To Love A Myth - Book 2: Mr...

By strawberryichigo15

After four years of Merida Dunbrough serving Higgs Northumberly as his maid, it's quite clear to everyone tha... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49

10

65 9 0
By strawberryichigo15

Edgar ran inside the house, practically jumping into Merida's outstretched arms and they tumbled to the ground. He was shaking and Merida made him look up at her.

"Ye alright, lad?"

"No!" he practically screeched in her face.

She laughed. "Aye, ye got yerself a tagalong I see."

"He was gonna kill me!"

"Aye, that be true. Marlow, take Edgar to the kitchen, will ye?"

"What are you going to do? Don't tell me you're going out there!"

"Edgar, quit yer bleetin, lad. Cú-síth are fairies and all fair folk have the same weaknesses." She walked over to the fireplace and grabbed the fire poker from the stand. "Sorry, Laird Kans, this will hurt muckle bad."

**************************

Kans came at Higgs, biting into one of his tails. Higgs howled in pain and tried to get his uncle off of him, but Kans was abnormally strong for his small size. Then again, he was also a harbinger of death and anything in that category ended up being almost five times stronger than usually and definitely much stronger than Higgs at the moment. After fighting for a bit, Higgs was finally able to get his uncle off of him, flinging him across the hill and over the side of it. While it was taking Kans a bit to get back up, Higgs started to shrink down, his kitsune form unable to hold any longer. It was only recently that he could turn into the full nine-tailed fox, so his stamina was low. Kans jumped back over the hill and headed towards Higgs. Higgs stood up, in his human form, and held out his hand.

"Foxfire!" he yelled as a stream of green flame erupted from his palm and hit Kans square in the face.

The cú-síth walked right through it like he was walking through thick fog. Higgs breathed in, knowing his time was imminent. Kans snarled at his nephew and Higgs closed his eyes, gathering all of his strength to try and transform one last time. As Kans jumped into the air, Higgs closed his eyes harder, getting ready for impact when there was a loud thud and a shrill whimper that echoed the night. Higgs opened his eyes and found Merida holding the fire poker in both hands, looking like she was coming out of a backswing.

"Merida..."

"Who said that golf was only for men? I wanna see ye come off the backswing like that, Fearghas!" she yelled into the night.

"What the hell?!" Higgs screamed, standing back up. "What the hell are you doing out here?"

"I may not be a Northumberly but I ken a bit about the Fae-folk. Ye're getting weak, milaird."

"What's that-"

"Physically, ye nunce. Ye almost got yer head taken slam off an I hadnae come to yer aid. Ye're tired and I'm here to help ye. Asides, looks like ye green flame doesnae make him afeart nor does it do ye any good. I ken a bit about the Fae to know that raw iron will work like a charm. May not hold him down complete until sunrise, but by god he'll be bruised to hell and have a rash for days."

"A rash?"

Merida held up a small satchel hanging around a belt that Higgs hadn't notice. "Salt."

Higgs laughed, amazed at this brilliant and fearless woman who came out to fight one of the strongest cú-síth creatures with an iron poker and a sack of salt. Just then, Kans leapt back over the hill and started circling them.

Higgs sighed. "Give me time to try and transform one more time. Don't yourself hurt in the process."

"Aye, milaird."

"Let's give him hell."

*************************

Dawn broke over the horizon and Kans opened his eyes. He moaned and went to move but found that his whole body was screaming in pain. It was on fire as well as sore as hell.

"What in the world..."

He tried to move again, but moving anything was proving extremely difficult. He eventually was able to sit up and found that he was not in his own bed.

"Oh, bullocks, where am I?" he asked the empty room.

Just then the door opened and Merida walked in. He squinted, only seeing her red hair.

"Merida?"

"Aye; ye awake now?"

"Yes... what's going on? Where am I? Why is it hard to see?"

"Cú-síth."

"Oh." It suddenly hit him what she meant and he gasped. "Who did I hurt?"

"Ye didnae hurt anyone, per se, but ye sure pushed us past our limits. Me and Mr. Higgs are definitely muckle sore. Ye chased Edgar all the way home, making him work overtime to get away from ye. Seems he was about when he barked and got caught in yer crosshairs. He lost his horse somewhere coming up the hill an that gives ye the time he had. Then he trampled me in the doorway but I had to help Mr. Higgs since he was getting defeated by ye. He hasnae been able to turn into that fox like that for long, so ye were overpowering him. But, Faefolk are Faefolk; a good clobbering with an iron fire poker and a dash of salt to keep ye howling was enough to keep ye getting stronger."

"You beat me up with an iron poker and some salt?" he asked with a lift of his eyebrow.

"Aye."

Kans started laughing even though it really hurt and then started coughing as he choked on his own saliva.

"I'm honestly quite impressed! I mean, I knew you were spunky but dear lord, woman!" He kept laughing until his sides hurt even more and his body just couldn't take the jarring motion anymore. "Iron and salt... How Higgsy? I didn't hurt him too bad, did I?"

"Last I remember I had to help him up the stairs. Took us forty-five minutes to get up those blasted steps because he could hardly move his legs. Had to practically carry him up there myself."

"Are my eyes swollen from the salt or the iron?" he asked, pointing.

"Both, I'm sure. I kept throwing the salt in yer eyes to keep ye from focusing on the house. Ye were determined to get Edgar and ye werenae e'er to stop trying. I apologize."

"I hope I didn't hurt you that badly. My eyes are quite blurry so..."

"I'm battered and bruised, but nothing I havenae been afore. At least a good story comes out of this one: battling a cú-síth to save my adoptive son by practicing golf with an iron poker and cooking with salt is a good one to write to my brothers. They'll never believe me but it's a nice thought."

"I see."

"I'm about to go and get some ice at the ice house delivered up here for the both of ye. 'sides, I need to let Catherine ken of yer whereabout before she starts to bleetin about ye being lost or hurt."

"Thank you. I'm so sorry that I caused all this ruckus... You're a good woman, Merida, you know that?"

"So I've heard."

Merida started to leave. "I heard about you and Higgs from Fuchsia." She turned to him. "I wish things would have gone better."

"Ye dinnae worry about us." Merida said with a dismissive wave. "Mr. Higgs and I are fine and he's got Lady Hinkley to have a chance with."

Kans frowned. "And... are you alright with that?"

Merida smiled sadly. "I have to be. It's not my call, it's Mr. Higgs'. He doesnae think that the curse will take knowing about our feelings. As with ye, it's all his doubts that will cause the issue, not me. He believes that with Lady Hinkley, her ignorance makes for a good natural love to grow and will work for the curse."

"Is he an idiot? Doesn't he know that you don't care? I mean, you're practically together and you love him just as he is. So what if the curse backfires on him? He's got you, right?"

"Is that how ye felt when Catherine confessed to ye? Did ye see the logic?"

"I... guess not. We forget own faults at times. I've mentioned it to you before."

"Aye, I ken ye. I dinnae take offense. I see where ye are coming from, experiencing it yerself, but as ye also did, ye didnae take yer own advice. All I can do right now is be there for Mr. Higgs in whatever way he wants me to be and in whatever way I can. An it fails or succeeds, I'll be here until he tells me to go."

"You are a stubborn woman."

"Aye, that I am." They both smiled. "I'll let Marlow ken yer awake and bring ye some breakfast. I'm heading down to get ice and Catherine."

"Thank you and I'm so sorry about everything."

"Ye Northumberly lads are never short of an adventure and I could never have a dull day with any of ye. I quite enjoy it but I dinnae ken Edgar much did. He was already muckle upset and then he got chased by a cú-síth... An anyone needs an apology it's him."

"Once I get where I can walk again I will make sure to properly apologize to him."

"I'll make sure to tell Marlow to bring up clothes for ye as weel."

"Thank you."

**********************

Merida paid the man to deliver the ice and started to head towards the house that Catherine and Fuchsia were staying in. She tried to keep her pain at bay, but moving her legs was becoming unbearable. All she wanted was to sit down, but she had a job to do. As she walk-hobbled along, a carriage went by and then sounded like it stopped a little past her. Merida turned as the door opened and a woman stuck her head out.

"Ms. Dunbrough?" Merida tried not to visibly snarl. "I *thought it was you." Elizabeth got out of the carriage and walked briskly to her. "Lucky meeting you out here on this fine morning."

"A morning it is."

"Lady Hinkley?" Gretchen said, leaning out of the carriage. "Oh, it's you."

"Good morning is customary, Gretchen." Merida quipped.

"Good morning. Lady Hinkley, the fittings?"

"Oh, go about, Gretchen. Tell the driver to take a lap around the square and I'll see what I want to do then. Could you give me a moment's peace for once?" Elizabeth said, exasperated.

"With that?" she said, pointing at Merida.

"Well she very well cannae sit that long when yer nose is so far up her arse. Take it out and let the lady have a stroll. Let her dainty feet touch the walkway." She said with a small jab at her status.

Gretchen caught the offense but was still fuming over the brownnosing joke.

"My lady, if you find peace with that thing, then I give you all the graciousness in the world. Bazzel, take a stroll around the square. Make it leisurely."

The coachman nodded and snapped the reins as the two women watched her go. Elizabeth shook her head.

"My goodness, she is sometimes so exhausting. I know she was hired to keep me on my Ps and Qs, but gracious, she is demanding at times."

"Those things sometimes do that."

Elizabeth giggled. "You're sometimes so wretched. Why do you dislike her so?"

"I didnae get a verra good impression on her when I found out she used to be under Mr. Higgs' employ. Her taste is tacky as well as her attitude. At least I own up to being a bitch."

"You're not like that at all... What brings you to the square by yourself at such an early hour?"

"I could ask the same of ye."

"I was to go to some fittings and they would have lasted hours. You?"

"I am here to get ice and grab Catherine."

"Catherine?" Elizabeth said with a hint of jealousy.

"Laird Kans' betrothed. He is Mr. Higgs' uncle?"

"Oh, I see." Merida started walking and Elizabeth walked with her. "So, I was thinking about what you mentioned last night and I believe I may have been a bit unreasonable in my original intent. I was just so excited about being able to be with him and getting more knowledge about his family that I got a little cocky."

"Ye're fine. No harm done."

"I was wondering what I could do to make it up to him for being so forward?"

"Oh, ye're fine, really. Considering who I am and how I act, Mr. Higgs is used to forwardness. Asides, as long as ye dinnae demand he reveal himself to the public like ye had wanted him to originally then all's weel."

"By the by, why were you getting ice? Not that it's any of my business and all, but it's odd to want two blocks."

Merida realized she wasn't going to be able to politely get rid of her, so she just decided to tell her what she was doing.

"We had to battle a cú-síth last night and so everyone's a bit sore. The coolness of the ice helps with the aches and pains."

"Cú-síth?"

"Aye, of the Fae folk. It's a large dog of sorts that works as a harbinger of death, like the Dullahan, but a dog."

"Is it also missing it's head?"

"No, unfortunately."

"So did this cú-síth just decided to pay you all a visit from the standing stones? What ancient god did you anger?"

"It's just Laird Kans."

"Lord Northumberly's uncle?"

"He is a Northumberly as weel."

"Oh! Wait, he turned into the creature?"

"Yes. Sometimes that's how it works, the curse and all. Laird Kans turned into the cú-síth and then chased after poor Edgar to the mansion. When he got there, he made it inside in time but Mr. Higgs had to keep Laird Kans from coming into the house. They fought for a verra long time and I came and helped because Mr. Higgs was in a form he isnae too used to yet."

"You helped Lord Northumberly with a death dog?"

"Aye; iron rod and salt."

"You... fought a dog-Dullahan with a fireplace poker and salt?"

"Aye, tis basic elements that hurt a fairy. Cannae get anymore pure than that."

Elizabeth leaned into Merida. "Do I have to do that?" she whispered.

Merida laughed. "An ye like but ye're not required. I'm just an angry lass and I dinnae like a bully, whether unkenned or no. Laird Kans is the sweetest man ye'll e'er come across when he's human but these transformations sometimes cause a right muckle mess of things and make them so horrible. Weesht, they can get cruel."

"Thank goodness... I was afraid I would have to do something like that to help."

"Like I said, an ye like to, but from what I gathered so far, as long as ye arnae afeart of them and their forms, ye should be alright. Ye can be afeart of what they do, but ye have to stand yer ground and not be afeart of what they are."

"I'm not exactly understanding what you mean?"

"When Mr. Higgs turned into the Dullahan the first time, I wasnae afraid of him, no head and all. It was quite comical actually... but later that night, what he has to do as the Dullahan scared me so badly that I kenned I might leave. But I didnae. I knew that Mr. Higgs himself wasnae that way at all and it was just a side effect of what he had turned into. Being afeart of what he did versus who he was seems to be alright."

They reached Catherine and Fuchsia's home and Merida turned to Elizabeth.

"Weel, here he ware and it looks like yer carriage is coming around the bed. Didnae ye have lots to do?"

Elizabeth looked behind her as the carriage was indeed coming around the corner.

"I do but... I can always get another appointment. I hate to be a bother and I'm sure you have much to do, but would it be too much trouble to ask if I could come with you today? If I'm trying to court Lord Northumberly then I should learn how to care for him regarding his many forms. I should know how to help, right?"

"Aye, that be so." Merida said as nice as she could muster.

"Plus, I have a carriage!" she said, displaying it just as it parked on the side. "It holds four. You, me, Gretchen, and Ms. Catherine. You look like you've been having a hard time walking all this time and I'm sure it's from all the activity from last night. Give your legs a rest for going back up the hill?"

Merida wanted to decline the offer but her legs were turning into jelly with each step and her arms felt like they would fall off any minute. As much as she disliked this besom woman, her stupid carriage was enticing enough.

"I guess it does make for a shorter trip... I'll ask Cat an she wouldn't mind being in yer coach."

"Great!"

Merida turned and knocked on the door. It opened quickly and Catherine looked at her with wide blue eyes and disheveled strawberry blonde hair.

"Merida! Kans! Edgar!" she yelled, unable to really form a sentence.

"Everyone is alright. Laird Kans chased Edgar all the way up to the mansion, but Edgar got there safe and sound."

"Oh, thank the heavens!" she said, leaning on the doorjamb. "I was so worried. No one was hurt, were they?"

"Weel, he wasnae going to let it go and so that meant Mr. Higgs and I had to fight him all night."

"What do ya mean ya?" Catherine looked her over and saw some bruises and by her stance, she could tell she was hiding pain. "Oh, yah, ya got a lot of bruisin' ya did. How did ya fight with him?"

"Iron rod and salt."

Catherine laughed. "Good old fashioned fae repellants..."

"Works everra time... Oh, by the by, this is Lady Elizabeth Hinkley. She's um... going to try and court Mr. Higgs."

Catherine tried to put on a nice face as she turned to Elizabeth. "Oh, how lovely."

"And she has offered us a ride in her carriage to take up to the mansion."

"Oh, how nice."

"It's lovely to meet you." Elizabeth said, holding out her hand.

"Likewise..."

"I know it's on short notice and a little bothersome, but if I'm going to be like you two, then I guess I have to jump into the fray, right?"

"Of course. Well then, I need ta leave a note for Fuchsia for when she awakes and get some proper clothes on."

"I'll wait in the carriage."

"And... I'll go with Cat."

Merida walked into the house and closed the door where she was met by Catherine's glare. She pointed out the window.

"Sin í an cailín?" she growled in Irish to Merida.

Even though Merida spoke Scots Gaelic, Irish was quite close and understood a little of it.

"Aye, yeah, that's her."

"I don't see the appeal."

"Weel, tis not my call anymore, Catherine. Blimey, what is with everyone getting on at me about Mr. Higgs' taste?"

"Have ya thought of maybe, I don't know, tryin' harder?" she growled as she put her hands on her hips.

"Oh, I'm sorry, have I not been trying hard enough for three bloody years?! Everyone acts like I havenae tried when it's not my place to tell the boy how to live his life! He kens the curse more than I ever could, so I follow his lead. He had three years to try and he didnae. When it all fell apart, he could have tried more but he didnae. True, I also could have tried, but I already ken it's not going to work. I wish everyone would stop asking me what went wrong when everyone should be asking him what his problem is!" she yelled.

Catherine sighed. "I'm sorry. Ya're right. It's not yar problem to deal with, it's his. I guess it's just that everyone sees it so plainly, ya see it plainly, and yet he... I don't know..."

"Believe me, no one is as... pissed as I am. An I kenned how to make it clear that us together wouldnae cause a problem, I'd find a way in a heartbeat, but he's chosen his way. I cannae change his mind now, especially since she wants to try and given him hope. He chose not the keep going, not me. Now, I have to do my duty as his closest and trusted friend and just be there for him an he needs me."

"I guess that's all ya can do... She seems quite the busybody."

"She's... too enthusiastic. I mean... I cannae really say anything since I probably looked how she does to me to Mr. Higgs when we first met. She's ambitious and seems eager to try and help but... I dinnae... I've got a weird feeling about her but I cannae put my finger on it."

"Aye, she gives me a strange feel as well. Oh well. Tá tú i bhfostú léi anois."

"Tha i gam iomain."

"Bhuel, rud maith amháin: má ghortaíonn sí Higgs is féidir leat í a mharú."

They both laughed and Merida sighed. "That may be true, but what if she works out? What will I do?"

"I hate ta say it, but it would be best that ya leave. Make any excuse; but if she works out, I have a feelin' she'd make yar life a livin' hell if ya stayed there. As I said, everyone knows how much sexual tension there is between ya and Higgs. If she gains control of his heart, don't ya put it past her ta use it against ya in every way."

"Do ye ken she'd do it afore they did nuptials?"

Catherine put her hands on Merida's shoulders. "Merida, ta rid a weed, ya have ta dig out its roots. Ta make him love her, she will have ta get ya out of the picture."

Merida nodded. "That may be true..."

"What are ya goin' ta do?" Catherine said with a face. "I can already see that ya aren't going ta take my advice."

"Leigidh tu leam na tha mi a 'dèanamh a dhèanamh."

"Is fearr gan a bheith fucked dó."

"Aye, that be true."

Catherine wrote her note, changed her clothes, and then they both went into the carriage to head up to the mansion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i read somewhere that scots gaelic and irish are close enough that they can kind of understand each other. it's just different variations. i might be wrong. if i am, then bleh, they can understand each other in this one mker?

anyhow, poor merida wishes everyone would stop talking about her failure with higgs. it's not her fault. he gave up and went somewhere else. she did all she could... oh well. what will happen now though?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.3K 1.1K 25
"will you be my wife?".....I still remember that day. When I was just Rooming around Hogwarts, when the reunion happened, after studying all 8 years...
3.2M 142K 46
In a world of monsters, is it possible to find the beauty in each other? Ice melts... Power ignites... Bonds forge... Just in tim...
36.4K 1.1K 93
Hermione Granger didn't really expect to live through the war, or at least she hadn't planned for what would come after. Now that it was over, she ha...
96.2K 1.5K 15
#1 hiccupxreader Warning: LEMON, also, following this story will put you in major FEELS! I didn't change Hiccup or Toothless's personally btw:) summ...