Chapter 25: Bimini, Bahamas

“AW! SO YOU CAN’T COME to the auction, then?” Chase moaned from the other line.

“I’m afraid so,” I spoke into my phone. I shoved Danny’s face aside because he was trying to listen to my conversation.

“That’s a bummer. How long will you be gone?”

“Probably about 5 to 7 days—a week. We’d be back before Christmas Eve, Chase, don’t worry. You’ll still get to see me on Christmas.” I giggled but then accidentally tripped on the part where the walk-a-lator and the floor met causing my phone to fly out of my hands.

I picked it up, with Danny snickering behind me. I gave him the evil eye and said to the phone, “Chase? Chase, are you there?”

“Yeah, I’m…ere.”

“Sorry ‘bout that. I kind of dropped my phone,” I blushed at my clumsiness.

“What…id…you…ay?”

“What? I can’t understand what you’re saying?”

“Wh…at? I…an’t…ear…you! Sh…it…is…cra…ppy…ig…nal!”

“Hello? Chase???” I screamed at the phone but Chase was already gone.

Well at least I got the chance to tell him.

I dialed Jared’s number next. He was actually the one to know first but then when I dialed him on the way here at the airport, his phone was busy. 

I put my phone next to my ear and waited for him to pick up. One minute passed then two, then three, then five. Still no answer.

Exasperated, I dialed his number again but I never got the chance to see if he’d pick up since my dad snagged my phone from me. “Hey. Why’d you take my phone?”

“Cause you can’t walk below the metal detector if you’re holding metal on your hand. Here I’ll put this with the rest of your things for inspection,” he said putting it on top of my bags which were slowly moving under the inspecting machine thingy.

“But Dad!” I cried, “I was calling someone really important. I mean, you didn’t actually give us the chance of saying goodbye to our friends.”

“That’s because we were running late, honey. Look, I’m sorry ‘bout that but you can call your friends when you get your things later.”

I sighed and walked under the freaking metal detector, cell phoneless.

After we’ve gone through every possible inspection, I rushed to where the bags were coming out of the inspecting machine thingy. There was loads of stuff: golf clubs, guitar cases, etc. That’s why it took me a long time to find my bag. When I found mine sandwiched between two bags, I immediately took it and my phone and checked to see if Jared answered. But all I saw was a black screen.

I pushed the on/off button but nothing happened. I even tried tapping it on the palm of my hand but it still wouldn’t turn on. I showed it to my dad who was lining up in a queue for our flight.

“Dad, can you fix my phone. It won’t turn on,” I said handing him my Sony Ericsson.

He inspected it and handed it back to me, much to my surprise. “I think it’s broken, sweetie. You can tell ‘cause there’s a crack at the back.” He showed me.

I gasped, “Oh no! That must’ve been from when I dropped it back at the walk-a-lator! Aw, dammit!!! You sure you can’t fix it?”

“We can try to fix it. But we’ll have to go ask someone who specializes in cell phones to do that.”