A Grim Fairy Tale

By Emeraldlily16

For centuries their stories have held the world in their spell and conjured images that have haunted the imag... More

Description
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three

Chapter Thirty-One

45 1 0
By Emeraldlily16

It had been so very long since the castle of Germany had held a special event. In fact, the very last social gathering hosted in this palace was the wedding feast of King Percival and Queen Desdemona, but her majesty was determined to have this occasion surpass all others that came before hand.

Every wall was covered with the finest sun and stitched tapestries, golden lanterns hung from the ceiling, the grandest musicians were playing tonight, and nearly every noble and royal was in attendance. Nearly. The only ones not attending were the royals of England due to a trade disagreement and the royals of Poland due to a sudden emergency.

Once all guests had arrived the trumpets sounded the arrival of the radiant Queen Desdemona. She slowly descended from the stair way, flaunting her seemingly ageless beauty and expensive ensamble to the best of her abilities. Her gown was as regal and radiant as she was, a black, green, and turquoise garment made from the finest silk and satin, and studded with gemstones. It captivated and intimidated them all, especially with it's cloak and collar of peacock feathers. Her hair was worn up in a black and green jeweled balaclava and upon her head there sat the crown which had been worn by generations of queens, a symbol of the title and power she wielded.

No surprise, the guests were all amazed by her beauty and even un-surprising, she relished in their admiration.

"Welcome my honorable guests." She greeted in a voice of pure refinement. "I gave this event to express the kingdom's great joy at the return of my beloved husband King Percival and to bring a little happiness back after so many years of sorrow."

She took her place at the throne.

"And tonight we welcome home to other loved ones of mine who have been absent for a tragic amount of time. First, presenting my daughter, the Lady Vagatha."

Vagatha was not at all excited about this ball. She had never liked big parties and spectacles like these. She would have much rather stayed in her room all night. But for the pleasure of her mother and out of respect for her stepfather, she consented to attend. Like her mother, she stepped down the stairway, slowly and with dignity. And also like her mother, she was a sight to behold.

Her gown was velvet with a bodice the was boat-neck shaped. The V-neck of the gown had their edges embroidered with ibis feathers and a ruby had been sewn at the center. Her sleeves were long and lined with gold thread to match the gold ribbon around her waist. Her brown hair had been pulled back and was kept in a gold threaded-hair net. She thought she looked utterly ridiculous, but the guests begged to differ.

"That's the queen's daughter?" A lot of them whispered.

"Why she is charming."

"Magnificent."

"She has such a pretty mouth and just look at how red her lips are."

"She's like a red rose."

"She resembles the queen greatly yet there seems to also be a great difference between them."

"Yes, she carries herself with such humility."

"And her eyes are so full of warmth."

As much as she detested parties, not even Vagatha was immune to compliments. She smiled at hearing so many people speak of her appearance in a positive manner. She could hardly believe it, all these people actually thought that she was beautiful.

"Vagatha do not forget to welcome our guests." Desdemona whispered to her daughter when she approached her.

"Yes Mother." Vagatha turned to face the guests. "Thank you all for kindly accepting my mother's invitation and attending this very important event that she has arranged. We are both ever so grateful and hope that you enjoy yourselves this evening."

"Such wonderful manners." A guest commented quietly. "Hard to believe she's not of royal birth."

"Indeed but where is the king's daughter? She's the one I'm the most anxious to see."

On cue, the girl in question started to reach the end of the hall, to the top of the stairway. The queen smiled vindictively as she imagined the horror on everyone's faces once they saw the royal heir.

"And last but certainly not least." She announced. "The Princess Charlotte."

But Desdemona was the only one horrified in that moment for when the princess made herself visible, she did not look at all as her stepmother expected her to.

Charlotte wore an ivory colored gown trimmed with silver. It was made from lace and gauze, skirt opened to reveal a blush colored under dress, her low, sweetheart neckline was edged in lace, and her long sleeves and bodice were embroidered with silver threads. Adornments made from crystal pink roses and branches of silver and diamonds had been weaved into her hair, around her neck was her mother's pearls and silver heart pendent, and upon her back was a small pair of wings constructed from the fallen feathers of wild swans.

There was immediately a profound silence. Everyone became completely still, astounded with the singular beauties of the maiden. Nothing could be heard save for the quiet comments of the entranced guests.

"She's so elegant and refined."

"I was told that she was an ugly child but that was obviously a lie. She is a vision of loveliness."

"Her hair is like sunshine and her skin glows like the snowfall."

"I have never seen such remarkable features in all my life."

"She is the mirror image of Queen Evangeline. A perfect beauty."

"And just as graceful as her mother was."

"How is it that she has yet to wed?"

"Percival is truly blessed."  Remarked King Stolas. "His daughter is as lovely and fair as you are Octavia."

"Thank you Father." The fifteen year old princess of Austria replied with a loving hand grasp.

Yes, Charlotte was so dazzlingly beautiful in all her splendor that all within the hall bowed before her. She responded with curtsy and then spoke.

"I am most grateful that you all have come here to honor my father, King Percival. He has spent many years fighting courageously and risking his very life to protect Germany and many other nations. By God's mercy, he shall return to us tonight and he will greatly appreciate your presence here. Though I know some of you may not be as fortunate as I am, some of you may have lost someone you loved dearly to the crusades so I offer you my sincere condolences and I shall pray that comfort be given to those suffering from such grief."

Her pious and gracious personality made their adoration of the princess increase, and it wasn't until she took her place by her stepfamily, that the evening continued on.

"Charlotte you look so beautiful." Vagatha said smiling. "And that dress is incredible."

"Yes it is." Desdemona said, her serene face masking her internal envy and rage.

She was so furious that her plan had failed and that not only did Charlotte end up becoming the belle of the ball, but also that she looked exactly like her mother in that moment. She recognized the gown. She knew it was Evangeline's gown, her favorite gown, the only decent gown she owned from when she was a goose maid.

"Wherever did you get such a dress?" Desdemona asked her. "And what happened to the dress I gave you?"

"It didn't fit me right." Charlotte answered. "So I decided to wear this one that I found. It's my mother's gown. Do you think it will do? Do you think Father will be pleased by it?"

"I'm sure he will." Vagatha said.

"Your gown looks beautiful on you too Vagatha."

"No, I look like completely out of place in this."

"You absolutely do not. You fit it perfectly, I'm sure a lot of eyes will be on you tonight, you might even attract a few suitors."

"Oh I sincerely hope not, because they'll find themselves being very disappointed when I turn them away."

The girls laughed and then proceeded to take part in the ball. For the next several hours, the sisters spent the evening making light conversation, dining on tasty delicacies, and watching exciting performances that were put on by musicians, dancers, jugglers, and magicians. It was a splendid event but Charlotte could not help but feel more anxious to see her father which each hour that passed. She wondered why it was taking him so long to arrive? Furthermore she also wondered why the ball was taking place without him? After all this ball was in his honor so should he not be here to enjoy it?

"Just what exactly is Stepmother up to?" Charlotte thought to herself, but she chose not to question anything.

For now that is.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 447 29
{OLD & DISCONTINUED} (seriously guys, it's horribly old, cringe, not canon, etc. i appreciate the interest but please stop reading this. i only made...
62.2K 1.4K 31
At Charlie's Castle, Millie talks with her best friend about how Charlie managed to create the Happy Hotel with the help of someone close to her. Y...
2.5K 70 7
In the dark and twisted realm of Hell, where legends of sinners fade into whispers and shadows, emerges a tale of legacy and mystery. Y/N Grimrose, t...
474K 8.4K 89
Y/n, our very first half human, half demon in this rare occurance, he doesn't remember much of about his past and must struggle to survive in this ne...