Twenty One- "I Remain Silent"

Start from the beginning

"It's up to you. It's really only dinner" she didn't look back at me.

I opted to not do that as yet.

Yes, Lucas and I were on a good page right now, but we weren't dating, and inviting him over for Thanksgiving to spend time with my family seems very relationship-like. I didn't want him to think that I was some clingy girlfriend. Get it? A girl who was a friend, because truthfully that was all I was.

Yeah, inviting him was no go.

"Grandma coming over?" I asked. She nodded. My mother was dearly beloved by my father's mother.

If my mother would ever bend to having all of us move in with the old woman, she would certainly leap in joy. Even if her little apartment couldn't fit us all.

"She's bringing her famous potpie. I am definitely ready for that" my mother sigh dreamily.

Grandma's potpie was apparently delicious according to Jus and mom's opinion, but dad and I never really liked it.

"What about the Apple Crumble?" I asked and mom rolled her eyes.

"I swear she has you too spoiled"

Although, dad and I weren't fans of the pot pie, we were major fans of Grandma's Apple Crumble. It was delightful.

Scrumptious.

Everything and more.

I continued cutting up the yams in so much concentration, I didn't notice until my mother cleared her throat that she was staring at me.

"Are you and Lucas serious?" she asked, doing bunny ear around the word serious.

I blinked looking away. I wasn't ready for this conversation. Not with my mother. Yet.

"Raine, it's okay" she cooed, coaching me to open up to her.

I sighed, resting down the knife, "Well, he likes me and I like him, but we're not in a relationship. I'm not sure if we would ever be, to be honest. He says he's not ready for it" I scrunch up my face.

Lucas said that he doesn't want me in the mess that he's in and I didn't know what the mess was, so I really didn't know how long the mess would be.

"I wouldn't say it is ever. He has a good reason why he's not giving you all of him right now. I would wait it out, be friends. He would soon realized that he can't live without you" she reassured, but I shook my head.

"I don't know, Mom. He's really strong in his decision." I muttered.

"Yes and that's okay for him to think so much of you to not hurt you in any way. Just be patient" she tapped me on the shoulder and then turned to start finishing dinner.

We were deep in our task of preparing dinner when my Grandma waltz through the door.

"Grandma!" I screamed dropping down the knife, in which my mother nearly had a heart attack because it kind of bounce of the counter to the ground. Dramatic much.

"Hi, my precious Drops!" she cooed as I hugged her. She had this old spicy and sweet scent that comforts me.

"You're here already?" I pulled away, looking at her.

She had dark beautiful skin that didn't look anywhere wrinkled and a full set of black hair that she kept braided into two. Her eyes were full and brown with a wide set nose and full lips.

She was the definition of beauty in every way.

"Yeah, I couldn't wait and this handsome guy helped me" she pointed to the door and I saw Lucas standing there with a pan in his hand.