๐’๐€๐•๐ˆ๐Ž๐‘ ๐‚๐Ž๐Œ๐๐‹๐„๐— โ”...

By evermoreobrien

Don't save her, she don't wanna be saved. (Smallville: Seasons 1-5) (Gotham: Seasons 1-2) Achievements #493... More

Cast
ACT ONE โ” ENEMIES
001. welcome to smallville
002. metamorphosis
003. hot head
004. x-ray
005. cool
006. cassandra carver
007. craving
008. level 3
009. rogue
010. shimmer
011. hug
012. leech
013. kinetic
014. club zero
015. nicodemus
016. stray
017. reaper
018. brianna brady: the woman of tomorrow
019. crush
020. obscura
021. drops of jupiter
ACT TWO โ” FRIENDS
022. chaos after the storm
023. pheromones
024. the spaceship
025. red kryptonite
026. byron moore
027. the fountain of youth
028. lineage
029. ryan
030. double trouble
031. skinwalker
032. visage
033. compromise
034. framed
035. parasite
036. lucas luthor
037. fever
038. family tree
039. magic
040. precipice
041. out of the park
042. emily dinsmore
043. to helen and lex
044. exodus
ACT THREE โ” COMPLICATED
045. atlantis
046. phoenix
047. freak
048. slumber
049. perry white
050. drifter
051. magnetic
052. driving mister crazy
053. how to get away with murder: lionel luthor style
054. sense
055. brainwave
056. premonitions
057. pete vs. dante
058. obsession
059. time of death
060. crisis
061. legacy
062. truth gas
063. memoria
064. false prophet
065. forsaken
ACT FOUR โ” GAMES
066. lois lane
067. chloe's (somewhat qualified) rescue team
068. facade
069. tracey lambert
070. bruce wayne
071. transference
073. jinx
074. the balloonman
075. arkham
076. luthor sex scandal expands!
077. viper
078. scare
079. pariah
080. recruit
081. the mask
082. harvey dent
083. krypto
084. shenanigans in shanghai
085. lucy lane
086. the electrocutioner
087. undercover narco investigation
088. the real lex luthor
089. the fearsome dr. crane
090. the scarecrow
091. jerome valeska
092. ageless
093. everyone has a cobblepot
094. long day
095. under the knife
096. the anvil or the hammer
097. commencement
ACT FIVE โ” PUSH AND PULL
098. fortress of solitude
099. serum
100. a true calling
101. the maniax
102. the last laugh
103. arthur curry
104. strike force
105. kryptonian disease
106. lexmas
107. reckoning
108. the angel of vengeance
109. eduardo flamingo
110. malone
111. sacrilege
112. smallville serial killer commits suicide
113. hypnotic
114. mister cupcake
115. maddie
116. prison break
117. into the woods
118. oracle
119. pinewood
120. azrael
121. unleashed
122. failed takeover
123. strange
124. vessel

072. cat

843 32 1
By evermoreobrien

            ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Maneater: Nelly Furtado

"What does Jimmy Cross always carry with him?" I flip the pancake in the air before it lands on the plate in my other hand.

"His love letters from Martha." Clark answers from behind me.

"That's correct." I tell him. "Which soldier is always afraid and takes tranquilizers to combat his fear?"

"Lavender." He opens the fridge and grabs the orange juice.

"Good. Which soldier always carries a bible?" I turn off the stove.

"Kiowa."

"Hey, you finally pronounced it right."

"Only because you made me repeat it thirty times last night at three in the morning."

"You answered. You wanna be mad at someone, pick yourself."

"Why were you even up at three in the morning? Were you working on that case?"

"I was training."

"For what? World War III?"

"Yes, duh. Kent, c'mon."

"You're right. You're a paranoid insomniac who never rests. I should've known. My apologies." Clark nods.

"You're forgiven." I nod back before placing the plate of pancakes on the table. "Okay, general knowledge time by yours truly."

"Oh, God." He exhales and I turn before throwing a rag at him. "Did I hurt Brianna Brady's feelings?"

"You wish." I scoff before leaning against the sink.

"I think I did." He nods.

"Not even in the slightest." I reply. "So, whatever. Guess you'll never know what I was gonna say." I shrug before crossing my arms.

"I'm sorry. Tell me."

"That's the best you got?" I raise my eyebrows.

"You're gonna make me beg, aren't you?"

"You have free will to do whatever you please, Kent." I nod and he walks closer to me before exhaling.

"Please." Clark mocks my raised eyebrows.

"Since you said it so nicely." I grin. "The Things They Carried isn't even real."

"What?"

"Tim O'Brien made all those stories up. He just wants us, the readers, to understand that while the book may be inspired by his experiences in Vietnam, it is not a memoir of his time there."

"No way."

"Yes, way. And it won the National Book Award for 1978, beating out John Irving's, The World According to Garp and The Stories of John Cheever. O'Brien said the book is based on a fantasy he always had about going AWOL."

"How do you know that?" Clark blinks.

"I'm me." I smile and he scoffs. "The more you know, you know? Get it?" I raise my eyebrows and he chuckles while shaking his head.

"What's all this?" Martha enters with Jonathan.

"I came here at eight, dragged your son out of bed and did this in the span of an hour."

"I think you're forgetting the part where you called me at three in the morning. Therefore, interrupting my sleep and in conclusion, I only got about six hours of sleep in total."

"I'll try for lucky number seven next time."

"Have I told you how kind you are?"

"You just did. And I appreciate it." I nod.

                   •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"How the roles have reversed, Kent." I lift my head up from the pillow and grab my ringing phone from my nightstand. "The hell?" I look at the random number before answering. "Jim?" I guess.

"Is this Brianna Brady?" A female voice asks.

"This is she." I sit up. "Who is this?"

"An anonymous tip."

"For what?"

"Just get back down here. There's something you're gonna wanna check out." She hangs up.

I look at the clock, realizing it's almost four in the morning. I pull the blanket off me and put a hoodie over my shirt. I then grab my leather jacket and fix my hood. I put on my high tops and tie the laces extra tight.

I grab my already packed emergency duffel bag from under the bed and sling it over my shoulder. I grab one of my notebooks and a pen. I write a note to Miles, Darion, Layton and my mom. I tear the paper out and quietly head downstairs. I place the note on the table before exiting the house.

                  •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"And then Zeb and Smoke went right down, and that's when that wacky dude just shot Soldier." A dark skinned boy says as I enter the station. "That's when I realized I needed to get out of there. So I ran and I ran, and that's how I ended up on the floor of that restaurant."

"Jim! Harvey." I head over.

"Brianna?" Jim questions.

"Kid?" Harvey says at the same time.

"What are you doing here?" Jim asks.

"I got an anonymous tip about this at four in the morning." I inform. "We're here to help. What's your name?"

"Macky." The dark skinned boy tells me.

"Macky. Brianna Brady." I nod. "How'd they abduct these kids?"

"A pin."

"She used a pin?" Jim raises his eyebrows.

"I swear. A big pin." Macky assures and I cross my arms. "But, listen, this is not the first time. Street kids have been disappearing for weeks now. By the dozen. No one knows why."

"First we heard about it." Harvey inquires.

"Why—why would you? Nobody gives a crap about us.
I mean, look! That is proof!" He turns around and shows us the back of his neck.

"That's not proof. That's a scab. Now, listen, Macky, we're grown-ups. We're smarter than you. So you're gonna...you're gonna tell me the truth! It was you, wasn't it? It was you that killed that poor old man. It was you. Now, you're gonna tell me the truth, or I swear to God, I'm gonna beat it out of you! That old man was a war veteran!"

"Listen, Cat was there. Cat saw the whole thing. Ask Cat. Ask Cat!"

"Relax, Macky, relax." I push Harvey away. "No one's gonna beat you. Who's Cat?"

"What do you mean, no one's gonna beat him?" Harvey says. "Isn't that what I just said I was gonna do right now, just now? I was gonna beat him?"

"Come here! Come here. Come here!" Jim leads Harvey away.

"And I'm the kid." I retort.

"Damn right you are." Harvey tells me.

"He is sixteen." I walk over to him and Jim.

"Yeah, and six-foot, two hundred and twenty. He can take a punch. Look, I wasn't gonna beat him. I just wanted to scare him. But if I did wanna beat him, I could. It would be my prerogative."

"It's illegal." Jim and I say.

"Ill...how now so righteous? Hmm? Not long since you put a man in the river." Harvey seethes.

"What?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"You wanna say that a little louder? Not everybody heard." Jim glares at his partner.

"Ever since then, you've been a royal pain in the ass. You think I or anybody around here gives a crap about a dead snitch or your guilty conscience? We got our own problems." Harvey goes on.

"Guilty conscience, call it what you want. I'm gonna do what's right. We both are."

"You're beginning to irritate me."

"Jim." I warn.

"Get your hands off me." Jim pushes Harvey.

"Hey! Watch the shoes, clown." Detective Wilson stands up before Harvey kicks him to the floor.

"Shift's over." Harvey walks away.

"You better start talking. Now." I roughly turn Jim around to face me. "You can trust me, Jim. Talk." I raise my eyebrows and Jim leads me away.

"Oswald was the one who snitched on Fish about Mario Pepper. They had me put a bullet in Oswald." Jim tells me.

"You let him live, didn't you?" I whisper as my eyes dart around his face. "You're not even making direct eye contact, Jim." I lowly scoff. "I'm mushy at the thought of you giving someone a second chance, but if Fish or the Falcones find out, they're gonna come after you. And I don't want that to happen, Jim."

                        •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"They're saying they have a right to stop me from beat on a mope." Harvey says.

"Damn right we do." Jim replies.

"How am I supposed to work with this?"

"By shutting up and just getting the damn job done." I grit my teeth before crossing my arms.

"Thank you." Jim nods at me.

"Look it, Jim, it's not like I can order you to break the law, but this is Gotham. You don't bend, you'll get broke." Captain inquires.

"I understand."

"I thought you were with the program."

"He is." Harvey points out.

"Well, let's get back to work. Where are you at?" Captain asks.

"Well, if the boy we have is telling the truth, there's a couple of kidnappers out there abducting homeless children in numbers. They lured them close with a food truck from the mayor's Homeless Outreach Project." I inform.

"And they drugged them with a jab from a big pin." Jim adds.

"Why would anyone wanna abduct scaggly-ass orphans in bulk?" Harvey questions. "I mean, where's the market? They're out on the street because no one wants them anyway. If they said they were snatching cute girls, I'd believe 'em. But what would anyone want with a lard-ass like Macky?"

"I am two seconds away from compressing you." I glare at him.

"What is it, Ed?" Captain asks.

"Guess what I found." Ed enters. "I did a blood test on him, and he had high levels of ATP. What's ATP?"

"It's a fast-acting knockout drug." I answer.

"Exactly, Brianna." He smiles. "They used to use it at the old Arkham Asylum to bring down troublesome patients. It's hard to get. No recreational use."

"Okay. That's interesting." Harvey nods.

"Anything else?" Captain wonders and Ed shakes his head. "Thank you, Ed." She nods and Ed looks at us before Jim clears his throat. "Thank you, Ed." She repeats and Ed leaves. "Get to work. And keep this quiet. No press. Not a word."

"Shouldn't we tell the public what's going on? Warn them?" I suggest.

"Department policy. We don't advertise this kind of stuff. Causes panic. The headlines will read Gotham's Kids Snatched."

"Which would be true." Jim says.

"No press. That's an order. Follow up on the drug, the ATP and the Arkham connection." Captain tells us.

"Arkham's been closed for, like, ten years." Harvey replies.

"Yeah, fifteen."

"Drug suppliers might still be in business." I nod and Jim follows me to the door.

"Oh, uh, this happened on Fish Mooney's turf. Do you wanna see if it's safe for us to go back there, or is, uh, she still mad at us?" Harvey asks.

"That's a good question." Captain sighs.

"Lucky for me, she likes me." I nod. "For some reason. C'mon." I leave and the boys follow me.

                        •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Harvey." Fish greets as we enter. "Jim. Brianna Brady. How marvelous." She grins at me.

"Maria." I give her a mere nod.

"You still mad at us?" Harvey asks.

"No. Please." Fish replies as Harvey kisses her cheek and I cross my arms. "I'm quite fond of you, and...you two intrigue me. I knew I'd regret killing you as soon as I gave the word. But you know me. I'm feisty."

"What do you know about a man and a woman abducting street kids on your turf?" Jim wonders.

"No foreplay with you, hmm? Figures, but you got with the program. Killed Penguin your own bad self. I was surprised. Straight arrow like you."

"I guess you misjudged me."

"I guess I did. You're just a little sinner like the rest of us. I'm almost kind of sad about that." Fish walks closer to him.

"We're looking for a man and a woman, middle-aged, white, targeting children under sixteen. They use a poisoned pin, if you can believe it." I inquire.

"Oh. Used to be there was only a market for nice-looking girls."

"That's what I said." Harvey nods and I send him a death glare.

"But now there's a new buyer overseas that will take anyone young and healthy." Fish goes on.

"Overseas where?" Jim questions.

"Who's they?" I wonder.

"Nobody knows." Fish tells me.

"What do they want 'em for?"

"Nobody knows. And no one cares to know."

"Well you've been real helpful." I nod before I turn.

"How old are you?" Fish asks.

"Seventeen. Why?"

"Are you in high school?"

"Yeah."

"Quarterback for six years. Father died when you were eleven."

"You've done research, congrats."

"I am sorry about your father, Brianna."

"He was never a father. And it was a long time ago." I turn and leave.

                    •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you." Bruce says as I stop hitting and kicking the punching bag.

"You didn't." I reply. "Besides, it's your house. And thanks for setting this up for me."

"Of course. You're my friend, this is your house too."

"Oh, here." I take off a boxing glove before holding out the check he gave to me. "I can't accept this, Bruce."

"You can and you will. Use it for college. And your mom, and Miles, and your little brother for when he gets older. I want you to have it, Brianna." He nods and I hug him.

"Thank you, Bruce." I whisper.

                    •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Gotham Spirals Ever Downward. Mayor James under attack. Vows swift action. Points finger at police department's sluggish response. Et cetera." Captain grits her teeth as I sit next to Jim at his desk.

"It's just ink." Harvey looks at the newspaper as I rock myself back and forth in the swivel chair.

"Did you give them this?"

"Me?"

"You've done it before."

"On my own case? Never. Be a very stupid thing to do."

"You gave me an order and I followed it, Captain." I nod before sipping my tea.

"Jim?" Captain questions.

"I didn't call it in. I swear." Jim tells her.

"Another mystery."

"We have a thin lead on the case, if you'd like to hear it, ma'am." He stands up.

"There's only three companies in Gotham that stock this ATP stuff, and you need a special license to buy it." I now stand beside Jim.

"Chances are, one of the three's crooked."

"We're looking to lean hard on all three, like they are crooked, see which one pops." Harvey nods and Captain grabs the newspaper before leaving. "That was sneaky good. Almost couldn't tell you were lying."

"I wasn't lying." Jim mocks a smile before dialing a number. "Good morning, Judge Baker. Thank you, sir. Yes, all three. Welzyne, Dracotech and Quillan Pharma."

                  •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"You didn't call the Gazette, but did your girl call the Gazette?" Harvey asks as we head out of the car.

"Yeah." Jim replies.

"I knew it."

"I didn't know she was gonna call 'em."

"Seriously, you gotta learn to control your woman."

"I kind of like her the way she is."

"No, these high-class temperamental broads...they need firm handling. Trust me."

"Trust you? On women?" I scoff.

"Damn right. All varieties. From hausfraus to movie stars. I love 'em all." Harvey tells me. "Now, you? Let
me guess. High school sweetheart. Then a bunch of hoes overseas only made you sad, and then there's Barbara."

"Pretty much." Jim nods.

"You, my friend, are a monkey riding a racehorse."

"And you, my fellow mongoloid, are going to shut up, stick to the guns and help us shut this trafficking ring down. And this is the first and last time I'm going to say it."

"Say what?" Harvey questions.

"No fucking around." I deadpan. "You make me say it again, I'll give you a big pin." I enter the store with Jim behind me.

"Good evening. May I help you?" A woman rushes over to the counter.

"Detectives Gordon, Brady and Bullock. We need to speak to whoever's in charge here, ma'am." Jim tells her.

"Of course. Mister Quillan, detectives are here to see you." She calls out and I open the door to the back.

"Oh, wow. Detectives. Hey, what's up?" Mister Quillan stands up. "Nothing serious, I hope."

"Cut the crap. We have a warrant to search the premises. We know what you're doing." Harvey holds up the warrant.

"Well, then, you know some boring stuff, then. I mean, what are you talking about?"

"You're peddling ATP to those kid snatchers."

"Oh, my gosh, no. I-I mean, we used to stock ATP, but not since the Arkham Asylum closed. Uh, uh...I heard that the Wayne Foundation is planning on reopening the old place again. But now that the Waynes are dead, I guess everything's up in the air. Uh...what a world, eh? Nobody's safe." He says before the lights go out.

"Brianna!" Jim wraps his arm around me before gunshots go off.

"Jim!" I take out my gun and we start firing as we back away to a corner. "Jim! Harvey! Go, go!" I keep firing my gun before the three of us head out to see a van drive off. "Dammit." I heave. "Quillan." I turn and head back inside before making my way to Quillan in the corner. "Where are they?" I point my gun at the back Quillan's head and he turns to face me before I cock it.

"In—In the back." Quillan nods forward.

"Watch him!" I shout to Jim before entering the back room and I step inside. "Freeze." I raise my gun and the man goes to shoot me, but I pull the trigger first.

The man screams before falling to the ground. I now walk down the stairs and the kids look up at me in shock.

"You're safe now." I nod to the kids and some of them hug me. I hug them back tightly and close my eyes as more join in.

                   •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"On behalf of all the citizens of Gotham, I wanna thank you brave gentlemen from the bottom of my heart." The Mayor tells Jim and Harvey as I step all the way back from the camera. "And I wanna promise you kids...we will take care of you as if you were our own children. But here's the thing. The people who victimized these kids are still out there. And hundreds of vulnerable youngsters are still living rough on our streets. Alone, unprotected, and let's face it, that's the real crime here. So what are we going to do to help these kids? Yesterday I made a phone call to Juvenile Services and the GCPD to initiate a humane but tough-love program to get these kids off the streets and into the loving arms of Juvenile Services."

I clench my jaw before I turn. I enter the Captain's office and I angrily exhale. I fold my hands and place them against my lips to stop me from screaming.

"I think that went very well." The Mayor says as I keep my back turned to them.

"I think so." Captain replies. "A small toast, Your Honor?"

"You read my mind."

"Mister Mayor. Uh, where are you sending all the children that get rounded up?" Jim asks.

"Foster homes for the cute, undamaged ones. Upstate for the rest." The Mayor tells him.

"Upstate?"

"The Alpena Youth Corrections Facility. A fine institute."

"Prison, in other words."

"Forgive me, Your Honor. Detective Gordon's our house firebrand." Captain says.

"No, no, no, th-that's okay. Jim. May I call you Jim?" The Mayor asks. "Half the petty crime in the city is homeless kids. They need structure. People who care for them. For the greater good of Gotham and for the children. You see?"

"I see you're using the child snatchers as a pretext to lock up children without a trial." I turn to him watery eyes.

"Thank you, my friend. Valuable input. Most refreshing."

"L'chaim." Harvey holds up his flask.

"You son of a bitch." I whisper to the Mayor before I turn exit the office.

"Brianna." Jim calls out and I quickly wipe under my eyes. "Brianna!" He follows me.

"Brady. Gordon. Man's been waiting for you upstairs." An officer tells us and I turn to see Alfred waiting from above.

"Thanks." I rasp out and make my way up top. "Hi, Alfred."

"Brianna." Alfred shakes my hand.

"Mister Pennyworth." Jim walks over.

"Alfred, please." He shakes his hand. "It's bedlam, isn't it? Rough job you got."

"Best job in the world."

"I wonder if it might be convenient for you to visit us tomorrow."

"Of course."

"Why? Is something wrong?" I wonder.

"I don't know. Never had a child before." Alfred tells me.

"Nor me." Jim says.

"The boy respects you both. Teatime, shall we say?"

"Teatime." I nod and Alfred rubs my shoulder before walking away and I lean my arms over the railing.

"Brianna-"

"You shot him, okay?" I cut Jim off. "I don't want my family seeing me in the press about a homeless child sex trafficking ring. You and Harvey get the praise and all the camera glory and I do my job and help Bruce get justice for his parents' murder. That's it. That's all there is to it." I sniffle. "And about Oswald, sooner or later, they're gonna find out, Jim. And I don't want anything to happen to you. I can't—I won't let-"

"Hey, listen to me." Jim grips my shoulder. "Nothing is going to happen to me. I told Oswald to never come back to Gotham. He's long gone. And you saved those kids back there. Now all we can do is hope they call here so that we can get them into good home, okay?"

"Cat."

"What?"

"Macky said that Cat saw the whole thing about the drug pins. I think she was the one who called me. I think she placed in the anonymous tip."

                   •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Look, I told you everything I know. I told you." Quillan says as Harvey hits him in the face with a book.

"Now, you see those two right there? They don't like it when I beat people, but for you, they got no objection. Why is that?" Harvey asks.

"Math. Thlives of thirty children versus one scumbag." I inquire.

"So I can beat you like a bongo drum and the kid and Saint Jim here won't intervene."

"Give us something." Jim urges and I push Harvey back before punching Quillan across the face.

"Holy shit, kid."

"Okay, okay!" Quillan groans. "Look...the truck. You know, when they came to pick up the last bunch of kids. On the side of it, there was a-a picture. Like a logo. I-I didn't wanna say before because it would give a bad impression. See, it doesn't reflect, really, what, you know-"

"What was it?" I fist his shirt.

"It has a...a blue plate and a silver fork."

"A plate and a fork?" Harvey questions.

"Yeah, you know, like, with the..." Quillan trails off

"Like a catering company? Like food?"

"Well, yeah, like that, I mean, you know, but, I mean, that doesn't mean...you know."

"Doesn't mean what?" I ask.

"Look, I don't know what they do to them." Quillan cries and covers his face as a reflex.

"Alright, draw the logo. Uncuff him." I let go of Quillan and Jim takes out a notepad.

                     •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Alright, thanks." Jim hangs up as I sit in a chair, staring at Quillan's drawing of the logo. "Nothing. You?"

"Nope." Harvey replies.

"Apparently, there are no companies in Gotham with trucks with a plate and a fork as their logo."

"Selling children for food? Is such a thing even possible? That was some punch, kid." I feel him look at me.

"We've got officers searching all the trucks on every bridge and tunnel. But they had a three-hour window. We can only pray they stayed in the city. If not, they could be any place on Earth by nightfall." Captain walks over from the corner of my eye.

"Scum-sucking toads. Where are they?"

"It's not a blue plate." I get up. "It's not a fork, either. It's a trident." I walk away.

                     •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Heads up, bitch." I knock out the woman from the drug store earlier with the back of my gun.

"Brianna!" Jim rushes over. "Hi. What's your name?"

"Why is that your business?" The girl questions.

"Cat." I nod. "I'm Brianna Brady. You called me. Sent in that anonymous tip. You sound the exact same as you do on the phone."

"Hey!" Harvey steps out with his gun pointed at a man.

"Where are the kids?" I walk over and point my gun at his forehead. "Where are they?"

                      •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"He's not been sleeping. And when he does, he has these nightmares. Now he's hurting himself. Burning himself. He's cutting." Alfred explains.

"Is he getting professional help?" I ask.

"Oh, you mean a psychiatrist? No, no, he won't have 'em. No psychiatrists. That's a rule."

"You make the rules, don't you? You're his guardian." Jim stands up.

"Bruce's father gave me very firm orders was him and his missus to die. Now, I will raise the boy the way his father told me to raise him."

"Which is how?" I stand up.

"Trust him to choose his own course. He's, after all, a Wayne." Alfred tells me.

"Sounds like a recipe for disaster. What do you want me us do?"

"He wants you to talk some sense into me." Bruce enters.

"Haven't I told you to stop creeping up on people like that before? It's bloody rude!" Alfred points at him.

"Alright, then, Bruce. Talk to me." I walk over to him.

"I'm perfectly fine. Alfred's a worrywart." Bruce comments.

"What did you do to your hand?" Jim wonders.

"I burned it."

"Listen to me, Bruce. You've been through a terrible experience. Talking to someone can be very helpful."

"You must have seen terrible things in the war. Does it...does it help you to talk about what you saw?"

"Yes. A little."

"You're not a very good liar."

"Bruce, you're hurting yourself." I place my hand on his shoulder.

"I'm testing myself." Bruce tells me. "Different, but I appreciate your concern." He eats a cracker before sitting down. "I've been following your adventures in the newspapers. I feel very sorry for all those poor children."

"Me, too." My eyes start to water.

"Were you like them?"

"No." I sit back down. "But I had a friend who was. He was in a very bad foster home. They beat him."

"Is he alive?"

"Yes."

"What's his name?"

"Drew. His name is Drew Richards. But I haven't spoken to him in eleven years."

"Why?" Bruce asks.

"I moved to Smallville at the start of high school. We just lost touch right after."

"I'll give you some money to give to the children."

"I'm afraid it doesn't work that way, Bruce."

"What way does it work?"

"Those children need someone who cares for them, like you have right here. Money won't buy that."

"There must be something I can do. What about clothes? They all looked awfully ragged."

"They did, didn't they?" Jim inquires.

"Listen to me." I fold my hands. "You wanna test yourself? Step one—keep that fear with you. Always."

"Why?" Bruce wonders.

"Cause how you react in fear is when your true colors are exposed, Bruce. Always remember that." I nod.

"Will you teach me?"

"What?"

"How to fight. Will you teach me?"

"Yes." I nod after a few seconds. "I'll teach you how to fight, Bruce."

                    •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Hello, Cat." I sit next to her. "How can I help you?"

"We need to talk, Brianna." Selina tells me.

"Okay." I nod. "It's alright." I assure and Jerald hands me a file. "Thanks. Selina. Pretty name."

"Yours is pretty too."

"Thanks. How did you know my number?"

"Used a burner phone. I followed you around with Detective Gordon and Bullock a few days ago."

"I see. You have very pretty eyes, anyone ever tell you that?"

"Not as many people who've told you." She nods.

"You Macky's friend?" I go into my jean pocket and hold up a Kit Kat.

"Yeah, I know Macky." She takes it and opens the wrapped.

"Those bastards nearly got you twice, huh? You're quite a survivor."

"You have no idea." Selina eats the candy. "Suppose I had something you really, really wanted. If I gave it to you, could you get me out of here?"

"What do you got?"

"Like I said, I've been watching you. You're a friend of the boy. You're not a real cop just yet, you're seventeen, eighteen, still in school. Probably really smart, takes care of others, puts their needs first, and you're not like the rest of these crooks."

"The boy? Bruce?" I raise my eyebrows and she slowly nods. "What do you mean, you've been watching me?"

"That Mario Pepper guy was a patsy, huh?" She takes another bite of the candy.

"What makes you say that?"

"Could you? Could you get me out?"

"It's possible."

"I saw who really killed the Waynes. Saw him clear as day."

She better not be lying.

                               ▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

                                  AUTHOR'S NOTE
                                     🪐🌙✨🚀🌌☄️

brianna this whole chapter🥵 i still can't believe selina lied, like she saw thomas and martha get shot, but she never saw their faces😭

my girl still slays though

                           ▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 212 24
Disclaimer: I don't own movies pics or shows.
1.8K 112 15
Skylar Shaw has secrets. She's kept them well enough in her small town in Kentucky- Smallville- but things have gotten... strange. It seems like ever...
3K 82 12
Her life was full of misery, and she felt like she couldn't ever escape. His life was changing because of a revelation that changed his family's dyna...
21.1K 1.2K 33
"You know that I have always tried to save you, But deep down I know you're my savior too." [Book 2] [Timothy Drake] [Started: 04/24/2020] [Completed...