Revealed (Unbound, Book 5)

Autorstwa SashaLeighS

Nora is finally free from Devland's control. Having embraced her magic, stripping the Larkin family and corre... Więcej

Author's Note
Aesthetics
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Empowered Preview

Chapter Twenty

480 47 9
Autorstwa SashaLeighS

It wasn't long ago that I found a break in the trees leading in the opposite direction of Wickenton. The urge had been the same, like something was drawing me in. This time, I didn't feel the calm the clearing had to offer, but the cramps vanished as though they only existed until I gave into what my body was trying to tell me. They were replaced with an anxiousness that guided my feet towards something I knew wasn't going to be anything close to what I wanted to find.

Was it any wonder that I hated surprises?

No good came from the unknown.

I almost turned around but couldn't leave Onyx, and she was still racing ahead.

Every spot that I'd claimed had been filled with warmth and, when the sun became too much, water was always close to cool the burn. The stream past the clearing in Briarville, the lake that could be seen from the cliff in the clearing in Wickenton, and even the waterfall at the park Calin showed me earlier. This... These trees were cold. Dark. I could see, sure, but it was a dim. I felt like something sinister was going to jump out at any moment. The rays of sun only served to provide enough light to showcase the shadows.

The path was barely large enough for me to navigate through, and I felt branches scratch at my arms. Ahead of me, Onyx slowed her pace. I did the same, hoping it would give Calin time to catch up to me and so I could avoid as many scrapes as possible. It wasn't until I heard the rustle of leaves behind me that I was able to distinguish between Calin's footsteps and the sound of my heart pounding in my ears. I tried to regulate my breathing and find an inner calm.

The path widened and Onyx halted. Once again, I followed her lead. Calin, who'd finally caught up, didn't notice. He took an extra step, the toes of his foot hitting the heel of mine. I stumbled forward. He dodged to the left and somehow managed to keep me from landing on my butt in the dirt, his hands cupping my elbows and mine automatically grasping his forearms. My breath escaped in a huff.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I looked up, nearly grazing my nose on his chin. Immediately, I tried to drop my hands and grazed his stomach. Heat filled my cheeks, and I took a step back. "Fine." I sucked in another breath, surprised—and then guilty—at the dose of calm and awareness such little contact had provided. "Just... yeah. A little winded."

Calin's gaze narrowed on me and then, as though deciding whatever he was thinking wasn't worth saying, lifted his head to look around. The concern visibly faded. Calin's shoulders relaxed as he finally focused his attention straight ahead. "Oh, wow. I haven't been here in years." He turned back to me and the worry furrowed his brow again. "What—Why did you run off? What's going on? I don't feel anything."

"I don't know." I shook my head.

"Nora."

"I don't know, Calin. I'd explain it if I could. I just... had a feeling."

"No, you mentioned magic, and you weren't feeling well."

"I'm fine now."

"I'm confused."

I shrugged. "Welcome to my world."

"Can you try to explain?"

"I don't know what to say. I had cramps. It felt bad. Then, when we were coming up on the path, I... I don't know." Once again, I shook my head. It sounded so stupid. Raising my chin, I decided to embrace the oddity of my impulses. "I was drawn to it, like not coming would make me sicker. Now, my cramps are gone, but... I don't know if that's a good thing."

"Why wouldn't it be?"

I looked around. "This doesn't feel like it's a good place, Calin. It feels wrong."

"Wrong how?"

"I don't know."

Calin sighed, and I knew how frustrating I'd be with me right now. Hearing someone say I don't know in response to every question I asked would make me want to slap them, but I didn't know how to say anything else. I didn't know what drew me here. I didn't know why I had cramps. I didn't know why it felt off. Beyond creepy, the woods were... ominous. The magic I'd felt now ran like a current beneath my feet as though the ground had been saturated with the power of more than one person. It throbbed beneath us as though I was standing on a massager vibrating on its lowest setting.

"What's at the end of the path?" I asked, hoping he could provide insight.

"Our cabin."

I looked at him. "Seriously?"

Calin nodded.

"Is it haunted or something?"

"I mean, as a kid I thought so." Calin's shoulders bunched as he shoved his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. "Honestly, after mom and dad built the new vacation home, I was surprised they didn't demolish the cabin. But they talk about coming here at least once a year, so... I think it's fine?"

"Because it's romantic?"

"I guess. That's what they say."

"So you used to park on the highway and hike there?"

"No." Calin shook his head. "There's a back road off the highway. We'd park in an open field and quad in. My parents built the new place in the field. They're the only ones who really come here now. My dad, mostly, after a tough case or when he wants to hunt or something."

Onyx growled, crouching as she looked ahead.

Again, I turned my attention back to Calin. "Are you sure it isn't haunted?"

"I've never seen a ghost."

"Maybe your dad buries bodies here or something," I said, trying to lighten the conversation, but I couldn't let go of the lead weighing at the bottom of my stomach. "Onyx senses something."

As though prompted by the sound of her name, Onyx growled again. She jumped up to all four legs, and I could see the muscles beneath her fur twitch, coiled and ready to spring. A second later, she took off running. Once again, I had no choice but to follow. This time, Calin was at my side as we raced ahead.

A bend in the unworn path took Onyx from sight, but only for a moment. As soon as we rounded it, a small one-story log home appeared. Onyx reached halfway to the front door and then raced back. Barking, she ran behind me. When I didn't stop or face her, she whined. I nearly yelped when she lunged at me, scared that something was making her attack. Instead, she grabbed at the back of my shirt and tried to dig her paws into the ground to find enough traction to keep me from going any further.

"Onyx. Stop." I looked at the cabin. "Is your dad here now?"

"No. I... no." Calin shook his head.

"Why is there smoke coming from the chimney then? Are you sure they still come here, or is that just what they tell you so they can have a night alone at your new place?" A shiver raced across my skin, leaving a tingle that wouldn't go away. It didn't look fit for anyone to spend time inside if for no other reason than the hazard of the roof collapsing due to its age and obvious disrepair. "Onyx. Enough."

With a whine, Onyx let go. She ran ahead and stopped in front of the door before turning back to us and barking as though she was trying to tell us not to come closer.

"I don't know about this, Nora. Maybe we should get my parents."

"Scared of a squatter?"

"No. But why heat a place that has a broken window? And why is there a generator set up on the side of the house?" Calin pointed to the right side. "I know my dad didn't bring that here, and a squatter wouldn't have the money, right?"

"It's under a window."

"I don't think its position matters."

"Its height does—we can stand on it and look inside without actually going inside. That way, we know what's in there and can decide if we should get your parents."

"I don't think it's a good idea. Seriously, this is probably how every horror movie about people dying in a cabin begins."

"Oh, whatever. If you don't want to, it's okay. I'll go." I shrugged and started forward and hid the smirk as Calin followed despite his hesitancy. "Besides, I don't think Onyx is going to leave."

"I don't think our arrival is a surprise with all the noise she's making."

"Scared?"

"Hardly." He looked at me and grinned. "I know what you're capable of."

Aside from the visible cause for misgivings, I didn't mention the magic that I'd sensed on the way here—or the fact that it had multiplied tenfold since the cabin was within sight. Since Calin didn't mention it again—maybe he simply hoped I'd been wrong—I didn't think it was a good choice of topic. For sure he would want to wait until his parents were there to see what was going on if he knew the urge to stop the car and run into unknown trees had intensified. Heck, at this point, with as many warnings I'd already taken notice of, I hoped I was wrong. It wouldn't take him long to talk me out of exploring, but that wasn't an option at this point. Because Calin was right: Onyx already made too much noise. If we left, whoever was here would seize the opportunity to disappear. I was done with not knowing what was going on right in front of me.

No matter the danger, I was looking in the window.

Despite what I saw, I would probably even go inside.

It was time to face things head on—I'd proven it was better to rely on myself rather than the adults around me. Even as great as Calin's parents were, I had to do this. I am doing this. I just hoped my bravado wasn't a mistake that Calin would be hurt over.

No, that wasn't even possible.

I shook my head and forced positive thoughts—not everything had to be a disaster.

Onyx didn't move away from the door as I approached, apparently not thinking the window would hurt me. Feeling more confident because of that small favour, I climbed on top of the generator and crouched on top with my hands on either side of me so that I could keep balanced. It was pure luck that the machine wasn't on. I'd only heard the hum of a generator before, but I was certain it probably had some sort of vibration when it was working. With how precarious I already felt, any motion would be too much to keep my balance. If someone was inside and not already on alert because of Onyx, I didn't want to fall on my butt. The bang would not be subtle.

"Be careful," Calin said quietly.

"I'm fine."

"Just have a quick look and get down."

I rolled my eyes but bit my tongue. One look at Calin and I could tell it would be mean to say anything different. His apprehension—whether about doing this or just allowing me to be the one doing it—was clear. I ignored the desire to say something and cleared my throat. Then, I turned and concentrated on the window. Still crouched, I inched forward, one step at a time, all the while pausing after each movement to ensure I remained balanced. Once I took the last step, I reached out with my hands and grasped the worn wooden window frame that seemed so old it was gray instead of brown. Bracing my weight, I used the frame to pull me up to almost standing.

The windows were dirty and full of dust, but I could see within a single circle of cleanliness a small room inside the cabin. It was sparsely furnished with a couch and a table with chairs, but I didn't see anyone. I could see clothes strewn about that didn't remind of Nolyn at all, and opened containers of both perishable and non-perishable foods in different stages of decomposition. At the back of the room, there were two interior doors—one open showing more disarray in the bathroom, and the other closed so I couldn't see within.

I thought Calin said there wasn't plumbing?

Ugh.

"It's no good," I said, and started climbing down. "We'll have to go in the front door. I can't see into the back room, but I don't think whoever is in there is dangerous. A pig, yeah. But... I couldn't even confirm if anyone is there."

"Then we should wait."

"No." I shook my head. Whatever was going on inside didn't feel dangerous, but I couldn't ignore the fact that I was prompted here by some magical... whatever. Onyx's reaction didn't scream, 'Welcome. I squat in peace'. I could still feel the tingling from the magic I sensed, and I wanted to know where it originated from. "I'm going inside. I can handle a lot and we have Onyx. It'll be fine."

I turned, still crouched, and inched towards the edge. Sitting, I hung my legs over the side for a moment and then jumped, landing beside Calin with my knees bent. I straightened, raised my head, and looked at Calin. If this went bad, I was going to feel terrible. It would definitely be used as an example of when I should listen to him if it did. I just... couldn't walk away from the feelings that wouldn't subside.

"Are you coming with me?" I asked, and Calin winced. "You don't have to. I can meet you back at the car."

"Yeah, right."

"I'm serious."

"And that will happen never."

"Okay, then let's go." I turned, flicking my wrist for him to follow as I started toward the front door.

Onyx, as though sensing that I hadn't been heading inside, had sat down. When she saw us approaching, she stood on all fours. Onyx bent her head and whined. It wasn't a threat. More... like a plea. I wished I could turn around and leave, but I wasn't keen on feeling the cramps that had guided me here again.

"Move, Onyx," I said, and she whined again. "Now."

I reached out and rubbed her head between her ears, but Onyx didn't move. Not an inch. Unbudging. Continuing to rub her, using my nails to scratch like I knew Onyx enjoyed, I side-stepped her, slowly moving around her unmoving stance until I was on the other side. Once I was closer to the door, I dropped my hand.

"Stay." I pointed my finger at Onyx and continued to back away.

To my disappointment, Calin walked right by Onyx without so much as a whimper from her in protest. I couldn't tell if it was because she'd been trained to protect me or if Onyx just liked me better, but I hoped for the latter. Either way, having Onyx with us made me braver than I normally would be. Without further interference, I walked to the front door and turned the doorknob. It twisted in my hand, unlocked.

"Wow." I laughed. "You'd think someone hanging out where they didn't belong would at least lock the door behind them. You know, give them a chance to get away if the owners came back."

"It's the middle of nowhere." Calin shrugged, shoving his hands into his front pockets and hunching his shoulders.

I glanced back to the door, not wanting to be distracted with the familiar gesture that made his arms larger while making him seem somehow vulnerable. The fact that Calin easily gave a visible cue to his uncertainty was attractive. It was probably because I hated secrets. No matter what results came back from our test, I could honestly trust that Calin would be upfront with me, and that would always draw me to him.

"Maybe nobody is inside," Calin said.

"Only one way to find out."

I finished turning the knob and pushed, then stepped back in case there really was something to worry about on the other side. The door opened an inch and then stopped as though something was blocking it. I leaned forward to use my shoulder. Before I touched the wood, I was blocked from entering. I stepped back, furrowing my brow.

"What's wrong?" Calin asked, stepping forward.

I shook my head. "I don't know. It's stuck, and I can't get past the doorframe to push it farther."

"Let me try." Calin took his hands out of his pockets and strode past me. At the doorway, he stopped and leaned forward as I had, obviously going to use his shoulder. He grunted. "I can't even touch the doorknob, let alone push it." Another grunt. "There's... a barrier."

"Stop." I put my hand on Calin's shoulder and nudged him away. "Maybe I can break it."

Calin stepped out of reach, giving me space.

I stood in front of the semi-open front door and closed my eyes to visualize the barrier. Up to then, the magic around me had been overwhelming. Opening myself up—seeking it out—nearly made me double over, it was so strong. But standing still, the smell from within the cabin had begun to waft outwards—rotting food, sweat, and the ammonia of unclean amenities. I'd once had a friend who always forgot to clean their cat's litter, so her mother put the box in my friends' room to teach her to care for her pet. The smell coming out of the cabin reminded me of that. As disgusting as it was, it helped to offset everything else.

The door will open.

The door is opening.

We can walk inside.

"Ugh." No matter how much I pictured the door opening and being able to enter, the barrier didn't budge. I opened my eyes and squinted. "Come on."

"Here." Calin put his hand in mine. "Try again."

Again, the sensations that I opened myself up to were strong. Instinctually—whether because I felt guilty for liking it or I was so focused on completing the task, I didn't know—I started to pull away. Calin twined our fingers, though, and held on tighter. I sighed, giving in, then pushed all other thoughts out of my mind and focused back on the door. This time, I didn't try to close my eyes. Once I embraced it, the calm wrapped me in a bubble, and I was able to concentrate.

The door is opening.

We are walking inside.

The door is opening.

The door is wide open.

We are walking inside.

A small creak sounded.

Stars filled my vision and bubble wrap crackled the air as it popped.

Smirking, I looked down, surprised to find a film rising as though an invisible film that I could only see now because the light was hitting its edge. It was like a set of blinds. The shiny bottom was inching upward as if an invisible cord was drawing it open. My gaze followed it until the edge disappeared beyond the warped, gray-brown top frame of the door.

"I think... we did it," I said, smiling. I looked at Calin and my grin faded, and I dropped his hand. Taking a step back, I said, "Thank you."

Calin gave me a half-smile that somehow said we did a good job and that he was disappointed it was the only way I would let him hold my hand. He gestured to the door "After you."

"How about we try this one together?" I asked, holding out my hand. "I mean, it worked on the door, so it should help if there is anything—or anyone—in there."

Calin's smile widened, and I knew this could be a mistake, but I didn't take back the offer. Instead, I grabbed his hand before he reached out and let the calm only he could bring me settle my nerves. If there was anything beyond the barrier—why else would there be a barrier? —I wanted to ensure I wasn't distracted by anything else, and that seemed best accomplished with Calin at my side. A moment later, we stepped through the doorway together.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

873 171 16
Once my mum held unrivaled fame and power as a guild member, commanding respect across the world. Then, unexpectedly, my parents left London for the...
437K 26.4K 41
|2022 WATTY'S SHORTLIST| HER WISH CAN SET HIM FREE. When college student Ella Carrington finds an ancient locket and a gorgeous man literally falls...
528 81 12
Our female lead Norah had a horrible life, she was abused and abandoned at a young age. She was never loved by those who was to be her family (except...
3.6K 525 34
Noreena Fallyn has overcome the grief of her mother's death, embracing her abilities, discovering family, and life-threatening events. Zachariah is n...