11

A/n: (im)patiently awaiting two releases tomorrow. Anyways, here's a chaotic update cuz I've got chaotic energy. 

Shortly after leaving Kevin's house, I decided that I wasn't going straight home. I wanted to piss my mother off. She'd taken something important to me away, and I wanted to make her embarrassed of me. Sort of an eye-for-an-eye deal. I knew of a place that wasn't too far from here that would have exactly what I needed. 

I walked up the streets of the main road until I caught sight of the sign. It was a local beauty store that I'd overheard the girls at school talking about. I'd thought about wearing makeup in the past, and for once, I was going to make it a reality. I knew how to match my skin tone, and I knew how to apply pretty much anything I'd ever do. 

I exited with dark red lipstick, black eyeliner, black eyeshadow, and a few other things mostly just to smooth my features out a bit. I would just go home regularly, put it on in my room, and then come down in a showy manner, but not this time. I wanted this cut to be deep. And so, I went to the café that Remington and I had met up at the other day and used their public restroom. In that room, I gave myself a full face of makeup. Never in my life have I ever felt so in touch with my old nickname. I guess that the people had a good reason for calling me what they did. I will say, I actually look pretty good like this. Maybe a little bit girly, but otherwise I feel pretty good about myself. 

I grinned as I came closer to my front door. Maybe it's wrong of my to want to do this only to upset my mother, but she totally deserves it. All that I've endured has led to this. She's disrespected my religion, my friends, mostly just Jack because she doesn't care for his emotional mannerisms, and she's invaded my privacy in the past too. It's about time she got a spoonful of the same sour-tasting medicine that she's been force-feeding me for the last eighteen years. I opened the door and saw that my mother was cooking dinner in the kitchen. It was unusual because we usually just got out own pre-made dinners. She wasn't really one for cooking. When I looked in the chair in our living room, I immediately understood why she was cooking. There was a guest over. And not just any guest, the boss of the company that she worked at. I didn't know much, but I knew that her boss was homophobic as fuck, and therefore would probably give my mother a load of shit because of the way that I looked right now. 

But somehow, I still didn't feel all that guilty. "I'm home!" I called. Both of them looked at me. My mother's face was a look of pure shock. Constantly, her boss's face was a look of pure disgust. 

"Why is your faggot son looking at me?" She demanded.

A fire burned in my chest. "Homosexuality is not yours to disrespect. Let only he who is without sin judge the others, right?"

Mom gave me that look. The look that says that I should shut the hell up, or face the consequences. 

I went on anyways. "And how do you know that I even am gay? I could just enjoy wearing makeup."

"Oh, right. This is your goth, satanic son. I forgot."

"I'm a pagan, not a sadist," I corrected.

My mother slammed her hand on the counter. I jumped. I was really going to get it now, wasn't I? "Kellin," She was trying so hard to keep her voice steady, "why don't you go up to your room and do that homework that you were neglecting?" Under her breath, she added, "I think that makeup looks pretty good on you, actually."

A small bubble of pride rose in me. I didn't think that she'd take my side on this one. Then again, there's a surprising moment in everyone's life. This would probably have to be mine. I went upstairs, mostly because I didn't want for her to lose her job. I may want for her to be irritated, but I also like having a roof over my head and food on the table. Sometimes, decisions are for the greater good.

Later that evening, my mom called me back downstairs. I reluctantly went down and sat in front of her. We were at the kitchen table. She had her hands folded in front of her. The look on her face worried me. Had I been the reason that she'd just lost her job? "Your behavior in front of my guest earlier was atrocious." 

"I'm not sorry."

"I know that you're not. I hate my boss, you know that. I wish that he hadn't said that to you. But I also need for you to better asses situations. Can you do that for me?"

Negotiation was kind of our thing, but she was never usually this nice. What's making her act like this? 

"I also wanted to talk to you about your religion. I know how much your faith means to you." She sighed. "I'm sorry that I broke your necklace. I may have overreacted a bit. I was frustrated with what you'd done. I want you to know that I support you in whatever you decided." 

I nodded slowly. "And me leaving school?"

"You will never do that again. Am I clear?" Her understanding voice had become stern. I gave her a firm nod. She made a gesture that dismissed me. "You may leave if you'd like to."

Maybe my mother isn't so bad after all.