A Court of Love and Family

By mymymoon

Book 1 Luna, the second child of Feyre and Rhysand, has lived a life in secret. No one outside a handful of... More

A/N
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue

Chapter 14

82 2 0
By mymymoon

The training area was empty, leaving Luna to work alone in the early morning. Tirian had told Casnova that he needed a break from the attempts to free his mind from whatever curse that was placed upon it. That left Luna to find new things to do in the Day Court. She trained in the mornings, visited the town below the palace at lunch, and tried to figure out her feelings towards Tirian in the evenings.

After the argument the two of them had not really talked that much, just a friendly nod in the hallways, or in training. The second week in the Day Court moved to its end, and with that, the gala Helion had prepared.

"All to show you the true form of my court." He told her the day the invitation came. "Do you want me to invite your family?"

"No, I will be there as the only one representing the Night Court." Luna had said back and left the conversation.

She stopped her movements, hoping to catch her breath before continuing. The gala was this night, and once more she was nervous. This was the second time she was going to meet new people. The first time had ended in her being kidnapped and blinded. Nothing could be worse than that. The doors to the training hall opened, revealing Novak walking in.

"I believed you were in your chambers getting ready." He said and stopped. "The rest of the palace is doing just that."

"I needed to clear my head first." Luna said back and walked up to him.

"From what?"

"The fact that this is my first time attending anything near this grand." she sighed.

"If it helps, in my four hundred and twenty seven years, I always feel a bit misplaced at these types of events."

"Not sure how that helps, but thanks." The two fell into silence. Novak looking around the room, and Luna debating if she should leave now to get ready.

"I heard that Tirian have paused his training." Novak broke the silence. "Got tired of our charming Casnova?"

"More like he got tired of my endless hope." Luna shook her head. "I think I was blinded by the opportunity to make a difference in the world."

"I can see why, the legacy you carry is not an easy one. But at the same time, it is not like your brother has done anything to make a change yet." Novak tried to lighten the mood.

"He just walks in our fathers footsteps and knows his place in this world. I... Not long ago the world didn't know I existed." Luna started to walk, her mind heavy with thoughts.

"The world just doesn't know what to do with you yet! Give it some time first!" Novak called behind her as she left.

Her mother had told her stories of the other Courts, Nesta had taught her how to dance and move, Mor had educated her in etiquette. Luna knew how to navigate this, but to actually do it... She used to believe that she would have Kira and Evalyn at her side, that she would walk down stairs with confidence and a flashing smile. That she would not be scared or nervous. But she was.

She had been that first time, and she was now. A part of her regretted telling Helion to not invite anyone from her home. But who would have come?

Mor? No, she was keeping her distance to the High Lord. Cassian and Nesta? Luna started to laugh out loud at the thought of having a territorial mated male with an expecting mate at a gala like this, with the flirty High Lord Helion himself. More than one building would be taken down if that happened. Azriel? Not alone. Not when Gwyn was on a Mission. Her parents? Nyx? Kira? This was for the better. Her friend might have come if she asked her. But at the same time, Luna wanted to do this alone.

The gala dress was the one she had chosen not to wear that first night. The alternative version of the dress she had on during that first meeting back at the Night Court. But less scandalous, if she asked her brother. Luna started to get ready, washing herself after the morning training, preparing her hair, leaving the white strands free to frame her face. She lined her dark eye with kohl, and the light one with a lighter pigment, making both of them pop in their own unique way.

The dark blue eye, dark and mysterious, the light one, awake and alert. It was not often Luna took the time to study her own features, the markings on her skin, and how they made her hard to forget. Her hair and the way the white strands made others look twice. Lastly she put on the dress, just in time for whoever was going to escort her to the gala knocked on her door. Taking one last deep breath she opened her door, seeing Jacon standing there, and behind him. Tirian. He had also dressed up, but this time in more Day Court colours. Luna recognized the clothes from Kiras sketches for Night Court clothes in other Court's styles.

"Lady Luna." Jacon greeted her. "Tirian." He turned to Tirian, not that Luna cared. She only looked at the Darkbringer. They had not talked after he left the library, she had barely seen him since that day. But now, he was standing there, in front of her, and all she could do was to smile.

"Good to see you." She managed to say, holding her eyes on Tirian.

"Good to see you too." Tirian took her hand and she was back the day they walked around in the town. "I must say, that seamstress friend of yours can truly work magic."

"This way." Jacon begins to guide them back to the gala.

"I know, she is truly amazing." Luna said back, still focusing on Tirian. "I am still shocked that she managed to make like ten different outfits in like four days." She moved closer to Tirian.

"She must have started on some earlier." Tirian tried. "Is she coming tonight?" Luna shook her head.

"No..." The two sides of her, the one longing for her friends and family, and the one wanting to stand alone were fighting inside of her even more.

"I need to thank her when we travel back. Her clothes are amazing." He placed his hand on her arm. "Well, if we travel back."

"If?" Luna asked back.

"Well, I have been thinking, if we take a pause from trying to get this thing out of my head, would you like to travel to the other Courts? Maybe even outside of the island with me? You know, let us see the world for the first time together" Luna stopped mid step, thinking over the proposal. "You don't need to answer now. But think about it." Tirian started to walk again, but Luna stood still.

Travelling the Courts? She asked herself. Winter, summer maybe... Then she bit her tongue, remembering her family's different conflicts. Autumn was not an alternative, Spring even worse. But then there was Dawn... The place of Evalyns... Luna shook her head and started to walk again, catching up to the others soon after.

"I will think about it." She told Tirian just before they reached the great building with the gala hall.

"We are here. The High Lord will meet you in a moment before you walk in." Jacon told them and disappeared.

"Thank you." Tirian hugged her and Luna took in his scent. Rain and grass.

But not mate She accepted the fact that Tirian was not her mate, but she was still falling for him in some way.

"Ready?" Helion came walking towards them, pointing with his hand towards the doors. "Welcome to the Day Court."

The doors opened, and Luna could only gasp at the sight of the great hall. White and gold colours, in dazzling creations, dresses, suites, wrapped fabrics. It all seemed to glow in golden light, like the sun itself filled the room. Some were already dancing, others stood in smaller groups talking. Then they all stopped and turned towards them. Luna realised that she would not only stand out for her skin this evening, but the dark colours in her dress contrasted the others colours in the room.

"You know how to take all the attention." Helion said behind her. "Now, let us talk to some of my citizens." The three of them walked into the room, earning bows and raised glasses from everyone they passed. Just like Helion, all of the Day Court's citizens had dark skin. Many had their hair in braids, like Oleg. Many of the females had their hair sculptured in styles Luna had never seen before. She had shielded her mind better this time then last, keeping her from hearing what they were thinking of her. But her curiosity made her want to know.

Do they fear me? Do they envy me? Do they care at all? She looked around. All eyes followed her every move, even Tirian and Helions. This was not like that first time, when everyone had focused on Nyx and the joy of having the heir back. Now they all looked at her, daughter of the Night Court. She let her shields down for a moment, recognizing the voice of Diego thinking about her. She raised the shields again, feeling a stone land in her stomach.

"A drink?" Helion asked, offering her a glass of something bubbly and golden.

"Yes, thank you." Luna took the glass, thankful for having something in her hands to think of instead of what she had heard. "Quite an event."

"Your father isn't the only one who knows how to throw a party." Helion guided them around the hall, allowing her to meet Fae that worked as his guards and ministers, but also teachers, farmers, librarians. A fisherman and his wife. Some of his Lords and Ladies. Then she saw a group of familiar faces.

Viviane and Kallias had fur lined clothes in the lightest of blue, and with them stood a younger male that could only be their son, Isaac. The High Lord and Lady of Winter kept their distance to her, but still smiled.

"I must say that Nyx having a sister and never telling me felt like a betrayal. But seeing you now, I am willing to put those feelings aside." Isaac took her hand and placed an icy kiss on the back of it. "Isaac, oldest to Kallias and Viviane. Son of Winter.

"Luna, daughter of the Night Court." She took her hand back, once more holding the glass with both of them. "I hope you will get the chance to talk to my brother about it."

"I do hope so." Isaac nodded and turned back to his parents.

"I would like to apologise." Luna said without warning. "For my actions last time." The hurt face of Viviane, the anger from Kallias as they understood that she had invaded their privacy, not on purpose, but still. "I was not used or prepared to meet non Daemati." She bowed her head hoping to show her regret.

"We will consider it." Kallias said with a cold tone. "Now, let's enjoy this night without dwelling on the past." Luna could only hope that her words and actions at least had moved them all to forgive.

"I have talked to Mor." Viviane whispered towards Luna. "I can forgive you, but mostly due to Mor telling me some quite interesting baby-stories." Luna's cheeks turned red, but she smiled and nodded.

"Tarquin!" She heard Kallias call out and the High Lord of Summer walked up to them. And behind him Luna could recognize Thesean. The orange tunick gave his relation to the Dawn Court away. And behind him, his mate and Captain of the guard stood. His wings wrapped close to his body. Luna held her eyes on the High Lord and his mate, the two that should have protected Evalyn, the two that had the power to find her attacker...

"I have heard the rumours, but to see you is still a surprise." Thesean said and took her hand. "A daughter of the Night Court, born with moon markings."

"Is it only my appearance that surprises you?" She asked back, fighting the instinct to check his mental defences, to look for whoever hurt Evalyn.

"That is one thing, the other is that Rhysand let you leave his Court." Luna held her face neutral, hoping to hide her anger towards the High Lord. All they wanted was for him to help them find the guard that attacked Evalyn. But he had refused, telling them that the Night Court had no business to investigate his own guards.

If you only knew the consequences of that night. "My father has always had his own way of doing things."

"I know, I still question some of them."

"Now, let us just have a fun night..." Helion tried to ease the tension that had started to grow between the two, only to be stopped by a scream. Luna looked around, the same blond male that had shown up at the House of Wind was there, and this time he grabbed a female. Her dark textured hair disappeared and reaveland the copper locks that Luna knew all too well. The freckled face of Gwyn met her eyes in fear. Then the room turned dark.

_____

Gwyn is back... And then she is gone. What do you think will hapen now?

Vote, Comment, Share!!!! 

/Mymymoon 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.9K 1.9K 57
Follows story line of the ACOTAR series.... picks off right after ACOSF, so of course spoilers are meant to be said in this story. For people who hav...
595 17 13
It's been over 25 years since the events of ACOSF. Prythian is at peace, the members of the Inner Circle have settled down and all seems well. That...
5.4K 198 14
[SPINOFF/SEQUEL TO CURSEBREAKER AND FIREHEART/ SON OF NIGHT AND DAUGHTER OF STARS] Estelle Whitethorn Galathynius is many things, but first and forem...
22.3K 673 49
In the beginning and in the end, there is darkness; Nothing more. Kana Archeron has spent her entire life being hated. As Nesta's twin and being bor...