A Grim Fairy Tale

By Emeraldlily16

For centuries their stories have held the world in their spell and conjured images that have haunted the imag... More

Description
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three

Chapter Twenty-Eight

44 2 0
By Emeraldlily16

The messenger had asked the queen if her mother could come to the castle along with her daughter and stepdaughter, but just as Dolores predicted, the queen wanted no such thing. This worried Dolores. She suspected that the girls would not be safe in Desdemona's presence without her, but she couldn't just defy an order from the queen. All she could do for now is trust that Charlotte and Vagatha would be able to take care of themselves and that someone would be there to help them. Nevertheless that didn't mean she couldn't give one of them a small insurance.

"I'm not sure if your mother will be pleased with you bringing Raphael along." Dolores said. helping her granddaughter finish packing her bags. "There are only certain creatures she tolerates."

"Raphael won't cause any trouble." Vagatha said. "He knows how to behave." 

"But he doesn't like your mother. In fact neither your pet or Charlotte's like your mother, though it's not like they don't have good reason to dislike her."

"If I tell you Raphael not to bother Mother then he won't bother her. He's completely obedient to me."

"Not to mention loyal and protective." Dolores realized. "Perhaps it is a good thing you're bringing him along."

Dolores then briefly left the bedroom to retrieve something she had hidden beneath the floors of the cottage. It was a medium box made from wood that she had been saving for quite sometime.

"What's that Granny?" Vagatha asked.

"Something I've been meaning to give to you at just the right moment."

She placed the box into Vagatha's hands. She lifted the lid and inside there lay a finely crafted dagger in which the blade was made from pure gold.

"It was your father's." She said. "He made it himself and he intended to sell it one day in order to secure a dowry for you. He had the dagger on him the night he was killed and before he died, he told me to keep the dagger in the family no matter what because he had discovered that the  wolf was vulnerable to that weapon."

"How so?"

"I don't know but I believe that it would be in your best interest to keep this dagger with you. Don't lose it and don't sell it for anything."

"I won't. I promise."

"And should something happen, you are always welcome to come back here."

"I know."

"Remember what I taught you. Stick to the path, be wary of all creatures and people, no when the right time is to fight and to retreat, and for Heaven's sake please keep your temper under control."

"Yes Granny. I'll do all those things."

Dolores then pulled Vagatha close and hugged her tight. Her granddaughter returned the gesture of affection. Neither one of the women ready to say goodbye.

"You're not a bud anymore." The old woman said bittersweetly. "You're a fully blossomed rose now and it's time that whole world see that. I'm so proud of woman you've become Vagatha."

"Do you really mean that?"

"You know I do."

"I love you so much Granny. You've done everything for me and I wouldn't be who I am now without you."

"I love you too Vagatha and there's nothing I wouldn't sacrifice for you."

Dolores tearfully kissed Vagatha's cheeks and forehead. Then they heard sound of the horse drawn coach coming near. The old woman and two maidens greeted the coachman and the guards politely and the gentlemen in turn helped get the bags and pets of the maidens into the coach. Before leaving Vagatha and Charlotte shared one last farewell with Dolores.

For Vagatha is just more words of love and wisdom for the future. For Charlotte, she thanked the kind woman for looking after her all these years and would see to it that her father would reward her. Dolores pulled the young princess in for a hug and whispered something into her ear.

"You have your mother's face and you have your mother's heart." She warned.  "So you must be careful of my daughter. Do not allow yourself to be left alone with her and accept nothing that she offers you. She only bears you ill will."

Charlotte said nothing but nodded. Dolores kissed her forehead for luck and into the coach Charlotte went to join Vagatha and their pets. The horses soon began their journey and the sisters waved to the old woman from the window until she was out of sight.

Amid the trees, Charlotte spotted a familiar pair of red eyes watching them leave with longing though a smile was attached to those eyes. Charlotte waved to those eyes, however the wind caused her to drop the handkerchief she was waving with and he instantly collected the white clothed before it could touch the ground and become stained by the dirt.

"Goodbye." She bid him quietly.

"Goodbye." He bid in response.

She blew him a kiss and he clutched her handkerchief, their gazes did not leave each other until the distance made them fade from sight.

They reached the castle before dark and it was the queen herself who greeted them first. She smiled warmly and appeared quite eager for their arrival.

"My precious Vagatha." She hugged her daughter. "Words cannot describe how long I have missed you. Not one day passed when you were not in my thoughts."

"And I have missed you Mother." Vagatha hugged back.

"I hope you can forgive me for being away from you for so long. I know it was very hard on you but it was for your own protection. In matters of war no risks can be taken. At least not in matters of keeping my daughter safe."

"I understand Mother."

"We have so much to catch up on. After you are settled in, we shall have tea and talk."

Vgatha smiled excitedly.

Desdemona turned her attention to Charlotte. Her smile did not change but Charlotte a slight twinge to her eyes that seemed to spark something unpleasant within her.

"Charlotte it is so wonderful to have you home as well." She hugged her stepdaughter which confused her but she accepted it. "Your father will be delighted, and how beautiful you've grown."

The twinge grew stronger.

"Won't you join me and Vagatha for tea? We have much to discuss in preparation for the ball. Everything must be perfect for when your father arrives. The music, the food, the decor, and of course your apparel."

"You wish for me to attend the ball?" Charlotte asked, recalling how years back her stepmother had deemed her "Too loud and wild for any grand parties."

"Of course." Desdemona confirmed. "Why I even have a dress picked out for you. One that will suit you perfectly."

"I...I don't know what to say."

"Say? Honestly Charlotte, it hurts me that you don't feel like one of my daughters. With your father returning tomorrow night, we can all reunite at the ball as one big happy family."

Sweet words spoken with a very convincing tone. Words and a tone that Charlotte wanted to believe was genuine but she couldn't help but secretly feel skeptical. This was awfully nice, far nicer than her usual facade. She couldn't really mean any of what she said, could she?

"Oh just look at you two." The queen said looking upon the simple frocks they wore. "You are dressed like peasants. Those clothes will have to go. I'll order the servants to burn them and bring you both something much more fitting."

She called for the servants who escorted the young ladies to their chambers while also carrying their bags. As for their pets, Charlotte carried Eli in her arms and Raphael walked by Vagatha's side. Desdemona soon followed after the two but when she came close to Charlotte, Raphael began to growl at her. She in turn gave him a nasty sneer and sharply kicked him in the face with her boot as soon as all backs were turned.

"Raphael what's wrong?" Vagatha asked when she heard the poor dog yelp in pain.

"He must be hungry Precious." Her mother said. "Actually girls, I think it would be best if you're adorable little creatures were kept in the kitchen, where they'll be fed and out of the way."

"I don't know Mother. Raphael doesn't like to be alone for long, especially in a place he doesn't know very well."

"Oh Vagatha what a funny joke." She chuckled. "You speak as if that animal has real feelings. Now be logical sweetie, a dog doesn't know or care if his owner is nearby or not. Not as long as he has food in his belly. Same can be said for a cat."

Desdemona reached over to take Eli from Charlotte but the cat hissed and swiped at her.

"Agh! Why you wretched creature!" She screamed looking at the scratch on her wrist.

"Oh Stepmother I'm so sorry." Charlotte apologized. "Eli didn't mean to hurt you. He's just very skittish around strangers. He doesn't like to be touched by anyone until he's gotten to know them."

"He knows me. I've been around him plenty of times."

"But you've never really gotten to know him. Every time you've visited us at the cottage you just shooed him away. Give him time."

Though Charlotte was right about Eli being uncomfortable about strangers touching him, it had nothing to do with why he scratched the queen. It was for the same reason Raphael had growled, she had come too close to Charlotte for his liking. Cats and dogs could not speak but they had senses that far surpassed a human's and they could sense Desdemona's wicked feelings toward her stepdaughter. So they wouldn't let her get too close to the princess.

"I suppose the cat can stay with you Charlotte, provided you keep him in your chambers." Desdemona said composing herself. "But Vagatha, I must insist the dog stays in the kitchen."

"But Mother-"

"Think of the ball. All those people here, it'll drive him wild and he'll ruin the entire event."

"Well can he at least be allowed outside every few hours?"

"I have no problem with that but once inside, he's to stay in the kitchen."

"Yes Mother."

After that Vagatha reluctantly walked Raphael down to the kitchen and Charlotte continued on ahead to her chambers, her mind full of confusion and anxiety.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.3K 909 17
Once an Archangel, God's other Hand, and the favorite sister. But she was banished, cut off her dignity and pride, and reincarnated as a Mortal- a hu...
41.8K 587 18
After seeing Charlie's performance about the Happy Hotel on the news and how much bad criticism it got, Alastor decides to help out for a secret pric...
13.3K 248 20
This is Charlastor story. Everyone is a human but in castel demons just for you to know. If you aren't Charlastor fan then find another fanfiction. ...
2.3K 70 7
In the dark and twisted realm of Hell, where legends of sinners fade into whispers and shadows, emerges a tale of legacy and mystery. Y/N Grimrose, t...