19

"Kellin, I can't do this," Vic told me, his face filled with anxiety. "There's a pit in my stomach, and I feel so guilty." I'd come to his house to get him, as that's what we'd agreed on. 

I reached forward and squeezed his hand. "It's going to be okay. I know that you can do this." It felt different to be encouraging, but in a good way. 

"I don't want to go." He pulled away from me. 

I sighed. "Vic, please? You're already dressed." I gestured to his suit. It was black, and he wore a red tie. It brought me back to 2004.

"I'm sorry," He shook his head. I wanted to be angry with him, but I just couldn't. He'd lost someone that was dear to him on this day, and I would have to be understanding.

"You don't have to feel guilty," I sighed. "I won't make you go." I couldn't hide the tone of disappointment in my voice. Vic looked like he was mentally debating it. 

He walked out the door and grabbed my hand with a deathly strong grip, pulling me along with him. "I'll go, but we have to leave now before I change my mind again." Would he be doing this the entire night?

"Vic?" I asked.

"What?" He sounded almost afraid. 

"You're cutting off my circulation." I looked down at my fingers, which were turning gray.

He loosened his grip up a bit. "Sorry about that."

After we walked back to the school, we took the entrance into the gym, where the prom would mostly be taking place. Vic still looked sort of uneasy. I wish that I could make him relax, but I just don't know how. Once inside, a girl with oddly died hair, one side was red, and one side was black, came up to us. "Have you guys seen Chris?" She asked.

Vic looked around for a moment, mostly likely for this person that I'd never even heard of before. "He's over there." He pointed to the corner of the gym, where a goth-looking guy was standing, talking to someone else.

"How do you know everyone?" I asked once the girl was gone.

"When a lot of people talk to you, you learn about a lot of people."

Jack came up to us next. He still didn't have a date, but he didn't looked so bummed out about it now. "You're not the only one with a date!" He cheered excitedly.

"Who did you bring?"

He looked at Vic. "As it turns out, Andy. I know it sounds crazy, but he really wanted to go to prom, and we both sort of knew each other through connections. "

"So is he a friend, or your date?" Vic asked. There was a bit of edge to his tone. Was he jealous? I mean, he sort of has a date too.

"A date. We're seeing how things go tonight, and then he might take me out sometime later."

"I'm so happy for you," I told him.

Vic smiled out of courtesy. "Yes, me too." His grip on my hand tightened once more. Jack left us. "I can't believe Andy."

"In his defense, you have a date too."

"I know but....he seemed so upset. Maybe we're both moving on so quickly because we weren't meant for each other."

"Don't worry about him."

He blew out a breath through his teeth. "You're right, you're right."

For the vast majority of the night, we danced and spoke to a few people. The only really noteworthy thing is that Vic never stopped grasping my hand the entire night. Not when he went to get a drink, not when we left, and not even when I was walking him back up the stairs to the front door of his house. He claimed to be having fun every time I asked him, but he still looked anxious almost the entire night. It was bothering me, so I asked about it.

"How come you're so nervous?" 

He cocked his head at me. "I'm not nervous."

"You look like you're nervous."

"I just have a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach is all."

I shrugged casually, not really knowing what that feeling could mean. "Okay, well then. Goodnight."

He still didn't let go of my hand. Slowly, awkwardly, he hugged me. "You didn't let go."

"Why would I?"

"I was afraid that you might."

I returned his hug, trying desperately to do it while his death grip around my hand was still there. While hugging, I kissed the top of his head. He pulled away from me, and finally let my hand go. My fingers were all sweaty and purple, because I had little circulation, now. 

"Goodnight, Kells," He said.

"Goodnight, Vic."

I waved to him, and walked away while he shut the door behind him.