i. XXVI

A/N; Just one thing to say before we get into the end of book one - there's a reference to my favorite MCU movie in here. Spot it, you get a free cookie!

With that in mind, let's jump in - we're going fishing >:)

Sokka P.o.V.

"I can't believe I lost him. Both of them."

"You did everything you could," Sokka comforted. "And now, we need to do everything we can to get them back. Zuko can't have gotten far. We'll find him, and they'll both be fine."

Katara glanced back at him, tears in her eyes. She was, understandably, a wreck since she lost her duel with the firebender. Wiping her eyes, she nodded in response as she got up. Joining Yue and Sokka on Appa's back, she glanced back when Momo chirped sadly. "It's alright," Katara assured the lemur. "You stay here, Momo, in case either of them come back."

Sokka flicked Appa's reins, letting out the usual 'yip yip' command. Within seconds, they'd taken flight and headed out into the frozen tundra above the tribe.

Almost as soon as they'd climbed above the waterfall that led to the oasis, Sokka could tell why the northerners hadn't settled up here. The weather, unlike in the tribe, was absolutely miserable. As far as the eye could see, there was only clouds, snow, and ice. Paired with a battering wind that was chilling even in his parka, it was far more inhospitable than anywhere Sokka had been before.

Hang on, Azami, he thought to himself. Even if you don't care, I'm still coming.

Zuko P.o.V.

Out of the frying pan, and into the fire.

Despite dealing with heat instead of cold, the saying was remarkably apt for Zuko's current predicament. He thought the hard part would be getting into the Northern Water Tribe, and capturing both Azami and Aang. To his relief, while getting in had been hard, capturing them had been fairly easy.

It was almost enough to make him think he had someone on his side. Maybe the spirits were pitying him. If only, Zuko scoffed.

No, if anything, it seemed like the universe was mocking him at this point. The hard part was supposed to be over, but no - it had only begun. Lugging two people around was already going to be hard enough, but doing it while buried knee-deep in snow, his boots filled with the stuff? That was miserable.

But wait! It gets better! As a firebender, Zuko naturally used his bending to warm himself with his breath of fire. Something his uncle had taught him long ago - it was nice to see those lessons pay off. One side effect though? All that snow in his boots had long since melted, meaning that he was walking through snow while his feet were buried in a puddle. Oh, and he wanted to scratch his face off, the wind was irritating him so much.

It was enough to make him want to just give up.

You're almost there, his brain reminded him. You've worked towards this for three years, and now that you have him - both of them - in your grasp, you want to give up?

Taking a deep breath, Zuko carried onwards. He had no clue where he would go next, all he cared about was that he had the Avatar at last. For him, that was enough.

For the universe, though? Nah. It wasn't enough.

The ice beneath Zuko's feet, which had been stable for a long time, decided to suddenly crack, much to his surprise. Not sparing it a second glance, he immediately took it in stride, forcing himself to sprint as fast as he could. The weight of both bodies was heavily dragging him down, though, forcing him to use every ounce of his strength.