A Grim Fairy Tale

By Emeraldlily16

For centuries their stories have held the world in their spell and conjured images that have haunted the imag... More

Description
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three

Chapter Four

83 4 0
By Emeraldlily16

"Presenting Lady Desdemona and her daughter Vagatha." Announced the royal herald when the coach arrived at the castle gates.

Servants and palace guards gathered around the coach but at the front stood Percival and Charlotte. The king was most eager but his daughter was terribly anxious.

When the coach door opened, the king took his intended by the hand and assisted her in stepping out. The entire crowd was awed and left speechless by Desdemona's beauty. They never thought that there would be any woman as beautiful as the first queen but today they were proven wrong.

"Welcome my beloved." He said placing a kiss on to the hand held. "You look even more radiant than I remember."

"You are too kind my lord." She replied. 

"The trip was no hassle I trust?"

"None at all." She looked up upon the castle. "What a delightful abode my lord. It was more magnificent than I could have ever dreamed of."

"It is your home now my lady. A home for us to share with each other and our children."

Percival then made subtle usher for his daughter to come forward and greet his fiancé.

"Allow me to present the fairest jewel in my kingdom, my daughter Charlotte." He introduced. "Dearest this is Desdemona. My bride to be."

The woman and the girl both took a momenttosilently examine the other's appearance.

"Why is her skin brown?" The child asked.

"Charlotte!" Her father scolded. "That is not a very polite thing to say."

"I am not offended my love." Desdemona said. "She is only young and unfamiliar with people like me. I know she means no malice."

She flashed a smile at Charlotte.

"My skin differs from yours child because though I was born in this country, my mother and ancestors were not. They originated from a land quite far from here, a place called Romania. A beautiful place but one of great struggle. Years ago my mother traveled here in order to establish a better life for herself and her future family."

"Did she?" Charlotte asked.

"In a sense. For if she had never come here I would have never met your wonderful father or you. And I must say that I'm very pleased to finally meet you Charlotte." She turned back to Percival. "And speaking of a future family, I would now like for you all to meet my daughter Vagatha."

The young girl approached the king and princess, greeting them with a curtsy.

"I do believe that she is about the same age as your daughter Percival, so I am hopeful that they will be good friends and perhaps in time sisters."

"I couldn't agree more. Charlotte say hello to Vagatha."

Charlotte walked up to her future stepsister and grabbed the skirt of her dress to curtsy for her. But when she tipped downward, she accidentally stepped into a large puddle and splashed mud on to Vagatha.

"Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry!" She said immediately remorseful.

"Liar! You did that on purpose!" Vagatha snapped. "How dare you!"

"It was an accident! I-"

But Vagatha just took a handful of mud from that puddle and threw it right back at Charlotte. Charlotte retaliated by pushing Vagatha down into the puddle. Then Vagatha stood up and tackled Charlotte causing them both to fall into the puddle and muddy brawl to break out.

"Charlotte! Vagatha!" Their parents scolded.

The girls wrestled each other deeper into the mud and they did not stop until Niffty and another servant pulled them away from one another. Even still, Vagatha tried to break loose and go after the princess.

"Take them inside and get them cleaned up!" Percival ordered.

Niffty and the servants did as they were told. Both the young ladies were separated, bathed, dressed into clean clothes, and placed in their own rooms to wait for their parents to lecture them on their behavior.

"I am very disappointed in Charlotte." Her father told her. "What you did today is not how a young princess is meant to act."

"She started it." Charlotte argued.

"I do not care. A royal princess does not indulge herself in such juvenile mannerisms. When faced with insult and disrespect, a princess acts with grace and dignity by ignoring them. For she understands that ridicule is meaningless compared to other matters in her life." He explained to her. "And if your mother had seen your behavior today, she would have been very displeased."

"I'm surprised you still even think about Mama."

"Don't you dare speak in that tone to me, young lady. I am the king and your father. You will show me respect." He said sternly. "Now what's this about you doubting that I think of your mother?"

"You said that Mama was the love of your life. You said that you would never love any woman the way you loved Mama and that you never had any regrets about having me for a daughter. Do you still believe that?"

"Of course I do."

"Then why are you getting a new wife and daughter to replace us?"

Tears began to well up in the girl's eyes.

"Oh my little dove." His voice became softer and he took her into his arms, cradling her close to his heart. "Is that what you believe is going to happen tomorrow? That once I marry Desdemona. I'll forget all about you and your mother?"

"Yes." She wept on his shoulder.

"Charlotte that could never happen. Yes I am marrying another woman but your mother will always be in my heart. She was my first true love. I couldn't forget her even if I wanted to."

"And me? You couldn't forget me right?"

"God forbid, no. You're my child. My first born. My heir. I hold you high above everything else in my life. I love you."

"Then why marry again?"

"Because I don't want you to be lonely. My position as king will take me away from you sometimes and when that happens I want someone to be there for you."

"Niffty will be there for me."

"Niffty can't teach you. Desdemona is of humble birth but she posses the intelligence, wit, and etiquette of any noblewoman. She'll show you what it means to be a proper young lady, and her daughter will be an excellent play mate. You always wished to play with other children though you couldn't because that meant leaving the castle grounds which was unsafe. But now that will change now that you have a sister."

"But she doesn't like me."

"She's just having a difficult time adjusting the wedding, just like you are. In time you will learn to get along."

"What if we don't? What if she turns out to be the most awful girl in the world?"

Percival sighed and took both of Charlotte's tiny hands into his large ones.

"I know this will all take some getting used to and I know that it will not be easy but do try, try for me? Try to be loving to Desdemona and her daughter."

"I'll try."

"That's my little princess."

He smiled at Charlotte, she smiled back, then he took a moment to think and when an idea came to him, he left her room briefly to retrieve something. When he returned he held a small both in his hand.

"I was saving this for when you were older but I do believe now would be the right moment to give it to you." He said.

"Give me what Papa?"

"Well open it up and see."

Inside the box was a heart shaped pendent made from pure silver which hung from a string of pearls.

"I gave this to your mother on our wedding day, it was her favorite neck lace and before she ascended into heaven, she he told me that she wanted you to have it someday."

"It's beautiful Papa." Charlotte said.

"Let's see if it fits."

He carefully hooked it around her neck though it hung a little too far down.

"You'll grow into it eventually." Her father said. "But it's yours to keep."

"I'll keep it with me always Papa."

"I know you will." He said kissing her temple. "I know you will."

...

"How could you embarrass me like that Vagatha?" Desdemona said in a mortified tone. "You acted like a filthy peasant today, and in front of the king no less. Have you no shame girl? Or at least any consideration for me?"

"I'm sorry Mother." Vagatha said remorsefully.

"Sorry? Sorry changes nothing! Once again you've let that temper of yours get the better of you! I don't know how much longer I can tolerate it! Especially if it's cost us our one chance at getting out of our mediocre life."

"It wasn't so bad living in the forest with Granny."

"Not so bad? Vagatha have ever I told you what it was like for down there? When I was your age?"

"No."

"Well I had to work and wear rags all day and listen to your grandfather constantly tell me how worthless I was because I wasn't the son he always wanted. Always saying that I would never get anywhere in the world. Now Vagatha, did I ever do any of that to you?"

"No."

"Right. You're a lucky girl to have a mother who loves you the way I do. But how do you repay my love and devotion? By trying to ruin my only chance to prove my father wrong."

"That's not what I was trying to do."

"Well that's what you'll end up doing if you don't start listening to me and considering what I want. Otherwise I can just disregard you just as your grandfather disregarded me. Is that what you want?"

"No Mother."

"I thought not." She walked toward the door of the bedroom. "Now I want you to think long and hard about what you've done today."

She slammed the door and left Vagatha alone. The poor girl curled herself up on the bed and began to sob;

"Papa. Papa. Papa."

Over and over again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 29 6
When an overlord and the king can't help but find interest in a hidden gem. " I haven't been in heaven for along time, but with you it feels like I'm...
12.8K 447 29
{OLD & DISCONTINUED} (seriously guys, it's horribly old, cringe, not canon, etc. i appreciate the interest but please stop reading this. i only made...
37.4K 828 24
Jack was always a lonely guy. Ever since he was 6, he fended for himself in the living hell that was New York. He's now 21 and a mechanic for a small...
470K 8.3K 88
Y/n, our very first half human, half demon in this rare occurance, he doesn't remember much of about his past and must struggle to survive in this ne...