Chapter 28: I Wish I Could Hate You, Jared Sullivan

“SO? WHAT DO YOU THINK?”

I made a single twirl in front of my mom who was standing on the kitchen making herself some popcorn for when she watches America’s Next Top Model on our TV.

Abby, Prei and I spent a whole day at the mall the other day just to find the perfect dress for each of us. For me, we unanimously agreed that I would wear this romantic, fairytale-ish dress we found on the racks of one of my favorite designers, Sherri Hill. I swear when I walked down the stairs on this dress I felt like I was going to a fairytale ball or something. It was a gown of exquisite blush pink tulle and lace rosettes. The ballroom skirt was voluminous, yet light, with a taffeta cinched waist, tied at the back. I matched the dress with some diamond-studded, silvery white Alisha Hill stilettos. My hair was just as fairytale-ish as my dress, cleverly curled and styled into a loose updo. Brown ringlets with honey highlights framed my face. And a thin, silver, diamond-embellished hair band, matching silver necklace and stud earrings completed the outfit.

When she saw me in my dress, she nearly dropped the bowl of cheese-coated popcorn on the floor. Her mouth was so widely opened I could faintly see her tonsils.

“Oh. My. Gosh! What is this lovely creature doing in my house?” she started walking towards me, completely forgetting about her popcorn.

I giggled at my mom’s reaction.

She covered her mouth with her hands. “Oh, Kelsie. You look…” She exhaled heavily, her blue eyes sparkling in the dim kitchen light. “You look so beautiful! I cannot believe I have a daughter as beautiful as you are right now!”

“Oh, Mom. Don’t get me all dramatic, okay? I don’t want to ruin my make-up.”

“Sorry, sweetie. I just can’t help it. I bet all the boys in your school would drop their jaws to the floor when they see you.”

My cheeks turned pink and I felt embarrassed, in a good way. If that makes sense.

Just then, I saw Danny enter the room. He went to refrigerator, as usual, looking for something to fill his little stomach. He grabbed a milk carton and raised it to his lips. When he saw me standing in my dress, he did something I’d never expect. And that was he spit out his milk, and stared at me in shock.

My mom and I both protested at his disgusting behavior. “Danny!”

But Danny just ignored us, “Whoa. Kelsie? Is that really you?”

“Of course it’s me, you doofus.”

“You look sorta…hot. If you weren’t my sistah I would definitely consider on taking you out on a date.”

“EW!!! I’d rather stick my head in the toilet than go on a date with you. At least I’d be less repulsed.”

Danny clicked his tongue, said, “Whatever, babe. You don’t know what you’re missing,” and walked out of the room, gulping down the remains of his milk.

I rolled my eyes at him. “Ugh! Why am I even related to that obnoxious dork?!”

“Oh, forget him, Kels. You know how Danny is.”

“I wish his milk was spoiled,” I muttered.

“What was that?”

“Nothing,” I said in my most innocent-little-girl voice.

“So, when is Chase going to pick you up?” Mom said, changing the subject.

“Actually—”

As if on cue, the doorbell rang and I knew right away that it was Chase ready to pick me up for the V-day dance.

 “—right now.”