A Grim Fairy Tale

By Emeraldlily16

For centuries their stories have held the world in their spell and conjured images that have haunted the imag... More

Description
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three

Chapter Twenty-Seven

47 2 0
By Emeraldlily16

Charlotte could barely control the rate of how her heart fluttered when she heard the messenger's words.

"After many years of bloodshed and sorrow." He read off of the scroll. "The crusades have at long last ended, with Germany and their allies being victorious. King Percival's arrival is expected to be within two days and her majesty the queen intends to hold a royal ball to celebrate his return. She has also invited the Princess Charlotte and the Princess Vagatha to once again call the palace their home."

Charlotte was overjoyed, Vagatha was uncertain what to think, and Dolores was suspicious.

"Do we have to go back to the palace?" Vagatha asked.

"It is what the queen has ordered." He answered. "You cannot defy her."

"What of me?" Dolores asked. "Am I permitted to accompany the girls?"

"Her majesty did not say. The royal coach shall come for you tomorrow afternoon. Please be ready." He then produced a letter. "Your highness this was addressed to you from the king."

He gave Charlotte the letter and bowed.

"I bid you all a good evening."

"Would you like to stay the night?" Dolores offered. "It is awfully late."

"No thank you my dear woman." He declined politely. "I must continue to inform other residents of these grand news."

He bowed again, the three women curtsied, and he left. 

"Oh isn't it wonderful? The war is finally over." Charlotte cheered. "Father is coming home at last." 

"I am relieved and grateful that my stepfather will return alive and unharmed." Vagatha said. "He is a good man and I know you've missed him terribly."

"You sound somewhat disappointed." 

"As I said I am happy that your father is coming back, and I am eager to see my mother but...Charlotte I don't want to go back to the castle or to the royal life. I don't really fit in with all that. I'd much prefer to stay here."

"I'm afraid your mother won't allow that." Dolores said. "If she wants you at the castle you'll have to go."

"But Granny you know how I feel about royalty." She argued.

"And you know how your mother feels when she doesn't get her way. It's what she wants and nothing else matters. There's no reasoning or compromising with her."

"Can't you talk to her?"

"Oh Vagatha, you know better than anyone that my words have never gotten through to your mother.  As far she's concerned I'm just a stupid old woman who's talking out of her head."

"Why is Desdemona so disrespectful toward you?" Charlotte said.

"Yeah Granny, for as long as I can remember you and Mother have never gotten along." Vagatha said. 

Dolores sighed.

"Well Vagatha, it's no secret that your grandfather was not a loving parent to your mother. For many years he treated her terribly and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't protect her from his abuse. It made her so angry and hate-filled, when your grandfather finally died she began taking out her anger and hate for him on anyone she did not fear. Mostly me."

"Oh Granny." Vagatha embraced her compassionately. "I never knew that. Oh how could Mother be so cruel to you?"

"Perhaps she is right to be. Perhaps I didn't try hard enough to protect her."

"I don't believe that Granny. I know that you would do anything in your power to protect the people you love. But what I don't understand is, why didn't you take Mother and leave Grandfather?"

"I tried to do that once but your grandfather had learned my secret."

"What secret?"

"For years Vagatha, our family has harbored a secret. One that must be kept always for each time a member of our family revealed this secret to the world, the world in turn had them burned to death. When your grandfather learned this secret he used it to blackmail me into staying with him. I couldn't risk anyone else finding out, because not only would I be destroyed but so would your mother and possibly my future granddaughters."

"What do you mean your future granddaughters?"

"This secret is passed down through the female bloodline. Only daughters can inherit it."

"Inherit what? What family secret?"

"A secret so precious and dangerous that for your own sake, I'll never tell you because I couldn't bear to see you effected by it as I was and as your mother was."

"Granny I can keep a secret. I'm very trustworthy and careful."

"I was trustworthy and careful too but still someone learned the secret and he used it to ruin my life and the life of my child, I'll not see it happen to my grandchild."

"But Grandfather is dead."

"Yet men like him still exist in this world and furthermore telling your mother our secret is what made her the woman she is today and that was a huge mistake."

"But Granny-"

"No more arguing on this. I know you don't like it when I keep things from you but please understand that I only do it for your own good and because I love you."

In her heart Vagatha knew that her grandmother's decision to keep something from her was out of love. Many good parents had good reason to keep things from their children. But the thing is, Vagatha wasn't a child anymore. She was a grown woman now and she had a right to know everything about her family. However she dwell no more on it for now. For now she had other things to worry about. Like how in the world was she going to adjust to living in a castle and wearing fancy clothes and going to big parties?

Charlotte on the other hand was giddy and light. When she opened the letter and read the printing inside, she could hear her father speaking the exact words.

My Dearest Charlotte,

There is nothing and no one I have thought of more these last twelve years. Though I know it was for the good of the kingdom that I join the battlefield, it was still agony to be apart from you for so long. Even more agonizing was not being there to watch you grow up, but I am certain that even without my guidance you have matured into the woman I had hoped for you to be.

I have missed you as I have missed your dearly departed mother and I lived in constant fear of leaving you in the same manner she left us. But that fear is no more for  the crusades have ended and I am alive, I am well, and on my way back to you my child. Yet you are no longer a small child but a young lady and I cannot wait to see how beautiful you've become. You are no doubt the fairest in all the lands just like your mother was.

I hope to have you back in my arms soon, my dove. Just wait a few days longer and never forget that while my physical form may be absent at times, my love is always with you as well as your mother's.

Sincerely your Father,

Who loves you above all others.

Charlotte pressed the letter to her heart as she pictured her father's smiling face in her mind. How she prayed for the day that she would be able to hear his gentle voice and to embrace him with all the love she held for him. Not much longer now and she was so excited that she set to work packing immediately. 

Unfortunately her sister wasn't the only one who had mixed feelings about these news. When Alastor learned of this the next day he wasn't too pleased. He acted happy for her but he didn't want her to go. He was afraid that if she left she'd never come back. Or worse, marry a prince like she always dreamed about when they were children. But ten times worse than that was what that stepmother might do to her. He was willing to bet his life that the woman was a witch, a wicked one, and a wicked with was not something to take lightly.

"I'm really happy for you Charlotte." He told her the next day. "But I'm not sure it's a good idea for you to be under the same roof as that woman. You and I both know she hates you."

"True." Charlotte said. "But I know my stepmother would never do me harm when my father is close by. She's always behaved as good as gold in front of him. I have nothing to fear about going home."

"But witches are very crafty my dear. She could do you harm and still be completely innocent in your father's eyes."

"Alastor how many times must I tell you, she's not a witch. My father would never marry a witch. He hates them."

"It wouldn't be that hard for him to be tricked into marrying a witch. It's happened to even the most observant and intelligent men."

"Alastor I appreciate your concern but there is nothing to worry about. I'll be perfectly safe. I promise."

"If you say so my dear. But does this mean..." He blushed a little. "Does this mean our friendship is over?"

"No. Of course not. What in the world gave you that idea?"

"Well royalty is full of rich and important people. They'd probably laugh if they knew the princess was associated with someone who looks like me."

"Then let them laugh." She smiled at him assuringly. "You're my best friend and you're just as dear to me as my father, Vagatha, and Dolores are. This isn't goodbye for good. I'll visit you as often as I can."

"Then I suppose I have nothing to be upset about."

"Exactly but can you do me a favor?"

"Anything."

"I'm worried that Dolores will be very lonely once Vagatha and I leave. Would you mind visiting her on occasion? Just to keep her company."

"Of course."

He gently took hold of her hands and placed a soft kiss on each. She blushed as he did. She would miss him very much and she really didn't want to leave him. But she had not seen her father since she was a little girl and she was a princess after all so she couldn't stay in this forest forever.

"Will you see me off this afternoon?" She asked.

"I wish I could but you know what the palace guards will do if they see me. They'll become frightened and probably shoot me on sight."

"You're right." She accepted. "I'll see you."

"You better." He smirked. "Because if you don't come back I'll simply go hunting for you."

She giggled, he giggled in return, and they reluctantly parted ways.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

289K 9.7K 35
Landing a rather unexpected stroke of luck by finding you, The Princess of Hell requests your aid for providing entertainment for her new passion pro...
2.3K 70 7
In the dark and twisted realm of Hell, where legends of sinners fade into whispers and shadows, emerges a tale of legacy and mystery. Y/N Grimrose, t...
60.6K 1.4K 31
At Charlie's Castle, Millie talks with her best friend about how Charlie managed to create the Happy Hotel with the help of someone close to her. Y...
1.5K 54 6
Huge and I mean HUGE differences from the other story this one is mine the opening is a bit similar, but the events and everything are different. The...