Dhruva Nakshathra - The Game...

By DevaDDK

A man who has been falsely promised for a throne forms an alliance with someone who could be his shield to pr... More

|| 0 ||
PART I
ONE
TWO - a
TWO - b
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
PART II
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y-O N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
T W E N T Y - T H R E E
T W E N T Y - F O U R
T W E N T Y - F I V E
T W E N T Y - S I X
T W E N T Y - S E V E N
T W E N T Y - E I G H T
TWENTY - NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY - FIVE
THIRTHY-SIX
THIRTHY-SEVEN
THIRTHY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
PART III
FORTY
FORTY - ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY - THREE
FORTY - FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY - SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY - TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
FIFTY-EIGHT
FIFTY-NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY - ONE

N I N E

111 10 2
By DevaDDK

Pavalanageri, capital city of Shoolin

Ranganathan fanned himself with the hem of his kurta trying to cool down from the oppressive heat of Shoolin. The shade above the cart too did not help ease the blazing temperature. Clinging kurta and wet hair, sweat ran down like condensation of a glass of cool drink. "Once we get to the palace, we should be fine," Ranganathan whispered barely able to speak louder for the dry throat the journey had caused him.

Desert spread to their left as far as the eyes could reach and beyond. As their cart moved pass the desert, luscious vegetation covered a major part of the land providing the city with enormous varieties of herbs, vegetables and spices. What an opportunity to strike? Ranganathan made a mental note to approach the king for an export deal of those herbs and spices for it would cost a fortune in Durja and in other parts of Lambodara.

The cart followed behind a few slow moving pulled-carts carrying a cart full of barrels. Udumban craned his neck to check the one-way road only to find there were five pulled-carts ahead of him. "Oi! Oi! Could you give us some way, we are heading to the palace? Move aside," Udumban screamed for the front most cart puller to hear.

However, something they did not expect happened causing them to regret for even opening their mouth. Not one, not two but all the cart pullers dropped their carts and surrounded their chariot. Displeased with the rude visitor, the cart puller each cursed and growled at them. "Don't you have patience, you pig!", "Can't you see that we have a cart full of oil barrels?", "We are not going to give you way.", "You follow our speed, we are heading to the palace too."

Twenty minutes to the palace took about an hour of exhausted slow ride. Thankfully they had no trouble entering into the palace. At the mention of a name to the palace guards, one of them permitted their entry and had taken Udumban to the servant quarters for rest and meal meanwhile Ranganathan was escorted to one of Shijay's council members.

"You look pathetic. Did you walk all the way from Durja?" asked Babudas, a council member and a friend of Ranganathan. The average in height councillor clapped his hand twice for an attended and instructed to get a bowl of water with towel for his guest.

"I would have been happier if I had walked but it was not the case today. We were stuck in a quarrel with cart pullers for asking them to give us way. Quite rude, they are I must say," complained Ranganathan as he took a seat at the balcony viewing the great capital city of Shoolin, Pavalanageri, the city of pearl.

The planned circular city bordered with a thick and tall wall made of steel making it invincible to penetrate into the city. Inside the wall, were many smaller circular walls separating the people according to clusters. The city indeed a city of pearl for its tiny clusters resembling pearls were well designed fitting for its name, Pavalanageri.

"May I remind you that the people of Pavalanageri only respects and fears for the king and his household. They don't do that for mere visitors, Ranga. You got to keep that in mind," Babudas said and gestured to the servant who entered to help Ranganathan with the water and towel.

"I know but they could do it politely too," Ranganathan sulked and snatched the towel handed to him. "Isn't it Aditi devo bhava?" he asked.

"Not here my friend."

**--**--**

When Ranganathan got the permission to meet the king, he was afraid. Afraid the king might act rougher than his people, questions swirl in if the king would tie him in shackles and whip him for not paying on time. Maybe, tie his legs to the back of a horse cart and drag him all the way back to Durja, he shrieked at the thought. They had certainly delayed but would the king understand if he explains why it happened?

Ranganathan braced himself before entering into the massive office of maharaja Shijay. The immaculate interior of the chamber left him agape, precision of the sculptures and the collection of swords hung on the wall told stories of the king's obsession towards sharp weapons. Although visiting Shoolin isn't his first time, meeting the king in his office room would be it.

"Ah, there you are. Come have a seat, Ranganathan. We haven't met in a long time." The king appeared happier and livelier than he had expected. Shijay's welcome sent off his anxiety out the room.

"Good to see you well and healthy, my king." He responded, bowing his head with respect. "Lady Alli sent her regards to maharaja and maharani."

"Ah, yes. Lady Alli, her armies and her slaves." Shijay nodded with a laugh as he randomly scanned his table, his fingers tracing the edge of the fine polished table. "How is she doing?"

Ranganathan blinked in confusion, 'Wasn't he supposed to be upset with us?' he thought.

Shijay responded as quickly as his thought bubbled. "I know what you are thinking, Ranganathan. I should have been angry with you and probably throw you in the dungeon but I'm not going to do that. In fact, I'm giving you more time to settle the payment."

Raising from his seat, Ranganathan bowed in gratitude for his kindness. He couldn't imagine himself locked in the dungeon, starving and living with rats, he had so much to do. "Thank you, maharaja. Lady Alli and I are grateful to you."

"Sit down. Sit down." Shijay gestured the chair before him. "I have been blessed with a son and you must thank him that I'm being kind to you," he laughed with a hint of villainous in it.

Ranganathan anxious faced broke into a smile, he immediately congratulated the king. He then reached for the bag he had brought along and searched for the letter Alli had written.

Shijay went through the letter and a wider smile plastered on his face, delighted with Alli's offer. Rolling the letter back he carefully placed it in his desk drawer. "I'm pleased! Once Lady Alli has succeeded in her plan, we shall proceed to get the treasure hidden beneath the land of Kavish," he stated and called one of his attendants to bring in refreshments for them.

While they waited for the refreshments, Shijay invited Ranganathan to prolong his stay in Pavalanageri to attend his son's naming ceremony. Shijay also suggested that he could use the time to monitor the army contingent they paid to be trained under Shijay's imperial army for their future use. "It would help the soldiers to recognise their leader as well," said Shijay.

Recollecting Chitramala's advice, he foresees the opportunity to gain more trust from the king. I would make full use of my stay here. It is time I work for my own agenda, affirmed Ranganathan, silently. Despite an untold fear of small possibility of failure loomed in him, he promised himself to go till the end of his revenge.

***--***--**--***

Lalitavanam

The procession of Durja was returning from Mount Gaja when a rider from the palace met them with an urgent message. The message had originated from the northwest garrison, Ilyadari and after learning the urgency, without a due the imperial guard, Megavannan sent a rider to deliver the message to the prince. General Surananda who received the rider ushered him to the king's chariot who had decided to travel on land instead of taking the ratha vimana.

"My apologies for halting the procession. The imperial guard, Megavannan has sent a rider with a message." Surananda bowed as the king lifted the curtain from the chariot window.

"What is the message?" Yogathepan asked.

The rider stepped forward and courteously bowed, "Maharaja, these are reports from the northwest garrison. The frontier guards request for more soldiers be sent to the border. The invasion of the tribal tribes from the forest into Ilyadari has gotten worse."

The king weighed the matter and ordered the crown prince to travel to Ilyadari, catch the invaders and prison them. "Make sure no one is left out of the tribe; men or women. Catch them all. How dare they invade my land?" The king fumed.

"Maharaja, wouldn't it be fair if we investigate first before coming to a conclusion?" Dhruva defied as the king stared hard at him.

"They have destroyed the land, captivated the frontier guards and the people. You want to investigate? Do as I say, Dhruva!"

Gush of anger spread through his vein as his father pressed on punishing the people of the forest for a reason he would only find out once he gets there. His father showed no sign of a conscientious king but an inhuman ruler. Dhruva bowed down and politely denied to follow, "Your Highness, I will do as you say only after I look into the matter. I will not prison anyone without a proper investigation. Everyone deserves a chance to explain why they did it. I'll take my leave. Further report on Ilyadari will be sent to the palace once the matter is solved." With that said, he left to Ilyadari without waiting for the king' counter response.

As someone who prefers peace over violence, Dhruva wish to see a harmonious kingdom. By following the king's order, he will not only establish a new enemy for the kingdom but he would also promote violence which might be taken as an example for future. Not an image he wanted the land to carry about him. His journey to Ilyadari gone in a daze thinking of his father's words and of what he would be encountering at the garrison.

Dhruva, his twenty-four Yujyagana and seventy other soldiers rode half the distance and reached Ilyadari in a relatively short time. The scenario they were greeted with did not assure them a positive encounter in Ilyadari. The organically sweet smell tickled their nostrils. The destroyed sugarcane farms had been the first to come into vision, chopped and fallen sugarcanes scattered on the field amidst a few standing sticks.

They rode further into the village; guards were patrolling around while the streets remained empty and quiet. They pass through rows and rows of ruined dwellings and as they reached closer to the heart of the village, those who have lost their homes raised tents with the help of the frontiers.

An old lady noticed the approaching troop, the calm lady begun screaming as she struggled to stand up. Villagers around her startled in fear of another round of attack, they ran away hiding themselves.

Apprehensive of the commotion, Megavannan and other guards rushed to the scene only to receive the crown prince and his soldiers. Swords were unsheathed back and the tension slowly returned to normal. The villagers were quickly assured of their safety and were asked to return to the camp.

While the villagers returned to the guarded camp, Dhruva and Megavannan headed to the end of the village border where the thick forest begins. Also, where the Parigosh tribe lives. It saddened him to see the damaged houses and plantations. The villagers' source of food had been swept clean. Heavy footsteps of soldiers from the other side drew his attention, loads of foods from nearby villages were being transported for the people.

"What happened, mama? Did you find out anything?" he asked.

"By the time I reached, they have rampaged through the village and destroyed everything that came their way. I have been waiting for them for the last two days, they have not stepped out yet," replied Megavannan.

"We can't wait till they come out, mama."

Megavannan needed to hear no more from Dhruva for he had already read the mind of his crown prince. He nodded and added, "You should take rest before going in, son. It will be a long journey."

**--***---***--**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

914 111 22
It is a story of two sisters who can sacrifice anything for eachother. It is a story of two sisters whose relation is not accepted by society. People...
4.1K 296 28
Ajabdeh Punwar does not believe in the idea of a partnership. Until Pratap Singh comes along. He is royalty, he is as quirky as her and there is a se...
7.6K 421 17
Rhea had finally crossed the line and planned Prachi's murder, but her plan backfired as Prachi survived and Pragya whom she loved like her own mothe...
1.8K 127 27
It is popularly known that whatever happens, happens to be good. Whether it's going to happen or even it happened. And it happens like a blessing. Fo...