Chapter 5: Invitation

“WHAT’S WRONG?” Precious asked when I reached their table in the cafeteria. “You look like you’re ready to kill someone,” she offered me an apple which—being too mad to eat anything else—I immediately snatched from her hands.

          “Oh, I wish I could,” I said, taking a bite from the apple.

          “Amanda again?”

          “You think?” I said.

          Abby sighed. “What did she do now?”

I began to explain to them everything that happened in Biology class up until the part where Amanda showed up.

          “Just ignore them, Kels” Abby said. “You’re not gonna feel any better if you continue to fantasize about Jared. You should learn how to hang with other guys, girl.”

          “No, she should spend some time with Jared so that he can realize that Kelsie is his one true love and then he’ll dump that Amanda.”

          “Precious, this isn’t a fairytale. Not all girls get the man of their dreams.”

          “You don’t if you just sit around and do nothing!”

          Abby threw her hands up in the air. “I give up. You win this round.” She said to Precious who smiled triumphantly. “Bottom point: Kelsie, you aren’t committed to Jared in any other way aside from being friends. So do not be afraid to hang with other boys. The school is filled with super hot guys! You can have anyone you want.”

          Her eyes suddenly bulged out and said, “Except for that one.”

          We turned around just in time to see Jared, Seth and Brandon walking towards us. Amanda was already seated with the cheerleaders. I guess Jared won the argument.

          “Oh no, they’re coming towards us! What do we do?” Abby asked me, her lower lip trembling—a sign that usually denotes how nervous she is.

          “Just act natural.” I told her.

          “But I’ve never talked to Brandon before! Ever!”

          One would think that Abby would at least have an experience with boys because of the way she has been lecturing me about them. But no, my romantic history is just the same with Abby.

          “What’s wrong with you two? It’s just them,” Precious asked with confusion.

          “Yes, but Seth’s already your boyfriend. You don’t have any reason to feel awkward towards him.” Abby reasoned.

          “Hey guys—I mean girls” Seth said when they finally reached our table. Jared and Brandon laughed. “Mind if we sit here?”

          “Sure, go ahead” Precious said. Abby and I were too nervous to speak, considering that the men of our dreams are right in front of us.

          I can understand how Abby liked Brandon. He is simply gorgeous beyond description. His shaggy blond hair falls over his emerald-green eyes. He was wearing a brown t-shirt that has the words “For your security, this conversation may be recorded” in small blue letters, acid-washed jeans and a pair of Nike rubber shoes.

          “Brandon, this is Precious, Kelsie and Abby.” Seth said, pointing to each of us. I saw Abby’s smile stretch across her face. I know that she was thanking Seth for the introduction.