To Love A Myth - Book 2: Mr...

By strawberryichigo15

After four years of Merida Dunbrough serving Higgs Northumberly as his maid, it's quite clear to everyone tha... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49

41

37 5 0
By strawberryichigo15

"It's almost the end of October, I wonder what next you will be? I can't wait to see what you'll be-come; how fun and adventurous you'll be. Come out, come out, oh won't you please come out North-um-ber-ly. Come out, come out, I know that I wounded your knee."

Higgs made a face at her sick little song as well as the fact that yes, she had wounded him; but she hadn't caught him. He was hiding in the rafters at the moment, waiting for her to pass by underneath. He thought that getting out of her home was going to be just as easy as walking out the door but she proved him very, very wrong. He couldn't understand how a house had suddenly become a maze in a matter of hours. He thought he could outwit her but she was crazy and sometimes crazy is smart. Higgs' knee suddenly buckled from the pain and he held in a yell, trying to work through it and straighten it out. He suddenly realized it was very quiet and he gulped, looking down below him. Elizabeth was just watching him from the ground with a smug expression.

"Hello, poppet."

Before he could gather the strength to move, he felt something hit him in the stomach. His whole body seized and he fell to the ground like a brick. He knew he broke some ribs as he landed since he couldn't move his arms to try and brace himself. Elizabeth knelt next to him, the gun laying across her knees.

"That was fun, Mr. Higgs, although I expected better tactics from you since you're an intelligent being but you just did what every animal does when they are hunted. I honestly expected better from you. To keep it fun for me, I purposefully overlooked your hiding spots and teased you with bad shots, but overall, it seems you're not the fight back type. Oh well, I win anyway."

She giggled and Higgs felt his hopes shatter. It was getting close to the end of the month and no one seemed to be looking for him.

"Oh, and I'm sure you're wondering why no one's come to look for you, right? Well, you'll be happy to know that they tried but since I was able to tell them such a convincing story of innocence, no one's dared to bother me again. And that was, gosh, the day that I captured you. I honestly expected to be bombarded by different people after that but it looks like no one seems to care. Even that Scotswoman has only come by once." She sighed. "I'm telling you, she is a real liar, that one." Higgs managed to pull a growl from deep within, amusing Elizabeth. "Hohoho! Does that make you angry? Aw, how adorable..." He growled again and she smiled. "Riddle me this, dearie: if I recall, hasn't she told you what she is supposed to do to someone who hurts you? With her longwinded monologues, I'm sure she has. Then where is she? Where is your brave and diligent Scotswoman in your hour of need? Why hasn't she tried harder to fulfill her promises, hmm?" Elizabeth stood up and looked down at Higgs with a sympathetic look. "It's alright, my love, that just means that you'll be with me forever. Gretchen!"

Higgs flinched, not even realizing that Gretchen was actually still there.

"Yes, milady?" he heard her say above him.

"Help me drag him back to the cellar and fix that soup again."

"Yes, ma'am."

Gretchen? I thought she left? I know we weren't on the best of terms but even she tried to warn me about Elizabeth. If she knew she was like this, why in the hell would she allow herself to stay here after everything that's happened to me? Why would she be helping this maniac? Higgs moved his eyes to look at her and upon seeing her, he knew she wasn't mentally available. Her eyes were droopy and she looked lifeless, like a puppet. Her movements weren't fluid either; she moved like a stiff corpse. Plus, the werewolf in him could smell something different coming off of her, something most likely drugging her into submission.

They dragged him to the cellar and he felt like he was being put on the floor. He felt shackles being wrapped around his wrists but it burned.

"Thank you, Gretchen. Now, go make the soup." Gretchen left and Elizabeth turned to him. "You're going to love the soup. It's my own special blend, just for you."

She giggled and closed the door, leaving Higgs in the dark.

****************

Merida vomited harshly into the extra chamber pot, coughing and gagging afterward. Edgar pat her back softly and grabbed the pot to pour out it's contents. Merida flopped back into the bed, breathing quickly. She felt like the child inside her was trying to eject itself from her mouth.

"I sent a letter to Lord Graves to come and see you as soon as possible."

"I'm sure Boston has his own pregnant wife to deal with."

"Not him, his father."

"Oh... Has... have ye..."

"No, still not sign of him." He said, shaking his head.

"Damn it!" she screamed, hitting her fist in the bed.

"Merida, I've tried to look everywhere I possibly could and I've asked as many people as possible."

"I'm not blaming ye, lad! I'm just angry at everrathing! I'm so sick I cannae help look for him and I ken that bitch has him, but how can I find him when I can hardly leave my bed?"

"I'd rather you get better before you start looking for him again. Lord Northumberly is also looking for him when he has the time."

There was a knock at the door and Marlow stuck her head in.

"Lord Northumberly is here." She looked over at Merida. "I'll go make some peppermint tea."

"She needs food, Marlow. She hasn't eaten in days."

"Food is the least of my worries." Merida growled.

"Oh and tea will make it better?" Edgar snapped.

Tears started to well up in Merida's eyes and Edgar floundered for a moment.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings..."

"It's the bairn that's doing it. It messes with yer emotions something fierce." She said, sniffling to try and keep the tears at bay. "Ye ken it usually wouldnae even faze me, yeah?"

"Right."

There was another knock on the door and it opened a little."

"I thought I'd just let myself in since someone just left us at the door."

"I'm so sorry, Lord Northumberly." Marlow said, giving an apologetic curtsy.

"Laird Radek?"

"Hello, love." He said with a smile, walking over to her.

"Why are ye here? When Marlow said Laird Northumberly, I kenned she meant Laird Jamison."

"Well, we received a letter regarding Higgs from Fuchsia and as family, it's our duty to come and help. We also heard about you."

"Oh."

Radek grinned. "Welcome to the family."

"Yer brother said the same thing and as I told him, we havenae even married yet."

"Doesn't matter. You were a part of the family as soon as you stood up to me the first time we met. I knew a woman like you just couldn't possibly go to waste. Besides, you're the best thing to ever happen to this family. We were just waiting for Higgs to get his head out of his ass and realize it too."

"Aye..." she said, getting teary-eyed again.

"I'm sorry." He said as Edgar glared at him. "I didn't mean to make you upset."

"Tis the bairn and it's just... he finally got the courage to speak up about what he wanted and he was finally at peace with himself and then this happened."

"You just leave it us, Merida. We know you're in a more fragile state, so we will find him."

"You keep saying 'we' and 'us'. Who else is here?" Edgar asked.

"Um, well, let's see... there's Kans, Cat, me, father, distant cousin named Pixus, a relative of unknown descent named Harold, Cucklehorn, and Phaybl. And Frank."

"Who'se Frank?"

"Phaybl's husband."

"I thought his name was Francour?"

"It is, but we call him Frank."

"And yer father is here?"

"Crazy, right?'

The door opened and Catherine walked in with Kans behind her as he ducked down from the doorway to make room for his taller stature. He somehow squeezed into the room without getting himself stuck.

"Oh, Merida!" Catherine yelled, running over to hug her.

Merida smiled as she looked at Kans. "I'm honestly surprised that ye arenae pregnant either. I kenned for sure that ye would be."

"Well, the weddin' was a little late in July and Kans got very nervous. Then he had the Midas touch in August, he was a skeleton last month, and this month he's a centaur. None of those were uh, suitable times."

"I'm so sorry, Cathy..." he said, looking down at the floor.

"Never ya mind, ya silly thin'. We just have to find a suitable time or we will wait until next July. Ya've got me now and forever."

Kans still looked upset as he looked at Merida and smiled. "I knew he would come around eventually."

"Aye."

"We all came to help." Radek chimed in, throwing his arm over the part where the horse met Kans' torso. "Since our creatures are not even and are different to each person, we will be able to use the curse to our advantage this time. Heightened senses, transformations, and keener noses will help to move this along. We will do what we can to try and bring Higgs home."

"Ye're too kind. All of ye. Ye didnae have to come all the way here just to do this."

"It's ya that's so kind." Catherine said, holding her hand. "Ya've impacted most of our lives in one way or another and if it was anyone of us that was missin', ya'd be right there with Higgs searching for us. Ya're part of the family now, whether married or not, but Higgs is family."

"Besides, it wouldn't have mattered it was you or him. We still would have come." Kans said.

"That's right. If that crazy woman had taken you or even Edgar and you needed our help, we would come. It's what family is for." Radek said.

Merida smiled, unusually relieved to see everyone there by her side. She was so used to doing it by herself that she forgot what it felt like to have people genuinely want to help. It looks like I can't get to you myself, Mr. Higgs, but with your family here to help, I know we will find you. Hold out for a little longer...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.4K 1.1K 93
Hermione Granger didn't really expect to live through the war, or at least she hadn't planned for what would come after. Now that it was over, she ha...
7.8K 515 64
"Babe, I can smell your arousal for me," he says as he hovers over my lips and slowly moves his way down my neck. "Theo please...." I say, but it com...
96.2K 1.5K 15
#1 hiccupxreader Warning: LEMON, also, following this story will put you in major FEELS! I didn't change Hiccup or Toothless's personally btw:) summ...
46.3K 1.1K 25
"will you be my wife?".....I still remember that day. When I was just Rooming around Hogwarts, when the reunion happened, after studying all 8 years...