Conflicted (Boyxboy)

By InfamousLove

~ "When I first met you I had no idea how much you would end up meaning to me." ~ When Riley is once agai... More

1
2
3
4
chapter 5
chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter nine
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
chapter 14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
chapter 23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
chapter 34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121
122
123
124
125
126
127
128
129
130
131
132
133
134
135
136
137
138
139
141

140

3.1K 114 82
By InfamousLove

I have a little brain fog issue right now that makes coherent writing hard, so if you see an error or a sentence that doesn't make sense, kindly point it out, thanks!

-

The ride to the animal sanctuary was pretty quiet. Think we both just needed to recharge. It wasn't an awkward silence or anything, he did say a few things, but not enough to hold a conversation.

I was feeling a bit socially drained from his wild group of friends. Not sure how he handles them.

Guessing that's why he's usually silent around them? Still confused about that, I've never noticed him being quiet around me and his brothers.

Well if that's the way he likes it then whatever.

"You alright Sunshine?" Aaron's voice brought me out of a daydream and I looked at him.

Oh, we're here.

"Sorry, lost in thought." I excused as I hopped out.

I looked up and the nearly cloudless sky with a smile. Lovely day...

Nothing like the warm sun on your skin and a refreshing breeze to make you feel happier.

"Hopefully it doesn't get too hot." Aaron commented as he approached me, then offered his hand.

I blinked at it in confusion for a moment, and the smiled, my cheeks going red. I took it before he noticed my bashful reaction, but he wasn't paying attention to that anyway.

Oh god, get a hold of yourself.

Agh but he's so casual about it I'm not used to it.

"You might have to interact with a few people today, we're moving the calves into the creek paddock." He warned after opening the staff gate and I sighed.

"I'm not that anti social." I chuckled.

"Okay but you did just look like I told you to do a bunch of chores." He smiled.

"Well as long as they're not as energetic as your college friends, I can only take one of those experiences a day."

"Not as a group, and they'll also be busy, it'll be fine." He reassured, and I pouted down at the guinea pigs as we passed them without stopping.

"So there are a few like that?"

"Isn't there always?" He smirked. "The people around here tend to be very happy and excited."

"Who wouldn't be, around animals all day...but even when shovelling shit?" I raised a brow.

"Some enjoy manure ball fights so yeah." He chuckled at what must be a bizarre memory and I gave him a look.

"Not sure I'm up for that, not going to lie."

"Don't worry, I think that was a one off event."

"... Please tell me you didn't start that?" I asked in concern and he laughed.

"No! I did not take part."

"Oh, okay." I smiled in relief and he chuckled at me.

"It's not that bad."

"Full disclosure, throw shit at me and I'll cut you, comprender?" I threatened semi seriously.

"Entendido." He nodded and chuckled again.

I narrowed my eyes at him and he smiled. "I promise!" He reassured, letting go of my hand as two ladies approached us from the front of the calf shed.

Hm, it's the one from last time.

"Aaron! You brought your mysterious stranger again! Ooh.. with new battle scars." The lady exclaimed excitedly, then frowned at my eyes.

Ugh... right, attack first this time.

"Hey, Anna wasn't it? And who's this?" I smiled and she blinked at me.

"Wow what a good memory!" She chuckled awkwardly as the younger woman smiled at me. Clearly Anna didn't remember my name.

"I'm Krista, nice to meet ya." She said and I could see Anna's eyes just willing me to say my name again.

"I'm Riley." I responded eventually, stopping myself from smirking, and she just smiled like she knew all along.

"I think I remember you from last year?" Aaron asked Krista with a tilt of his head.

Oh thank god not everyone knows each other.

"Yeah, I usually visit when it's time for y'all to let the calves out, Anna's my cousin." She smiled, then looked at both of us. "How do you two know eachother?"

Uh oh.

"Uh, Boyfriend." Aaron explained honestly before I had a chance to think and I just blinked.

You don't just come out to someone with that strong of a country accent!

I watched her face for a reaction, but she just smiled and nodded like any other introduction.

Phew.

I gave Aaron a warning look as a few more people wandered over, but he just seemed confused.

"Homophobia exists." I whispered as the others greeted eachother. He nodded his head in understanding but smiled and mouthed 'its okay'.

It's not okay! I don't want to have to shank anyone if they decide to be an asshole!

"More new people!" A ginger man smiled happily, followed by a posse of people.

Surely they're not all going to introduce themselves...

"The calves are rearing to go so we should just get on with it." A woman said and I sighed in relief.

Small miracles.

I noticed Aaron chuckling as they all dispersed into separate sections of the large calf shed and looked up at him.

"What are you laughing at?" I tsked.

"Your hilariously shy body language maybe?"

"How would you like it if I shoved you into a group of my friends!"

"You don't have that many friends."

"Ruddee. I could have. I mean.. if you pile everyone I've ever been friends with together."

"Sure." He smiled, a little distracted by the excited calves that came bouncing up to us.

Omg.

I'm going to cry.

So precious.

"Babies.." I exclaimed quietly, trying not to scream as I stroked one's head. It gently moo'd at me before sucking on my fingers.

Mercyyyy I can't take this.

No, so precious...so sad... I'm not your mumma.

"Aaron.." I became concerned as three of them started circling and nuzzling me and he chuckled.

"You're mom now...for at least five minutes until they lose interest."

"What do I do?" I chuckled as my other hand got latched onto too.

"Don't offend them and you'll be fine." He smirked, getting attacked by his own gang of ruffians.

"Right," A woman stood on top of a hay bale. "..Shed A are going first, followed by B and C, don't let any calves fall behind as we want them to stay in their social groups. Let's get going." She instructed.

"Why is this such a big event?" I wondered as the people from the other section started rounding up their calves.

"Because they're all now fully jabbed up and cleared for the outside world, it's their first time outside together." Aaron explained.

"Aw, poor things, well, lucky things though I guess..."

"Very lucky, we can only take a hundred a year, the rest...never get a chance to see the sun." Aaron sighed, stroking one of their heads.

"A Hundred? Holy shit..." I looked at the crowd of excited calves. "That's a lot of baby bulls to control?"

"They're not as aggressive as people think, besides, most are adopted out before a year old." He smiled, but I felt a little concerned that he spent his days dealing with that many unpredictable animals...

Well, I guess humans are just as unpredictable, and I've been given more reason to be cautious of them than any other animal.

Besides, can hardly see little Timmy here starting a fight. I smiled at the small frail baby staring up at me.

If anyone tries to hurt you ever again I'll slice them open. Seriously.

"Come on, don't let that one behind you get left behind." Aaron warned and I looked to see it too busy sniffing the ground to notice everyone leaving.

"Hey cutie! You'll find where we're going much more interesting." I smiled as I walked after it, the other calves still following me.

Now this is the kind of gang I don't mind leading.

The ones in front made noticeable noises of excitement as they stepped outside, and I bit my lip trying to hold myself back.

They are so cuteeee.

As the path narrowed they all began to trot along in a straight line, their cute little tails swishing and some leaping in excitement. A parade of black and white babies.

"Oh my goddd I can't breathe." I chuckled, watching them plod along with a smile plastered on my face.

"Are you crying?" Aaron questioned as I wiped a tear.

"They're so adorable...no my eyes are watering..." I chuckled and he shook his head and laughed at me.

The path finally opened up to a large field, and the front calves spread out, most of them bolting off and enjoying their new found freedom.

"Goodbye children, I'll never forget you.." I sniffled as my group eventually trotted off without me.

"They grow up so fast." Aaron sighed and I chuckled. "Come on, jobs not over yet, they need a lot of hay moved into the shelter." He smiled and I followed him while watching them.

I made a face as he casually picked up a whole bale, he looked at me then hesitated. "Oh, do you think you can handle one of these?" He wondered, and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Yes."

"Are you sure?" He frowned and I grabbed onto the strings and yanked it up.

Hngghhh.

"Yep." I smiled, trying to hide the strain in my voice, and he chuckled.

I grit my teeth as we walked all the way over to the shelter before letting out a breath of relief when I dropped it down onto the floor.

"Plenty more where that came from." He smiled at me as he started walking back over and I smiled back before making a face to myself when he turned away.

I managed to survive two trips before I started huffing. "It's hot..." I complained to myself, but Aaron stopped in front of me.

"Take your shirt off then." He said and I blinked at him as he slipped his over his shoulders.

Aw great now I'm the odd man out. I sighed, looking around at everyone uncomfortably.

"Hey...you alright? It's okay if you don't want to." Aaron frowned at me.

"It's fine...it's just my scar is probably a conversation starter, and I don't like those." I smirked and he rolled his eyes at me.

"Everyone here is very friendly, don't worry about it."

"Hmm." I mumbled before taking my shirt off and walking over to a post. I put it up high enough to not be nabbed by a curious bovine, with my phone underneath, and then turned to look back at Aaron.

He just smiled at me, still stood in the same spot he was a few moments ago.

"You still here?" I waved my hand and he chuckled.

"Sorry, just taking a breather."

"Sure." I chuckled, picking up another bale and walking over to the shed. This time is was a little hard to reach my destination as a curious crowd had gathered. I smiled down at the group of calves curiously investigating the hay.

"Excuse me guys." I warned, although it's not like they could understand me. I turned back to the hay pile after I placed it, watching the last one be taken by someone else. "What's next on the chore list?" I smiled at Aaron and he smiled.

"Nothing, although, wouldn't hurt to give some of these handsome lads a grooming." He smiled, picking up a brush and crouching where a few calves were standing.

I did notice that a lot of the calmer calves were following people around instead of playing. It was cute that they wanted to hang out with humans. Maybe they wouldn't be so dangerous after all.

I smiled as Aaron gently groomed and talked to the calf as it looked at him curiously.

So cute.

I eventually sat down on the hay next to him, where one calf was lying down. I gently petted them and it moo'd at me quietly.

Feels like a shot in my heart.

I chuckled to myself before looking around the field at all the activity.

There was a creek at the end of the field, some calves approached it curiously but most were scared of it.

"Even murky water looks good to me right now." I commented and Aaron chuckled.

"It's not that hot, at least it's not humid."

"Well excuse me, forgetting who's survived a Texan summer huh? I'm not complaining." I raised a brow and he smiled.

"Besides that's running water it's not murky." Aaron corrected further and I tsked before hitting him on the arm.

I eventually stood up as a few people approached the shelter. I had to carefully navigate the calf covered ground before leaning against the fence.

"Dude, what happened??" A man's alarmed voice took me by surprise, and I smiled tensely when I realised he was looking at my gunshot wound.

"Gun." I replied simply, smiling politely as Anna and another girl walked up to me too.

Helppp.

"You don't just ask people that Jacob." The new girl tsked and I chuckled.

"It's fine I don't mind."

"Really? I mean I don't remember those scars when I last met you, you know..." Anna then pointed to her eyes and chuckled awkwardly.

"Oh right, same incident, knife..." I paused. Huh maybe I don't like to talk about it.

I turned and smiled as Aaron approached us. He put the brush back in the box behind them. "Hey, haven't seen you in a while." He addressed the man, making them turn around to face him instead.

"Oh yeah, I don't volunteer much anymore, my jobs gotten a bit hectic." Jakob responded and I turned away to look at some calves.

Just slowly...inch away...

"I've definitely seen you before, handsome." The other girl smiled at me.

"Possibly, I've been here twice before." I replied and she took a step towards me.

Welp clearly isn't going to let me escape.

"Yeah, your face is pretty hard to forget." She smiled and I bit the inside of my cheek.

Is that...a flirt?

"You mean the scars?"

"No I think I saw you before those... they're kinda hot too though." She said with a cheeky grin and Anna snorted before elbowing her.

"Chloe, he has a boyfriend." She fake whispered with a giggle.

Nooo why would you just out me like that.

Chloe went wide eyed and chuckled. "Whattt, I had no idea. Sorry."

"Wouldn't have expected you to, don't worry." I raised a brow with a smirk.

"No I mean, gay, I mean, unless you're bi, then you know, one less obstacle, I can deal with that." She chuckled and I looked to see Aaron raising a brow at her.

Anna just started cackling and Chloe looked a little concerned.

"What's funny?" She smirked, then paused. "Do you know his boyfriend or something?" She wondered and I smiled at Aaron in amusement.

"Uh, he's behind you." I said and she turned around, Aaron smiled at her politely before she made a strange shrill noise.

"What?? I'm being pranked!" She yelled, and I winced.

Why so loud.

"You're gay??" Jakob looked at Aaron in shock.

Uh oh.

"I'm sorry!" Chloe was bright red, putting her hands on Aaron's arm dramatically and he looked a little overwhelmed by two people talking to him at once.

"Uh yeah I guess." He answered then chuckled at Chloe. "It's fine, you were joking." He reassured and she nodded.

"Yeah! Totally I was just messing around I-mean-I- wouldn't-have-said-that-if-I-knew-I-swear!!"

"Oh so you'd only do it if he wasn't around?? You're nasty!" Anna chuckled and I just blinked at them as they practically bounced around, noticing the man still in a state of shock.

I watched him cautiously, but after a few moments of contemplation, he eventually smiled again and rejoined their excited conversation.

Phew...

I smiled at Aaron as he watched the two girls with an amused raised brow.

If anyone even looks like they'll say something bigoted to him I swear to god I'll kick them so hard in the stomach they'll throw it up.
Good luck talking shit then, assholes.

Am I being antisocial right now...maybe I should act amused instead of like I'm about to bolt.

I frowned down at one of the calves taking a nap at my feet. I'm tired.

"Hey." Aaron putting a hand on my arm made me look up, and he smiled at me.

"What's up?"

"Let's head down to the water to cool off." He suggested. "See you guys later."

"Bye! Please don't hate me! Wait what is your name I don't even know?!" Chloe gasped and Anna grabbed her arm.

"Just call him Aaron's boyfriend and maybe it will keep you in check!" She remarked and I chuckled.

Please don't.

"It's Riley." I smiled politely before following Aaron down the field.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry they're making you uncomfortable." Aaron apologised and I shook my head.

"It's fine, they're not."

"You don't seem to like it when our relationship is mentioned, perhaps it was too early?"

"No! No it's alright, I just wasn't expecting to be...so open so soon, I mean, it's only been a few hours since we agreed to it and I've already had to tell so many people..."

"That tends to be what happens when you meet new people, they want to know about you."

"Yeah...I guess it's just bad timing." I sighed, noticing him frowning down at the floor.

We stopped at the edge of the water and I chewed on my lip for a few moments.

"I'm sorry, it's not the relationship part." I reassured, and he frowned at me. "I don't like having to out myself all the time."

"When I met you you were open about it? I didn't realize you didn't like it."

"I just... I'm tired of meeting bad people, I just don't want to know. I don't want to give people a reason to show me they're bad. I want a break from seeing... humanity." I sighed.

"Sunshine, we're at an animal sanctuary, what kind of people are you expecting?" He raised a brow.

"I know, but anyone can have bad morals. A 'good person' can have hurtful views. An animal lover can be homophobic, a gay ally can abuse animals. Heck even an animal 'lover' can abuse animals. You can't tell unless you put them in that situation, and I'd rather not make myself vulnerable." I admitted and he smiled sadly at me.

"I guess I know that more than most people, working with some of the rescues here." He sighed. "I understand, you don't have to tell anyone, although I think the people we've told already might do a pretty good job on their own."

"It's alright, I'm sure they won't tell anyone they don't think is okay with it."

"Besides, there are lgbt couples that work here, I'm sure the homophobic people have already been weeded out." He smiled at me reassuringly, and I smiled warmly back.

"Yeah, you're right." I let out a heavy breath, watching the water.

I didn't really take notice of Aaron leaning down and gathering something, until a cold splat hit my chest.

I gasped and looked at him in shock as he smirked at me.

"What did I tell you about throwing shit!"

"It's mud!"

"In a cow field!"

"They have only been here half an hour, it's just dirt." He chuckled and I glared at him before reaching down to grab some.

I threw it at him just as he threw another one at me, hitting the side of my neck.

"Rude! It's cold and wet." I pouted in complaint and he chuckled.

"Just what you wanted!"

"I wanted water!" I growled moving into the creek and splashing water at him. I blocked two mud balls with my arms before grabbing a chunk and slapping it over his back as he collected more.

He grabbed my ankle as I did and pulled it out from underneath me making me land in the mud.

"Asshole!" I growled, throwing handfuls at him as he laughed at me.

I paused for a few moments, leaving an opening and tripping him with my feet when he moved to drop mud on me. He fell back into the creek causing a large splash.

"Hah!" I snorted as he resurfaced from the water, his hair covering his face making me chuckle.

"You think you're sly huh?" He smirked, grabbing my legs and pulling me in.

I grabbed at the dirt with not much luck and grit my teeth as he picked me up by the waist.

"Don't you dare!" I warned as he dragged me into deeper water and then dropped me.

I coughed a little from taking in water and gasped from the cold.

"Evil!"

"That's what you get when you take on someone you can't beat." He teased and I scoffed, sloshing more water at him.

"What are you two doing?" Krista, the southern girl chuckled at us from the shoreline and I smiled at her.

"He fell in." Aaron lied and I tried to dunk his head underwater.

"Okay, checks out." She chuckled, taking her shoes off and wading into the other side of the creek.

"My skin is numb." I said as I started to stand up, but he leaned forwards and pushed me back down. "Don't drown me!" I complained and he chuckled.

He continued to lean towards me and I picked up on the mood change, smiling a little as I met him in the middle. I closed my eyes, gently sucking on his bottom lip as I kissed him. I felt my face go red as he continued, trying to stop myself from smiling bashfully.

He put his arm around my back to stop me going underneath the water, and ran his tongue along my bottom lip, making shiver.

Well then...

Hhh, not here...

I gradually turned the kisses lighter as I began to feel self conscious, then suddenly flipped him around and dunked him underwater.

I burst out laughing as he quickly resurfaced, gasping in shock.

"Riley." He growled and I chuckled, dodging as he tried to grab me and wading out of the water.

My clothes...a dry shirt isn't going to do me much good. I looked down at my muddy and wet skin and clothing.

Love soggy shoes. Best feeling ever.

Ugh.

I watched him as he stood and walked out towards me, moving his hair back out of his face.

I bit my lip and looked away, a group of calves were looking at me curiously.

"Cuties." I chuckled as one touched the water then proceeded to bounce around and moo in excitement.

"We should probably wash off the remaining mud in the shower." Aaron said, gently nudging me in the direction of the gate.

"Shower?"

"In the on call room, I also have spare boxers in there." He explained and I frowned.

"You go on call?"

"Not for a while, but I used to spend a lot of nights here. Nothing usually happens, but it's just in case. Not the most exciting job."

I grabbed my shirt and phone and then looked back at the calves as we exited the gate and smiled at them.

"Don't get too attached now, don't think you'll be adopting a bull any time soon." Aaron teased and I chuckled.

"I don't think I'll afford to adopt anything any time soon." I commented before walking after him.

We entered the side of a renovated farm house. The front was a restaurant, but there was a partly hidden door leading to small living quarters.

It was pretty modern, obviously new, and had a bed and cupboard in one corner with a tiled bathroom in the other corner.

I paused, taking note of the open shower layout.

Do I wait outside or...

Oh he's getting undressed okay.

He took his shoes and trousers off but left his boxers on, turning the water on.

Oh okay, yeah makes sense.

Behave normally please.

"There's plenty of room, hurry up we have things to do." Aaron prompted and I smirked before taking my trousers off.

"More things? I'm going to die of exhaustion." I complained as I finished undressing and walked into the shower stream.

"Not work, just things to enjoy." He smiled at me and I tilted my head.

"... Kay." I chuckled, concentrating on getting the mud marks off.

He made a noise of complaint before fiddling with the shower head and turning up the pressure.

"That doesn't clean you faster you know." I smiled and he chuckled.

"It helps with my hair." He said, trying to run his hands through it and making a face.

"You might need to put conditioner on that." I commented and he sighed.

"Definitely."

"So high maintenance." I teased and he smirked. I reached down and grabbed the bottle, handing it to him with a smile.

"Thanks." He smiled, looking away and immediately using it.

Why is he in such a rush...

Is this the pace people usually have in the shower?

Maybe I'm the one that's high maintenance...

I like showers...how do you not like showers? They're nice to enjoy and stand in while you have your daily existential crisis.

I stood there a little lost on what to do...kind of already done...minus the extremely uncomfortable briefs.

I chuckled at him as he scrubbed the conditioner in and he gave me a look.

"What?"

"Nothing, I just like your hair." I bit my lip and he raised a brow at me.

"I currently hate my hair." He complained, and I moved forwards and ran my hands through it making him tense. He made a face as I rubbed the soap in with an amused grin. "You're bizarre." He complained and I chuckled.

I stepped back as he washed it off, and eventually turned the water off.

What exactly do I do now.

"Hoping there are someone else's jeans in the drawers because mine won't fit you." He commented as he walked over to them dripping everywhere.

"Wow just flood the whole room why don't you." I chuckled and he grabbed a towel from the rack after fishing out some underwear.

"Not your style I know." He smirked as I looked down at the boxers he threw me.

"These are yours right not some strangers?" I questioned.

"Yeah, not like that matters much though? They're clean." He said.

"...uhh..." I made a face and he chuckled.

"They're all mine, that's my drawer." He said as he went through a different drawer.

"So you're currently snooping in someone else's stuff?" I wondered as he brought out a pair of jeans.

"I'm sure they won't mind, whoever they are." He said, handing me them.

"Hm..." I frowned at them. Well, seeing as they're plain black I probably won't be caught red handed so whatever.

I tried not to visibly react when he just took off his underwear in front of me.

Naked man!

I turned around while gritting my teeth.

He's just going to change in front of me, I mean... he's done that before at home what's the difference here.

Okay don't over analyse it, act normal.

I'm being normal. I'm just and adult... getting changed.

Not over thinking.

I'm thinking a normal amount.

What are you doing.

Do something.

Right, get changed.

Uh...take briefs off.

Eh...

If you don't do it you'll seem odd.

He'll notice you're flustered.

You have to be normal.

Normal!

You just don't look at eachother. That's common behaviour.

Godamnit Riley just get fucking changed.

Control your eyes.
Omg I looked, what am I doing.

Is that a tattoo? On his thigh?

What a weird place to put-

"Riley??" Aaron's voiced questioned, sounding half amused half scandalised.

"What?" I blinked, looking up to see him raising a brow at me. "I'm sorry! I just noticed the tattoo I swear!" I chuckled, turning away and trying to put the dry boxers on quickly.

Ah fuck I dropped the towel!

Get a hold of yourself!

"Yeah, and I'm just noticing the birth mark, I swear." He commented and I gasped, standing up straight and giving him a look.

"Excuse me!" I yelled, throwing the towel at him and he chuckled.

"Don't be immature." He brushed it off and I narrowed my eyes at him.

Sure, say that now.

I quickly put on the borrowed jeans and my top before collecting my wet shoes.

"What do I do about shoes?" I asked as Aaron was busy drying his hair.

"Let them dry in the sun, we'll probably survive until the grass area."

"Barefoot?"

"Yeah sure, the path is cleaned and swept everyday."

"Sure, if I get tetanus from a nail I'll spread it to you." I said and he chuckled.

"Hmmm, not sure that's how that works."

"I'll find a way!" I smirked, before walking out into the restaurant area. I sighed to myself, making my way outside and standing in the sun.

Aaron joined me a few moments later, and I followed him to a large grassy area with a few trees and benches. He placed his shoes on the end of the path, and walked onto the grass over to a tree.

I smiled at him as he sat down underneath it.

"Aw, tired out?" I teased and he rolled his eyes at me.

"Just enjoying the cool shade and warm breeze." He smiled.

I walked next to him, but instead of sitting beside him I settled down on top taking him by surprise. He quickly adjusted to my plan though and wrapped his arms around my waist as I leaned against him. I felt his head on my shoulder and smiled.

He kissed my temple gently, making me chuckle at the feeling of his wet hair.

"You're cute." He said, the vibrations of his voice making me shiver.

"You want to start a fight?" I questioned, trying to look back at him and he chuckled.

"No..." He mumbled, giving a relaxed sigh. "...Your ego has taken enough hits today." He teased and I smirked.

"Suree."

There were several moments of silence, just enjoying the breeze and the peace.

"Have you thought about next week yet?" Aaron asked eventually and I sighed.

"What part of it? The surgery? The trial? Or getting kicked out?"

"Technically the surgery is this week." He said and I tsked, feeling a jolt of nerves. "And you're not getting kicked out."

"I don't like hospitals." I mumbled to myself as I worried.

"You won't be there long, how are those two hospital friends of yours doing anyway?"

"Oh, Kiba and Genevieve." I chuckled. "They seem fine, we have a group chat now." I smiled.

"Fast friends huh, don't understand if you're an introvert or not."

"Definitely an introvert." I snorted, then sighed heavily. "I wish I didn't have to go to court. Why can't they do it without me." I complained and Aaron sighed too.

"I don't think you're ready for the trial, Chance said there's a small chance it can get suspended given current events, but it's at the mercy of the judge."

"Suspended..." I sighed. "I might just want to get it over with... although maybe it would be good to have both trials near the same time."

"Well then you'd have to be in two countries at once." He reasoned and I shrugged. "The nutcases trial isn't for months though, you'd want it over with before then."

I chuckled at his avoidance around Finn's name and shook my head.

"I'd rather drop both cases." I bit my lip, and he gently nuzzled his head into the side of my neck making me chuckle.

When Finn's case comes around...it may be me that goes to prison as well, depending on what his blackmailing material actually includes. But if I still haven't heard anything about it...maybe he didn't have anything concrete after all. "I want to not show up at least...Skip it..." I sighed.

"You know you can't." He muttered and sighed, his breath against my skin making me shiver slightly.

"Who's going to make me? I'll be kicked out by then anyway."

"You're not getting kicked out." He grumbled and I chuckled.

"How would I not be? I can't hang around a house I'm not welcome in."

"You can, you're welcome in my part of the house." He said and I snorted.

"Okay, I'll just stay in your room and climb out your window."

"I'm sure you're welcome in the brothers part of the house too."

"Sounds good, I'll just not touch the hallway or the kitchen and make sure to hide in basement every time your father visits." I laughed. "Not sure that's very sustainable."

He sighed again, tightening his grip around my waist, and I titled my head to try look back at him.

"I don't want to leave, but I have to." I stared down at the floor.

"I won't let you." He stated and I chuckled.

"Good luck with that." I smiled and he gripped me even tighter making me chuckle. "Unless you're never going to let me go I don't think you're achieving anything."

"I won't." He muttered and I smiled.

I tensed a little as his hand moved across my waist and he suddenly loosened his hold.

"Are you okay?" He asked and I frowned to myself.

I turned to look back at him, noticing his worried frown.

"I'm great, why?"

"I'm not sure I should be touching you like that." He said and I frowned, then chuckled, trying to hide my irritation.

"Why?" I raised a brow.

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

I blinked at him for a few moments, trying to process.

"You won't. I'm not uncomfortable."

"How would I know that..."

"How about..." I paused and clicked my tongue, trying not to seem pissed off. "You assume I'm normal and then I'll tell you if I'm uncomfortable, rather than assuming my reaction." I smiled, possibly a little too much.

He blinked at me, seeming a little anxious. "I've made you angry." He said cautiously and I chuckled.

"I'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the conversation." I said and he just stared.

I sighed. "I get a rush of feelings and defensiveness when that topic is brought up, but I'm not angry at you." I explained, he watched for a few more moments before smiling.

"Okay... I'll try think you're normal but you're definitely not, you're an odd one." He smirked and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Says you, guinea pig man." I smirked and he quirked a brow.

"You're the one that owns one, not me, you're the guinea pig." He said and I laughed.

"I'm the guinea pig?" I raised a brow and he paused, realising his sentence didn't make sense.

"Yeah, I'll go with that instead." He chuckled, smiling at me warmly. I noticed his hands around my waist were still hesitant, and tssked.

I pushed myself up to turn around on his lap, straddling him. His expression held mostly amusement, but definitely also a little panic.

I chuckled at him before leaning in and gently kissing him. I savoured the warm softness, and eventually leaned back, looking at his equally warm and soft expression.

I smiled at him fondly, brushing a strand of hair behind his ear.

He gently put his hands around my waist, and I raised a brow as one dipped under my top slightly.

"So you'll tell me if I make you nervous?" He asked and I chuckled.

"I dare you to try, I'm more likely to make you nervous." I smiled running a hand up his chest teasingly and he chuckled awkwardly.

"I doubt that." He mumbled and I shook my head before kissing him again. I felt both his hands travelling up my side gently, and I shivered when he brought them down again with a stronger grip.

"You're so cute and innocent." I broke away from his lips and chuckled at him, making him tilt his head.

"Are you trying to provoke me?" He wondered and I bit my lip.

"Why would I do that?" I smirked and he shook his head at me.

I kissed him again, then made a noise of surprise when he pushed forwards, making my back hit the grass as he leaned over me.

He raised a brow as I stared up at him, biting my lip trying to hide my smile. I kind of liked the feeling of him on top me, and chuckled to myself

"What are you laughing at?" He grumbled, then leaned down and gently kissed my cheek, and then my jaw, and down to my neck.

I shivered slightly, my eyes widening when he brought his hand under my top and up my chest.

Hot damn...

I tensed as his assault on my neck turned into light nipping and sucking, gasping a little and probably making a very scandalised face.

Where the fuck did this come from.

The feeling made me shiver, with his scent and strong presence above me creating a fuzziness in my chest.

Hot...

I absentmindedly started stroking my hand along his arm, appreciating the feeling of his tense muscle.

Don't get too worked up...

"Uh..." I tried to say something when his hand began exploring with a firm touch, pressing down on my chest and his thumb lightly grazing my- "ugf Aaron!" I was able to complain, my face hot as my body shivered in response.

He moved away and looked at me with a smirk, I just blinked at him, speechless.

My expression and the colour of my face seemed to amuse him plenty, and I eventually tried to scowl at him, but it only made him laugh.

"Something to say?" Aaron eventually prompted.

"We're in a public place." I managed to get out, and he chuckled.

He looked over to the dots of people in the distance, then back to me.

"Sure."

I raised a brow at him and he chuckled again.

"We should get on with our day..." He said eventually lowering his head. I put my hand around the back of his neck and pulled him closer to me, making him smirk against my lips.

I closed my eyes as the kiss deepened, running my tongue along his bottom lip and catching it teasingly with my teeth. I cautiously pushed my tongue into his mouth, exploring it when he didn't pull away.

He sighed, relaxing his position slightly and putting his weight down onto my lower half.

Easy now...

I felt a little rush of adrenaline when the kiss began to get a little heated, he tilted his head for a better position and gently cupped my jaw like he was trying to push me closer.

I gave a little moan as his position moved slightly, putting pressure on somewhere that I really didn't want to be reacting.

Ah fuck...

A loud whistle made me jump and Aaron immediately shot up, almost catching my lip.

"Eyy Aaron has pulled go onn!" A brown haired younger man yelled with two other people beside him. I immediately blushed and tried to get out from underneath him.

Aaron just stared at him with a raised brow, I'm assuming it was fake irritation though, as this was obviously a friend.

The girl elbowed the man as I sat up and composed myself.

This is why I don't like PDA!

"Do you mind?" Aaron chuckled as I got my phone out and pretended to be on it as some kind of defence mechanism.

"Don't be giving the colts any ideas now alright." The man who obviously thought he was hilarious commented and I frowned as they continued down the path into the building.

I turned around to see some foals staring at us from behind the fence, then looked at Aaron with a smile.

I started laughing at his unimpressed expression and he eventually smiled at me fondly.

"We should probably get out of here." He stood up, brushing himself off then offering me a hand.

"Probably should, otherwise I'll begin to think you actually like being the topic of conversation." I chuckled.

"They don't gossip around here, nothing interesting happens."

"Everyone gossips. And that means they're going to take even more interest in you."

"I've never gossiped about anyone around here."

"I think that's because they got the accurate vibe that you weren't into that, love."

He brushed me off as he walked over to the fence line, picking grass for the curious foals.

I sighed, biting my lip. Kind of lucky they did come along, don't think either of us were going to stop that interaction ourselves.

I worry about freaking him out, I don't completely understand his sexuality. Is he interested in that? Surely he is... otherwise why would he initiate it.

But what if he feels pressured into it...

Don't be stupid....

Ugh. Why am I so insecure.

--

We ended up spending the rest of the day at the sanctuary, we visited every animal, often grooming them and giving them attention. Honestly I wouldn't want to do anything else with my life.

The utter feeling of peace and fulfilment I got when I was around just animals was incomparable.

Standing in a large grassy field with the sun and a light breeze, adorable animals wanting my attention and just Aaron by my side. I felt completely safe and content. I didn't want to leave.

Eventually my eye in the bright sun began to cause me pain, and I had to return to the car to get the eye patch.

We spent a long while down at the café with most of the people that helped out. It wasn't something I was keen on, but Aaron wanted to catch up with people.

They were all very friendly, obviously most were naturally shy, but the fact they were in their home territory surrounded by friends meant they were confident enough to harrass me for my life story.

They were all very curious about 'Aaron's new companion'. Apparently he'd never brought someone before, and obviously never talked about a relationship before. Most seemed convinced he was Ace, which made sense. They were also curious about my scars and curious about my accent, at the end of the day I was extremely worn out, both physically and socially.

We spent an hour in one of the higher meadows, talking about random things as the sun went down, surrounded by lambs and chickens.

I slept the whole way back, felt a little bad I was using Aaron as a taxi driver but definitely wasn't getting a license any time soon.

Yeah...not my fault, both horrendously bad coordination and a fucked up eye kind of gives me a get out of jail card on that one.

Once we got back I left Aaron fiddling with his car and muttering things and walked into the kitchen.

Caleb, Alex and Hunter were there, seemingly doing one piece of homework together...must be Caleb's as he was sitting in the middle.

They were discussing things I didn't understand so I stayed silent as I got a drink.

"Oh hey Riley!" Caleb smiled up at me, enthusiastically, obviously wanting a break.

"Arrr." Alex made a strange noise when he saw me and I tilted my head at him.

Oh.

I gave him a look then chuckled as I took the eye patch off.

"Forgot about that.."

"Forgot about a whole entire eye in darkness? Can you really not see anything?" Hunter questioned.

"Not in the dark, night blindness." I sighed, walking over to them.

"Where were you all day anyway?" Alex asked me as Aaron came through the door. "Oh."

I turned around and smiled at him, he observed the others in the room before just looking away.

Hmm...

Yeah I guess that's a wise decision.

I turned back to the others with a yawn. "Tired." I said mostly to myself and leaned on my arms.

"You guys hungry?" Aaron asked and Hunter looked up with wide eyes. He subtly placed his sandwich under the table.

"Yes! Haven't ate yet." He said with an exaggerated nod and I raised a brow.

Why would he lie about that...

"Oh okay, want me to make you something?"

"Yeah!" Alex chirped and I smiled.

Ah right, free food, got it.

"Do you mind helping Sunshine?" Aaron asked while rooting through the fridge and I gave a subtle sigh before standing up.

I'm tireeeed, and not hungry.

"Sure thing." I smiled at him when he turned to give me some vegetables. He gave me an amused, knowing expression and I chuckled.

"Just washing and peeling things nothing too strenuous... where'd Alex go?" Aaron wondered when he looked over to the others.

"Probably avoiding doing chores." Hunter replied while chewing on the end of a pencil. "He wasn't being very useful here and could obviously sense you were about to ask him to do something." He added and Caleb shook his head.

"He was giving moral support." Caleb defended and I chuckled.

"Hmm." Aaron grumbled, seeming unimpressed and I smiled.

"I'm sure I can pick up the slack." I commented and he smiled at me.

He stood behind me and I paused when he wrapped his around my waist. "Not when you can't see the chopping board." He said against my ear, kissing my neck as I blushed crimson. "Don't think fingers are vegan." He added and I chuckled.

Umm he's either forgotten the room isn't empty or deemed these two harmless enough.

I guess it was just Alex he was being cautious around, that does make sense...

"One eye can see the board just fine." I complained and he hummed, I turned around in his grip and he kissed me, making me smile at him brightly as a warm floaty feeling filled my chest.

God help me.

I should care about being found out right now.

"Um, cute." Caleb commented and I looked at him. They were both staring at us, Hunter's expression was contained but Caleb was clearly a little surprised with red cheeks.

"Sorry." I apologised but Aaron just kissed the side of my head before turning around and getting on with it, not seeming to care.

Uh...is he going with the 'pretend this is normal' approach?

I wasn't sure what to do, but decided to not say anything and carried on.

Caleb just chuckled and looked at Hunter, who shrugged at him. I couldn't quite hear what they whispered to eachother but eventually Caleb just nodded and got on with his work.

Wow, adaptable.

The rest of them definitely won't be that easy. I guess in a way Caleb already saw us acting like that, and we already spoke to Hunter about it.

I smiled at them, glad there were some pairings that didn't cause tension in the house.

Eventually Alex came back, with Nate in tow. I walked back over to them once I was done helping.

"Where you been?" Nate wondered when he noticed me next to him.

"Sanctuary." I answered simply and he nodded.

"Okay, you smell great for a farm worker though." He smirked and I shook my head at him, leaning away slightly in discomfort.

Alex scowled at him and he just smirked, before Hunter distracted them with a comment about a video game, I think.

I felt a little too tired to try get involved and sat there silently.

Caleb eventually put down his pen and smiled at me.

"You alright?" He asked quietly.

"I'm great, just tired, busy day." I smiled at him and he chuckled at me.

"I bet." He said with a quirk of his brow and I tilted my head.

"What does that mean?"

"Nothing." He shrugged and I shook my head at him.

"Shut up." I said with a smile and he put his hands up.

"What did I do?"

"Mhm." I brushed him off before looking down at his paper. "What is that..."

"Molecular science test." He replied, I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not.

"Okay... whatever that is." I mumbled and he smirked.

"Don't worry about it." He chuckled and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What are you two talking about?" Alex butted in.

"The location of Riley's missing braincells." Caleb replied casually and I snorted.

"Well I say, how rude." I scoffed with only slightly fake offense.

"Don't worry Riley, we like you for other reasons." Alex nodded his head solemnly and I tssked.

"You're a bunch of twats." I huffed. "You don't know what that homework is either." I protested with a pout and Caleb chuckled.

"Well the mystery of Alex's missing braincells was solved a few years ago after the skating incident." Caleb said matter of factly and Alex hit him.

"Oi!" He complained as I laughed.

"You lot better not start fighting before you've even started eating." Aaron complained as he brought some plates out.

Nate and Hunter immediately darted up and ran towards the food making me smirk.

"Don't take more than a serving! There's not enough for double helpings." Aaron warned.

"Someone can have mine." I sighed, putting my head on my crossed arms tiredly.

"Not happening." Aaron's voice close to me made me look up as he placed a plate down infront of me. "Eat it." He ordered when I just stared at it and I smiled.

"Fine." I pulled it towards me slightly and that seemed to satisfy him, I smiled at his pleased expression as he turned around to deal with the others.

Cute.

My cheeks hurt...

---

--

Ugh I'm so sorry about the lack of updates, seems the world is against me when it comes to writing.

First it was the moving house, but after that I have developed a really odd illness that has brain fog as a pretty consistent symptom. Ever tried writing with a fuzzy head, it's pretty damn hard.

I've been sitting on mostly complete chapter for a while now, but I started to let the pressure get to me, a few negative comments and people pressuring me to complete the book as soon as possible made me anxious and have negative connotations of publishing, so I avoided it.

I've eventually managed to remind myself of the people who enjoy the book when it's written at my own pace, I'm sorry I forgot about you guys. Negative feedback just stays with you so much easier than positive which is a damn shame

I'll always love this book and will finish it when it was meant to be finished, please, avoid telling me how you want it to finish soon and asking how many chapters are left, it really pressures me, if you're bored, don't read it.i ask this not just for me but for the people who want to see me update, because every time I get a comment like that it makes the chapter take longer to publish

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

721 98 12
Someone said: "You don't know the value of something, or someone, until they are taken away from you." Wise words to live by. All my life, I've love...
14.7K 238 24
Alex returns to his home town or now city. It's his first time in university, with his old best friend Leah. He finds himself stuck with a roommate...
799 67 21
Riley is going to turn seventeen and was excided to plan everything. Everything was going his way, but not everything always has a happy.ending, thin...
54.3K 2.1K 36
Myles is comfortable happy where he is, a family who loved him and a best friend who accepts him. After his break-up with his four year long boyfrien...