To Love A Myth - Book 2: Mr...

By strawberryichigo15

After four years of Merida Dunbrough serving Higgs Northumberly as his maid, it's quite clear to everyone tha... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49

23

44 6 0
By strawberryichigo15

a/n: there are lots of capitals in here - sorry

+++++++++++++++++

Merida tidied up the room where Emmeritt had been staying and met Edgar out in the hall as she carried the sheets.

"Blimey, lad, what are ye still doing up at this hour?"

"He's gone, isn't he?" he asked.

"Aye, lad, he's gone."

"Maybe he'll visit again one day."

"Considering where he is in time as well as how far away he is, we dinnae ken how many months it takes for him to do another cycle. Besides, with all of that other timeline mess, who's to say he will be able to visit us?"

"True."

"He did say we could write to him, though. Obviously he couldnae write back but maybe being able to write out any of yer issues and knowing for sure that someone is there who will understand ye will help ye not keep things bottled up so tight that ye explode. Help ye move on and the like."

"Yeah... but where would we even put them?"

"Ye leave that me, laddy."

"Ma, I don't want to go back to the school. Can I stay here?"

"Ye need to finish ye studies. Mr. Higgs pays a good sum to make ye an educated man."

"I never said I don't ever want to go back, I just... really need some time."

"For what?"

Edgar licked his lips as he tried to find the words to express himself properly. "The more I... The longer I'm away from everyone, the more I seem to fantasize. I can't get the way I feel about you and Mr. Higgs' relationship out of my head and Emmeritt said that maybe I'm causing my own grief by burying it with a fantasy that when I leave and come back, everything will be as I believe it should be. But when I come back, it's further and further from what I wish to happen and so... the more I fantasize about it, the more frustrated I become... So, maybe by allowing myself to be continuously exposed to the truth, I'll be able to overcome it instead of bury it."

"That's not a decision I can make, it's up to Mr. Higgs... I assume ye havenae spoken with him yet?"

Edgar shook his head. "No, I thought it would cause more problems if I mentioned it."

"Are ye trying avoid him?" Edgar didn't say anything. "Do ye have a grudge against him?" He said nothing again. "Lovey, ye cannae do that."

"I know; that's why I need to face these facts. They aren't going to change and I need to look that truth in the eye, so the speak, in order for me to be at peace."

"Wouldnae make ye more angry instead?"

"I don't know anymore..." he said, leaning onto her shoulder. "I just don't know what else to do! If I leave, even seeing what I see now, I'll just imagine that things will turn back on their own, the world will right this wrong. I know that's not how it works, but for some reason that's how I keep imagining it will be. Being here to see it will make me angry but... what else am I supposed to do, Ma!" Merida pulled him into a hug as he wrapped his arms around her, squeezing her tightly. "This feeling of utter sadness just won't let me go. I keep... I keep spiraling in all directions. I know it's not my fault but it feels that way every waking moment I see him with Lady Hinkley. I pushed him to her. I made him choose... It's silly and dumb but..."

"It's not silly not dumb. It's called regret." She let go and pushed him to look at him. "We need to talk together about what's to be done and what has been done. I ken Higgs is still asleep from the festivities. His phoenix form doesnae take will to alcohol and there was a lot of dancing."

"Does he have to be there?"

"Tis his money, child. Besides, he may have a solution to yer problem that we havenae thought of. Come now, we'll leave the washing for tomorrow. I'll get ye a treat and then its off to bed with ye."

He nodded and they went to the kitchen.

**********

The next morning, Merida knocked on Higgs' door and it opened slowly, a piece of paper coming out.

DULLAHAN

"Oh, alright. Thank ye for the warning." The door opened more and Higgs motioned for her to come in. "I need to speak with ye about Edgar."

WHAT IS IT?

"He wants to stay here instead of going back to the school."

WHY?

"I will have to let him explain. Ye need to speak with him."

WHY DO I NEED TO BE INVOLVED?

"An I recall, it isnae my money sending him to fancy school. An he isnae going back, then I would ken ye'd want to know the reasons. Besides, it's yer house."

OH. WELL, I CAN TRY, BUT IT WILL BE HARD TO SPEAK WITH HIM LIKE THIS. LAST TIME, I RECALL, HE PISSED HIS PANTS.

"He was a wee lad at the time. I will warn him but he doesnae have that long before he has to go back with Radek."

TELL HIM TO MEET ME IN MY OFFICE THEN.

"Ye alright? Ye seem agitated."

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MEET ELIZABETH LIKE THIS?

Merida smiled. "With ye head held high, of course."

GET. OUT. he wrote, holding up the paper and pointing to the door vehemently.

Merida looked over at his dismembered head and found it was a red color, the anger flowing across the room. In the four years Merida had known her employer, for her, the head jokes never got old.

****************

"Of course he's a Dullahan." Edgar said with a nervous laugh.

"So ye arenae going to speak with him?"

"How? That's the only creature he turns into that scares me out of my wits. Besides, can he even hear me? Will the head be there?"

"Aye, his head will be somewhere but he'll probably keep it hidden to save face." She smiled, remembering to keep that for later. "But ye dinnae have long to decide about talking to him. Radek is going to be going back soon and he will want to take ye along. Besides, dinnae ye ken it would be easier this way? Ye dinnae have to actually look at his face."

Edgar thought about it and Merida did have a point. "I guess."

"Then it's settled. Also, be aware he's in a mood."

"Now you tell me?"

"I mean because Elizabeth is supposed to come and he's a Dullahan so..."

"Oh..."

*************

Higgs drummed his fingers on the desk as Edgar finished explaining his issue. He had a fair point but it was tricky.

HOW LONG DO YOU NEED?

"The rest of the year? I'll retake it if I have to. I don't mind..."

ALTHOUGH I UNDERSTAND, THE PROBLEM LIES IN YORU ABILITY TO SIFT THROUGH YOUR EMOTIONS IN THE MOMENT. MAKING YOURSELF TRY TO LIKE ELIZABETH WON'T REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE, IT WILL MAKE YOU BITTER.

"That's why it's a bit awkward."

He drummed his fingers again. WHAT IF YOU STAYED WITH MY PARENTS INSTEAD OF HERE?

"What good will that do?" Merida asked.

HE'LL BE NEARBY BUT NOT CONSTANTLY BOMBARDED. HE'S ONLY A RIDE OR WALK AWAY AND MOTHER MAY BE KIND ENOUGH TO ALLOW A PRIVATE TUTOR. FATHER DOESN'T LIVE THERE, SO LESS LIVELY THINGS... EITHER WAY, HE WILL BE EXPOSED BUT NOT SO MUCH THAT IT BACKFIRES.

"Do ye ken that will do, lovey?" she said, turning to Edgar "When the Dullahan is over then mayhap ye can stay with us a few times."

"I think that might work." He stood up and gave a small bow to Higgs. "Thank you so much, Mr. Higgs! I-I'm sorry that I'm being a burden."

NOTHING OF THE SORT. GO TELL RADEK YOU'RE NOT GOING BACK TO SCHOOL AND I'LL WRITE A FORMAL EXCUSE. THEY CAN TAKE IT UP WITH ME... AND INFORM MY MOTHER I NEED TO SPEAK WITH HER SOON.

Edgar nodded and practically bounced out of the room in excitement. When he left Merida smiled.

"Thank ye, Mr. Higgs. I ken he's a burden-"

I MEANT WHAT I SAID. HE'S NOTHING OF THE SORT. HE'S BROUGHT YOU SO MUCH JOY AS WELL AS ME. I OWE HIM FOR MUCH.

"What could ye owe him for?"

NOTHING CAN REPAY HOW HE RETURNED YOU TO ME WHEN I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONE. WITHOUT HIM, I WOULD NOT HAVE YOU.

"Verra true. When do ye meet with Lady Hinkley again?"

SOON.

"Dinnae ye worry. I'll be right there serving tea. Believe me, the experience will be interesting. I'm sure it will... head in the right direction."

Higgs got up, his chair scooting back, as Merida ran to the door, laughing. Higgs clenched his fists. That woman will be the death of me!

*****************

True to Merida's prediction though, the luncheon that was scheduled was definitely interesting. Elizabeth just stared at Higgs' headless body for a long time as Merida casually prepared the tea table with biscuits and crumpets, scones and the like. It's a good thing we hid his head behind the plant or I fear she would have passed out. Merida said, glancing at said head. The kettle sounded off and Merida went to go get it but Elizabeth grabbed her arm.

"Please don't go."

"I have to get the tea. Soup is still heating up though."

"If you go then... how will I... converse?"

"He can hear ye quite fine. He just has to write ye for proper conversation."

"It's quite unnerving."

"Good thing we hid the head- Ow!" Merida growled, finding a tea cake on the floor.

She looked at Higgs as he gave her a thumbs down.

"What? It's literally a part of ye and its no worse than what's going to come at night."

I CAN TELL HER MYSELF. GET THE TEA. ►.◄

"Wheest, and ye were so afeart earlier..." He picked up a scone and she held up her hands. "Alright, alright... Let me get the tea."

Merida left as Elizabeth grabbed a scone of her own and added a dab of clotted cream. She nibbled at it for a moment.

"This is quite good."

SHE IS SCOTTISH, SO THIS IS A SPECIALTY.

"Indeed."

Merida came back with the tea and set it up. She saw the note that Higgs had written and rolled her eyes a little.

"Have a good luncheon, Lady Hinkley. The soup should be done soon and ye can move to the dining area an ye want."

"Thank you, Merida. You didn't have to make soup just for me."

"I didnae, it was happenchance ye came today." She could tell Higgs was staring at her even without the head. "I'll leave ye do it..."

She left and Elizabeth poured herself some tea. She put a dab of creamer in and stirred it around. Finally, she sat back and looked at Higgs again. He seemed agitated.

"So... a Dullahan... this is very unusual."

AND THE OTHERS ARE NORMAL?

"I meant... well... Merida is interesting. She just goes about like it's nothing to her. Her tenacity is amazing."

THIS FORM IS THE ONLY ONE SHE HAS EVER TRULY BEEN AFRAID OF.

"Merida? Afraid? That's almost as believable as a purple sky."

IT HAS TO DO WITH NIGHTFALL. THE DULLAHAN HAS A JOB, YOU SEE...

"She did mention something about all this when your servant boy was being chased by your uncle when he was a cu-sith. She mentioned it was equivalent to a Dullahan but with differing rules.

THEY ARE QUITE SIMILAR REGARDING THEIR PURPOSES BUT UNLIKE A CU-SITH, I ACTUALLY HAVE A LIST TO GO BY. UNLESS UNNECESSARILY PROVOKED, I DON'T GO AFTER OTHERS. He wrote, thinking of the first time he turned with Merida and she pissed him off so much that he came running back to set her straight.

"Well, that's good to know."

I MUST WARN YOU THAT MY FAMILY HAS SAID THAT THOSE WHO ARE CLOSE TO THE MEN OF OUR FAMILY WHO TURN INTO A DULLAHAN CAN HEAR WHEN I CALL THE NAMES AT NIGHT. IT CAN BE QUITE FRIGHTENING.

"What do you mean?"

THE DULLAHAN MUST CALL THE NAMES OF THOSE ABOUT TO DIE. HAVING A DEEP CONNECTION CAN SOMETIMES CAUSE THE OTHER PERSON TO HEAR THE NAMES.

"Oh..."

THAT BEING SAID, WOULD YOU LIKE TO STAY HERE FOR THE NIGHT?

Elizabeth coughed from choking on her tea and wiped her mouth with her napkin. "I beg your pardon?"

AS I SAID, HEARING THE NAMES IS QUITE FRIGHTENING. EVEN MERIDA WAS PUT OFF (AND STILL IS). IT'S OBVIOUS THAT YOU MEAN SOMETHING TO ME, OR THE NAGA WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN CURED. IT WOULD MAKE ME FEEL BETTER IF YOU WERE HERE.

"Merida has heard them?"

SHE IS MY CLOSEST FRIEND. BEFORE HER, FUCHSIA USED TO HEAR THEM. MY MOTHER HEARS THEM FROM MY FATHER, AND SO IT GOES.

"I see... Well then, yes, I think I may take up your offer."

I WILL LET MERIDA KNOW AND SHE WILL GET YOU TO A ROOM.

*******************

Edgar made a face as Merida prepared another spare bedroom.

"Why is she staying here?" he asked.

"Because Mr. Higgs asked her to."

"But why?"

"I kenned ye were trying to be better with all of this?"

"Well, I am... I mean... it's only Day 1, Merida." He said with a blush.

"Of course. And it's frightening the first time ye hear the voices. Best to have someone around."

"How do you know she'll hear the voices?"

"She's already broken a curse, so it's safe to assume she will most likely her the names."

"Is it only one person per Dullahan?"

"Mr. Higgs mentioned that Mrs. Fuchsia used to hear the voice as well. Do you think she still hears them?"

"I dinnae ken it. Ye can sleep next to me tonight an ye need to."

"I- I'm not a kid anymore! I'll just lock the door..."

She chuckled as Higgs walked in.

ALMOST READY?

"Yes."

He gave a thumbs up and walked out. Edgar shivered, not realizing he had tensed up when Higgs was there. Merida pat his shoulder, leading him out of the spare room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 514 64
"Babe, I can smell your arousal for me," he says as he hovers over my lips and slowly moves his way down my neck. "Theo please...." I say, but it com...
36.2K 1.1K 93
Hermione Granger didn't really expect to live through the war, or at least she hadn't planned for what would come after. Now that it was over, she ha...
155K 3K 83
"Who would have thought, that I would have fallen in love with a Potter." "And I, a Malfoy." ***** You, Anastasia May Potter, and your family are ri...
81.5K 1.6K 115
"Not one for emotion Evens...but I could give a good fuck" he whispered into my ear as my heart pounded Hope has always had a rough life but ever si...