Chapter 13: Date Night

SATURDAY AFTERNOONS AT HOME with your mom and brother couldn’t get as boring as it already is.

“Honey, aren’t you going with Abby to the mall? Or with your other friends?” my mom asked me as a commercial played on TV. “You’re usually not home on a Saturday night.”

“Abby has a date with Brandon, Precious is downtown with Seth” And they left me here all alone, dateless. “Jared’s with his girlfriend, probably watching a movie.”

Abby and I used to hang out every Saturday night doing what any other single sixteen-year old girls would. But since Brandon asked her out tonight (again), she left me alone to figure out what to do so that I don’t die of boredom. And every second brings me closer to my funeral.

“Well don’t you have other friends?”

“Mom,” I rolled my eyes for the benefit of it. “Every person I know is out with dates tonight.”

Well, not really every person. But, near there.

“Well,” my Mom started to say but the commercial ended and her eyes glued to the TV screen.

I heaved a sigh as CSI returned to the screen. Everyone in this house is busy with something except me. Danny is in his room, doing God-knows-what in his computer. I don’t really care; I guess he’ll turn into a computer zombie anytime soon.

I stared at the brown and red carpet beneath my feet. It had some interesting shapes that I had never noticed before in the ten years that this carpet was here.

My eyes traced over a small brown circle enclosed by an almond-shaped outline that was abstractly hidden. Inside the small brown circle was another brown circle, only smaller and fainter. Only then as I looked at it more closely did I see what it was.

It looked like an eye—a brown eye. Like my brown eyes. But it isn’t exactly the same color. I tried to think of someone I know who has the same kind of brown in their eyes. Hmm…wait, I think it’s…

Chase Henman.

My heart thudded in my chest. Oh, why do I have to think about him?! Now I can’t get his stupid brown eyes in my head. Ever since I met him, I’ve been ambushed with bad luck over and over again. He’s such an annoying jerk that I want to hurl something at him when I see him. He thinks he’s a better artist than me, when we both now that it is completely false. I am SO much better than him.

But…he did help me when I tripped last Wednesday, even if he was the reason for it. And he did find my wallet, even if he looked inside and saw some things that were private.  AND he did try to help me with my sleeves during Art Class, even though my pot was ruined in the process.

Maybe Abby was right. Maybe I should be nice to him. Maybe he’s just a really nice guy deep inside. Maybe, maybe not.

Hmmm. I wonder what Chase is doing tonight?

I banged my head on the wall once when I realized that I was just thinking about him once again. Which caused my mother to say, “Kelsie, what on earth are you doing?”

“Nothing, mom.” Just going crazy.

Just then, the doorbell rang. I jumped to my feet and ran to the door, ignoring my mother’s curious stare. I was sure that this door is for me. Who could it be? Abby? Precious? Seth? Brandon? Jared??

I opened the door and nearly fainted when I saw who it was.

          “Hi Kelsie. You’re wearing only that?” He said as he looked over my simple t-shirt and jeans. But I didn’t answer his question. I had more important things to ask. Like, why the hell is he standing on my doorway on a Saturday night looking so gorgeous?