Last One

By Autu_mn

Everything seems to be improving and going perfectly well for teenager Demi, but that soon changes when she's... More

Last One
Last One - Act 1, Scene 1
Last One - Act 1, Scene 2
Last One - Act 1, Scene 3
Last One - Act 1, Scene 4
Last One - Act 1, Scene 5
Last One - Act 1, Scene 6
Last One - Act 1, Scene 7
Last One - Act 2, Scene 1
Last One - Act 2, Scene 2
Last One - Act 2, Scene 3
Last One - Act 2, Scene 4
Last One - Act 2, Scene 5
Last One - Act 2, Scene 6
Last One - Act 3, Scene 1
Last One - Act 3, Scene 2
Last One - Act 3, Scene 3
Last One - Act 3, Scene 4
Last One - Act 3, Scene 5
Last One - Act 3, Scene 6
Last One - Act 3, Scene 7
Last One - Act 4, Scene 2
Last One - Act 4, Scene 3
Last One - Act 4, Scene 4
Last One - Act 4, Scene 5
Last One - Act 4, Scene 6
Last One - Act 4, Scene 7
Last One - Act 4, Scene 8
Last One - Act 4, Scene 9
Last One - Act 4, Scene 10
Last One - Act 4, Scene 11

28 1 0
By Autu_mn

The next day

At school

Adele and Demi in Music class

Adele: Hey did you get added to that group chat by Joe?

Demi: N-no? He tried to m-message me though b-but I ignored h-him.

Adele: He actually seemed like he was sorry in the message he sent.

Demi: R-really?

Adele: Yeah, I'll show you.

Adele gets her phone out and shows Demi the message

Demi takes the phone and reads the message

Demi: Huh. It does s-sound like he m-meant it.

Adele: Yeah, I think he does. Maybe he finally realised how shitty he's been acting.

Demi: Either t-that or Ethan t-told him to say s-something.

Adele: I don't think so, he was in the chat as well.

Demi: Oh.

Adele: He probably tried to message you individually cause it was more about you than us.

Demi: Y-yeah. I'm n-not ready to t-talk to him about it y-yet though I d-don't think, I d-don't know,  it's j-just a lot.

Adele: Yeah that's fair enough.

Later, at lunch...

Adele and Demi at a table

Kayla comes rushing down the hallway towards them and sits at the table

Kayla: Did you guys get that message from Joe!?

Adele: Yeah I did.

Demi: I d-didn't b-but I've s-seen it.

Kayla: Pah yeah it was 'an apology.' I bet he copied and pasted it from somewhere or something stupid.

Demi: I thought Ethan s-said to h-him about it to b-be honest.

Kayla: Oh my god I didn't even think of that! (Laughs) He probably told him what to write and everything. Man it's funny.

Adele: Speaking of.

Joe walks over to the group

Joe: Hey guys. Did you get my text?

Adele: Yeah we did Joe, thanks for saying sorry.

Kayla: Yeah thanks.

Joe: And Dem, did you, err, see my message?

Demi: Shit, n-no s-sorry, I was b-busy.

Joe: Could I talk to you then? Alone?

Demi: I g-guess.

Demi and Joe move away from Adele and Kayla

Joe: I just wanna say I'm sorry, again. And I was wondering would you be up for coming round mine later?

Demi: Joe!?

Joe: What?

Joe realises what he said

Joe: Oh no no, not in that way. (Laughs lightly) I mean come round so we can talk and I can explain last night, properly.

Demi stayed silent

Joe: Please Dem. At least let me explain.

Demi: Ok...b-but I c-can't s-stay long.

Joe: That's fine, I just need to say what I need to and then you can leave and we don't have to speak again, if you want that.

Demi: I'll s-see y-you later.

Joe: Bye Dem.

Joe walks away, Demi goes back to her friends

Adele: What was that about?

Demi: I'm g-going r-round his later to hear h-him out about y-yesterday.

Kayla: Oh shit.

Demi: It'll be f-fine, I h-hope.

Adele: If it isn't then message me and I'll come over.

Demi: Ok.

All laugh lightly

After school...

Demi arrived at Joe's

Joe: Thanks for coming.

Demi: N-no problem.

Joe: Do you want a drink or anything?

Demi: I'm f-fine, thanks.

Joe: Feel free to take a seat.

Demi: Joe, I'm in a w-wheelchair.

Joe: Shit yeah sorry. Sorry. Do you want me to help you onto the sofa or are you okay there?

Demi: I g-guess you could.

Demi holds onto Joe as he helps her onto the sofa

Joe: Is that okay?

Demi: Y-yeah, thanks.

Joe goes into the kitchen, comes back with water, then sits down on the sofa near to where Demi is seated

Joe: I just wanna start of by saying sorry again for well, everything.

Demi: Joe, I said it w-was okay.

Joe: No but especially for the dance. I lied to you and it fucked everything up and I hate that.

Demi: W-why d-did you lie?

Joe: I...I don't know. I guess I didn't want you to know I was smoking still cause I know you don't like smokers.

Demi: Joe I've known for m-months, we were together when you s-started.

Joe: I thought you knew!

Demi: Yeah I d-did.

Joe: I really don't know why I lied. And I left you! Fucks sake. I should've at least helped you sit down before I left. Or just not left. If I had only done that then you wouldn't be hurt even more.

Demi: No one c-could've known though Joe. B-but yeah you shouldn't have left me, especially cause I could b-barely stand.

Joe: I know, I know. And it was straight after we'd kissed, oh god! I wasn't even thinking.

"8 o'clock alarm" by John Michael Howell starts playing in the background...

Joe sighs

Joe: I got nervous. I act out when I'm nervous. I started smoking to get rid of that, and it made me feel shit, which was worse. But then me feeling like shit meant I treated you and the others like shit. And it all went wrong.

Demi: We would've t-tried to help Joe. W-why d-didn't you s-say anything?

Joe: It wouldn't have worked, I would've pushed you away even more.

Demi: I know y-you act out b-but just d-didn't expect you to that much. Especially w-when y-you and Kayla w-were arguing last night, that w-wasn't y-you.

Joe: I know, and I felt bad immediately after. I was mad at myself more than anything but then took it out on you guys. I just wish you didn't find out like that.

Demi: Y-yeah so do I... Why w-was Kira out there with y-you at the d-dance anyway?

Joe: I messaged her to come. I got scared when you and I kissed and panicked so I went back to Kira and I kissed her, which might have been my biggest mistake yet.

Demi: D-did the others know?

Joe: Ethan saw us. And he probably told Adele, but I don't know.

Demi looking upset but keeping it together

Joe: I was so dumb to kiss her because now you're hurting, and I hate that drunk decision has fucked everything up. But Demi-

Demi: (Interrupts Joe) Y-you were drunk?

Joe: I...yeah, yeah Dem. Again I used it to cope but it only works for so long.

Demi: Have y-you d-drank today?

Joe: No, but that was the last time I had anything.

Demi: W-what about s-smoking?

Joe: I...smoked earlier. I've cut down a lot though. I know it's bad but I'm trying Dem I really am.

Both silent for a minute

Joe: I know I'm a wreck but I'm getting better. I really am.

Demi: I b-believe you.

Joe: You do?

Demi: Yeah, I can tell you're trying. Y-you seem d-different, m-more relaxed.

Joe smiles

Joe: I'm trying so hard to change. Being with Kira made me realise that I don't want to be that person anymore. And that she isn't the right person for me. I don't want to be with someone like that, and especially cause she's friends with Jesse and Lacey who bully everyone, including you for gods sake.

Demi: Y-yeah they s-suck.

Joe: They do.

They both laugh

Joe: I realised I was becoming mean like them and I hate that, so I broke it off with Kira.

Demi: Y-you b-broke up? But y-you said last n-night she w-was your girlfriend?

Joe: I lied. I broke it off a couple days ago cause she became so toxic it was awful oh my god.

Demi laughs

Demi: She w-was already t-toxic.

Joe: She really was. Why did I date her!?

Demi: I d-don't know. You d-date weird people.

Joe: That means you too.

Demi: Oi!

Both laugh again

Demi: So is that r-really the w-whole reason y-you broke up or d-did something else h-happen?

Joe: I realised I was happier before without her. (Laughs) And also that she wasn't the girl I wanted to be with.

Joe laughs nervously

Joe: I wanted her to be you Dem... I want to be with you.

Demi: W-what? Really?

Joe: Yeah I never really got over you after we broke up.

Demi: But you d-dated Kira?

Joe: Dating and a relationship are very different things, especially with someone like Kira.

Demi: T-true.

Joe grasps Demi's hands, she holds his

Joe: Look, I know I don't deserve you but I swear the guy you first fell in love with is still in here, he just needs help being brought out. Just give me a chance please Dem, even if we don't date. I'd do anything just to have you in my life again.

Demi: C-can I c-confess something as w-well?

Joe: Yeah, of course, go ahead.

Demi: I s-started g-gaining f-feelings for you again as well. (Laughs)

Joe: When was this!?

Demi: A c-couple weeks before the dance maybe. J-just after me and Beau b-broke up. I didn't even t-tell Adele.

Joe: I didn't expect that to be honest. I didn't think you'd be willing to trust me again.

Demi: I never d-didn't not t-trust you?  Yeah we've had arguments and one of us g-got hit by a car (gestures to self, then laughs lightly) but we're still ourselves. I still w-wanted to be with y-you after all that.

Joe: I want to be with you as well Dem.

Demi pulls Joe closer and they kiss

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

506 68 19
It feels like we are in hell when we are all alone.. When we leave our bestfreinds and start for a new life... When everything seems to be new.... Al...
3.4K 152 23
ITS FINISHED EVERYONE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT. I HOPE THIS STORY MEANS AS MUCH TO YOU AS IT DOES ME. (Please don't let the first chapter stop you...
1.3M 32.7K 55
"Go, I don't want to make you hate me for what I did." he says softly as a tear of drop dipped from his eyes. "What are you talking about?" I approac...
62K 4.3K 70
Life is hard. Specially when you're a high schooler. You can never know when your life is about to go up. And you 'especially' can never know when it...