Twenty Three- "Not Only You Have Secrets"

"I'm home," I said walking into the worn-down apartment

"I'm home," I said walking into the worn-down apartment. I rest my keys on the table that looked as if any more weight was to rest on it, it would collapse and saunterted further into the apartment.

It wasn't the best we could do. We could have stayed at a hotel- a 5 star at that- or even rented a luxurious house, but our goal was to stay under the radar.

The sound of my sneakers was the only sound I heard as I walked along the very poorly painted apartment. It was a one-bedroom apartment. Since it was two of us here, my designated room was the living room. Or, what was supposed to be the living room. Truly, it was a room just a tad bit bigger than a broom closet with a very old couch in the middle and my suitcase along the floor. The couch was my king-size bed and so gross that I had to get a few blankets to put on it to lay on top of.

The good side about it, it wasn't uncomfortable.

"How was your day?" she said. I looked back at her. Her black hair cascading down to her waist and her blue hues shining at me.

"It was good. Yours?" I span around walking towards her. She looked tired. Matter of fact, I knew she was, but one thing for sure was that she wasn't a quitter.

I have watched her for so many years got knock down, but rose back up. She was strong like that.

"I could have had better" she walked away, leading to her room. She always said that I can sleep in the bed with her, but I would never do that.

It would feel weird, gross even.

"What have you found today?" I asked when she walked to the cot that sit in the middle of the room. Two of her laptops were open and just like the front room, there wasn't much in here either. She just had her cot, laptops, suitcases full of clothes, and two suitcases of what she told me to never venture into.

I never disobey her. Whatever she said was golden. Not because I fear her, but because I trusted her. She has never led me into anything that may harm me.

That alone was something to make me loyal.

"She hasn't showed up to school as yet" She looked sad.

"No" my mind reeled back on the last two days when the most peaceful girl I have ever met never showed up to school.

I'm aware of why she hadn't either.

There are guys-bad guys- that she doesn't know of that's just picking on her because of the choice she made to fall in love with.

She doesn't see that she is, but she is. She loves him, but he's not the best for her right now. He's not lying when he says that.

"I don't get it, Levi! I had everything planned out. I was going to win this and they just came out of nowhere, muddying my plans" she slammed her hands on the bed and I sat beside her, wrapping my arms around her small frame.