9) The rich snob

"Hey Wilfrid! That was a great shot yesterday."

"Yeah! We didn't know you had it in you."

"Why did you leave before the party yesterday?"

"Yes, why did you? We missed you so much."

"Wanna sit with me at lunch, Wilfrid?" asked a ninth grader.

All the seventh graders except Wilfrid gasped. Wow! How wonderful would it be to sit with the most popular boy in the ninth grade.

"No! He won't sit with you. He will sit with me," yelled Calvin Hoover, the richest boy in school.

"Who says? He'll sit with me as I am the captain of the team," said Frank Johnson.

"Well, who do you want to sit with?" asked someone.

"Who? Me!" asked Wilfrid, amazed.

"Yes, you!" said Frank impatiently.

"Oh! I dunno. I'll sit with my class fellows at my ordinary seventh grade table," answered Wilfrid.

"What?" shouted the ninth grader.

"Everyone jeered at my class fellows because of me. Now you want to cheer instead of jeer, then cheer us all," Wilfrid explained.

A babble of talk exploded around him. Everyone was astonished at his answer.

The seventh graders were glad and Frank appreciated his loyalty. The ninth grader dismissed the matter thinking it was a silly decision on Wilfrid's part. Some people even thought that it was Wilfrid's stunt to induce people to gossip about him even more. Only Calvin felt that Wilfrid had insulted him in front of the whole school by rejecting his offer. He felt it as a blow to his dignity.

"I'll make him pay. I'll grind him, crush him, stamp on him. Arghhh!" he couldn't think of anything bad enough to do to poor Wilfrid.

He was too engrossed in these bitter thoughts to think clearly that no matter what he does, Wilfrid wouldn't care. He never got upset, scared, excited, sad or even happy. He never expressed any kind of emotion.

Calvin's father played in money. He was an only child. He was spoiled by his father and pampered by his mother. An army of servants was always at hand. He was quite used to giving orders and having them obeyed. As soon as the words escaped his lips, they were fulfilled at once.

His father was a very successful businessman. He owned three steel mills, seventeen cafés, twenty six hotels and thirteen plazas across the country. He was planning to increase the number of the plazas from the unlucky number to a non-unlucky number. He was afraid that the unlucky number of plazas will bring him loss.

Like many other businessmen he was also proud and snobbish. He turned up his nose at this and he turned up his nose at that, like a stuck up child. He rejected this and he rejected that, like a stubborn child. He wanted the best of evrything for himself, his wife and his son.

He wanted to send his son to the most expensive school in the city. But Calvin wanted to go to a school where he could show of his wealth without being competed by any other rich kid, having equal or more amount of wealth. He wanted to be the 'Big Boss'. He wanted to be the richest, most amazing, most handsome and most popular boy in the whole school.

Of course his father wouldn't, just wouldn't hear of sending his son to a lowdown, middle class, sloppy school. What would his family friends and relatives say? He would be embarrassed to death by their remarks.

A home war broke out between Calvin and his father. In the end, as usual, Mrs. Hoover settled the matter. Mr. Hoover acted upon her advice at once.

He enrolled his son to the expensive school of his choice. Every month, he paid double fees to get a fake certificate from the school. It usually expressed compliments on Calvin's amazing studies, sports, debates or arts. A copy of every certificate was framed and hung in every room of the house.

Calvin's father basked in the non-genuine, hearty praises of his friends and relatives. He was as happy as he could be.

On the other hand, Calvin secured admission to the school he wanted to. Calvin was more than happy. In fact, he was ecstatic. He had the whole school under his thumb. He ordered everyone around. He made other kids do his homework, polish his shoes, clean his desk, sharpen his pencils and much much more.

He was also popular with the teachers, as they were continuly bribed by his father. No one scolded him or punished him. He was, surprisingly, at the top in every test and quiz. Even if he crossed the finish line at the end, he was always the one to receive the trophie.

Some of the kids were afraid of him while the others obeyed him to get wonderful gifts in return. Quite a few of the students remained at a safe distance and disappeared whenever he was about to snap out an order. Everyone loathed him, but no one opposed him openly.

Calvin basked in the admiration of his so-called friends and followers.

Like father, like son. Both were happy and satisfied by the success of their plan.

Today, someone had the guts to reject him. How dared he?

Wilfrid had a rough day at school. He was punished without any reason. He got an 'F' on every test. He was kept in at recess. He was given detention and goodness knows what. He found out that it was Calvin's way for paying him out. (Calvin was boasting openly about it.) No one knew how long the revenge would last.

His luck at home was no better.

His cat, Mittens, scratched him.

His father was working late so he had to cook dinner. He burnt his hand on the hot stove.

He fell down the stairs, tore his jeans and scraped his knee.

He accidently broke his father's favourite teacup.

That was not all, he also mixed up the coloured clothes with the white ones, while doing the laundry.

When his father came home and found out about the mishaps, he was surprised and concerned.

"Do you feel well, Wilfrid? I think you are sick or something. Go upstairs to bed. I'll take your temperature and give you a sleeping pill," said his father.

Wilfrid nodded like an obedient son and turned to go upstairs. He tripped over a carpet fold, lost his balance and crashed down, face first to the hard floor. Blood poured out of his nose.

He began to think that the strange tensed feeling he had when he woke up in the morning was not to be ignored.

His sixth sense warned him that the worst was yet to come.

Author's note :

I am very glad that I have rewritten this chapter very quickly. Please vote, comment and share.

Who is your favourite character from the five? And why?

If I don't update for eternity, who would you miss from the five? Do tell me in the comments.

Bye.