?" He looked to the young girl whose concentration was peaking as she glared at the block of wood in front of her.

"This is Chloe's first time learning and she's a child," Mask answered simply. "Unlike you who fell to alcoholism and neglected even basic practice."

"Well maybe this alcoholic appreciates positive encouragement as well."

"Just get to-."

"I did it!" the yell came suddenly from Chloe. "I did it. I did it!" She held her sword and jumped with joy. The thick wooden block now being cleaved in two. "Two weeks! I've been trying for so long and I finally did it!"

It had been two weeks since Chloe had been made her own sword. At first it had taken her many days to get used to the weight and then came her test to achieve the novice status. To cut through the Swordsman's Swallow. Finally she had succeeded. The wood split in two built upon hundreds of failures.

"Well done," Mask walked over and inspected the wood. "Not a perfect cut but the fact you managed to cut through is a testament to your skill. You are now a novice in Strike."

She grinned, "What do I need to for the intermediate test?"

"Whoa, slow down," Mask patted her head down. "Didn't you say you wanted to learn all three styles first?"

"Ah, yeah," Chloe calmed herself. "Sorry I got caught up in the moment."

"Then which do you want to try now?" he asked. "Now that you have the basics of Strike to build on, the others should come easier. Your body as well is much stronger than when we first met."

Chloe smiled wryly. While Mask was right, even compared to the children her age she was still small. Her arms were thin but at least now had built up a hidden layer of muscle.

"Hmm," she thought for a moment and looked to Master Lanton who gave her a positive thumbs up. "Let's try Flare."

Mask stared at the Guild Master, "Hear that Lanton? At the rate you're going Chloe might just surpass you."

Master Lanton simply laughed, "That could happen."

"Do you want to start now?" Mask asked.

"Yes!" Chloe gripped her sword energetically. She was basically fresh despite the training that she just accomplished.

"Then I'll demonstrate once for now. Lanton pay attention too," Mask drew his sword. "What I'm going to show you is one of the principle three strike combos of Flare. Unlike Strike, the combo changes depending on the situation but covers the same principles." He began to move his body, "The first slash is to distract your opponent, hold your sword close to your body ready to spring. When you attack, aim to startle or confuse. The second is to break your opponents guard. While they are reeling, spring forth, hard and fast. Push apart their defence. The third and final strike is to the end. Aim and be precise, target your opponents weakness and finish them." The deadly dance complete Mask took a deep breath and relaxed.

Chloe began to clap, "I see. So instead of putting my strength in one strike, I spread it to three."

"For the most part yes," Mask nodded. "When you practice Flare, complete your regular routine but with the three hit combo instead."

Master Lanton scratched his chin, "So the 2nd strike is paired with the 3rd."

"Yes and no. When you practice Flare be fluid. Choose when to pair the 1st or 2nd with the third depending on the situation."

The Guild Master sighed, "And this is why I became a Strike Master. It was much simpler when you just swung really hard. It looks even harder than Flow."

"Well it's the least popular for a reason," Mask nodded in agreement. "Now Chloe let's-."

Just as Mask was about to assist Chloe with her own swings, the door to the yard opened and Lana quickly made her way toward them.

"The City Lord just made an announcement," her eyes showed concern. "Important guests from the Church will arrive at noon and the city are to welcome them with open arms."

"Hmmm, just what is he planning," Master Lanton sheathed his sword. "Corvis, what will you do."

Mask smiled, "Well we might as well check it out."

**

Though noon the city of Toren was painted a dull grey. Thick clouds remained above letting down soft sprinklings of snow. The weather was quite good for midwinter and due to that the street outside the east gate was lined with curious onlookers. Mask and Chloe were two of them amongst the crowd. They stood close to the front, Chloe held up in Mask's arms to see.

"Is it okay for us to be out like this?" Chloe asked. She hadn't left the guild since the incident a few weeks back.

"The city lord wouldn't dare pull anything on us with the Church watching so closely," Mask replied confidently. If it were just himself he was confident that the city lord wouldn't try anything. The problem was Rector who Mask assumed was still snooping about.

"I've never seen a Paladin before," Chloe looked towards the gate excited like many of those around her.

"They're a prudish bunch. They follow the Church doctrine to a tee and are all the level of Master."

"Are there any stronger than Master?"

"Yes, but they're not called Paladins. They are the Arbiters of the Church and calling them prudish would be an understatement."

"They're coming!" Chloe squealed and tightened her grip where she held Mask.

Two lines of armoured figures riding on horses reached the city walls. Six in total they each wore refined silver armour, an engraving of an eye on their breastplate and upon the red cloaks they wore. The leading man however was gilded in gold, his armour a step above the others. The six men dismounted as they entered the city and walked alongside their horses. As they reached the crowds they took off their helms, appealing their good intentions.

"Wow," several of the women and even men around them let out gasps.

The man who led the company, the Paladin at their head, his face was beautiful to the point that it couldn't be real. Masculinity that had been paired with a gentle yet rugged flare. His simple smile spread among the people like a fire securing their hearts. Skin, tanned ever so slightly and bright green eyes that perfectly suited his chestnut hair. Mask hid his frown. Men who were that handsome usually weren't human, but the Paladin at least wasn't a fay or beastkin.

As they slowly approached the man waved to the people.

"I am Paladin Johannes of the Gentle Flame and those behind me are valiant knights of the Church. Thank you everyone for such a blessing of a greeting. Though you may simply be curious, for us to have such a welcoming brings a smile to our faces." His words seemed entirely genuine as he spoke with a slight embarrassment.

Mask flicked through his memory. The Gentle Flame he had heard about in passing. A Paladin who travelled the world spreading good will and assisting those in need under the Churches name. He earned his moniker from the phoenix feather he wore as a necklace. It was no wonder he could reach the city as the feather would provide warmth for anyone around him. The feather itself was the best representation of his self. Only those of kind heart would be gifted a feather from a phoenix. They were precious treasures indeed.

In his arms however, Chloe flinched. Her eyes grew wide staring at the Paladin of Gentle Flame. While those all around her were swooned by his appearance and soothing voice, only Chloe shook. Her reaction didn't go unnoticed as the Paladin himself spotted Chloe through the crowd. He approached smiling. Chloe turned away, tucking her head into Mask's chest.

"Hello there, it seems I've frightened you," Johannes spoke and the crowd parted, forcing Mask and Chloe to the front.

Mask gently pulled Chloe closer, "It's not you good sir, but your horse." He gently caressed Chloe's head in care. "My niece had an accident and has since been frightened by the beasts."

"Ah I see," the Paladin smiled empathetically and brushed the horse beside him. "This mare has been with me for quite some time now. She's a gentle soul. Would your niece like to pet her? I promise nothing will harm her."

Chloe remained faced into Mask's chest. The shivers coursing down her body translating to Mask's own.

"Perhaps another time," Mask answered.

"Of course," Johannes again showed a brilliant expression. "I will be staying in the city for the foreseeable future. Hopefully our paths will cross again."

Mask nodded, "Yes, I hope so. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll see to my niece." With perfectly calm steps, he left the city street and headed into the alleyways.

It wasn't till the pair were back in the safety of their room in the adventurer's guild did Chloe finally let go of Mask. He lowered her to the ground and as their eyes met, he asked,

"What did you see?"

Chloe again shivered, "They were terrible.... His Titles, so many of them were frightening, it was like his smile would eat me."

"Chloe, if you can remember, I need you to tell me. This is important."

"I know," she breathed out. "Johannes Mel. Age 38. Human. His Titles, the ones I can remember, Rapist, Murderer, One who Deceives, Torturer, Acting Master, Strike Master, A Black Heart, One who Revels in Pain, Cruelty Defined, Flow Expert, Master of Perversion, One who Hides.... There were others but I couldn't keep looking.

Mask frowned, "Thank you Chloe." Out of those Titles the one he was most concerned with was Cruelty Defined. He only knew of one person who had that Title and it belonged to the Savage God. Though she wasn't in the top 10 World Powers, the Savage God was one of the world's most feared outlaws and had burned down hundreds alive for crazed entertainment. Chloe who had read the Directory of Titles and the book on Legends knew just what that Title meant. It was no wonder she couldn't look Johannes in the eye.

"What do we do?" Chloe asked. "He's... he's stronger than you."

To that Mask scoffed, "If all it took was to be a Master to beat me than I would have died long ago. Remember this Chloe, the definition of strength depends on where and how you use it." In reality his bravado was thin but for the small child in front of him to sleep comfortably, he'd show all the confidence needed.

"Then you have a plan?" she asked, calmer than before.

"There's always a plan, but with your help we can make some amendments." Mask took out his communication device and let it shine. It wasn't long before a voice responded.

The Handler sighed, "Arten you know I think this is the most you've ever contacted me for a single job. If it's about the girl then-."

"No, this one is directly related," Mask quickly hushed her in case Chloe heard something she didn't need to. "Johannes of the Gentle Flame, what do you have on him?"

"Give me a second," the sound of shuffling papers and bumping cabinets could be heard. "Johannes of the Gentle Flame, became a Paladin three years ago now and was a well-respected knight beforehand. Bottom line, he's a good guy who helped a bunch of people. Kind of like you but he's more open about it. Why do you ask?"

"I have it on good authority that he's much more sinister than he seems," Mask frowned as he spoke. "Is there anything suspicious you can see?"

"Hmm if I look at it through those eyes then yes. A problem comes up, within a few days he solves it. He does seem to be in the right place at the right time a bit too much, but it's not too out of the ordinary. Some of them were quite... dark events."

"Johannes is in the city. I need a deep search on him."

"I'll get to it and call you later," the Handler sounded serious. "Arten take it easy. Regardless of whether he's a nut or the real deal, it's guaranteed he's a true Master and please don't piss off the Church again."

"We'll see," Mask hung up the call and patted Chloe's head who had stood nearby listening.

"Did you do something to the Church?" Chloe had to ask.

"You could say a part of the Church did something and then I did something back," he smiled. "They're a big organisation, not everyone meets eye to eye. That's the same for the adventurer's guild."

She nodded and took a deep breath, "Is there something I can help with?"

"Keep training and working, soon I may need your eyes and your advice."

"Got it!" Chloe pumped herself up.

We may just be heading into the end, Mask thought to himself forebodingly and sighed. This one job had certainly been something else.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38 0 8
When a young nameless girl wakes up in a peculiar world, she looses feeling and memory of herself. Why she got there, who she used to be, what some o...
733 123 36
An assassin has a chance meeting with a fairy and can't seem to keep his mind of her. He can't shake the feeling of wanting to help and care for her...
281 87 31
*I'm using Wattpad as a platform to do a complete make-over of my first novel, Firefanged. It is the first installment of the nine-book Demon in Exil...
44 9 7
Book one in the Chapters of Fate series. In an ancient world of uncertainty and mystery, where monsters roam the world and magic holds together the...