3

Rock music. Why does it get such a bad reputation all of the time? Between association with emos, the Devil, and various other things that are usually frowned upon, I'm surprised that the genre has achieved so much success. But I don't believe the gossip. First of all, I love the Devil. Second of all, all of that labeling bullshit is exactly what I want in life. I'd rather be labeled as something that pisses me off than invisible to everyone. And that includes Vic. 

But I have been labeled as something, and it's pure repellent. I've been labeled as the satanic, evil one that everyone must stay away from. Unfortunately, my name has come up with nothing to do with my musical interests, but rather my life's choices. Maybe I should have done a better job of hiding that summoning circle in the bathroom...

However, none of that matters now. Because I have to do something today, or Alex will kill me. If he can get the guts to ask Lisa out, then I can get the guts to ask Vic. I'd spoken to Jack during lunch, and he told me that I should just try to go for it. He'd already tried to ask Kevin, and that failed miserably. And by miserably, of course I mean that Kevin told Jack in front of the entire school in no uncertain terms that he would never in a million years ever go to anything other than maybe a house party that everyone was invited to with Jack. Harsh words coming from someone that was usually so nice. I guess even decent people have their moments. If Jack can still show his face throughout school after that, then I can ask Vic.

I'm absolutely sure of it. 

What's the worst that could happen? 

It can't be any worse than what happened to Jack.

So after history class that day, I caught Vic alone. I rushed up to him and began to open my mouth, feeling the words on the tip of my tongue. Of course, they would be so hard to get out. "Hey, Vic?" I asked him.

"Hey," he paused, thinking about my name, "Kellin, right?"

"Yeah, that's me. I have to ask you something."

"What is it? If you want the answers to one of the questions in today's packet, I'm not going to give them to you. You can figure it out just like everyone else."

"No, it's not about that." This is not going well. "I wanted to ask you to-" But then Andy showed up. 

"Hey, babe!" Vic said cheerfully to Andy.

"Hey, Viccy. I never got ask yet. You're going to prom with me, right?" Andy asked, eyeing me  with confusion.

Vic nodded. "Of course. Why wouldn't I?"

"Just wondering. Who's this?" Andy gestured to me. 

"This is Kellin."

"I was just leaving," I grumbled, storming off. "Je te déteste, Andy!!"

"Who are you denouncing in a foreign language?" A voice appeared next to me. I looked over and saw someone with spiky blonde hair and a red and black striped shirt. 

"Just someone that pissed me off. Don't worry about it," I waved my hand dismissively. "Do I know you?"

"Probably not." He held out his hand to me. "I'm Remington. I'm a sophomore. Who are you?"

"I'm Kellin, a senior." I took his hand and shook it. 

"So you know French?" He asked me.

"I'm taking it."

"Cool, cool. I'm fluent. So I have to ask, who's Andy?"

"Someone that just stole my only opportunity of ever winning the heart of my crush over." I sighed. "Not that you would care about that."

"I care!" He said defensively. "Romantic struggles are the worst. I myself have experienced some." He thought for a moment. "Since you're a senior, do you know my brother, Sebastian?"

"Can't say that I do," I shrugged. "But if I ever see him, I'll let you know."

"Nah, I was just making sure that you didn't have a predetermined judgement of me. And since you don't know him, that's a good thing!" 

The hallways were beginning to clear out. I'll be Alex and Jack are wondering where I am. "I've gotta get to class," I told Remington, pointing in the direction of the French classroom. 

He sighed. "Okay." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a business card. "By the way, I'm doing promotion for my band. You can check that out if you'd like."

He ran off before I could make another comment. I looked at the card. 

                                                                  Palaye Royale 

Not a bad name. I wonder what it means. In addition to this, there were several contacts and other information on the card regarding business inquiries. Very professional. 

But then it occurred to me that I was really going to be late for class if I just stood here, so I rushed to my next period. When I arrived, I was a minute or so late. I got into a bit of trouble for that, and the Jack and Alex shot me looks of question. I shrugged in response. I really didn't have much of an excuse. I got a bit caught up talking to someone is all. 

And then it hit me like a brick. I'd been one-upped by Andy for the last time.