THE REDHEAD ☾ jj maybank

By FL0WERFIELDS

" hey there, delilah. what's it like in-" "the outerbanks." "you ruined the song... More

-ˏˋ THE REDHEAD ˊˎ-
SEASON ONE
1 | paradise on earth
2 | diver down
3 | the motel room
4 | dead body
5 | beach fight
6 | the bends
7 | big john's compass
8 | girl talk
9 | lana's house
10 | home invasion
11 | sad stories
12 | friendzone
13 | redfield's tomb
14 | dear bird
15 | hotel wifi
16 | scrapyard
17 | jumped at a golf course
18 | a bet is made
19 | the royal merchant
20 | movie night gone wrong
21 | the confession
22 | midsummers
23 | rixon's cove
24 | scary stories of the crain house
25 | the girls are fighting
26 | resolving issues
27 | well, well, well
28 | a set-up
29 | arguments
30 | failure of a mother
31 | safe in each others arms
32 | scholarship or john b?
33 | murder on the airstrip
34 | wanted posters
35 | preparation for escape
36 | the phantom
37 | pogue style
38 | was it a farewell forever?
SEASON TWO
1 | a memorial
2 | stick and poke
3 | unexpected text
4 | tickling the wire
5 | fumbling the plan
6 | sewers
7 | the letter
8 | roadtrip to charleston
9 | reunited
10 | welcome home
11 | a party for six
12 | the arrest
13 | innocent or guilty?
14 | visiting hours
15 | escape plan gone wrong
16 | released from jail
17 | drama within the group
18 | the fake key
19 | boat explosions
20 | soulmates
21 | diary entries
22 | annual bonfire
23 | threatened by army rangers
24 | island room
25 | the true treasure
26 | a careless father
27 | the special cross
28 | round two of pope's driving
29 | improvisation
30 | rafe or the gators?
31 | sneaking onto the ship
32 | a new addition to the group
33 | retrieving the cross
34 | two lovers floating at sea
35 | poguelandia
SEASON THREE
1 | crash landing
2 | the search for kie
3 | hawks nest part two
4 | luxury boat
5 | home sweet home
6 | like mother like daughter?
7 | tactical convincing
8 | heist
9 | the lies and a desecration
10 | snack time at a crime scene
11 | last one standing
12 | party crasher
14 | up in flames
15 | barracuda mike
16 | kitty hawk wilderness camp
17 | a ride to south america
18 | hiking
19 | two funerals
20 | full kook
authors note !

13 | goblin mode

824 24 8
By FL0WERFIELDS

SEASON THREE,
CHAPTER 13:

GOBLIN MODE

"Don't wave at cops! It's rule number one
of driving a U-Haul!"

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

AT THE CHÂTEAU, the three teenagers currently stand inside the kitchen, talking to one another. JJ is sitting on the counter while he snacks on some food that he found after raiding all the cupboards. Delilah leans against the counter as she stands close to JJ, also picking at the snacks that he has, but he doesn't push her away or say anything about it. John B, on the other hand, used this spare time to clear his head from the situation with Sarah and Topper and is now only thinking about how he can save his father.

"We need to think of a plan to get down to South America." John B reminds.

"Well, none of us have passports or money, so flying is definitely out of the question." Delilah states.

"Doesn't Limbrey have a boat? We could use that to get there." JJ suggests.

"No, she took that back." John B replies. "And the HMS isn't going to make it down the Port of Spain either, so boats are out of the question too."

"No money and no boats. I would consider ourselves lucky." Delilah comments, sarcastically.

"Actually, I might know a guy that could help us." JJ informs.

"You seem to know a lot of people. Be specific." John B tells him.

All of a sudden, the sound of a car pulling up outside the house is heard as the engine rumbles loudly and the tyres only cause twigs to snap beneath its weight. Delilah and John B then shift their heads to look out of the nearest window, curious to know who it is. But the mere sight of Sheriff Shoupe stepping out of the police car is enough to cause panic. Both of them are quick to suddenly drop down to the floor in order to keep away from the windows — John B snatches JJ off the countertop and onto the floor beside them.

"What?" JJ questions with a frown, confused.

"Shoupe is out front right now." John B whispers.

"John B!" Shoupe calls from outside the house. "Is anyone home? John B?"

Panicking, the boys crawl across the wooden floor as their eyes desperately dart around the kitchen. Then, as if the two are telepathically communicating, they quickly scramble towards the smallest table. Delilah just watches in disbelief as the pair bump into every single object in the kitchen, creating as much noise as they possibly can. Their limbs tangle together as they struggle to fit both of their bodies underneath, completely ignoring how uncomfortable it feels.

"Red, hide!" John B hisses.

"Where the fuck do you want me to go?" Delilah fires back. "Besides, he's after you, not me."

"John B, I know you're in there!" Shoupe shouts.

The sheriff then starts to pound his fists against the door in order to create more loud noise, making his presence known. In fear of Delilah being seen, John B reaches out and grabs ahold of her by the back of her shirt, forcefully pulling her under the table with them. However, the action causes Delilah to almost hit her head along the way, but she quickly ducks to avoid it and leans against JJ. Delilah then flashes a glare towards John B in return.

"You almost made me hit my head, idiot." Delilah hisses.

"Not like you have any braincells left to lose if you did." John B comments with a mutter.

"Take that back right now!" Delilah replies. "You literally share half a braincell with bird shit."

"You're not wrong." JJ quietly agrees.

"Shut up, JJ. You can't talk." John B fires back.

"John B!" Shoupe suddenly calls again. "You need to come outside and talk to me. It will only be a whole lot worse if you don't."

"If he sees you, it's game over." JJ whispers.

John B sighs. "I know."

"Fine, have it your way!" Shoupe finally says. "You know where you can find me."

Silence fills the air for a second. But it's then shortly broken by the sound of the car's engine being started as Shoupe then drives away. This allows the three to finally scramble out from beneath their hiding place, with the boys awkwardly pushing each other around in order to be the first out from under the table. Lila playfully rolls her eyes at their childish actions, but laughs at John B hitting his head in the process.

"I don't want to hear a word from you, Red." John B tells her while rubbing his head. "Don't you dare."

"Fine. I won't." Delilah replies, but a grin makes its way onto her face. "But that's karma for saying I had no braincells earlier."

"I hate you." John B mumbles.

"Keep telling yourself that, bud." Delilah comments before turning to her boyfriend. "JJ, you were saying that you might know someone that can help?"

"Yeah, I have a plan." JJ informs. "It's a little sketchy and you guys might not like it, but I think that it will work."

"Wait, what plan?" John B asks.

"No. If I tell you now when the plan is half-baked, you'll get all negative and back out." JJ tells him.

"I'd honestly settle for even just a quarter-baked plan at this point." John B reasons with a sigh.

JJ only responds with a strange noise, mocking John B as he then mimics someone talking with his hand. Delilah laughs at the blond's actions, finding it funny because the mocking noises are so high-pitched and unusual, sounding more like a dying animal instead. However, unable to find humour in the actions like Delilah has, John B only slaps JJ's hand away in an attempt to get him to stop — it doesn't work.

"I don't sound like that!" John B exclaims, trying to defend himself. "Don't you dare make those stupid noises at me, JJ. And quit laughing, Red."

"Can't do that. Sorry." Delilah replies with a grin.

"It does sound like you, bro!" JJ continues as a smirk tugs at the corner of his lip. "Admit it."

"No, it doesn't!" John B argues.

✦ · · · · ──────────── · · · · ✦

Since this is JJ's plan, which the pair know nothing about, he was therefore the one who had to drive the Twinkie. JJ drove them along the narrow roads and made turns that they wouldn't usually take, all while assuring John B that it's a 'good plan' and that they will make it to South America soon. But those words of reassurance did nothing for John B's worries once the Twinkie finally came to a stop outside Rockfish, which is a bar. With a frustrated sigh, JB steps out of the car, closely followed by Delilah and JJ.

"Oh, perfect!" John B sarcastically exclaims.

"You're the one that said you would settle for even a quarter-baked plan." Delilah reminds.

"I didn't mean that we would go to a place where you bash beer bottles on people's head." John B counters with a sigh. "Love that for us."

"There's a guy that is always here and moves a lot of weight. My dad worked for him." JJ informs.

"Wait." John B quickly says in realisation, his face falling. "Please don't say 'Barracuda Mike'."

JJ shrugs. "Okay, I won't."

"It's definitely Barracuda Mike." Delilah whispers.

The three then walk away from where the Twinkie is parked and make their way towards the bar. As they step into the building, their ears are instantly filled with the sound of loud music that's blasting from the speakers planted around the room. People are seen everywhere, whether they are sitting down at tables with friends or walking around as they go up to buy more drinks. No one pays attention to the teenagers walking in as if they're regulars, continuing on with their conversations instead.

"There has to be a better option than this." John B quietly insists.

"Oh, wait, there is. Except there's not." JJ fires back.

"I honestly don't care what the plan is, just as long as it works. We're short on time and still need to figure out how to get to South America." Delilah tells them.

"This better work, JJ." John B hisses.

"It will." JJ assures. "Have some faith in me."

Stepping onto the small porch located at the back of the building, Delilah catches sight of a group of men having a conversation. JJ then quietly offers to do the talking because he's certain that he can persuade Barracuda Mike; neither Delilah nor John B argue it, unsure if this will actually work out the way that they want it to. The pair merely exchanging glances as JJ walks forwards, capturing the groups attention.

"Yo, Mike!" JJ greets with a smile. "You remember me, right? It's on the tip of your tongue—"

"Luke's son." Barracuda Mike says.

"Oh, uh... That works too, I guess." JJ replies. "But I also go by JJ. And this is my girlfriend, Delilah, and my good friend, John B."

"Hey." John B awkwardly greets.

"Routledge." Barracuda Mike replies, turning to the redhead in between the two boys. "Julie's daughter."

At the mere sound of her mother's name leaving his mouth, Delilah's body tenses. She bites down on her tongue to stop herself from firing back a response, as it could ruin their entire plan. But JJ and John B are quick to sense Delilah's discomfort; one of the two is her boyfriend, while the other is her brother, so it's easy for them to notice these things. JJ steps closer to the girl, his hand subtly brushing against hers to remind her that him and John B still here.

"I've heard a lot of stories about you kids." Mike states.

"Such as John B being a stone-cold cop killer?" JJ questions.

"No! No, I'm not." John B quickly denies.

Another presence suddenly comes to the teenagers side, which causes them to look over and see who it is. Delilah spots a tall

Then, silently, a man walks over to where the group stands on the porch, leaning against a wooden beam as he stops next to the teenagers. Delilah turns to see that the man is tall in height and that he has a sleeve of tattoos along one of his muscular arms. His dark eyes are narrowed as he stares at them, which only makes them feel intimidated.

"Mike, I'm going to be honest with you. We are kind of in a patch of trouble, and we're trying to get down to South America." JJ informs.

"Sorry, slick, but I sold the travel agency." Barracuda Mike tells him.

"We're not looking for some free handout here. We understand it's a two way road, okay? We just need to parlee—" JJ continues.

"Parley." John B quickly corrects.

"Parley in private." JJ finishes. "If that's cool with you."

Mike glances between each of the three for a second, his gaze lingering on JJ for a bit longer as he debates whether he should agree to help. Then, Mike silently motions for JJ to follow after him, wanting to speak in a quieter area. But before doing anything, JJ looks over at Delilah and John B to see what either of them think, only to find the girl worriedly staring at him.

"JJ, I don't think that this is a good idea." Delilah whispers.

"It'll be fine." JJ assures, calmly. "I'll be back in a second, okay? Just wait here."

"You're not leaving us here." John B hisses with wide eyes. "JJ, I swear—"

"Stay here." JJ insists.

Without any further thought, JJ then turns to walk away, but almost finds himself crashing into the man standing beside them. The boy awkwardly clears his throat before straightening his posture to nod at the man, silently walking away to follow after Mike. This leaves Delilah and John B standing side by side, still feeling intimidated by the man that towers over both of them as he continues to stare at them. John B just pulls his lips into a thin line before he, too, nods his head at the stranger.

Fortunately for Delilah and John B, the conversation between JJ and Barracuda Mike doesn't take as long as they thought. The pair soon come strolling back to the porch, joining the rest of them again. JJ quickly returns to Delilah and John B's side, who both look at him, wanting to know what plan he has in mind and what deal he's struck with Mike. But JJ reveals nothing, instead looking seemingly pleased with how the conversation went.

"5:30 tonight." Mike reminds.

"Yeah. We'll be there." JJ assures.

"Well, it was nice to meet you fellas." John B tells them.

Not receiving a single word in response, John B just silently (and awkwardly) nods before he then turns to follow after Delilah and JJ. The trio quickly walk back through the crowded bar, ignoring the amount of drunk people that accidentally stumble into their path. Nevertheless, they make their way outside and over to where the Twinkie is parked, climb inside as they prepare to leave Rockfish as soon as possible.

"So what's the plan then?" Delilah asks.

"Just a little something." JJ replies.

"That's very helpful. Thanks for that, babe." Delilah comments, sarcasm laced within her voice.

"Every time you say 'a little something', it's never a little something." John B tells him.

"You're getting negative again, John B." JJ fires back. "It's literally the easiest job in the world."

"Then tell us what we have to do, dumbass." John B argues.

"We just need to unload it. You know what they do on planes when they take the bags off of the— Yeah, that's what we're doing,. Once we do that, we punch our tickets and get to South America where we can sip on piña coladas." JJ explains. "It's going to be a piece of cake."

"I could totally do with sipping on a piña colada right now." Delilah says.

"No sipping on piña coladas, okay? We're saving my dad." John B reminds before pausing. "Wait, what exactly are we unloading?"

"Drugs." JJ replies.

"You've got to be kidding me." John B mutters.

✦ ·     ·   ·     · ──────────── ·     ·   ·     ·  ✦

On the side of the road, located near an empty field, the teenagers are seen standing next to one another, with the Twinkie sitting stationary behind them all. Much to his reluctance, John B was the one to drive the Twinkie to this field, listening to the directions that JJ gave him along the way. Delilah was playing music throughout the journey, trying to temporarily take their minds off of everything that has happened. But now, they have returned to reality and have to save Big John from Singh and his men.

"Guys, I... I really don't know about this." John B stammers. "This isn't a good idea."

"Bro, you're worrying too much about this." JJ tells him. "It's just farmers who brought organic seeds from South America that we are going to unload."

"It's a drug-smuggling operation." John B bluntly corrects.

"Do you want to get your dad or not?" JJ counters.

"Yes, of course!" John B exclaims. "This has to work out. I doubted him, and I blamed him. And all this time, he was just trying to protect me. But now he's been abducted."

"You know who you're going to have to trust right now?" JJ rhetorically asks. "Papa J."

"What? Is Red 'Mama D' or something then?" John B questions with a frown, confused.

"Wha—" JJ begins.

Delilah's eyes widen. "Ew, what? I never want to hear that come out of anyones mouth ever again."

"Okay, okay! I'm sorry." John B quickly apologises.

"Look, John B, just trust me on this, okay?" JJ continues. "I've a hundred percent got this."

"Sixty percent would be fine too." John B reasons.

"Lets go. Otherwise we're going to be late and miss our ticket to South America." JJ informs.

Then, with no further disagreements, the three step onto the grass and make their way into the field. An old, rusting plane can be seen sitting patiently in the middle of the field. A truck has been parked next to the plane, with crowds of people standing around as all of them load heavy bags of drugs from the plane into the back of the truck. A frown falls over JJ's face at the sight of this, and he quickly walks over to the group as Delilah and John B follow behind him.

"Yo!" JJ greets. "We aren't late, are we?"

"No." Barracuda Mike replies. "But there was a slight change of plan. You three are going to drive the truck up to Elizabeth City to make the drop."

Delilah casts her gaze over to the blond boy standing beside her, finding that his eyes have already settled her. JJ can see the uncertainty in the redhead's eyes, knowing that she and John B didn't like the original plan, let alone being the ones to now transport the drugs. But JJ silently agrees with both of them this time because this wasn't what the deal he made was, and he knows the consequences if they are caught.

"The address is in the truck. And there will also be a dummy car for you to use to come back. The plane will still be waiting here." Barracuda Mike informs.

"Right. Okay, um..." JJ stammers, uncertain. "So you want us to drive the truck instead?"

"Correct." Mike confirms.

"JJ, this isn't what we talked about. This is way more dangerous." John B whispers.

"It doesn't matter what we talked about." Barracuda Mike tells him. "If you do this, you will still get your ride."

"It's just that—" JJ begins.

"You know how this works, right?" Barracuda Mike interrupts. "Highway Patrol is changing shifts as we speak. This is the window. Take it to the drop house on Prospect. Any luck, we will have you back before sundown."

The keys are then held out in front of JJ. For a split second, the blond spares a glance at the two standing next to him before pulling his gaze back towards the set of keys. His tongue pokes against the inside of his cheek, silently fighting a battle with his own mind as he debated whether or not they should go along with this new plan — he already knows what Delilah and John B think about it. Hesitantly, however, JJ then reaches out and takes the keys from Mike's grasp.

"Get in the truck." JJ quietly instructs.

"JJ, wait—" Delilah begins.

"I'd listen to him." Barracuda Mike warns, swiftly interrupting her. "He knows how this whole ordeal works."

"Don't talk to her." JJ sternly demands.

Irritated, Delilah shoots the man a hard glare before she then allows JJ to guide her over to the truck, his hand resting on her lower back in order to move her from where she stands. The three then climb into the large truck, with JJ sitting down behind the steering wheel, which leaves Delilah squashed in the middle of him and John B. Nevertheless, JJ quickly switches the engine on and drives out of the field, wanting to get on the road as soon as possible.

"Any idea what's in the back of this truck?" John B questions, already knowing the answer.

"Yes, John B, I know!" JJ exclaims, frustrated. "It's going to be fine. This will work out. Get the map."

"I am sick of your bullshit plans." John B comments. "This might actually top the time you told me to fake appendicitis in jail."

Delilah groans. "Don't even get me started on that stupid plan. I got mad at him, then we got into an argument over it."

"We're not doing this again, Ly." JJ whispers, almost pleading for her not to argue.

"Cop!" John B suddenly warns.

Delilah quickly looks out of the window to see that a car has been pulled over and that a police officer has gotten out of the car to talk to the driver. JJ's grip on the steering wheel only tightens as his palms become sweaty; just seeing the officer made him feel anxious because he's driving a vehicle with drugs loaded into the back of it. Delilah just silently curses Barracuda Mike, wondering if he just set them up for failure.

"Play it cool." John B whispers.

"I'm as cool as it gets. You're the one that's not cool." JJ argues.

"I'm super cool." John B corrects.

"Neither of you are cool." Delilah bluntly states.

Suddenly, with a small nod of his head, JJ raises one of his hands to wave out of the open window beside him. A crease forms between Delilah's brows as she watches JJ silently do this, adding no context as to why he's waving at literally nothing. John B, on the other hand, turns to JJ with widened eyes, staring at him in disbelief.

"What are you doing? Don't do that!" John B hisses.

"I'm just practicing my wave." JJ informs.

"Don't—" John B begins.

Too late. As they continue along the roads, the police officer finds their attention drifting over to the truck that's driving past. Just like he had done so seconds earlier, JJ waves at the officer with a small nod of his head. However, without thinking, John B is quick to throw himself over Delilah and force JJ's hand back down, wanting them to 'act cool'. But this action only causes the truck to nearly swerve off the road, tyres screeching against the concrete as JJ fights to regain control of the wheel again. Then, as the blond does this, Delilah shoves John B away and back into his seat.

"What the hell!" Delilah exclaims. "Why would you swerve the truck?"

"It's not my fault! John B grabbed me!" JJ shouts, defending himself.

"Don't wave at cops! It's rule number one of driving a U-Haul!" John B argues.

"For someone so anxious to do this, I didn't realise you had experience with drug-smuggling." Delilah comments, aggravated.

"Shut up." John B fires back.

Delilah glares at him. "Don't tell me— Actually, you know what? You were the one made that situation ten times as worse by pulling that shit."

"What the hell did I do?" John B exclaims.

"You grabbed his arm when he's the one driving this stupid truck!" Delilah states.

All of a sudden, before the two can continue arguing, police sirens wail loudly through the tense air as red and blue lights start to flash. JJ glances into the wing mirror to find that the officer has climbed back into the car and is now closely following behind the truck. Delilah curses under her breath, knowing that each of them is screwed if the police officer discovers the amount of drugs that are loaded into the back of the truck — JJ realises this too.

"Okay, time for goblin mode!" JJ exclaims.

"Goblin mode?" John B repeats in confusion, eyes widening. "What the hell does that even mean, JJ?"

"We need to lose him!" JJ states.

"JJ, just pull over!" John B argues.

"Unless you want to go to jail, we can't." Delilah tells him. "I wish I never agreed to this stupid plan with you idiots— Holy shit!"

Delilah interrupted her own sentence to shout due to the fact that JJ suddenly swerved the truck without any warning. He leads them off the road and through the overgrown greenery instead, travelling across the rough, uneven ground. Branches and leaves violently slap against the windows. But the truck then halts to a stop, which causes all of them to jolt in their seats.

"Go! Get out!" JJ urges.

Quickly, the three climb out of the truck where their feet then hit the floor with a faint thud. They take off running towards the line of tall trees in the distance, disappearing from eyesight so that the police officer can't track them down. None of them dare to glance over their shoulder, just focusing on trying to get as far away from the truck as possible.

"JJ, I'm actually going to kill you if we get through this." John B threatens.

"You probably won't have to because Barracuda Mike will first." JJ tells him.

Finally, they reach the quiet road where the Twinkie is parked, allowing them to slow to an eventual stop. The boys double over as they rest their hands on top of their knees, whilst Delilah, on the other hand, sits down on the patch of grass instead, her legs tired by how much they have been running. However, as they desperately heave for air, John B turns look at to JJ with annoyance written over his face.

"My dad is in South America with a knife probably held to his throat right now. And what the hell are we doing? Moving weight? In goblin mode?" John B exclaims.

"How many times will you complain about me trying to help save your dad?" JJ shouts.

"Help is the exact opposite of what you're doing right now!" John B snaps.

"You're absolutely right. But you know whose fault that is? You and your treasure-obsessed father." JJ fires back.

Angered, John B places his hands against the blond's shoulders and shoves him with force. Since he wasn't expecting it, JJ stumbles backwards, but he is quick to catch himself before he can suddenly hit the floor. A light laugh then slips past JJ's lips, which causes Delilah's gaze to snap over to them, knowing that he is getting riled up now. JJ's tongue pokes against the inside of his cheek as his narrowed gaze focuses on John B, who is still standing in front of him.

"Okay. That's where we're going then?" JJ questions.

"Yeah. I guess it is." John B confirms.

So, without hesitation, JJ strides forward and shoves the brunet, further initiating the fight. In retaliation, John B quickly tackles JJ, which causes both of them to crash down to the floor with a thud. The boys roll around on the grass, shouting at each other. Delilah rolls her eyes as she watches the two childishly flail around — neither of them dare throw punches, not actually wanting to physically hurt one another.

"I've been waiting for this!" JJ exclaims.

The faint sound of a car suddenly captures Delilah's attention. Her head automatically shifts towards the noise where then spots Sheriff Shoupe stepping out of the police car, which he's parked just metres away from the Twinkie. Delilah's heart drops at the sight of the man, knowing that he's either here for John B or he knows about them driving the truck filled filled drugs. The redhead quickly rises to her feet, peeling her gaze away from Shoupe and over to JJ and John B, who are still fighting on the grass.

"Guys!" Delilah hisses, trying to warn them. "Guys, cut that shit out!"

However, since neither of the teenage boys react to the girl, Shoupe leans through the open window of the police car and switches the sirens on, allowing them to wail for a moment.

Without any warning, police sirens wail for a second. The teenage boys immediately halt before they then push each other, eyes widening as they scramble to their feet.

Without any warning, police sirens wailed for a brief moment. Delilah's gaze snaps over to the car, finding Shoupe staring at the three after retracting his hand from the open window; he'd switched the sirens on once he caught notice of the teenage boys not paying any attention to what Delilah asks of them. However, Shoupe's technique worked because JJ and John B immediately stopped and pushed one another away, eyes widening. Shoupe then walks over as the pair scramble back to their feet.

"What's up, Shoupe?" John B awkwardly greets.

"You boys okay?" Shoupe asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, we're just, uh..." John B stammers as he tries to catch his breath. "We're good."

Delilah carefully watches as Sheriff Shoupe suddenly stops in his tracks, just metres in front of them. The man then leans down and reaches under the back of the Twinkie, peeling off a device that doesn't belong there. A frown falls over Delilah's face as she stares at the small device, which has now been pocketed by the sheriff.

"You placed a tracker on us." Delilah quietly states in realisation.

"I did." Shoupe confirms. "It makes it lot easier to keep an eye on you hoodlums."

"All units." Dispatch begins over the radio, catching their attention. "An evidence team is on route to the abandoned U-Haul. Over."

"Copy that." Shoupe replies into the radio.

"Sounds like duty calls." JJ comments. "We'll get out of your hair. We wouldn't want to hold you up."

"Hold on a minute. We just found a U-Haul full of drugs out near 158. You three wouldn't happen to be involved in that, would you?" Shoupe asks.

"You know what that is? Profiling. And I really don't appreciate it. Just because we're Pogues, you think we're drug dealers now? We're not that desperate, Shoupe." JJ tells him.

"Besides, why would I turn to something ruined mine and my mom's relationship?" Delilah adds.

"That's not what I meant." Shoupe says with a sigh. "I'm only asking because I've heard that you've been too busy beating people up and crashing parties."

"There's an explanation—" JJ begins.

"I hate to break it to you, John B, but I have got a warrant." Shoupe informs, interrupting the blond.

John B's eyes widen. "A warrant?"

"Toppers pressing charges." Shoupe states.

"For what? He started it!" John B exclaims.

"Hand up against the van." Shoupe instructs.

John B reluctantly raises both hands into the air. He then turns to stand with his stomach pressed against the Twinkie, listening to the sheriff in order to avoid getting into any more trouble. Shoupe carefully pats John B down to make sure he isn't carrying anything unusual on his person, which is just a procedure that he has to do as a police officer.

"I didn't even do anything this time." John B argues.

"Do you know what Topper did to John B?" JJ asks.

"No, but I know what your boy here did." Shoupe replies. "He beat him in front of the whole town. And kept beating him after he was down. Topper may be a douche, but you know better than that."

"But a few months ago it was okay for Topper to do that to John B when he was practically unconscious and nearly drowned?" Delilah snaps. "Makes perfect sense to me!"

Shoupe says nothing in response. Instead, he places handcuffs around John B's wrists, making sure that they're tight enough to keep him restrained but not enough to harm him. John B looks over his shoulder and back at his best friends as panic begins to flood throughout his body; he can't be sent to jail again, not when his father is at risk of being murdered in South America.

"Shoupe, I really can't be locked up right now." John B states, pleading.

"You should've thought of that beforehand." Shoupe counters.

Then, Sheriff Shoupe begins to carefully guide John B over to the police car where the boy is directed into the back seats. But as much as he would like to, John B can't even fight back and defend himself because it will cause him more trouble and also make him look worse in this situation. Meanwhile, Delilah and JJ can only helplessly watch, their eyes wide and filled with a mixture of emotions — shock, fear, anger. The pair know that there's only so much that they can do to help their best friend.

"Please, you can't do this right now." Delilah begs.

"I can and I will, Delilah." Shoupe replies. "Topper has a warrant and it's my job to do this. There were multiple witnesses at that party you guys crashed, so I know exactly what happened."

"He didn't do shit!" JJ exclaims.

"You two, stay safe and stay out of trouble." Shoupe tells them.

"Listen, JB." Delilah begins as her gaze shifts to the brunet. "We are going to fix this, okay? I promise."

"We'll figure out a way to get to South America and save your dad." JJ assures.

Then, before either of the two can say anything else to reassure John B, Shoupe starts the engine to the car and drives away. This only leaves Delilah and JJ standing side by side on a patch of grass beside the narrow road. They helplessly watch as the police car disappears into distance as their best friend is taken to a police station.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.3K 1.9K 20
[DISCONTINUED] who could ever leave me, darling? but who could ever stay? regulus black x fem oc social media x real life lowercase intended started...
3K 147 11
"We looked at each other a little bit too long to 'just be friends'." -𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐍𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆- _____________________ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐀𝐁�...
203K 3.6K 37
As long as I'm here No one can hurt you JJ MAYBANK X FEM! OC PRE-SEASON ONE - SEASON ONE highest rankings! - #2 in cameron - #6 in jonathandavis - #...
702K 14.7K 76
𝐁𝐑𝐔𝐓𝐀𝐋 ⟳ "𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘪 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘳𝘺 𝘮𝘺 𝘣𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘪 𝘨...