Chapter 4: Chemistry in Biology Class

“WOW, LOOK AT YOUR eye bags!” Abby exclaimed.

          We were at the hallway and I was arranging the books in my locker.

          “I had a bad dream last night,” I yawned. Man, nightmares make me feel tired! I didn’t even get enough sleep.

            “Where’s Precious?” I asked. Wasn’t she here right beside me just a second ago? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me and showing me holographic images?! Naah!

 “Oh, she just left. Didn’t you hear her leave?”

 “No,”

 “Well, she said she was going to Seth’s locker. They’re probably making out right now,” Abby said, sticking out her tongue.

            “Ew! You didn’t have to tell me that you know,” I said.                                                  

Abby giggled, “Yeah, I know. Just wanted to lift your mood up,”

“Yeah, thanks for telling me that our best friend is sucking faces with her boyfriend. I sure feel much better,” I said sarcastically.

We walked together to our next class that we have together but we weren’t even halfway through the hallway when we saw Seth and Precious. With Jared.

What on earth?!

 “Hey, Kelsie!” Seth called. He was spinning a big orange basket ball on the tips of his fingers. I always wondered how he could do that.

Seth was the basketball captain last year. He has dark brown hair and tanned skin. His height of six three makes me feel like a dwarf when I stand next to him. I wonder how Precious deals with that considering that she’s FOUR inches smaller than me. His blue-gray eyes looked at me. He was not actually my type but I have to admit Precious has good taste when it comes to boys. He was walking with his hand around Precious and right beside him was the man of my dreams.

“Have you met my bud, Jared?” he said punching Jared lightly on the arm.

 “Yeah,” I said nervously.

 “We’re on our way to our classes. You two wanna join us?” Precious said, raising an eyebrow up. I knew where she was getting at. I exhaled heavily. “Jared already walked his girlfriend to her class.” She whispered to me while raising her eyebrows higher as if to say, His girlfriend’s not here! Make a move!

 “Um, okay. Sure” Abby answered for me.

Precious and Abby nattered on and on with Seth chiming in occasionally. That left me and Jared silent.

I permitted myself to take one glance of him.

Big mistake.

There he was with those, sweet, irresistible dreamy blue eyes, skin flushed white, stretched over a tall, muscular frame and a face that was all sharp angles. All traces of childish roundness gone.

God, he was so cute I felt like I couldn’t breathe!

I took in his faded Diesel jeans and the pale yellow Oxford that he wore over a collared shirt. His Converse shoes completed his totally-laid-back outfit.

“Hey,” he said.

I wanted to yell at him. Why doesn’t Jared realize that I have trouble uttering words longer than two syllables when he’s around? Doesn’t he know the adoring effect he has on every girl in this school? And he’s only been in this school for two days! Plus, he has a girlfriend. What’s the matter with this boy?