8) The grand party

"Hi, this is Belladona Favorleigh speaking. May I speak to Jane, please," said Bella.

"Wait a sec," Jane's mother said and called out to Jane.

"Jane! Bella's on the phone."

Jane rushed into the room and spoke into the receiver, "Hi, Bella! How are you?"

"I am in the best of my health. I wanted to inform you that I am having a party at my house. The invitation cards will be delivered by tomorrow. I will be looking forward to your reply," said Bella.

"Oh, thank you! I've never been invited to a grand party before," said Jane.

"What should I wear? Bella, I don't have a party frock or dress."

"No problem, come to my house an hour earlier. I'll lend you one of my frocks and my personal beautician will groom you up for the party," explained Bella.

"Will you really do that for me?" asked Jane.

"Of course, I will be honoured to help my best friend. Haven't you heard, A friend in need..." said Bella.

"Is a friend indeed," chanted Jane.

Then they both started laughing. Bella's polite, low laugh and Jane's loud, hearty one. They talked some more then Bella said goodbye and replaced the receiver on the cradle.

Bella had her own private number so it didn't matter in the least if she used the phone for hours. But she wasn't the sort of a girl who made friends or called someone over or chatted with anyone. Jane was not just a common girl whom she talked to or shared things with, she was a girl Bella could trust.

Bella was annoyed that her mother didn't like her one and only friend. Bella didn't even tell her that she was inviting Jane to her party. She was determined not to introduce Jane to her till the very end of the party or else her mother would spoil it somehow.

As arranged, Jane came an hour earlier. Fortunately, Bella's mother was not home. They got ready for the party before their other classmates arrived.

Jane was a pretty girl but her prettiness was hidden behind a mask of poverty. She had two elder sisters and a younger sister and a brother. Her father did not have much money to spend on all five of his kids.

None of her classmates made any sarcastic remark about her because she was arm in arm with Bella all the time. Also they were having too much fun to spoil it by being rude and Jane really did look pretty. They played games and had a delicious feast afterwards.

There were sandwiches, pizzas, spring rolls, canapés, pasta, chicken nuggets and chicken sausages; in the first course.

In the second course there were all kinds of desserts like cakes, ice creams, jellies, tarts, pies, meringues, croquembouche, bowls of trifles, puddings, mousses and many more; all of different flavour and colour.

All the kids had the time of their lives. Jane for once enjoyed herself at a party. She had only heard of these delicacies before but she had never had a chance to stuff them down her throat before.

Bella's mother was also good to her. She liked the pretty girl with a beautiful frock and dainty jewellery. Little did she know it was Jane wearing Bella's frock and jewellery.

"Belladona, dear," said her mother after the party, "I am glad you didn't invite Jane to your party. I quite liked the girl you played with. So different from the dull and plain Jane you talk about."

"Mother, did you like my friend?" asked Bella.

"Of course, dear, she looked quite rich," answered her mother.