5) The evil mastermind

Alexandra Parker was sitting in her office behind a large desk. The desk had 103 buttons, all of different shapes and sizes. There were four chairs in front of the desk. These chairs were different from her high backed revolving chair.

Suddenly a beeping sound emitted from the right side of her desk. She pressed a bright yellow button.

"Miss Parker, Mr. Herman Bruce is here to report an incident which may interest you. But he doesn't have the identification card," the voice of her secretary rang through the speaker.

"Send him in," ordered Alexandra.

The door opened and a strongly built man entered her office and stood facing her.

"Sit down, Herman," she said impatiently.

He sat down quietly and waited for her to ask the question he was already expecting.

"Well, do you have any information on those five? Do you?" she asked.

"Not all, just one of them," he replied.

"What are you waiting for? Spit it out," she barked.

"Do you remember our deal, Miss Parker? I want 50,000 dollars for this information," said Herman.

"Don't worry you will be given much more than you expect," she said.

Herman launched into the detail of the boy and his supernatural powers, exaggerating as usual. "His eyes were so powerful that he caused the sun to hide behind the clouds, and he ..."

"As it is, I did not observe the sun hiding behind the clouds yesterday. Stick to the truth," she said sternly.

"Oh, he's not in this city. Is he? As I was saying ..."

"Where does he live then?" Alexandra interrupted again.

" Let me finish, Miss Parker. I have all the details you need with me. " He patted a file he had brought with him and started bragging about the fight he had had with the powerful boy.

Alexandra did not believe a word of this unnecessary exaggeration but was forced to hear it.

"Any questions? " asked Herman at last.

"What's his name?" asked Alexandra.

" It's in the file. "Herman patted the file again.

" Where's my cash? " he asked greedily.

" Where's your card? " asked Alexandra slyly.

" It must have dropped when I was fighting that boy. I showed it to him to scare him," said Herman.

" Do you think I am a fool? I know you gave the card to the boy yourself. You planned to double cross me, didn't you? " said Alexandra.

"No! And I'm not even sure I dropped it there," said Herman.

" But you will have to face your punishment, " she said and pushed a card, with a pair of red coloured handcuffs on it, towards him.

" Miss Parker, I think you made a mistake. Instead of giving me a warning card you gave me the imprisonment card," said Herman.

" This isn't a mistake, Herman. It's a precaution I must take. I appreciate your efforts, but I don't want you running off, selling this precious information to someone else," explained Alexandra.

" But I am your most trustworthy ..." started Herman.

"Rubbish!" exclaimed Alexandra.

" You're as cunning as the traitor, Mir Jafir. He betrayed his nation and joined the English. He was responsible for the defeat of the brave Muslim leader, Tipu Sultan, who kept fighting for peace till the last moment. Tipu Sultan's dead body was saluted by the officers of the English army. Mir Jafir turned against his nation for his personal advantages, and I'm sure so will you," said Alexandra.

" No, Miss Parker. I assure you that I ... " started Herman.

" I'm sorry! After the brainwash you will be free to go. But till then you will have to remain under our eye, " said Alexandra.

" Fine! " said Herman, disgusted. " Can I have my CASH now? "

"Of course, here it is. " Alexandra opened the drawer in front of her; reached inside and pulled out, not a wad of notes as Herman was expecting, but a revolver.

" I made a mistake. I wanted to give you the death card. Thanks for all the information. Good bye Herman, forever. As I like to say, see you never. "

She laughed an evil laugh and pulled the trigger. The bullet hit his chest and intense pain shot throughout his body.

The last scene his dying eyes saw was the setting of the sun, through the glass pane of the window. His brain recalled the conversation he had had with Wilfrid. His head fell to one side and his heartbeat ceased with the setting sun.

Alexandra got up and checked his pulse. She couldn't feel it and turned around to take a look at the file. She opened it and saw a single piece of paper with five words on it:

" I am not a fool! "

Alexandra ground her teeth in disgust. So he had tricked her. The real information was hidden somewhere else.

She pushed a red coloured button on her desk. Two hefty men with rifles walked in.

"Take him away and search him completely. He has some very important information. You have only half an hour, " ordered Alexandra.

" Yes, Madam. " Both the men quickly picked up Herman's dead body and left.

Alexandra was waiting impatiently for the report. After precisely 23 minutes the beeping sound alerted Alexandra. She pressed the bright yellow button again and without listening to the secretary she quickly said, "Yes, send them in."

" Yes, Miss Parker, " the secretory answered and three men entered her office.

Two were the men with the rifles while the third was a short man, wearing big glasses and a lab coat. His thin freakled face was covered with wrinkles but his eyes shone brightly, giving the true impression that he was always up to no good and that his youth had been full of wrong.

" Dr. Finnis, what have you got to say? " asked Alexandra.

" Mam, we detected a microchip implanted on the back of his head. It was hidden under his long hair, " said Dr. Finnis.

" And you took 23 minutes to find it? " she said angrily.

" No, Mam. I tried very hard to get the information but I could not break the code. It's a very special chip. Please, you will need to consult an expert. I am afraid I may erase the data if I keep trying my way," explained Dr. Finnis.

" Thank you, doctor. I will hire an expert for this. You can go now," said Alexandra.

Dr. Finnis put the packet with the chip on her desk and left with the others.

Alexandra smiled to herself. She had a knack of cracking codes but she had kept it a secret. She may need to use her ability against her organization sometime.

Alexandra knew Herman's phycology very well. After all, she had known him for 21 years.

Alexandra was sure she could crack the code herself. She wasn't a bit worried. It was only a matter of hours that the boy was hers. After a long span of struggle an hard work, she was going to be rewarded at last.

Alexandra was dead sure that as soon as she caught one of them, the remaining four will fall into her trap, one by one, like unsuspecting baby rabbits.

She threw back her head and laughed for all she was worth.