i. XVIII

A/N; Ty guys for the feedback on my previous update, it really did help me with writing this :)

Sorry it took so long, remaining chapters until the end of book one should come more frequently.

Zhao P.o.V.

"Absolutely not. The Yu Yan archers stay here. Your request is denied, Commander Zhao."

"Colonel Shinu, please reconsider. Their precision is legendary. The Yu Yan can pin a fly to a tree from a hundred yards away without killing them. You're wasting their talents using them as mere security guards."

Zhao was growing increasingly frustrated with the Colonel. He had some of the greatest warriors in history under his command, and they were being used as guard dogs. The things he could put them towards...

Shinu glared at Zhao. "I can do whatever I want with their talents," he snapped. "They're my archers, and what I say goes."

"But my search for the Avatar is-"

"Is nothing but a vanity project!" Shinu yelled at him. "We're fighting a real war here, and I need every man I've got, Commander."

"But-"

"That's final! I don't want to hear another word about it," he ordered. "And don't even pretend like you care one whit about the safety of our missing princess, you just want to use her to earn favor with the Firelord. The rest of us have recognized her as the traitor she is."

Zhao snarled but held his silence, knowing he was in no position to argue. As if on cue, a messenger hawk cawed from nearby. It flew in, giving a message to Shinu. He read it quickly, and jumped, startled by the news.

Zhao's eyes widened as he saw the insignia on the back of the letter. "News from Firelord Ozai?" he questioned, taking the letter to read it himself.

Commander Zhao,

You are hereby promoted to Admiral. With the return of the Fire Nation's greatest threat, whom we have hunted for the past century, I am granting you full authority to ensure his successful capture.

Zhao smirked. "It appears I've been promoted to Admiral."

He returned his gaze to the letter.

In my last command to you, I requested that you grant an offer for the Princess Azami to return home. According to your report and that of the sages, she denied this offer and is actively assisting the Avatar. Therefore, she has now been labeled as a traitor to the nation. See to it that she is dealt with as such.

Firelord Ozai

Zhao grinned upon reading the letter. He - the great Zhao - had been entrusted with the Firelord's highest command. "Colonel Shinu," he called out to the other man. "My request is now an order."

Azami P.o.V.

It had been only a few days since the storm, and after having waited for the better part of a month, Azami was finally able to start moving around freely again. She wasn't completely back to normal, but as long as she didn't push it too hard or get hit, she was mostly fine. 

Conveniently enough, this happened to be the exact moment Sokka decided to get sick, so she ended up switching between patient and caretaker overnight.

The gaang were huddled in an ancient ruin, with Katara and Sokka both leaning against Appa. Sokka was huddled up in his sleeping bag and coughing as Katara rubbed a damp cloth over his head. "This should bring your fever down," she said soothingly.