Prologue

"Are you sure about this? There's signs of a storm brewing, and I'm worried about your safety. You know you can put off this visit until after it passes."

"Stop worrying so much, Azulon! For Agni's sake, I'm fourteen, not three, you can stop babying me. Besides, you know why I have to. If I want to visit the Southern Temple and still arrive in time for the meeting, I can't wait. It's been ages since I got to actually go out and see some friends, it's not like there's anyone else in the Palace my age and everyone in the Fire Nation has to treat me differently."

The young princess huffed, frustrated with her older brother. She knew he was only worried about her safety, but she was getting tired of his constant fussing. This wasn't her first political trip, and she highly doubted it would be her last, but it was also the only chance she'd had in months to go visit her friends. As for the storm; she had seen worse storms before. This would be nothing for them.

"...yes, believe me, I understand." the prince sighed. He'd been raised from birth to be the next Firelord, meaning he'd had very little time to actually have anything resembling a social life. Azami was lucky - there was little to no possibility of her ever taking the throne, so she'd been afforded far more freedom than him, though it had been reduced the past few years.

"Well, if you're going to visit the Southern Temple, then I guess it makes sense for you to leave now, storm or no storm. Do me a favor and try NOT to die at sea? That would really suck, there'd be no one left who gets my jokes" he teased, trying to ignore the uneasy feeling in his stomach.

She scoffed, "Maybe if you learned how to make a joke that doesn't start with how many different people walk into a bar, people would actually laugh. In any event though, I'm off. See you in... what, two weeks? Maybe three? Do say bye to father for me."

He pouted, pretending to be offended before pulling his sister into a hug. She sighed, before relenting and smiling into his embrace. Before he knew it, he was watching her ship set sail, trying to quell his doubts. His head told him she would probably be alright, they had both been at sea during a storm before, but his gut told him that something would go wrong. He didn't voice those concerns, though, and simply smiled sadly as her ship sailed past the horizon.

He didn't know then how much he would regret his decision. He didn't know that he was seeing his beloved sister for the last time.