Kit and Tully - Tully

Book Title: KIT & TULLY

Book Genre: Young Adult / Teen Fiction

Author: MochaVonBee

Character Name: Tully

Nominated by: JessEubanks

About the story:

Love or Music! Which should they choose and what price do they have to pay? Love will give Kit and Tully a future together, but music can make Tully's dream come true...

Sixteen-year-old Kit has zero interest in new guy, Tully, a nobody who's always there for her...

Instead she dreams of Mac Whitehead, lead singer in a hot new band. Tully harbours musical ambitions and would love to be in Mac's band, but he also wants Kit to notice him.

According to local tradition, if they can wake a sleeping god on the Celtic feast of Lunasa, he might just grant their dearest wish.

None of them really believe the old legend is true, but once Aonghus wakes, it's too late to turn back... too late to refuse his offer...

Set in a small Irish town in the 90s, this slow-burn, friends-to-lovers, young adult romance is a story of first love, coming of age, friendship and relationships.

Hi there. What should I call you? Do you prefer a nickname?

Tully's good, that's what everyone calls me!

Welcome and thanks for agreeing to talk to us today.

Thanks so much for having me, really appreciate it!

Can I get you something to drink? Water? Soda? Coffee? Wine? Whiskey?

Water would be great. Mam lent me her car to come over here but I have to get it back to her as soon as we finish up.

Smart choice. Tell me a little about yourself.

Well, there's just my mother and I. School didn't really work out that well for me, so I feel like my life is only starting now!

That's great. Where do you live?

We recently moved from Dublin to Drimshanra. It's a small town and kinda' run down, but rents are cheaper here.

Do you have any jobs or hobbies?

Yeah, I was lucky to get a job because there is high unemployment here in Drimshanra. I work in More Video 4U, Axel Carr's video store. Axel Carr is Drimshanra's big success story and he's completely self-made. I admire him for that!

Music is my hobby. It's my passion really, but unfortunately music doesn't pay bills or put petrol in Mam's car.

Unfortunately that usually true. What are some of your likes and dislikes?

Life isn't a bed of roses, so you're better off trying to be optimistic and see the bright side of things. Drimshanra isn't perfect and most people think it's kinda grim, but Mam and I have a roof over our heads, I have a job here and I get to meet people and help them choose great videos. I feel good about the move and think I've been pretty lucky since we arrived here.

What is your greatest fear?

I worry about Mam. The move seems to have taken it out of her. She has less energy these days and is looking very pale.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?

I wish I could buy a house for Mam, so she could feel secure at last.

That's lovely. Are you happy we know your story?

Sure, I mean there's not much to know, but it's really nice that people care and are interested.

Are you in love?

No, girls tend to put me in the friend zone! But there was this one girl, Kit, who came into the video store earlier on today and she definitely wasn't friendly...

Oh!  Interesting.  Opposite question. Do you have an archnemesis?

No, I prefer to get on with people. Life is too short to make enemies...

Do you have any special talents?

I mean I love playing the guitar and I'm good at making up tunes, but I can't write lyrics to save my life.

Do you have a secret?

It's not exactly a secret, but I don't like talking about my time in school much. I never did well there. Even though I got good at hiding it, I had a lot of difficulty with reading and writing and I was always afraid everyone would think I was stupid. So that wasn't exactly great for my self-esteem. When I get to know Kit better, she'll tell me I probably have dyslexia.

Oh that must have been hard. But it's important to talk about these things. Who's your favourite person in the world?

My favourite person in the world is definitely Mam, no question about that. I often think her life would have been much easier if she hadn't had me, because she was very young, only twenty, and my dad didn't stick around. Her family said it was a disgrace and didn't want anything to do with us, so she had to bring me up all by herself. Things have improved since, but Ireland was still very conservative when I was a kid, so we felt quite isolated and it wasn't always easy. Money was very tight, and still is...

However, it's made us extremely close and Mam is great at staying positive, even when times were really tough. She's always believed everything would work out for the best and I love how brave and optimistic she is.

She used to have a lot more drive though, she gets tired easily these days. So now I need to have enough drive for both of us!

Your mom sounds brave and pretty awesome. Is there anything you want to say to your fans?

Fans? I have fans? Really?

It's true. Can we look forward to reading more of your story?

Yes, I've heard there's more planned for me, though I'm not sure when...

Really happy to hear this.  Since our time is up, maybe we'll get to do this again sometime.

Thanks again for having me. I really enjoyed talking to you!

To read Tully's story, click on the link in the comment here --->

Now it's your turn to ask Tully.

Add your questions as an inline comment here. Don't forget to tag MochaVonBee so they can get the question to him. ---->