i. IX

Quick A/N; is it just me or does going from VIII to IX fill anyone else with a strange sense of satisfaction? Idk maybe I'm just weird lol anyways Bumi time (lok reference btw :3)

Katara P.o.V.

"The Earth Kingdom city of Omsahu!" Aang exclaimed.

The group had been walking up a hill behind the airbender, and as soon as they could see over it they all gasped at the sight before them. Across a massive canyon was a giant city built on top of a mountain, with a lone winding path leading up to it. Katara had assumed the Air Temple would be the largest human settlement she had ever seen, but Omashu put the temple to shame.

The city was composed of a massive wall surrounding it, with four different peaks inside the city, houses built all the way up the sides. "I used to come here to visit my friend, Bumi," Aang continued.

"Wow," Katara breathed, her eyes wide. "We don't have cities like this in the South Pole."

Sokka seemed just as stunned. "They have buildings here that don't melt."

Aang turned around to face them, a grin on his face. "Well, let's go slowpokes! The real fun is inside the city."

"Wait, Aang!" Azami called out to him. "We can't just run in! It could be dangerous if people find out who we are! We at least need to get you a disguise."

Sokka scoffed at her. "Oh yeah, sure, great idea your highness. I'm sure that if he just puts on a hat we'll just walk straight in." Azami just recoiled a little, glancing down at her feet.

Aang seemed a little confused. "What am I supposed to do, grow a moustache?"

Less than a minute later, to no one's surprise, Aang had a moustache.

"This is so itchy!" Aang complained. "How do you live in this stuff?" Appa just turned his head to face the airbender and snorted at him.

Aang's disguise consisted of a lot of Appa's shedded fur, giving Aang both a moustache and probably the most ridiculous hair style Katara had ever seen, but it was enough to cover his arrows. "What about you, Azami?" Katara asked. "You can't go in wearing Fire Nation clothes, it'll be a dead giveaway."

"Why not?" Sokka countered. "I mean her eyes scream Fire Nation anyways. We really should just leave her out here if we don't want to get caught."

The princess seemed even more downcast as she responded. "When... when we were on Kyoshi, I was given a spare change of clothes. I-I'll just go change behind Appa." She climbed up onto Appa's saddle to grab the clothes, her head down the entire time.

Katara didn't know what happened on Kyoshi, but for whatever reason Azami had seemed a lot more upset the past few days and Sokka had been more rude to her than ever, one time even insisting that she go eat on her own (although Katara had insisted she stay before she could leave). So as Azami went behind Appa, Katara decided to question her brother.

"Alright, Sokka," she whispered, pulling him away from Appa and Aang. "What exactly happened on Kyoshi? First Aang tells me he saw you two training as Kyoshi warriors, and the next time I see you two she's curled in a ball crying herself to sleep while you've got your club in hand glaring at her. What gives?"

Sokka scowled at her question. "Shortly after Zuko arrived, the two of us and Suki went to go attack him. Suki nearly got blasted by Zuko's fire, so I pulled her behind a nearby house while Azami kept him distracted. Next thing I know, as we're preparing to say goodbye, a family of three comes running up behind the houses and claimed that Azami burned their daughter."