17

I raced up my stairs in a fury of twisted emotions. There were two paths that I could take. I could choose to resurrect Jaime, and prove to Vic that black magic isn't all for hurting people, or I could give it all up. I looked around my room. There was a banner with a pentagram on one of my walls. I'd pinned it up over a year ago. And in that moment, my fingers touched its fabric, and I tore it down. I ripped it a bit, for the fabric wasn't strong, but I saw that behind it was a bare wall that I hadn't seen in forever. I went under my bed and found my stash of candles, various summoning circles, books, a ouijia board, and other various items for communicating with spirits. I collected all of them in a bin, and then I found a matchbox and lit one of the matches inside of it. I set it on fire, and then I threw it out the window, which I'd just opened. It was a windy day, so the fire would go out shortly. 

There was a knock at my door. "Kellin? I just saw a fire come from you window!" My mother exclaimed, sounding overly concerned. I opened my door and looked at her, feeling tears well up in my eyes. 

"I'm done with it. I hurt so many people, Mom!" A pain welled up in my chest. Vic was right, I was a total asshole, and it was all Satan's fault.

"Oh, sweetie," She sighed, hugging me. "Is this about your friend in the hospital?"

I hugged her back. "It's about him, it's about you, it's about Jack and Alex. It's about Kevin."

I received no response. Secretly, I think that my mother is very happy that I've given all of this up. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time. 

"I'm going to make this right," I whispered. I let her go. "I've gotta go and see Kev." I grabbed my shoes, which were right next to my bedroom door, and then I ran out of the house.

Shortly later, I arrived at the front door of Kev's house. I could hear loud music coming from inside. Is he having a party? I didn't even know that he could get enough people together to have a part. I knocked on the door repeatedly, very, very loudly. And finally, the music shut off and it was opened. There was no one inside of the house except for Kev.

"What are you doing playing  music that loudly?" I asked, concerned.

"Just listening to a new demo that my band and I just wrote," He shrugged casually.

"You have a band?"

"Yeah, it's called Ghost Town. We're actually playing a little club soon. And then, after that, we're trying to play Chain Reaction."

I shook my head. "Okay, that's cool. But I do want to talk to you."

"What about?" He asked, welcoming me in.

"About what I did to you a while back. I kissed you. And then we had sex." 

"It's alright, I understand." His eyes said something else.

"No, it's not. I was so cruel to you. I treated you like you were an object and not a person. I'm sorry." 

Kev was silent. "Kell, I just want you to know that I'm not mad at you. I get that you feel bad, but really, it's okay. On the other side of things, did something happen to you today?"

"I summoned the devil, and he possessed me and hurt Vic," I confessed quietly.

"You're done with it, aren't you? You're done worshipping something that only knows how to hurt."

"I'm done worshipping lust and desire. It's.....not good. I think that I'm not going to be religious for a while."

He put his hand on my arm. "I know how hard this must be for you." He looked me in the eyes. "If you ever need a friend, I'm always just around the corner."

I smiled. "Thanks, Kev. I've gotta go and talk to some other people though, okay?"

He nodded. "Go and do whatever you need."

The next place I went to was one that I didn't really remember. Somehow though, I managed to get there. I needed to fix things with Remington. I knocked on his door, and he answered it quickly. "What are you doing here?"

"I want to tell you what happened when I tried to bring your father back."

"Oh, sure, come in." He stepped aside for me to enter. "So what happened?"

"I didn't summon him. I brought forth an unspeakable spirit. I know that what you did haunts you, but it doesn't haunt your father. There is no spirit in this house. I think that he's forgiven you, and he would want for you to forgive yourself too."

Remington only stared at me. "What's up with you all of the sudden?"

"I had an epiphany," I muttered. "But I don't want to summon anything ever again. And all that I can say is that I'm sorry that you had such a difficult childhood, so difficult that it still hurts you today."

When I left his house, I ventured off to see Jack. Alex deserved some apology too, but Jack needed it more desperately. And when I got to his house, we both broke down crying and apologizing to each other. I think that somewhere in there, we really made up for the first time in a long time. My experience with Alex was very different. He seemed proud that I was giving up evil, but indifferent that I wanted to apologize to him. 

Then I returned to the hospital that Vic was resting in. And I apologized to him too.

And I asked him to go to the dance with me.

And he said that he might just think about it.

I am currently shaking while I text everyone that I know the good news.