Raising Wonders

Da HMPDharma

This is the tale of a young girl and a masked man. A young girl unware of the world. A masked man who has see... Altro

Chapter 1: It's my job. (Part 1)
Chapter 1: It's my job. (Part 2)
Chapter 2: Chloe.
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 1)
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 2)
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 3)
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 4)
Chapter 3: Open City (Part 5)
Chapter 4: Adventure (Part 1)
Chapter 4: Adventure (Part 2)
Chapter 4: Adventure (Part 3)
Chapter 4: Adventure (Part 4)
Chapter 5: Interference (Part 1)
Chapter 5: Interference (Part 2)
Chapter 5: Interference (Part 3)
Chapter 5: Interference (Part 4)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 1)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 2)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 3)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 4)
Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 5)
Chapter 7: How much do you know? (Part 1)
Chapter 8: Responsibility (Part 1)
Chapter 8: Responsibility (Part 2)
Chapter 9: A chance. (Part 1)
Chapter 9: A chance. (Part 2)
Chapter 9: A chance. (Part 3)
Chapter 10: Her story. (Part 1)
Chapter 10: Her story. (Part 2)
Chapter 11: My way (Part 1)
Chapter 11: My way (Part 2)
Chapter 11: My way (Part 3)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 1)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 2)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 3)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 4)
Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 5)
Chapter 13: Predetermined Chaos. (Part 1)
Chapter 13: Predetermined Chaos. (Part 2)
Chapter 13: Predetermined Chaos. (Part 3)
Chapter 13: Predetermined Chaos. (Part 4)
Chapter 14: Pressure (Part 1)
Chapter 14: Pressure (Part 2)
Chapter 14: Pressure (Part 3)
Chapter 15: Dungeon (Part 1)
Chapter 15: Dungeon (Part 2)
Chapter 15: Dungeon (Part 3)
Chapter 16: Defeat (Part 1)
Chapter 16: Defeat (Part 2)
Chapter 16: Defeat (Part 3)
Chapter 17: The end for now. (Part 1)
Chapter 17: The end for now. (Part 2)
Chapter 17: The end for now. (Part Final)

Chapter 7: How much do you know? (Part 2)

9 2 3
Da HMPDharma

When Chloe opened her eyes it was already morning. She sprung out of her bed in a rush as she realised how much time had passed. Just how could she have slept so long? Not only did she miss her training but also failed to help out around the guild. Then the memories of what happened came back. The tears she had laid out in Mask's arms and the comfort he provided. Her cheeks began to redden in embarrassment.

"Good morning Chloe," the gentle words came from the table in their room. Mask sat in a chair, in front of him bread and steaming soup. "You must be hungry from missing so many meals."

Chloe's stomach grumbled and she tentatively sat opposite him where her own portion waited. She opened her mouth to speak but Mask beat her to it.

"Eat first then we can talk."

She nodded and took up her spoon quickly realising just how hungry she actually was. It didn't take long at all for all her food to vanish. Done, she looked up at Mask meekly.

"I-," again she was cut off.

"Don't you dare apologise," Mask smiled. "Everyone needs a break at times. It looks like you needed one more than most."

At first Chloe didn't know what to say but then from within her a puff of laughter broke her lips, "I guess I really did." She took a deep breath before speaking again, "So what happened yesterday?"

"I met up with some people who plan to fix the city. For now I'll stick to their plan and monitor how they go," Mask leaned back in his chair and folded his arms.

"Will the city lord still come after us?" Chloe's eyes focused on to him, more fierce than concerned.

"Ha," Mask let out sharply. "If he knows what's good for him he'll give up. By now he would have realised I took care of his two expert goons. He still has Rector and Articus but Articus won't leave his side and Rector, well he was a wild card to begin with."

"Rector....," Chloe thought about the man who had kidnapped her. Some people hid their Titles well, others showed it in their actions and Rector was exactly like that. The madness of his work and what he had done seeped into his voice and eyes. "I don't want to see him again."

"Hmm," Mask rubbed his chin beneath the mask. "That's unlikely."

"That I'll see him again?" Chloe asked hopefully.

"No the opposite. He may put two and two together and at the very least investigate who we really are. Unlike the city lord, he doesn't particularly care about the relation between the guild and city."

"So he's going to come after me?" she shivered.

A gentle hand plonked on top her head from across the table, "Don't worry. I've made sure to make plans. For now, stay in the guild and help out like usual. Okay?"

"Yes!" Chloe firmed herself. "I'm going to train." With that she bounded off the chair and moved behind the partition to get changed.

Mask smiled to himself and left the room.

**

"A package for you Mr Kane," Lana spotted Mask as he headed down the stairs. "It's directly from the Tilbury Merchant office. Did you order something?"

"You could say that," Mask took the box from Lana who stood behind the counter. He had to admit that the merchant acted quickly.

Lana stretched her arms and yawned, "Is Chloe alright?"

"Yes she woke up and is getting ready to train. She was just tired from yesterday."

The receptionist's fists clenched, "Master Lanton told me what happened. The city lord really went too far this time. Just because you said no...."

"I think he'll have learnt his lesson," Mask smiled.

It was still early and as such the guild was near empty aside from the two of them. Not long after Chloe rushed downstairs and went to train. Then the trickle of guests began to arrive and from there it began to get busy. Unlike other days Mask didn't take any jobs and kept to his room. Whether he helped or not at this point had little impact as the city had once again started to make full use of the guild. There were of course problems but the guild master finally started to act to his role properly.

By evening the activity in the guild had calmed down. Compared to the prior day it was almost as if nothing had happened. Chloe made her way up the stairs to see Mask and as she reached the door, tentatively knocked against it.

"Come in," Mask responded and the door swung open itself.

Chloe who had jumped at the sudden movement slowly entered. The table where they had eaten breakfast was covered in odd items that she had never seen or heard about before. A tub of blue liquid, a strange looking pen, a crystal that had been broken apart and several coin sized disks scattered the table.

"Uncle what are you doing?" Chloe asked curiously as she tiptoed to get a better view. "You only came down for lunch."

"This Chloe," Mask held up one of the disks and smiled in satisfaction, "this is for you."

"Eh?" she took the disk in her hands and was immediately surprised by its weight. "You made this for me? But why?" She couldn't remember anything she had done to deserve a gift, then again it was possibly not a gift.

Mask pointed to the door and waved his fingers causing it to shut. The air in the room suddenly became still and from past experience Chloe could tell they had been isolated.

"Chloe I know you have had trouble with magic in the past," Mask began softly and gently held the girl's hand which still carried the disk.

She nodded, her heart beating faster. She could feel her mind begin to reel with nausea and apprehension but with a deep breath she forced it down.

"To tell you the truth when I was your age I struggled with magic a lot."

"No way," Chloe couldn't help feel that he was lying.

"It's true," Mask looked at her sincerely. "I thought something was wrong with me, that I'd never be able to control it. But then my father helped me."

"Your father?" Chloe's eyes widened. It was the first time Mask had ever mentioned anything about himself unrelated to work.

"Yes, my father," the smile that he radiated behind his Mask became nostalgic. "He was kind and raised me with love. He taught me a lot and one of those was how to tap into magic. No matter how many books I read I couldn't get a grasp of mana, but this," Mask opened Chloe's hand to show the disk, "these tools he made helped me and I hope they'll help you."

"I-I don't know," a fear gripped Chloe's heart. If she failed at this as well, then there really was no hope. To her it might be better to never try at all. "I-."

"Be brave for me," Mask closed her hands around the disk. "I made these especially for you. They'll help you feel the magic that you really have. We'll do it together."

"I-," Chloe grit her teeth but seeing Mask's earnest gaze she again breathed. "Okay."

"Close your eyes."

"Okay."

"Now focus on your hand that's holding mine. Feel the texture of the disk, the texture of my gloves on your skin."

"Ahmm," she nodded. Then there was an almost indistinguishable prick. A fuzzy sensation against her palm. "I-I can feel something."

"Good. Now let the feeling spread. Let it flow through your arm and to your chest."

Chloe's heart began to beat faster and with each thud, the prickling traversed through her arm as if carried in her veins. As it reached her centre it began to flare and grow stronger.

"Now take hold of it yourself. Push it to your other hand."

Again Chloe breathed out but this time she felt resistance. Her body felt sluggish as if she was moving through mud despite her not moving at all. A pressure was pushing against her and it threatened to break everything.

"Don't forget to breath. Relax your muscles."

Chloe hadn't even realised just how tight she had become and slowly she focused on Mask's advice. Bit by bit the fuzzy prickling began to sluggishly push down her other arm. Minutes passed and a cold sweat built across her forehead but finally the tips of her other hand felt the same as the one that held Mask's.

"It's time. Remember the spell. The shift of mana. The first we all learn and read. A simple light. You can do this."

She remembered easily. She remembered the pain of reading the words again and again. Being instructed in dozens of ways to no avail. To be mocked due to her brother and sister's talent. Looked down at by her parents. The most basic of magic. A single step transition of mana. Something people did on accident. Mask's words clung to her heart, she could do this.

"Open your eyes Chloe."

There was no light from the sun, nor candle lit or crystal shining. Yet here in their room a gentle golden light shown. It was weak, barely there but there was no doubt it existed. The tips of Chloe's fingers were glowing, releasing the warm golden hue.

"I-I did it," she began to tear up at the sight.

"You did it," Mask nodded and let go of her hand.

Chloe held up the light on her fingertips and as the giddy excitement reached its peak she jumped on the spot cheering with all her might. Then the light vanished.

"It's gone," Chloe looked to Mask.

"But it'll be back. You just need to practice now." He gently patted her head and handed her a pouch, "These disks are how I learned as well. They'll help you trigger the energy inside of you and then once you're ready, you'll no longer need them. It's up to you to make use of them."

"I'll do it! I'll do my best!" she jumped up and without warning wrapped her arms around Mask in a tight hug. "Thank you. Thank you so much!"

Alarmed at first, Mask returned the hug, "No problem."

It was at that point Chloe realised what she was doing and quickly let go, "I- Sorry I got too excited."

"That's okay. I would be too."

Chloe took out a fresh disk and clasped it tightly, "I'm going to try it again!"

"Let's have dinner first," Mask laughed. "That way you'll have plenty of energy." Like that the two of them headed downstairs. For Chloe she couldn't help feel that her meeting Mask was the best thing that had happened to her... ever.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

17 8 8
In this fantasy tale, a young girl, born into the human world embarks on a journey to discover her true identity, but not everyone is pleased with he...
2 0 19
What if there was another dimension coinciding with our own almost everything stays the same except there is a one major difference. Well in this st...
27.4K 1.4K 52
(This story will become free on JULY 15, 2024) They say nothing was left of Ravenna Aphelion... nothing but her ancestral amber ring and a scared lit...
281 87 31
*I'm using Wattpad as a platform to do a complete make-over of my first novel, Firefanged. It is the first installment of the nine-book Demon in Exil...