Epilogue: Chase Henman

Chase Henman's POV

It was when I grabbed a glass of Pina Colada from the refreshments table that I saw her, sitting by herself at the front row bleachers. Her pretty face sagged from boredom. It was clear that she wasn’t having much of a good time.

She was staring at the dance floor with a longing look in her eyes. She averted her gaze for a split second and accidentally locked into mine. We stared at each other from across the gym with bemused expressions on our faces. Her moss-green eyes bored into my hazelnut-brown ones. I instantly felt the urge to walk up to her. And so I did, carrying with me another glass of Pina Colada. Just in case she was thirsty.

“Hey,” I said casually. I sat down next to her. “Claire, isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” she said, nervously running her fingers through her long, corn silk hair. I thought about how it would feel like running my fingers through those velvety locks of hers. I quickly looked away from her for fear that she might catch me staring.

“You’re Chase, right?”

“Yeah,” I repeated. “Pina Colada?” I held up the glass I grabbed for her.

“Don’t mind if I do,” she said, taking the cocktail glass from my hands. I caught sight of her arm, which was bronzed by the sun. She raised the glass to her lips, drinking. She looked a hundred times prettier up close, now that I’ve come to think of it. A total beach babe, most definitely.

“So, are you enjoying the party?” I half-shouted over the loud music blaring through the speakers.

“Not really. I can’t seem to find anyone I know here. I don’t want to be a buzz kill by leaving the dance but the idea gets more and more appealing with every passing second.”

“Well, I’m here and you sorta know me.” I flashed my signature sideways grin at her. It always made Kelsie blush thought I know she’d never admit it. Let’s hope that my charms will work on Claire as well.

Just as I expected, Claire’s cheeks pinked like she just pinched them.

She laughed. “Yeah, I guess I do.”

“So…”

“So…” she repeated.

“Do you wanna dance?” I asked as lightly as I could even though I was dying to get her to have fun.

“Sure. Dancing would be awesome. Although I have to warn you that I’m not such a great dancer.”

“Don’t worry. I’m not so great, either,” I said, all smiles.

“I might step on your toes,” she warned.

“Oh, I’ll definitely step on yours,” I assured her. She smiled at me, not only with her mouth but with her emerald eyes. I searched those twin gems which were her eyes, wanting to know every single detail about her. I obviously didn’t pay attention to her before but now I felt like seeing her for the first time.

Suddenly, all the feelings I have left for Kelsie disappeared into oblivion. Everything seemed to revolve around the pretty, petite, blonde girl in front of me.

I held her hand and led her to the dance floor, feeling electricity shake through me with just her touch.

This is going to be a great night, I thought.

The End

Thanks for reading this. :) A thousand thank you's won't be enough, but one will do. :*