i. IV

Katara P.o.V.

Katara was still rooted to the same spot nearly an hour later, unable to comprehend what had just happened. Aang - the little goofball of an airbender - was actually the Avatar?!

She heard Sokka approach behind her, but before he could tell her to just forget them, she cut him off. "We have to go after that ship, Sokka. Aang and Azami saved our lives and our tribe - now we have to save them."

"Katara, I-" Sokka tried to get a word in, but his sister persisted.

Katara just shook her head. "Look, I know how you feel about Azami since she's a firebender, but can you please realize she's on our side? They both are! If we don't help them, no one will. We owe them, and-"

Before she could finish, Sokka interrupted her, exasperated. "Katara! Are you gonna talk all day, or are you comin' with me?"

Gasping in shock, Katara turned around to see Sokka loading up a canoe, preparing to follow the Fire Nation ship. "Sokka!" she hugged him.

Sokka grumbled - she knew he wasn't thrilled with the idea, but she didn't care. "Let's go save your boyfriend," he smirked.

Katara was more than a little miffed by this, so she decided to get a jab in at him in retaliation. "Yeah, and your girlfriend."

Sokka spluttered. "I- she- my girlfr- what? Azami is NOT my girlfriend!"

Before they could head out, they heard a voice scold them. "What do you two think you're doing?"

Katara just felt guilty, before Kanna smiled and pulled out a few packs. "You'll need these".

Kanna looked at her grandchildren fondly. "You have a long journey ahead. Both of you. It's been so long since we've had any hope, and you two have brought it back to life, my little waterbender and brave warrior."

Kanna turned away, before exclaiming. "Oh, before I forget. The girl's name was Azami, right? Well, I believe I may know who she is. And it could explain why she acted like she knew nothing of the war."

Azami P.o.V.

Azami struggled against her captors' grip, trying to shake them off, before the guards suddenly halted and she found herself once again face-to-face with the scarred leader. Beside him stood a rather large old man, whose face expressed shock for a brief moment before settling into a mask of calm.

"So... what brings a little traitor like you all the way out here?" the boy asked her, sneering.

Azami simply refused to answer, turning her head away from him slightly. If he wasn't going to treat his Princess with the respect she deserved, then she wouldn't make this any easier for him.

Unfortunately, this did not sit well with the young leader at all, as he struck a fist into Azami's gut, causing her to double over, gasping.

"Prince Zuko! That is no way to treat a guest, and especially not a lady!" the old man snapped.

Azami's eyes widened, as she looked up at the scarred boy. How had she not recognized it sooner? His hairstyle was clearly indicative of a banished Prince. Jeez, she had forgotten how bad of a look that was. No wonder everyone in the Fire Nation was so obsessed with respect, she'd rather go bald than have that thing on her head.

The boy known as Zuko simply scoffed, before he turned to another guard who held Aang's staff. Taking it into his hands, he taunted the young airbender. "This staff will make an excellent gift for my father. I suppose you wouldn't know of fathers, being raised by monks."