The Forgotten Princess (Sokka...

By Deadlocked21

Over 100 years ago, Azulon's younger sister, Princess Azami, disappeared while on a trip to visit the Earth K... More

Prologue
i. I
i. II
i. III
i. IV
i. V
i. VI
i. VII
i. VIII
i. IX
i. X
i. XI
i. XII
i. XIII
i. XV
i. XVI
i. XVII
i. XVIII
i. XIX
i. XX
i. XXI
i. XXII
i. XXIII
i. XXIV
i. XXV
i. XXVI
A/N - Fic update, Book II
ii. I
ii. II
ii. III
ii. IV
ii. V
ii. VI
ii. VII
ii. VIII
ii. IX
ii. X
ii. XI
ii. XII
ii. XIII
ii. XIV
ii. XV
ii. XVI
Quick update/AN

i. XIV

3.6K 131 181
By Deadlocked21

A/N; alright time for the guy with horrid eyebrows let's get into it (I mean seriously look at this dude I'd rather have a unibrow than that XD)

Azami P.o.V.

The gaang was currently sitting around in the middle of a forest, taking a quick rest before they continued their journey.

"Where's Momo?" Aang suddenly asked. Looking around, Azami noticed that the lemur was nowhere in sight. The group decided that they should go looking for him, and before long they found him trapped in a metal cage hanging from a tree. 

"Hang on, Momo!" Aang quickly leaped up with his airbending, sitting on a tree branch before he leaned over, lowering the cage to the ground. They quickly opened it, letting the poor creature out, and he immediately raced out eating a berry, as if nothing had happened.

There were a few other creatures trapped in the cages as well, and Aang being the sympathetic lifesaver he is, he leaped back up trying to free them. Spirits, we'll be here until dusk, Azami groaned. Aang was moving at an absolute snailsloth's pace.

Fortunately, Sokka seemed to be thinking the same thing as her. "This is gonna take forever," Sokka muttered, before he quickly threw his boomerang at the cables holding up the cages, dropping them all. The animals quickly ran off as soon as they were free, and Sokka went to go examine the traps.

"These are Fire Nation traps," he said in a low voice. "You can tell from the metalwork. We'd better pack up camp and get moving." For once, the gaang was in complete agreement and they made their way back to Appa.

As they were loading their supplies onto Appa, Sokka seemed to decide that he wanted to make life miserable for them. "Uh-uh, no flying this time."

Aang seemed shocked. "What? Why wouldn't we fly?"

"Think about it," Sokka reasoned. "Somehow Prince Zuko and the Fire Nation keep finding us. It's because they spot Appa, he's just too noticeable!"

Katara scoffed at him. "What? Appa's not too noticeable."

Azami sighed, knowing he had a point. It was dangerous to inflate Sokka's ego, but in this instance she had to for their safety. "Look, guys, he may be right on this. Appa's the only flying bison in the world, he's kinda hard to miss."

"Exactly!" Sokka exclaimed. "You really expect anyone to not notice a gigantic monster with an arrow on his head?"

Appa groaned at him, seeming upset. "Sokka's just jealous cause he doesn't have an arrow," Aang reasoned.

Sokka seemed to be persistent on this. "Look, I know you all wanna fly, but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk."

"Who made you the boss?" Katara leered at him.

Sokka pointed at himself. "I'm not the boss, I'm the leader."

"You're the leader?" Katara laughed at him. "But your voice still cracks!"

"I'm the oldest, and I'm a warrior! So," and here Sokka lowered his voice, as if it would change anything, causing Azami to laugh at him. "I'm the leader."

"Uh, Sokka, you do know I'm a hundred and fourteen years old, right?" Azami smirked. "I think I got you beat as the oldest."

"Besides," Katara continued, "if anyone's the leader, it's Aang. I mean he is the Avatar."

"Are you kidding? He's just a goofy kid!" Sokka whined.

They all looked over to see Aang hanging upside down from one of Aang's horns. "He's right," Aang admitted.

"Why do boys always think someone has to be the leader?" Katara complained. "I bet you wouldn't be so bossy if you kissed a girl." Azami giggled, covering her mouth with her hand.

"I've kissed a girl! You just haven't met her!" Sokka protested.

Katara smirked. "Who, Azami? I've met Azami."

Immediately, Azami and Sokka's faces both turned beet red, and they immediately moved away from each other. "NO!" Azami shrieked, while Sokka seemed unable to string together any coherent words.

Katara laughed at the two for a while, before Sokka finally seemed to get a hold of himself and cleared his throat loudly. "Look, my instincts tell me we have a better chance of slipping through on foot, and a leader has to trust his instincts."

Crossing her arms, Katara just rolled her eyes. "Okay, we'll try it your way, oh wise leader," she mocked.

"Who knows?" Aang asked, walking over to them. "Walking might be fun."

A little over five minutes later, and the gaang was already complaining. Honestly, Azami was surprised they'd lasted that long as it is. They really were spoiled by Appa.

"Walking stinks," Aang groaned. "How do people go anywhere without a flying bison?"

"I don't know, Aang," Katara muttered loudly. "Why don't you ask Sokka's instincts? They seem to know everything."

"Ha ha, very funny," Sokka snapped. Azami wasn't sure whether to groan or to laugh, but either way she expected this walking idea to last about another two minutes tops before Aang gave out on them.

Apparently, Aang had a lot more complaining left in him. "I'm tired of carrying this pack."

"You know who you should ask to carry it for a while?" Katara smirked. "Sokka's instincts!"

Aang's face seemed to light up, and Azami had to bite her tongue to keep herself from laughing at Sokka's unamused expression. "That's a great idea!" Aang exclaimed. "Hey, Sokka's instincts, would you mind-"

Sokka groaned. "Okay, okay, I get it! Look guys, I'm tired too, but the important thing is that we're safe from the Fire... Nation..."

Conveniently, Sokka had chosen that exact moment to pull at a bush and reveal a camp full of Fire Nation soldiers. "Well done, Sokka!" Azami smirked at him. "You were right, we are now completely safe from the Fire Nation."

Sokka glared at her, but he didn't have time for a comeback as the soldiers were already getting to their feet. "Run!" he yelled. The gaang got maybe 2 feet before the bush behind them was lit aflame, along with Sokka's shirt, which Aang was so kind to point out. Sokka swatted at it, nearly burning himself, before Azami rolled her eyes and quickly put her hand on his shirt, absorbing the flame. Fortunately, the soldiers didn't seem to catch her firebending.

Within seconds, the gaang was surrounded by the soldiers, their backs pressed against the burning bush behind them. While Azami could easily put it out in a few seconds, she had a nagging sensation to avoid using any more bending, so they all got into their fighting stances. 

"If you let us pass, we promise not to hurt you," Sokka yelled at them. Really, Azami thought. You actually think bluffing will get us out of this?

The soldiers just scoffed at him. "You, promise not to hurt us?" Before the soldier could say anything more, he suddenly slumped over, his body limp.

"Nice work, Sokka!" Aang cheered. "How'd you do that?"

Sokka seemed baffled by the sudden turn of events. "Uh... instincts?"

"Look!" Katara yelled, pointing up at the trees. Glancing up, Azami saw a teenage boy around Sokka's age swing down on two hooked swords, before landing on two soldiers, collapsing them both. He ran forward quickly, catching the legs of two more soldiers, and flipped them.

"Down you go," the boy smirked. He quickly fought off another soldier, before the whole place turned to chaos, the soldiers being ambushed. "They're in the trees!" one soldier cried, but it did nothing - within a few seconds, most of the soldiers were disarmed. Using the water in her pouch, Katara fought off one soldier while Aang used his airbending to deal with another.

Feeling unsure about the newcomers, Azami decided to stick to nonbending combat, quickly rushing at a soldier. He swung at her, but she ducked underneath his swing, sliding towards him. She kicked out with her leg, knocking the soldier off his feet and picked up a fallen sword. She quickly rushed to slam the flat of the blade into the soldier's head just as he was getting up, knocking him unconscious.

She turned to face another soldier, sword in hand, only for a giant man with a log to smash him into the ground. Azami lowered her sword, looking around as she realized the battle was already over, the new boy standing next to Katara. Walking over to them, she instantly decided that there was something off about the way he looked at her, as if he was looking at another threat.

Before either had the chance to say anything though, Aang walked up to the boy, stunned. "You just took out a whole army almost single-handed!"

"Army?" Sokka scoffed. "There were only like twenty guys!"

The boy grinned at them. "My name is Jet, and these are my freedom fighters. Sneers, Longshot, Smellerbee, the Duke, and Pipsqueak." He pointed to each individual, and as Aang went to mock the youngest child for being named Pipsqueak, the large man with the log revealed himself to be Pipsqueak. Gotta admit, that's pretty funny, Azami thought to herself, smiling a little at their interaction.

After a while of gathering supplies, the gaang started following Jet back to his hideout. He'd mostly been talking to Katara, as the girl seemed infatuated with him, but he dropped back to talk to Azami for a moment. "You know, that was some pretty impressive fighting back there," he said in a charming voice. "Where'd you pick it up?"

Azami was having none of it. She'd play along for now, but her instincts were screaming at her not to trust the guy. "I've been fighting the Fire Nation for a long time now," she muttered. "You pick stuff up along the way."

"So I see," Jet noted, looking at her arm. "That's quite the scar."

"Long story. Lightning bender tried to shoot me, I got lucky," she snapped, not liking the feeling that she was being interrogated.

"What's your name, princess?" he smirked.

Azami immediately tensed. If this guy's attitude towards the Fire Nation soldiers was anything to go off of, she did not want him figuring out who she was at all. She hoped he was only using princess as a condescending pet name, and decided to play it off as such. "Alright first off, call me princess one more time and I'll break your arm," she threatened. "And the name's June."

"June, huh?" Jet said, and there was something off in his eyes. "I'll keep that in mind. Anyways, looks like we're here

Azami glanced forwards, seeing only one measly rope hanging in front of them. "Hey, Sokka," Jet called out to the teenager. "Hold this."

He handed Sokka the rope, and just as he started questioning it he screamed as the rope dragged him up into the forest canopy. He offered one to Aang, who declined and jumped up on his own. "How about you, princess?" Jet asked, smirking over at Azami as he held out his hand for her to grab.

She angrily snatched the rope from him. "I'll go alone, thanks," she spat.

The rope tugged at her grip, and she found herself racing up into a hidden fort up in the treetops. Within seconds she had already seen Aang sliding down a zipline, shaking her head at his silliness before heading over to join Sokka. Once Jet had come up with Katara, they all started walking through the hideout, Jet explaining how he and his Freedom Fighters were helping to fight the Fire Nation.

"That's so brave," Katara said in awe.

Sokka scoffed. "Yeah, nothing's braver than a guy in a treehouse." Azami held her hand up to her mouth to try and cover her chuckle, she agreed with Sokka wholeheartedly on this. Everything about Jet was giving her bad vibes, and she wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"Don't pay any attention to them," Katara said to Jet as she glared at the two. Azami huffed, growing worried that Katara's little crush would keep them here longer than she'd like. Dragging Sokka away from the group, they went to explore on their own without the others.

"We need to get out of here," Azami whispered to him. "I don't trust that Jet guy. At all."

"Look, he's invited us to have dinner," Sokka reasoned. "Let's see how it goes, and then we can leave immediately after, ok?"

She huffed in annoyance, crossing her arms as she looked away from him before finally nodding her head slightly in response. So within a few hours, the sun was setting and the gaang found themselves joining Jet and his Freedom Fighters at their table.

"Today, we struck another blow against the Fire Nation swine," Jet began giving his speech, raising his cup, and the kids cheered. "I got a special joy from the look on one soldier's face when the Duke dropped down on his helmet and rode him like a wild hog monkey."

The group cheered as the Duke proudly climbed up on the table, but Azami and Sokka both kept their arms crossed, scowling. "Now, the Fire Nation thinks they don't have to worry about a couple of kids hiding in the trees," Jet continued. "Maybe they're right. Or maybe... they're deead wrong."

Azami's eyes widened in fear as she saw the dangerous look that crept onto Jet's face, and that's when she knew for sure - she wasn't safe here. She looked over at Sokka for reassurance, but he seemed a little more preoccupied with his wounded pride than any actual danger. 

"Hey, Jet," Katara smiled at him as he sat down next to her. "Nice speech."

"Thanks," he replied. "By the way, I was really impressed with you and Aang. That was some great bending I saw out there today."

"Well, he's great," she sighed. "He's the Avatar." Spirits, we really need to make her stop doing that, Azami thought to herself. Maybe this was why they kept getting found - because they kept telling everyone who they were. "I could use some more training," Katara continued, blushing.

"Avatar, huh? Very nice," Jet said slyly. "Say, I might know a way you two can help in our struggle."

Azami elbowed Sokka, but he was already standing up anyways. "Unfortunately, we have to leave tonight," he insisted.

"Yeah, we've got to get going as soon as we can," Azami added, standing up to follow the water tribe boy.

"Sokka, June, you two are kidding, right?" Jet complained. "I needed you two on an important mission tomorrow." Azami looked up at Sokka, begging him with her eyes to say no, but she was disappointed.

He turned around to face Jet, a skeptical look on his features. "What mission?"

~timeskippppppppp~

The following day, the two had set out with Jet on his mission, which turned out to be ambushing a Fire Nation assassin. Or so they thought. Just before they were about to attack, Sokka called out for them to stop. "Wait! False alarm, he's just an old man!"

Jet ignored him and jumped down right in front of the man, startling him. "What are you doing in our forest, you leech?" he yelled. 

The old man begged for mercy, but Jet swept the man's cane away from him and he collapsed. "Does the Fire Nation let people go?" Jet insisted. "Does the Fire Nation have mercy?"

Azami raced over to grab Jet's leg as he raised it to kick the old man. "Jet, that's enough!" she yelled at him. "He's just an old man!"

"He's Fire Nation!" Jet growled at her. "Search him!"

Sokka looked horrified by the interaction. "Jet, stop! He isn't hurting anyone!"

Jet rounded on him. "Have you forgotten that the Fire Nation killed your mother?" he snapped. "Remember why you fight!"

"We've got his stuff, Jet!" Smellerbee called out.

Sokka's expression turned sad. "This doesn't feel right," he muttered.

Jet shook his head. "It's what had to be done. Now let's get out of here."

He went to leave, but Sokka and Azami both remained where they were, unable to process what had just happened. "June, Sokka, come on!" Jet snapped as he walked away.

The two looked down at the old man that had just been assaulted, before glancing at each other, their faces horrified. They quickly helped him up and handed him his cane, before offering a quick apology and racing after Jet.

"We have to leave, Sokka," Azami whispered to him as they ran. "Call me selfish but I much prefer myself alive and uninjured."

"You were right," he whispered back, a look of guilt on his features. "I should've listened to you before. Jet's a monster."

The two quickly ran to find Katara and Aang as soon as they returned, finding them both in the room they'd been staying in. Aang was messing around with Momo while Katara seemed to be weaving something. "Oh, hey guys! Is Jet back?" Katara asked hopefully.

"Yes, but we're leaving," Sokka snapped.

"What?" Aang gasped.

"But I made him this hat," Katara complained, showing us what she'd been working on.

"Your boyfriend Jet's a thug, Katara," Azami explained, and the waterbender's eyes grew wide in shock and anger. "He beat and robbed a harmless old man!"

Katara crossed her arms, clearly irritated. "I want to hear Jet's side of the story."

They confronted Jet, and he had the nerve to act innocent. "Sokka, June, you two told them what happened but you didn't mention that the guy was Fire Nation?"

"No," Katara muttered, glaring at them. "They conveniently left that part out."

Azami's lip curled. Apparently, they were back to every firebender being a monster. "Fine, he was Fire Nation!" she yelled, exasperated. "But it doesn't matter, he was a harmless civilian!"

"He was an assassin, June," Jet said softly as he pulled out a knife. "See? There's even a compartment for poison in the knife. He was sent to eliminate me, and you two helped save my life."

"I knew there was an explanation," Katara sighed in satisfaction, but Azami's eyes narrowed. The knife wasn't any Fire Nation design she'd ever seen before.

Sokka wasn't buying it either. "I didn't see any knife!"

"He was concealing it," Jet explained.

Katara crossed her arms, glaring at her brother. "You guys finally see it? You must have just missed the knife, or didn't notice it."

"There was no knife!" Azami insisted. "We're going back to the hut to pack up." She and Sokka both stormed out. "I can't believe they're buying into this!" she cried.

"I know," Sokka muttered angrily. "The sooner we get out of here the better." They started to pack, but before they could finish Katara and Aang ran into the hut behind them.

"We can't leave with the Fire Nation about to burn down a forest!" Katara yelled at them.

Sokka stood up, facing them. "I'm sorry, Katara. Jet's very smooth, but we can't trust him."

"You know what I think?" Katara snapped at him. "I think you're jealous that he's a better warrior and leader than you!"

"Katara, I'm not jealous!" Sokka insisted, before he lowered to a whisper. "Jet's dangerous, and I'm worried about Azami's safety, if Jet finds out who she is he'll kill her."

"Yeah right," Katara scoffed. "Jet's been nice to her this entire time."

"You weren't there, Katara," Azami whispered to her. "Jet made it very clear that he attacked the old man because he was Fire Nation. No other reason, just that. Katara, if you ever thought your life was in danger, you know we would help you. Is it really that much to ask the same?" 

Admittedly, she was pleading and trying to pull a guilt card, but Azami was desperate to get away from Jet. Sadly, Katara just shook her head before looking back at her brother. "You were so adamant about your instincts yesterday? Well, my instincts tell me we need to stay here a little longer and help Jet. Come on Aang."

Aang seemed confused for a moment, before he followed Katara like a lost puppy. "Sorry guys."

*slight abuse trigger warning*

Night soon fell, and it turned out the gaang would be staying another night, despite Sokka and Azami's protests. She couldn't believe Katara actually put a crush first, before her brother and her friend's safety, but she had, and there was no way around it. She quickly fell asleep, but woke within only an hour or two from a nightmare.

Azami tossed and turned, trying to fall asleep, but the events of the day kept coming back to her. She knew the Fire Nation was evil now, but the old man had been harmless. He didn't deserve Jet's cruelty.

She sighed, realizing she wasn't going to get anymore sleep, and got up. As she headed out onto the balcony, she saw Jet sitting there, staring at the moon. "Hey June," he muttered, looking over at her.

Immediately, she put her guard up, not trusting Jet one bit. "Come and take a walk with me? There's something I want to show you," Jet asked her.

She was wary of him, but whether it was because of her sleep-deprived state or because she wanted to believe nothing was wrong, she agreed. The two set off, lowering themselves to the forest floor and walking a ways away from the camp.

Jet glanced over at her, watching her closely. "I must admit, June, that scar really is impressive. Remind me again how you managed to survive the lightning of an ash maker?"

She stiffened slightly as they continued their walk. "Oh... it's a long story," she lied. "I won't bore you with details, but I was trying to escape imprisonment, and one of them shot at me. He actually hit my shoulder, you see, and it chained all the way down my arm." Shit, she thought to herself. Even Aang could see through that.

"You know June, I've learned a lot about the Fire Nation over the years," Jet said. Azami immediately tensed, not liking where this was headed. "They're all vicious, bloodthirsty monsters... and surprisingly easy to predict."

Without warning, a massive log crushed right into Azami's chest, sending her flying backwards. As soon as she landed, she could immediately tell her ribs were broken by the impact, her chest heaving in pain as she struggled to take in a breath. Rolling over, she quickly spat out the blood in her mouth, trying to get back on her feet.

Before she got the chance, she felt Jet's boot push on her back, aggravating the break even more as she gasped. Reaching over, he grabbed a fistful of her hair and yanked backwards, placing the blade of a knife under her neck. "Don't worry, Princess Azami," Jet purred in her ear. "This'll be over soon. And I intend to enjoy every minute of it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 233 15
Long ago, the four Nations lived together in harmony. Then the Fire Nation attacked. The world was about to change forever and for the airbenders, th...
4.9K 178 29
"You love him, don't you? I see the way you look at him. It's like he's your whole world. I can't possibly blame you for falling in love with someone...
158K 5.1K 19
This is an Avatar : The Last Airbender fanfic in which my OC, Madelyn Grace Langston (or Maddy) is integrated into the story without changing the plo...
1M 30.9K 50
(Y/n) has had a hard life. Her mother was killed, father went to war, and had to protect her twin brother and little sister Sokka and Katara for as l...