Chapter 10: Along Came Chase Henman

DURING ART CLASS on Wednesday, I polished another portfolio to show at the upcoming art fair.

Art is kind of like my favorite subject. It’s the place where I’m always at peace and where I could always release all my negative energy—which in this case is Amanda.

 I guess I got all my artistic talents from my dad. He was a great artist. He used to put up the paintings he made, when I was little, on the walls of our house. But now all those walls are blank now because my dad took most of his paintings with him when he moved out. I really missed all his work. Maybe that’s what inspired me to do more art, because of my dad.

 “Hey Kelsie!” I looked up to see this new guy, Chase something-or-other, talking to me for the first time. I am kind of pissed for being disturbed in my sketching so I just said a simple sarcastic, “Hi,” and gave him a weak smile before turning back to my work.

My mood, when I came into art class, was so good and I could not let him destroy that. I mean, it’s the only place where I can get a little rest from Amanda since Ms. Prada-shoes is too good for art and wouldn’t be caught dead in a place like this.

I was wearing my favorite, turquoise, Calvin Klein linen-shirt with extra long sleeves that nearly covered about half of my hands, my JAG denim skirt and the leather, vintage Zach Martini boots I bought last summer. All in all, a very cute outfit.

“Nice sketch you got there,” he said.

I looked up to see that he was still there, waiting for me to say something in return. It was obvious that he was trying to make small talk with me. There was nothing else that I could say so I just said, “Uh, thanks” and again, returned back to my work. He seemed eager to talk to me since he didn’t give up and seated on the desk beside me.

“Do you mind if I sit here?”

I looked at him more closely. Who does this guy think he is? I try to keep that thought to myself and forced my mouth to keep shut as I shrug and nod at the same time.

I was about to put my portfolio back into my envelope when he said, “Will you be going to the art fair in December?”

“Uh-huh,” Duh! I’m one of the best students in this class!

“Really?” he said with a hint of surprise in his voice. I tried not to let that get to me.

“Yep. I’m going to auction some of my paintings and probably do an acrylic demonstration, too” I said with a hint of boast in my tone.

Okay, so maybe I’m a little mean today. I’m not actually sure why, I just am. Maybe he’d leave me alone if he found out that I’m a much better artist than him. I’ve heard news about him being the best in his old school. Yeah right. Well, he’s in my territory now. I’ve even saw some of his paintings and sketches, too. I have to admit they were good. Really good. And that kind of made me angry, since I was suppose to be the featured artist in the art fair. I don’t want him to go stealing my spot light. Besides, art is the only solitary thing I’m good at and I cannot let him take that away from me.

“Wow,” Chase said. I could see he was impressed. And why wouldn’t he be?

“Yeah,” I was getting really impatient now, why won’t he just leave me alone?

“Well, Mrs. Macready wanted me to come to the art fair too. You know, show some of my work.  I was hoping you could make some constructive criticism on my work, if you don’t mind. It’s just that I heard you are a great artist and I’ve seen some of your works and they were pretty amazing!”