Chapter 9: Gossiping Girls

I WASN’T REALLY GOING TO do anything besides sit there and hide for the rest of the lunch period. So when I made it to the restrooms, I opened a stall and just sat on the lowered toilet seat with my chin on my knees. For the rest of the hour.

          Maybe I’m overlooking the situation a little too dramatically. Let’s see, I only humiliated myself in front of almost the entire student body, I spilled my delicious lunch on Brooke’s Prada shirt, my best friends are constantly bickering about my love life, and the worst of all, the guy I’m in love with is my best friend. Much worse, he has a girlfriend. So I guess my problems are sensible enough for me to hide in here.

          It was three minutes later when I heard the sound of three heels clacking against the granite floor and the door being locked.

          “Oh, crap! I can’t get the stain off! That Kelsie girl owes me big time! Doesn’t she know this shirt costs, like, twice her allowance for a month?” Brooke said through clenched teeth—at least, that’s what it sounded like.

          “Isn’t she that girl who is Jared’s best friend since Pre-K or something?” a voice that sounded like it came from Casey Lawton, Brooke’s best friend and a fellow member of the cheerleading squad. She has one of the most beautiful faces that male eyes have been following for the past year. Though rumors said that she had plastic surgery but they were never proven true. Casey has short blond hair with a bit of pink tint in the strands and blue-gray eyes often covered with a thick application of mascara.

          “Yeah, and so?” a familiar voice which could only be Amanda asked in an irritated-impatient voice.

          “Well, aren’t you scared that Jared might like her?” Casey asked innocently.

          Brooke and Amanda broke into hysterical laughter, echoing off the tiled wall.

          “Casey dear, I never thought you can be such a crack-up!” Amanda said breathlessly.

          “Well, I never thought it was funny.” Casey said—a smile clear in her voice.

          “There is no way that Jared could like Kelsie!” Amanda said, the laugh starting out again. As much as it hurts, I could only agree that Jared won’t like me more than a friend. “First of all, that girl is lacking in the hip area, she never seems to wear the right clothes, and she is simply unattractive if you compare her to me.”

          I felt a murderous rage sweep right through me. It took all I had to stop myself from bolting through the stall doors and rip her hair out of her pretty little head. Lacking in the hip area? Not the right clothes? Unattractive? I admit that my hips aren’t shaped very well but I KNOW that I wear the right clothes. I shop at Forever 21 for crying out loud!! And I wouldn’t call myself unattractive. People have been telling me that my brown eyes compliment my brown hair very well and that I look pretty.

          “Besides, if Jared was supposedly to break-up with me, I have back up.” Amanda said casually. “Which is, like, a very unlikely thing to happen, so I don’t really worry about it.”

          “I don’t mean to bounce back to Kelsie, but,” Brooke added, enjoying the conversation. “She has those two psychotic girls as her best friends!  Sure, they might have snagged the two most sought-after guys in Apple Valley , but please, give me a break! The Chinese one really needs lotion around her elbows, and the volleyball player needs to even her tan.” She said in horror.

          “I heard that Abby’s father left her and her mother when she was born.” Casey exclaimed.

          “No surprise there, I also heard from a friend’s cousin’s sister that Abby’s mother was two-timing her father that’s why he left her.” Brooke said.