Chapter 12: Jared and Chase

“LEWIS!” UH-OH! I know that voice anywhere. Please don’t tell me that’s Chase! I screamed in my head. Please. Please. Please. Please.

“Hey there slacker! Whatcha doing?” Chase said. I just looked at him as if he was a strange alien species from another planet. Man! He speaks just like my brother. Weird. Next thing you know my mom breaks news that Chase happens to be a long lost son and that he’s going to stay and live with us for the rest of our lives. I cringed at the thought of Chase living in our house. He’d probably just help Danny make a total mess.

“What do you want?!” I said coldly. I was doing a painting at my secret hiding place—the roof top. It was the place where the garden club placed plants and flowers and all their stuff since they didn’t have any place else to put them. It was my free period and I wanted to be alone. I snuck in here after they finished putting their plants in the over sized greenhouse. This place was kind of like my special haven—only this was at school. I was trying to paint the newly planted roses by the greenhouse until Chase came in and disturbed me. How the hell did he even find me here???

Instead of answering me, he just shrugged past me and sat on the old-fashioned bench next to where I was working.

Then he gave some ‘constructive criticism’ about my work which irritated me to death. “You know you’re putting too much color on the leaves. You should focus on the roses since they’re like the focal point. Oh and try not smudge some green into the flower cause it’ll look ugly. Wait! You’re not using the right brush and—”

“Okay! Stop! I don’t wanna hear anymore of your confounded nagging! If you want leaves with less color, go make your own painting! I think I know what I’m trying to do here so just butt off!!!” I practically screamed at his face.

“Whoa, whoa. Easy warrior goddess! I was just trying to help,” he said, throwing his arms up in an innocent gesture.

“Last time you helped, clay splattered on the floor.” I said icily.

I quickly grabbed my easel, gathered my things and began marching off to the stairs like a stubborn five year-old girl. I could finish my painting later, when that annoying dingbat known as Chase Henman leaves me alone.

“Hey, wait, where are you going?” he stood and caught up on me.

“Oh, you know, a place where I won’t be able to see you,” I turned for the door but he blocked my way.

“Move!” I ordered him, trying to make my voice sound terrifying. But instead, it came out like a tiny squeak.

“Make me!” he challenged.

I considered kicking him again but instead I just calculated my chances of getting to the fire exit on the other side of the roof top without Chase catching up on me. I’m not actually the athletic type but I’ve received a few compliments for having long legs and I guess that would probably help me run like a cheetah. So without any warning whatsoever, I dashed to the fire exit gripping my easel and stuff which felt like it was getting heavier with each step I take. I turned around to see if he was running after me and surprise, surprise—he was. I tried to run faster but that only made things worse. After I turned around to see if he was running after me, I tripped on a scattered pot and landed face first on the ground. I could feel the searing pain as a piece of pot sliced into my elbow.

OW!

Man! That hurt!!! All my things scattered all around the pavement and I could feel the slight sprain in my ankle and the bruises on my arms.

Chase ran up to me and helped me up. I wouldn’t have taken his help if only my sprain didn’t hurt like hell.

“Tsk tsk tsk…” he shook his head in dismay. “See what you get when you try to outrun me?” I could hear the mockery in his voice.