i. XX

A/N; I am so sorry this took so long, idk why it took me ages to get the motivation to finish it but here it is after so long (aka like 10 days lol)

Sokka P.o.V.

"Hey, look! A sword made out of a whale's tooth!"

Sokka's head shot up in surprise, and he raced over to where the young Avatar was holding a familiar-looking weapon. "Lemme see that," he asked, and Aang handed him the sword. Sokka frowned at it, recognizing it instantly. "This is a Water Tribe weapon! See if you can find anything else."

Aang and Sokka both looked around, trying to find anything else that might be of interest. "Did someone lose something?" Katara's voice rang out.

"No," Aang replied in a cheery voice. "We found something."

As Sokka continued searching, he brushed aside a pile of leaves to find a broken arrow tip lying on the ground. "It's burned," he muttered as he rubbed ash off the tip. Glancing up, he saw some ash marks on a nearby tree, adding to his suspicions. "There was a battle. Water Tribe warriors ambushed a group of firebenders. The firebenders fought back, but the warriors drove them down this hill."

Sokka, Katara and Aang followed the tracks, running down the slope until they arrived at the nearby beach, where they vanished. "So then what happened?" Aang asked in a curious tone.

"I don't know," Sokka admitted in defeat. "The trail ends here."

"Hey guys!" Azami called out to them. "Over here!" Sokka glanced over, his eyes widening as he saw her standing next to a Water Tribe boat. Excited, the two Water Tribe siblings raced over to take a closer look.

"Is this Dad's boat?" Katara whispered hopefully.

Sokka smiled. "No, but it's from his fleet," he grinned, looking back at his sister. "Dad was here."

Night fell, and the group decided to camp out next to the boat. While the other three had gone off to sleep, Sokka remained awake, poking at the fire. He was lost in thought, reminiscing on the day his father had left him in charge and as the only defender of the tribe.

A young Sokka was struggling with his pack, hurrying to bring it over to the fleet of Water Tribe boats. Even if he was young, he'd spent his life preparing to be Chief, and he was willing to go fight alongside his dad.

"Sokka," his father's voice called out to him, and he stopped, glancing up at the man before him.

"I'm coming with you," Sokka insisted.

Hakoda shook his head, unwilling to put his son's life at risk. "You're not old enough to go to war, Sokka, you know that."

If there was anything Sokka had learned from his father, it was stubbornness. No way was he going to be left behind. "I'm strong, I'm brave!" he protested. "I can fight! Please, Dad!"

Hakoda placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, smiling down at him. "Being a man is knowing where you're needed the most," he explained. "For you right now, that's here protecting your sister."

"I don't understand," Sokka whispered, his eyes starting to tear up.

"Someday you will," his father assured him. Sokka couldn't keep his tears in any longer, and he ran into his dad's arms. "I'm gonna miss you so much. Do you remember what I told you last night?"

Sokka looked up at his father, tears streaming down his face as he nodded. "Firebenders are the enemy," he recited. "It's my job to protect our family from them."