7) The kidnapping

Richie sat on his bed, waiting for Pat. Jake came into the room banging the door behind him.

"Do you know where Pat is?" asked Richie.

"Yup! He's with Mrs. Pierce," said Jake.

"Not out of the ordinary," said Richie. "He landed himself into trouble again, didn't he?"

"Well it wasn't his fault this time," Jake tried to defend his friend.

"I'm going for a walk," said Richie. "And when Pat comes back, tell him that he missed the walk due to his own foolishness."

He got up and left.

Richie walked down the street. He turned around and looked at the huge building of the orphanage with an expression of intense dislike on his face. He scowled at the building and turned away. He tried to push out all thoughts of the orphanage from his mind and enjoy his walk. He turned some corners and found himself on a busy street. He was jogging on the pavement when a car stopped beside him.

"Hey boy! Do you know the way to the post office?"

Richie looked up and saw two people sitting in the car. The one on the driving seat had addressed him. The man sitting beside him wore dark glasses and a hard expression on his face. But dark glasses didn't prevent Richie from reading his mind.

Richie was quite shocked by his thoughts. He quickly explained a very long way to the post office.

The driver pushed the accelerator and drove off without a word of thanks.

Richie ran all the way to the police station and quickly related that he had met two robbers who planned to send two robbed diamonds to someone through the post.

"And how did you come to know about this, my boy," asked the constable.

"I... I'm sure they are robbers and they asked the way to the post office, so I guessed their plan," said Richie lamely. "And... and I saw them come out of the bank," he added untruthfully, to convince the constable.

"I think you read a lot of detective novels," said the constable with a smirk.

"No, sir. Please, believe me. Let me talk to the inspector," he said.

"I can't let you waste hus precious time. Run along now, little boy. Tell your story to someone your age," said the constable, laughing.

But Richie was determined to make him believe without exposing his powers.

"You can at least call alt the bank to check if everything's alright," said Richie.

"Don't you think they will call if something's not right," said the constable coolly.

Richie felt foolish. He felt sure that now the robbers would be off and away by the time the police got there. He stomped out of the police station angrily.

The constable felt a little bit uneasy. He didn't want to make a fool out of himself by calling the bank and inquiring about a robbery that never happened. But it was his duty to make a report of any complaint, suggestion or even a story; and send it to the inspector. He decided to send the complete story to the inspector and let him handle everything.

He shouted to Richie to come back. Richie turned back with a surprised look on his face.

"Ahem... I decided to make a report and send it to the inspector. Please give me the number of the car," he said.

"I don't know. I didn't think it was necessary when I knew where the car was going," answered Richie feeling foolish again.

The constable sighed and assembled the report with every tiny bit of detail. He wrote Richie's name and address, and also made him sign at the bottom.

"Satisfied now?" asked the constable with a smile. "Yes, thank you very much," said Richie and walked away, thinking hard.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The inspector rang the bank manager and inquired about the robbery. "Robbery? What robbery?" Mr. Montgomery's surprised voice rang through the receiver.

"Mr. Montgomery, we were reported that you are robbed of two expensive diamonds today. Is that true?" asked the inspector.

"Not at all! I want a copy of this report," said Mr. Montgomery firmly.

"All right, send someone to take it," said the inspector.

"Thank you very much," said Mr. Montgomery and replaced the receiver with a bang.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Richie sat down on a bench in a park. He could not figure out why the manager was keeping the robbery a secret. Why did he not report the robbery of the two diamonds, worth the whole bank put together?

"Maybe he doesn't know about it," he thought.

Richie shrugged his shoulders and glanced at his watch. How the time had flown.

"I am going to be late," he thought and started running.

Just as he reached the orphanage, he saw two men wearing blue shirts and dark glasses; standing at the front gate.

He sensed danger and turned around to run away. As he was running away he glanced back. The men had made no attempt to follow him.

"Maybe I am wrong about them," he thought.

But his fear was confirmed when he reached the end of the deserted street. There were two men in similar shirts and glasses, waiting for him.

"Come with us," said one of them in a whisper and seized him by his arm.

"No!" gasped Richie and tried to pull his arm out of the man's hard grasp. "Let go of me!" he shouted.

But the man had no intention of letting go whatsoever.

"Help!" shouted Richie but the second man stuffed a piece of cloth in his mouth to prevent him from attracting someone's attention. He gave a signal to the two men standing at he front gate. They came and pushed Richie into the back of the van and followed him inside. The other two sat on the front seats and one of them started the van.

Richie took out the piece of cloth from his mouth and threw it on the floor. He glared at the men angrily. One of them started laughing but the other looked at his companion disapprovingly and turned around to sit with his back towards him.

"Who are you and where are you taking me?" asked Richie angrily.

"We will not answer your questions but you will answer our's," said one of the men and started asking him random questions.

Richie could find nothing of interest in either of their minds except that he was going to be taken to a deserted farmhouse.

These men were not aware of the reason behind his kidnapping. They were probably greedy men, paid for the dirty work.

Richie was sure that something horrible awaited him.

Author's note :

Hi guys! I have been so so so busy with my school work so I updated late. I am sorry in advance that you will have to wait another three weeks before another update. My Internet is going to be cut off tomorrow. But I will update two chapters or more in the last week of January.

Anyways, what did you think if this chapter. Who is your favourite character from the five? Do you think Mr. Montgomery is a suspicious character? Was Alexandra behind this kidnapping or was Mrs. Pierce or someone else? Give your views in the comments and don't forget to vote.

LOL