Dhruva Nakshathra - The Game...

By DevaDDK

A man who has been falsely promised for a throne forms an alliance with someone who could be his shield to pr... More

|| 0 ||
PART I
ONE
TWO - a
TWO - b
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
PART II
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y-O N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
T W E N T Y - T H R E E
T W E N T Y - F O U R
T W E N T Y - F I V E
T W E N T Y - S I X
T W E N T Y - S E V E N
T W E N T Y - E I G H T
TWENTY - NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTHY-SIX
THIRTHY-SEVEN
THIRTHY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
PART III
FORTY
FORTY - ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY - THREE
FORTY - FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY - SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY - TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
FIFTY-EIGHT
FIFTY-NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY - ONE

THIRTY - FIVE

57 5 2
By DevaDDK

Kavish

In a matter of a day, Nakshathra became the talk of the town. People were singing praises for the courage she took to decline a marriage alliance despite the alliance was brought after the king had his word. That day was also the day the subjects learnt of the ever-existing law that had been disregarded and forgotten by everyone which eventually pushed the woman of their family in a marriage their never approved. But the women folks were determined to never let the mistake to repeat ever again, they held it close like another lifeline. With another reason to celebrate, the ladies of Kavish took up to celebrate the year's Festive of Rati in Nakshathra's honour.

Although the time in the palace wasn't a great one at the moment, the festive season made it bearable. The young princess sighed in contentment as she peeped through one of the windows. The city festive mode had begun to show up with vivid hues of canopies erected, variety of stalls buzzing with people and stages for performance built here and there. In contrast to the tensed atmosphere in the palace, the city looked very much lively.

The king was still upset with her, furious for embarrassing him and made him go back on his words. His pride had been bruised and Nakshathra had to remind him several times of his own state when he gave his promise to King Ayod. Bavaneswaran wasn't ready to admit, thus to show his anger, he admonished her from attending the court for all official events till he says she could.

The king's disappointment wasn't the only response she encountered that day, she had also bumped onto Ahalya who showed a mixture of emotions. Ahalya's crestfallen face forced Nakshathra to not groan loudly and rip up the drooping lips off her pretty face. For what Ahalya had planned, Nakshathra could have sent her back with Abhimanyu.

"Ahalya, I'm sorry I did not see you coming." Nakshathra took a step back creating wider space between them.

The lady's jaw dropped to the floor. "I think you missed to add Anni after my name but I'll excuse you this time."

The young princess stifled a laugh and seethed under gritted teeth, "I missed nothing, Ahalya. Definitely not your dirty plan, the plan you forced your brother to commit on me..." Nakshathra was calm yet she spat anger through her blazing eyes. "Know that, you lost my respect, it's only for Parthi that I'm still quiet." Nakshathra did not let her defend herself and added, "Spare me your explanations and take my advice, all you need to do forever is to take care of your marriage and don't meddle in my life." She stared hard at Ahalya before Nakshathra moved away from her presence.

The last thing Nakshathra wanted from her dramatic rejection of the Pareen alliance was breaking her brother's marriage. Parthiban had gone through a lot and she knew he was trying to make his marriage work, for that she had to give Ahalya the benefit of the doubt.

All of the current matters were to be look into later and for now, Nakshathra had only one thing to do for the next three days.

Practice!

*-*-*-*-*

During his stay in Nachimuthu's house, Dhruva had the opportunity to extract few more information from the son whom was one among the thirteen men he had brought back. Although he had a different reason to return too Kavish, Dhruva was grateful to have spent some time personally with Nachimuthu's son, Manickavasan.

When Nachimuthu brought Dhruva to his house, Manickavasan was stupefied by the presence of the foreign crown prince whom had safely brought him back to his country. Dhruva had a hard time to maintain a casual façade in front of Nachimuthu in order for Manickavasan to not say a word. Much to his relief, the farmer's son remained quiet and only reacted after Dhruva was introduced as the man who helped his father plough his land.

As the night fall, the two young men left for a friendly talk out in the middle of the field. A secure place where no one would get a chance to eavesdrop without their knowledge. The cold breeze and faint sound from the festive in the city lingered in the atmosphere sending vibes which made both the men smile.

"You are not as bad as everyone claims to be, Your Highness." Manickavasan started as he stared at Dhruva with admiration.

"Really? Do people here know about me?"

The farmer's son laughed shaking his head. "Not exactly you but your kingdom on the whole."

Dhruva nodded with a sad smile. Someone's impulse influence had given an entire nation a reputation one can never be proud of. No, it wasn't true. The people in his kingdom are all wonderful people just like Nachimuthu and Manickavasan but they had to bear the bad name because they belong to a kingdom as such. I will change it.

"Manickavasa, I have something to ask you. Can you tell me exactly what happened during the period you were held captive? Everything from here to how you end up in Ilyadari forest," asked Dhruva in hope to get at least a small hint of the person responsible.

"If this helps to get my friends and uncles back, I will surely tell you everything I know." Manickavasan agreed and shared details of the unpleasant and life-threatening event.

From Manickavasan's narration, Dhruva could only conclude the person behind the abduction was a lady and she certainly has a bad backstory with Kavish. The only person who had openly declared enmity with Kavish was his stepmother, queen Kumudhavalli but she had disowned her resentment with the kingdom long back citing her age and for the future of the people. If it wasn't the queen then who could it be? It was another missing puzzle which he would only find it in Durja.

**--**--**--**

As promised Asogan turned up at Nachimuthu's house on the evening of the third day. Dressed in fair tunic and dhoti, Asogan stood with the support of his staff outside the farmer's house. Asogan's unrelenting gaze on Dhruva made him feel exposed and threatened as the former whom he knew nothing about knew his identity. Nevertheless, Dhruva remained calm.

The purplish sky was the cue, time for them to head to the city and be a part of the celebration. On the third day of Rati as scheduled there were performance from the most hyped dancing troop the Myna, known to their versatile dance number with huge number of dancers and the Sarvesh Nadagam, a drama company which plays mythological to contemporary scripts in ease. Everyone heading to the city spoke of this and that preforming groups with growing anticipation.

"Can I ask you something, ayya?" asked Dhruva to the old man who was leading him and Manickavasan to the city square.

Asogan nodded. "How did you know about me?"

"When I speak to someone, I look pass their eyes and see their soul, their mind. I knew you are a royal blood, born to make a difference, either good or bad that depends on you," explained Asogan and beckoned them to follow.

"I'm sure he is born to make a good difference," commented Manickavasan with his fist pumping in the air.

Manickavasan's confidence in him was a surprise, something he did not expect to have garner in such a short span of time. It had always been in his mind that for a man to earn trust and respect from those who have hated his linage, he had to undergo hardcore penance. The farmer's son made him realise a simple act of kindness could be a stepping stone.

I guess that is how it is done. Step by step, true to oneself and kind to others.

The young men followed Asogan to the city square where rows and rows of canopies were arranged for vendors to put up stalls from all around Kavish. Lights lit so bright, it appeared to be daylight under the darkening sky and as the day goes darker, announcements were made for upcoming games and performances. The trio blended in the crowd as they stroll pass stall after stall. People could be seen moving in and out of the stalls with bags upon bags in their hands and wider smile on their faces.

There were variety of food, sweets, clothing and game booths arranged in the square with vendors shouting to pulled customers attention to their stalls with free gift bags and other eye-catching offers. They acknowledged the vendors with a nod, got themselves to-go snack bags at whichever stall attracted them and dived into the game's booth. Asogan who had seen a lot and played enough of those let the boys have their fun while he waited for them at a close distant observing the crowd.

After a short while Dhruva pushed himself out from the small crowd surrounded one of the game booths leaving Manickavasan at his own, in search of Asogan. He wanted a second confirmation regarding Nakshathra and if it was true, he would not want to waste any more time in Kavish. Despite deep within, he had a wish to get a glimpse of her.

"Why do you think you need a second confirmation on the information I shared? You don't trust me?" Asogan had asked in a deep stern tone. He wasn't quite happy on being doubted for what he had shared, thus he huffed and stomped away from Dhruva.

"Ayya, I didn't mean to doubt on you. I just wanted to be sure that I heard it right. I don't want to prolong my stay here for no reason."

Asogan stopped in his track and turned to face the guilty Dhruva. "Are you sure you don't want to prolong your stay here? Well, your heart strongly says otherwise."

"That's not true. I am honestly asking so I could leave in peace knowing things have been set right." Dhruva dismissed the statement, scrunching his face.

The old man read Dhruva's face, his own softened, "You don't have to deny, son. We are at the Rati, celebration of love and what's inside you is meant to be expressed. You know I can see through your heart and mind and so I know what's in there." Asogan poked his finger on Dhruva's chest. "Perhaps you need to see her again to reconfirm to yourself."

Dhruva wasn't entirely sure of what Asogan said but the next moment he was being dragged towards the sound of a blowing conch shells. Heading to the big stage where a large number of people have gathered, Asogan pushed through the crowd to get to the front. As soon as they reached at a reasonable distant to the stage, the old man turned to Dhruva as if he had something important to say, "Every day a group from the royal house performs here as part of the tradition. Today is the third day of Rati, it's Princess Nakshathra's day."

Dhruva was staggered, he was going to see Nakshathra? "No, I can't be here." He made a move but was held in place.

"This is exactly where you should be, Rajakumar. For once listen." Asogan brought his finger in front of his face and snapped.

His eyes sparkled at the sudden appearance of red mist. Red glowing spots floated before him and as it touched his body, it tickled and dissipated. A rush of emotion washed through him and it sent him to a yearning state.

The red mist clouded his vision but he did not go search the old man, Dhruva stayed rooted with a great desire to see her, be it from afar. The last memory he had of hers wasn't pleasant to remember and he wanted this time to be something they could hold on to for long enough to eventually forget each other. The cheering and hooting of the people around pulled him out of his thoughts. The traditional music rolled as the performers entered the stage one by one.

He watched with bated breath as the group of dancers positioned themselves on the stage, all dressed in ferocious red and styled alike but not really alike to him. Dhruva instantly spotted the woman whose face had etched in his memory. His heart screamed, beating ever so rapidly. Dhruva blossomed like the sunflower who had found the sun. Beaming in happiness, he finally saw Nakshathra well and healthy after the fire incident.

The singer begun to sing melodiously as the dancers moved like leaves and flower flowing in the river. On the stage, Nakshathra was the flower, around her they were the leaves and the music—the flowing river. The rapid beat of his heart, the smile on his face, the twinkling in his eyes, screamed only one word inside him—love. And like a stone thrown in the water, his mind agitated. It reminded him of the clash between their kingdoms.

"Ignore what set you both apart, focus on what bring you both together," Asogan murmured in Dhruva's ears, as he stood spell bounded at the sight of her while having a debate inside. Like the ripples in the water disappears after some time, his mind's agitation too faded. He made sure nothing disturbs as he engrossed himself in her performance.

If beauty had a definition, it's her. Nakshathra's face shone like that of a ruby glinting under the sun. Her mesmerizing eyes, pretty like that of a lotus and her smile as soft as rose petals. Her movements were graceful as the swan and her tresses bounded in a bunch secured with a strand of jasmine.

As he stood immersed in her performance, he had an urge to see her with her hair unbounded. What would she look like with her long tresses let loose? Like an angle, perhaps a goddess. His heart skipped a beat as he imagined her with her hair untied. He had never been enthralled as he was then, it was the moment he knew she had taken his heart forever.

The music and performance ended with a rigorous claps and cheers from the crowd, he knew it was time he took leave. Despite his heart longed to meet and speak to her, he can't allow it to happen. Dhruva wouldn't be able to handle the situation if it goes out of hand. He left the city square without bidding goodbye to Asogan nor Manickavasan but little did he know, he wasn't leaving alone.

The old man tailed him silently, listening intently to the whisper of the breeze, the ripples from the river and the murmurs of sleepy flowers. Asogan, a clairvoyant had read the signs, a way to achieve absolute peace in his country, Kavish and every sign indicated the same—a union. He saw through the guides of nature, the only way to stop suffering of the people were a union. An alliance that can forge strong bond and trust, it could be a promise for zero ambush on one another but the signs also warned for a condition. The alliance should not be made through treaty, forcibly nor witchcraft but love, a true love.

To materialise his dream and strengthen people's wellbeing, these two visionary minds must come together if not their destiny would part ways in the direction of future destruction for both the kingdoms. Through the heaves of their breath, Asogan read them; he loves her without a reason, she loves him with a reason. If neither gets closer, the union would never happen. Asogan was committed to not have the unwanted ever happen, it was his promise to his spiritual master who had loss his life in an ambush attack by Durja militants years ago. Use the signs, bring peace.

"Son, wait!" He called after the prince who continued to march ahead. "You are meant to make difference and it can only happen is you allow yourself to express. I'm telling you bluntly, if you leave now, you'll have to forget your dream for peace." Asogan implored as he strode after him in a speed matched to Dhruva's.

"I'll make it happen and what I have for the princess will not come in between my vision for peace between the two countries," he assured with a weak smile and a fair share of pain.

Asogan shook his head disagreeing with Dhruva. "Good things will happen when you allow it to happen. Don't hold anything back, son. I am nobody but I ask you to trust me, you both will not be who you are without each other especially in the future," pleaded the old man, his palms joined together as a request.

Dhruva stopped in his track, stood hesitantly; he wasn't confident. He didn't know if it was right to listen to Asogan but his heart wanted him to stay. Find Nakshathra, tell her what he feels for her and so on. His mind was a total mess, fighting the urge, confused and disturbed, Dhruva parted his way with Asogan and headed to the temple by the river Smiti in hope to find clarity.

One thing he was sure, if they were ever to come into an alliance, the enraged people in Durja will not keep the peace for long.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.2K 1.5K 29
Hey friends !!!! This is my first fanfiction and the beautiful bond between anidita from barrister babu inspired me to write this. It is not same as...
1.8K 127 27
It is popularly known that whatever happens, happens to be good. Whether it's going to happen or even it happened. And it happens like a blessing. Fo...
6.8K 579 38
||PART- 2- REGAL DUOLOGY|| (Can be read as a standalone) Darsh, the most illustrious son of Ashokdhar, is kind, loving, caring and simply just too go...
101K 4.6K 64
"Marry you?" She asked clearly astonished. "It's not by will." He said to his defense. "Then who's forcing you?" The princess inquired. "Nobody." "Am...