i. I

Azami winced, her head floating in and out of consciousness, the harsh sunlight glaring down on her. She took in a shuddering breath, trying to get a grasp on her surroundings, before she quickly started shivering. For some reason, it was absolutely freezing, her robes, designed to be as light as possible for the warm Fire Nation climate, doing little to keep her warm. Groaning, she forced her eyes open, sitting up and trying to take in her surroundings.

All she could see was blue and white. Very helpful, she thought. That narrowed it down to anywhere on the ocean that was cold enough to have ice. Bringing her hands up to her mouth, she let out a quick burst of white flame from her mouth, trying to warm her hands before she got frostbite. She'd always been grateful for her white flames - not only was she singularly proud of it, being the only firebender in history to have the ability, but it provided significantly more warmth than the average orange fire.

Sighing, she looked around trying to figure out where exactly she was and how she got here. As far as she could tell, she was in the middle of an iceberg, nothing but glaciers and water all around her, and the very large, fluffy bison she was resting on.

Wait a minute, she thought. Bison? APPA! She immediately sprang up, leaping off the bison's saddle and running around to his face, checking him for any injuries. Thankfully, she found none, although he appeared to be very sleepy. She heard some voices nearby, but paid them no attention as she focused on the wellbeing of her very soft and cuddly friend.

"Appa? You there, buddy? Cmon, wake up!" she exclaimed, before the bison opened his eye briefly and proceeded to lick her from head to toe.

"Ah, stop! Appa- aw, man, now I need to get these clothes washed." she grumbled, secretly relieved that Appa was doing fine. Reassured by that knowledge, she looked up to see her best friend Aang jump onto Appa's head, giggling at his silliness. She could never figure out where he got his energy from.

"Appa! Are you all right? Wake up buddy!" Aang exclaimed, before seeing another person out of the corner of his eye. "Oh, hey Azami! You doing ok?" he asked, looking over at her.

She giggled again at the young airbender, "Perfectly fine, thanks. You?"

"Never better" Aang smiled, as he proceeded to give Appa some light scratches on his forehead.

Sensing another person - or rather, other people - nearby, Azami turned around to see a boy and a girl around her age staring at Appa in absolute shock, as if he was a divine being descending from the heavens (which, in her opinion, he was - Azami could never get over how adorable the sky bison was).

Deciding to abandon palace decorum in favor of a simple greeting, Azami took a step towards the two, smiling as she introduced herself, "Hello there! My name's Azami, what's yours?"

Finally distracted from the bison, the two looked over at the newcomer only to gasp in shock at her blatantly obvious Fire Nation Royalty attire, the girl retreating behind the boy as he held up his spear towards her, the tip trembling.

"Ummm... hello? Did I do something wrong?" she asked, confused by the obvious sign of aggression. She leaned over towards Aang, whispering, "I didn't do anything, did I?" He merely shrugged in response, not understanding why anyone would have a problem with Azami.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?!?!" the boy screeched at her, clearly terrified of her.

Unsure of how to approach the situation, despite how rude the boy was being, Azami decided it would be far better to be civil in her response, "Um... I'm Princess Azami of the Fire Nation, and I'm sorry if I did anything to upset you. I'm here because... well... actually, Aang, that is a good question, where are we? What are we doing here?"