Chapter 7: Just Like Old Times

“KELSIE LEWIS! You get down here this instant!” My mom shouted from downstairs two hours later since I left the party.

          Oops. I forgot to pick up mom and Danny. I’m in big trouble.

          When I got home from the party, I changed into my PJ’s and began weeping silently on my pillow until no more tears could be shed. I think I cried for one and a half hour, but who’s counting?

          I got up from my bed and washed my face. My eyes were puffy and red and my nose looked bigger on account of all the crying I’d done. I hope no one notices.

          “I’m sorry, mom! I went home and forgot to pick you up. Please don’t ground me!” I pleaded as hard as I could.

          My mom had mercy on me and forgave me. “But the next time—”

          “Don’t worry mom, there won’t be a next time,” I assured her.

          “That car was the bomb!” Danny said, bursting through the door and startling me. “I hate to say this, but THANK YOU KELSIE!”

“For what?” because I swear I have no idea what he means.

“For leaving us at the party, Captain Obvious!” he rolled his eyes at me. “I gotta crash, see you all in the morning!” and he ascended the stairs.

          What is he talking about? Has he gone mental?

          “I have to sleep too. It’s been a long day,” my mom said “Just thank Jared for me. He’s waiting outside. Goodnight.” she went up to her room.

          Jared’s name sent a chill down my spine.

          Thank Jared for her? He’s waiting outside?

          Oh my god. JARED IS OUTSIDE MY HOUSE?

          I poked my head outside the cold, windy night. Sure enough, he was there. So was a sleek black BMW Z4. Now I know what Danny was talking about.

          He was standing on our lawn, staring at me as I looked at him in the awkward, embarrassing silence.

          “Uh, I’m sorry,” I apologized cautiously. After all, it was my fault in the first place. I was the one who drank gallons of punch and cocktail. “For what happened. At the party”

          “It’s cool. I mean, part of it was my fault.” I could see his cheeks turning red under the moon’s light.

            “No, it’s all mine. I was trying to find the bathroom,” I said sheepishly. “But then I opened the wrong door. So, I had to go home and I’m so, so, so sorry!!! I—”

          Then he put his finger on my lips, cutting me off mid-sentence. His touch sent a thrill through my spine. Swoon! I’m going to die!!!

          “Ssh! Why don’t we just forget that anything happened?”

          He took his finger from my lips and gave me one of those heart-stopping smiles. His cool fingers felt really good. That is, until he pulled it away.

          It took me about a minute to compose myself. Jared’s eyes were glued to mine the whole time, making me feel more self-conscious. So, childishly, I avoided his eyes and stared at the ground.

          Seconds ticked by and still he said nothing. This has got to be the most awkward position in the whole world! I mean here I am standing in front of the man of my dreams looking more or less like a total loser. I mentally sighed. What is wrong with me?